Sean Clare signs 3 year deal ( updated )

El Diez

34 minutes ago, Badonde said:

We’re paying 130k to get the boy so I would be hoping for a longer deal than just to the end of the season.  

To be fair it’s the only way we will get players like him and Demi Mitchell’. It’s where we are, and these guys harbour higher ambitions than Scottish football. We should be glad they come here otherwise we have no chance of players of their calibre .

if they do well and enjoy it , and we progress with them then there’s the prospect others will follow.  

Edited by 1971fozzy

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Bazzas right boot

• Deviskan

• Beast Boy

The fact that he has chosen us, knows we are a club going forward, wants to be part of that and put himself in the window at the same time? As long as he does a job for us, then I will be more than happy whatever deal he has.

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, Chaps said:

I can’t see us spending reportly over 100k on a short term deal.

It will be a 2/3 year deal.

Short term will Surley be a deal to the following summer, not this. 

Sign a 3 year deal, release clause 1 boom! 

7 minutes ago, Chaps said:

I can’t see us spending reportly over 100k on a short term deal.

It will be a 2/3 year deal.

Do we know how much he was on at Sheffield Wednesday?  I doubt we could match the wages he would likely attract from a decent English club, so can't see him signing a 2/3 year deal with us.  I think it's more likely that this is a guy who can improve our team this season and is worth paying a fee for, probably financing the overall deal from the Lafferty money.

Of course, he might decide to stay with us due to the lure of the Champions League next season, so we might still be able to get him to sign a longer term deal.

1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

That £1m increase was projected in line with a 4th place finish and didn’t incorporate cup runs. This season could see a huge increase in turnover even without the holy grail coming down to Gorgie for a wee summer tour.

It also most likely wouldn't have assumed sellout crowds on a regular basis, and I don't think I'm being overly optimistic in predicting that that's what we're going to be seeing at Tynecastle if we're able to keep challenging at, or even near, the top of the table. 

TwigTheWonderKid

Just an aside but I text a SWFC supporting friend about this last night.

He replied “He’s a talent. Honestly sad to lose him. We didn’t see much of him but he was just about to break into the first team, and for unknown reasons wouldn’t sign a new contract. I’d say you’ve got a good one, albeit he thinks a lot of himself... but that’s most players these days!”

Seems like we have the right management team and senior player to keep him in check. If he can acquire the same attitude as Souttar, Dunne or Cochrane, then it seems we have something special. 

4 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

It also most likely wouldn't have assumed sellout crowds on a regular basis, and I don't think I'm being overly optimistic in predicting that that's what we're going to be seeing at Tynecastle if we're able to keep challenging at, or even near, the top of the table. 

The finances are looking increasingly impressive. I think an added benefit will be the act of bringing almost everything back ‘in house’.

Every pound spent in hospitality, every pound spent in the shop, every time someone uses any of the conference facilities, every time one of us buys a pie is staying in the club and it takes time to see the cash flow coming through to the playing budget.

Ann has been magnificent, remember we got promoted out of the championship on a significantly lower budget than Hibs/Rangers. We then had a smaller budget for a couple more years as we got ourselves in order. The ‘in house’ decision cost us money at the time but long term has been a fantastic decision.

Leadership at the club is looking very strong with Ann and her team controlling the budget (helped with benefactors) and Craig controlling the football side of the business.

8 hours ago, Doc Rob said:

And more recently, Davie Weir, Gary Naysmith, Craig Gordon, Calum Paterson?

3 minutes ago, washniklaw said:

The finances are looking increasingly impressive. I think an added benefit will be the act of bringing almost everything back ‘in house’.

Every pound spent in hospitality, every pound spent in the shop, every time someone uses any of the conference facilities, every time one of us buys a pie is staying in the club and it takes time to see the cash flow coming through to the playing budget.

Ann has been magnificent, remember we got promoted out of the championship on a significantly lower budget than Hibs/Rangers. We then had a smaller budget for a couple more years as we got ourselves in order. The ‘in house’ decision cost us money at the time but long term has been a fantastic decision.

Leadership at the club is looking very strong with Ann and her team controlling the budget (helped with benefactors) and Craig controlling the football side of the business.

Ron Springett

7 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

That £1m increase was projected in line with a 4th place finish and didn’t incorporate cup runs. This season could see a huge increase in turnover even without the holy grail coming down to Gorgie for a wee summer tour.

What is also interesting is that we are such a healthy financial position, we have managed to invest as much this year after finishing 2 places behind the projected 4th place finish last year

Edited by davie1980

51 minutes ago, washniklaw said:

?spot on

i wish jj was my dad
12 hours ago, Smithee said:

I reserve the right to get really excited and make an enormous tit of myself if he signs cos it means we're only bloody going for it

Me too also. 

It's on and nobody is telling me different.:clyay:

8 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

Sheffield Wednesday playing in a half full stadium v stoke today :rofl:

a nothing club mid table with no hope, stagnating like an overnight unflushed pish in the toilet after a night on the sauce.

thats the problem down there. Illusions of grandeur. Bet they couldn’t of talked Mitchell into playing for them. Says it all.

Nearly 25,000 crowd against a crappy Stoke. They are a big club...!

27 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Nearly 25,000 crowd against a crappy Stoke. They are a big club...!

They are a huge club but for whatever reason a highly rated young player has chosen to walk from them. Their loss is hopefully our gain and if the hype is true a premiership team will sign him if he produces the goods for us. Love these signings as it’s all down to the player to prove he is as good as he thinks he is. 

Edited by rick witter

11 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Was looking forward to seeing the highlights of their game on MOTD later. 

Then I remembered they were buried away on channel 5 between Can't Pay? We'll Take it Away and Plastic Surgery Nightmares. 

Not on Channel 5 anymore. 

Its on Quest 

:unsure:

I had some friendly bants on twitter with some Owl fans but when we all cooled off they simply admitted they are well peeved he has left as he is a bit of a player with some decent potential ?

#GoodTimes

LarrysRightFoot
9 hours ago, CJGJ said:

I’ve saw some comments about it being a short term deal - i can’t see us paying a fee , a six figure one at that, to get him on a short term deal.

Unless it has some kind of clause that if he plays X amount of games it tiggers a 2 year extension.

35 minutes ago, rick witter said:

They are a huge club but for whatever reason a highly rated young player has chosen to walk from them. Their loss is hopefully our gain and if the hype is true a premiership team will sign him if he produces the goods for us. Love these signings as it’s all down to the player to prove he is as good as he thinks he is. 

Agree with you. My response was to Fozzy who referred to them as "a nothing club with no hope". Both Sheffield clubs are big deals with a decent history. Scottish football is looking refreshed at the moment and some young English lads are coming up here and doing well. Long may it continue. Mitchell, Kent, Clare are all promising players who maybe are acquainted with each other through international levels. Hope it sets a trend.

Edited by Section Q

Their fans have been wankers here but it’s just what you would expect from any club down there. They just don’t know their Scottish football.

Wednesday themselves? Proper great club who I have nothing but fond memories of when I studied in Sheffield. It would be fantastic to see them return to the top sometime soon. 

13 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I’ve saw some comments about it being a short term deal - i can’t see us paying a fee , a six figure one at that, to get him on a short term deal.

Unless it has some kind of clause that if he plays X amount of games it tiggers a 2 year extension.

Cant see it being less than 2 years if we are paying a fee. 

10 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

I think he'll be an attacking midfielder like Milinkovic was drifting out and inside and causing havoc ?

I said yesterday we still need something in the middle, someone to drive into the box etc. Could be him.

I’ll admit I was for hounding out the folk who just post pish for a reaction. This thread seemed to drag on & I though this was just another one of the “ITK heroes” type thread. 

Turns out it was actually me that talking pish!

What a time to be a Jambo! Are we doing this?

From Herald Scotland

“He is nearly signed,” said Levein. “It has been quite complicated.

“He’s still a Sheffield Wednesday player essentially because he’s still subject to training compensation and we are trying to get that all sorted out.

“I believe the paperwork is nearly done, and he should be with us on Monday. I can’t tell you how excited I am.”

you and me both Craig ?

12 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Agree with you. My response was to Fozzy who referred to them as "a nothing club with no hope". Both Sheffield clubs are big deals with a decent history. Scottish football is looking refreshed at the moment and some young English lads are coming up here and doing well. Long may it continue. Mitchell, Kent, Clare are all promising players who maybe are acquainted with each other through international levels. Hope it sets a trend.

I know they are a big club, I was really tongue in cheek expressing a ‘red wine’ reaction to the majority of their fans comments on the posted tweet (which carried the usual slagging of our league). 

8 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

To be fair it’s the only way we will get players like him and Demi Mitchell’. It’s where we are, and these guys harbour higher ambitions than Scottish football. We should be glad they come here otherwise we have no chance of players of their calibre .

if they do well and enjoy it , and we progress with them then there’s the prospect others will follow.  

Profile. At Hearts you get noticed more if the team is doing well than you do at a mid-table English lower league team. At Sheffield he gets local press only - at Hearts he gets National press every week potentially. At Sheffield scouts are watching 22 or so teams in that league or  several teams in a locale, whereas in Scotland scouts can zero in on top performers quicker... I guarantee that the same type of praise and attention afforded to McGinn last season will be on several of our players this season (and we'll probably hate it...). This season should see the start of Hearts making money on selling on players consistently. It is hard to make profit even on talent like Paterson and Walker when the team is struggling in mid-table.

12 minutes ago, CMc said:

Cant see it being less than 2 years if we are paying a fee. 

Yeh, I'm really curious how this deal is going to be structured. As you say, I can't see us paying a fee for a deal until the end of the season. He looks decent but not that decent.

4 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Profile. At Hearts you get noticed more if the team is doing well than you do at a mid-table English lower league team. At Sheffield he gets local press only - at Hearts he gets National press every week potentially. At Sheffield scouts are watching 22 or so teams in that league or  several teams in a locale, whereas in Scotland scouts can zero in on top performers quicker... I guarantee that the same type of praise and attention afforded to McGinn last season will be on several of our players this season (and we'll probably hate it...). This season should see the start of Hearts making money on selling on players consistently. It is hard to make profit even on talent like Paterson and Walker when the team is struggling in mid-table.

Good post. ?

8 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

I know they are a big club, I was really tongue in cheek expressing a ‘red wine’ reaction to the majority of their fans comments on the posted tweet (which carried the usual slagging of our league). 

????....... Glad you werent on the gin....????....!

20 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

I said yesterday we still need something in the middle, someone to drive into the box etc. Could be him.

You mean a 6ft 3in Colin Cameron.

rudi must stay
23 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Could be a good player to have in that space between the midfield and the attack linking the play 

Jean Louis Valois
4 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

What a squad we have assembled and Clare will be the final piece, I feel. 

Some minor tweaks in January and who knows how far we can go ? 

Potential goal machine joining on the 1st of Jan aswell, some squad

On 11/07/2018 at 15:47, Deviskan said:

Aye, we're likely going to outbid Aston Villa, Leeds, Southampton...Celtic and Rangers also credited with interest.

If those two are interested, he would no doubt have been up here anyway seeing them...and has done us the courtesy to hear what what we're all about.

But as I said...absolutely no chance.

O rly?

38 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Yeh, I'm really curious how this deal is going to be structured. As you say, I can't see us paying a fee for a deal until the end of the season. He looks decent but not that decent.

It sounded from the comments CL made in his STV Sport interview that we were trying to agree a compensation deal which I know some said did not have to happen if he joined a club outside of England but that's what was said.

If we are going to be paying a six figure amount then it's hard to believe any deal would be less than two years. I am also sure there will be a hefty sell on fee included in any deal just as he will want a release clause should any bigger English Clubs show an interest in him.

Edited by wavydavy

6 minutes ago, Jean Louis Valois said:

Potential goal machine joining on the 1st of Jan aswell, some squad

Incredible progress - well done, Craig :jambobanana:

11 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Christ I forgot about Vanecek.

:phface:

cant find the ticket office, forgets about vanecek. next you will be screaming for jj to bring on cameron

8 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

It sounded fron the comments CL made in his STV Sport interview that we were trying to agree a compensation deal which I know some said did not have to happen if he joined a club outside of England but that's what was said.

If we are going to be paying a six figure amount then it's hard to believe any deal would be less than two years. I am also sure there will be a hefty sell on fee included in any deal just as he will want a release clause should any bigger English Clubs show an interest in him.

The cost possibly relates to his age and development under new UEFA rules that earned Dyche BC money? Short term nature of deal probably relates to injury he had recently which is also probable reason that richer clubs have not followed through on reported interest?

47 minutes ago, cb1874 said:

From Herald Scotland

“He is nearly signed,” said Levein. “It has been quite complicated.

“He’s still a Sheffield Wednesday player essentially because he’s still subject to training compensation and we are trying to get that all sorted out.

“I believe the paperwork is nearly done, and he should be with us on Monday. I can’t tell you how excited I am.”

you and me both Craig ?

Some last comment.........could be  hell of a signing !!

8 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

cant find the ticket office, forgets about vanecek. next you will be screaming for jj to bring on cameron

Early onset dementia for Jonno I fear. 

6 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

The cost possibly relates to his age and development under new UEFA rules that earned Dyche BC money? Short term nature of deal probably relates to injury he had recently which is also probable reason that richer clubs have not followed through on reported interest?

Do we know it is going to be a short term deal? Presumably if the story is true we sent him for the xray to check out his recent injury and possible long term effects.

5 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Do we know it is going to be a short term deal? Presumably if the story is true we sent him for the xray to check out his recent injury and possible long term effects.

Only from what I read in the Sun that my newsfeed provided - also said something about him being ex-Rangers target of course...Clearly not good enough for them though.

Jambo, Goodbye
9 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Can’t see it being a one year deal if we’re forking out over 100k . 2 minimum I’d imagine. 

Could be similar to the Lafferty agreement. Sign a two-year deal but we'll not stand in his way next summer if he earns a move to a club down south with an open chequebook. 

3 hours ago, davie1980 said:

What is also interesting is that we are such a healthy financial position, we have managed to invest as much this year after finishing 2 places behind the projected 4th place finish last year

Yesh it’s amazing the transformation over the last 12 months. I’ll be interested to see if we cut the allocation afforded to the gruesome twosome if we’re still up challenging over the winter period.

9 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Agree with that. We also now have a very good chance of a semi final which would presumably be played at Hampden unless we draw Aberdeen?

All roads lead to Gorgie
9 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Yesh it’s amazing the transformation over the last 12 months. I’ll be interested to see if we cut the allocation afforded to the gruesome twosome if we’re still up challenging over the winter period.

Demand will dictate and I'm sure we will if that is the case. 

14 minutes ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

Could be similar to the Lafferty agreement. Sign a two-year deal but we'll not stand in his way next summer if he earns a move to a club down south with an open chequebook. 

Yea, hopefully . ?

23 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

While it's not impossible, I reckon splitting the school end and having both sets of fans relatively close (even with the gap) to each other would cause possible security problems.  Not only that, they would find a way somehow of getting a ticket and you you might find them sitting amongst us.

Hackney Hearts

It's one thing SW fans slagging our league (fair enough, we don't get obscene TV money) - but what is it with making out Edinburgh weather is like Siberia? In comparison with Sheffield, FFS?? Just Googled average max temperatures for January, February, March:

Sheffield     6      6      8

Edinburgh   7      7      9

I think Sean will manage to adjust.

46 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Only from what I read in the Sun that my newsfeed provided - also said something about him being ex-Rangers target of course...Clearly not good enough for them though.

They have to get a mention of Rangers in virtually every article ever written on their sports pages if only to try and keep up with the Daily Record.