***World Cup 2018 - Croatia v England***

Cade

Trippier, McGuire, Stones, Henderson and Pickford can all hold their heads up high...

but essentially, tonight was a perfect example of LUCK only gets you so far...England’s ran out when Mandzukic scored.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Hearts007

• Alex Kintner

• ri Alban

By the light
32 minutes ago, LesJambes said:

Is there any other nation that cares this much about another nations games? Or is that a uniquely Scottish thing?

We’re in a weird situation in that we have to watch English coverage of everything. It ramps up the rivalry and jealousy factor to silly levels.

It’d be like us only able to watch the season’s football through the eyes of Hibs tv. 

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Deviskan said:

The fact they’re being denied as well...makes them extra special salty ones.

LesJambes...your team got PUMPED!

Tbf, they done well and Southgate came across well. 

Having digs at Scotland as we have a laugh at them goes against what mainy are trying to say--that they don't care about Scotland. 

The tears and irony are glorious. 

Nookie Bear
Just now, By the light said:

We’re in a weird situation in that we have to watch English coverage of everything. It ramps up the rivalry and jealousy factor to silly levels.

It’d be like us only able to watch the season’s football through the eyes of Hibs tv. 

To be fair, nobody forces you to watch English coverage. It’s just that most people choose to. 

John Findlay
31 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Keane is loving this. Have no doubt about that.

The Irish pundit making rings round the three English ones. You bet your sweet arse he's loving it.

Just now, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Tbf, they done well and Southgate came across well. 

Having digs at Scotland as we have a laugh at them goes against what mainy are trying to say--that they don't care about Scotland. 

The tears and irony are glorious. 

I think he might be Scottish. 

1 minute ago, Deviskan said:

Well said Deviskan :clap:  

For LesJambes please make of this anagram what you will - LEOREM.  Saying no more mate.. :) 

All roads lead to Gorgie
7 minutes ago, LesJambes said:

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but it does seem sometimes like it goes beyond good sporting rivalry and into hatred. Almost like the sectarian crap you get in the OF. Maybe I'm wrong, I hope so. I'm not talking about this forum btw, but on Scotland forums I've been on in the past.

I think there was an element of that twenty or so years ago but I think we have matured as a nation and hatred is too strong a word to use now. It is totally wrong if it still occurs though. We do lack an impartial broadcaster to watch games here north of the border and I think a lot of people get annoyed when it seems overwhelmingly in favour of one team. When that team loses we perhaps over celebrate a bit:D

My bet's still on.

Southgate is a decent geezer.

England played the first real team this tourney.

That's about it.

Give the Croatian defenders guns in the final and they may win.

Bazzas right boot
Just now, ri Alban said:

I think he might be Scottish. 

Even more glorious then 

No sympathy reserved for fake English fans?

Makes his question even more ****ing stupid. 

Alex Kintner
5 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Pickford did well. Great World Cup.

Trippier, McGuire, Ali, Lingard, Sterling, Henderson, Dier too. 

Alli did nothing all tournament apart from score a 2 yard header. Sterling was awful too.

9 minutes ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

What a shite day to be a Tory.

:greggy:

What’s that got to do with anything? 

Just now, AuldReekie444 said:

Well done Croatia. 

They earned that victory 100%.

I was hoping England would win.

Me too mate.  Every word.

Seymour M Hersh

They got pretty lucky in their group and even luckier in their side of the knockout part. Played one team ranked above them and were beaten. But the BBC boy on the news was telling anyone who'd listen that England are now contenders. They just can't help themselves.

All they should be is delighted their slightly above average team got as far as they did.

By the light
5 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

To be fair, nobody forces you to watch English coverage. It’s just that most people choose to. 

Where else could I watch it?

6 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

The Irish pundit making rings round the three English ones. You bet your sweet arse he's loving it.

He couldn’t stop smiling - totally gets it 

JamboGraham
3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Not easy though when none of the UK based broadcasters offer an alternative...the best you could possibly do is find a way to pick up RTE.

Shanks said no

The spin will begin soon.

Finish 3rd will be the greatest result for England apart from 66

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, AuldReekie444 said:

Well done Croatia. 

They earned that victory 100%.

I was hoping England would win.

I was hoping the same  :cornette_dog:

Randy Marsh
1 minute ago, JamboGraham said:

Not easy though when none of the UK based broadcasters offer an alternative...the best you could possibly do is find a way to pick up RTE.

You could just watch it with the mute button on.  That's what I did.

Nookie Bear
2 minutes ago, By the light said:

Where else could I watch it?

Ah, I get it you want to watch England games but with Scottish pundits and commentators. 

I thought you were complaining at the amount of coverage English football gets up here. 

Alex Kintner
1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

Ah, I get it you want to watch England games but with Scottish pundits and commentators. 

I thought you were complaining at the amount of coverage English football gets up here. 

3DC57517-1216-4E8E-B37D-9E41A800386C.png

England got found out against another small country with a stronger mentality.  Not as small as Iceland mind you. 

Nookie Bear
2 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

This has been done to death. When Wales were in the Euros the studio was packed out with Welsh and it would be the same if Scotland made it. 

SpruceBringsteen
3 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

What’s that got to do with anything? 

I'm a sound lad Dannie, so I'll help you out.

LIST OF PEOPLE IN ABSOLUTE TEARS TONIGHT:

Piers Morgan

Ian Wright

Clive Tyldesley

Rangers fans

That wee weirdo MSP Thomson that always looks like he's trying to squeeze out a silent fart

Fat bald 50 year old bald men from Barnsley who have a swastika tattoo on their neck next to one of the Queen, and a pitbull named "Brexit"

Now Dannie, I'm no one of they Columbos, but what I've gone and done is deduced that not many folk on that list are big into campaigning for the Greens. Do you see now, or would you like a flow chart?

Just now, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Roy Keane, although funny tonight, talks shite. 

he was right though about the final talk and footballs coming home chat

1 minute ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

The spin will begin soon.

Finish 3rd will be the greatest result for England apart from 66

Nah

They've enjoyed it. But it's over and they built themselves up to win it so it will be more about disappointment. Its a downer not a brave defeat. 

Southgate is realistic too. They play Spain in Nations Cup in September so start again then. 

Nookie Bear
Just now, Frank1874 said:

3DC57517-1216-4E8E-B37D-9E41A800386C.png

No, not really  

Disappointed but not surprised. And it’s international football so quickly forgotten about when the proper stuff starts next week. 

Just now, Nookie Bear said:

This has been done to death. When Wales were in the Euros the studio was packed out with Welsh and it would be the same if Scotland made it. 

Whats it like to be...

SEETHING?

GIRFUY

1 minute ago, JamboGraham said:

You can temper it by tuning in as they KO and tuning out when the game ends. 

I've found my dislike of any English media nonsense greatly reduced by not being exposed to any of it.

1 minute ago, JackLadd said:

England got found out against another small country with a stronger mentality.  Not as small as Iceland mind you. 

There’s tedious then there’s you.

Just now, Oliver Twist said:

Cancel the Wimbledon final they said :rofl:

They didnae?

Did they?

9 minutes ago, Deviskan said:

Pumped 2-1? Come on, I wasn't really caring that much about this game, but you have to admit both sides had their moments. Although of course Croatia deserved that and more.

7 minutes ago, By the light said:

Well tbf we have to watch Old Firm bias TV as well as English bias tv! :(

4 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I think there was an element of that twenty or so years ago but I think we have matured as a nation and hatred is too strong a word to use now. It is totally wrong if it still occurs though. We do lack an impartial broadcaster to watch games here north of the border and I think a lot of people get annoyed when it seems overwhelmingly in favour of one team. When that team loses we perhaps over celebrate a bit:D

Yeah I used to hate the English, despite having English family and getting a lot of crap for being an 'English *******'. So I do get where people are coming from. I don't want to hear about England winning a World Cup any more than the next guy here. I've maybe hit a nerve so I apologise, and leave you all to enjoy the result. Now we can relax and enjoy the final. :)

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

I'm a sound lad Dannie, so I'll help you out.

LIST OF PEOPLE IN ABSOLUTE TEARS TONIGHT:

Piers Morgan

Ian Wright

Clive Tyldesley

Rangers fans

That wee weirdo MSP Thomson that always looks like he's trying to squeeze out a silent fart

Fat bald 50 year old bald men from Barnsley who have a swastika tattoo on their neck next to one of the Queen, and a pitbull named "Brexit"

Now Dannie, I'm no one of they Columbos, but what I've gone and done is deduced that not many folk on that list are big into campaigning for the Greens. Do you see now, or would you like a flow chart?

:rofl::rofl:

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Hearts007 said:

he was right though about the final talk and footballs coming home chat

To a point, every country will be doing or have done the same tho, natural in a pre set draw. 

I actually thought the media weren't too bad. 

Probably because they knew deep down they weren't that good and they hadn't beaten a big nation on the run to really go stupid. 

By the light
1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

I want to watch the World Cup. I don’t want the 15 mins of half time analysis of Uruguay v France made up of 10 mins of Gareth Southgate or Delli Alli interviews.

The pundits and commentators don’t even have to be Scottish, just neutral.

I don’t watch much English football on tv at the best of times.