Scottish teams in Europe.(merged)

Boab

58 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

So am I but Celtics midfield was better. I forget McGinn wasn’t a Celtic youth player he just failed a trial ?. Celtic and Hibs both got another Man City winger, how many players do they loan out btw ?, and they have a small squad that Lennon wants to add to. Let’s hope they go out next week along with the erse cheeks.

Last sentence 

FFE692AF-95F5-4F94-BC24-5478591B96FE.gif

Edited by 1971fozzy

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1971fozzy

• Morgan

• graygo

• Bazzas right boot

132goals1958
8 hours ago, Elmore said:

I didn't see the game but according to some, Molde weren't that good. To not score against them doesn't seem like a good result. The only positive for Hibs is that they didn't concede.  I wouldn't class that as a good result  Hibs are out

Molde were beaten by Glenavon in the previous round but thrashed in Norway.Poor travellers so hopefully a similar pattern developing 

9 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Worrying number of posters on here suggesting hibs didn't do too badly.

I hope they are emphatically out.

They didn’t do badly. 

We we all hope they go out. 

Whats worrying about that?

I'm not sure how much I care about hibs in Europe now. I want them pumped out before the groups but until then it just seems like a load of extra games for a fairly small squad which could take its toll. Financially trips to Greece and Norway aren't cheap when you charter flights etc so I'm not sure how much they will actually make...great for the fans euro trips but until the group it's not that beneficial to the club's financially. I'm not suggesting I hope they win I'm just a bit meh about it. I also don't know how well they've done as I've no idea about the quality of opposition, I'm a lot more interested in how they do at Perth on Sunday, the tell give us a better indicator of how much they're missing the departed midfield.

9 hours ago, graygo said:

Is the defeat Aberdeen against Burnley and if it is does that not go down as a draw?

Decent coeffishunt points either way.

I was thinking that, bud.

I'll check.

10 hours ago, PhoenixHearts said:

Molde are a much better team than Hibs. They'll be out in a week.

they've been doin alright in the away games under popcorn teeth , wouldnt surprise me if they scrape through . Doesnt matter both would get utterly horsed off Minsk

10 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

I don’t think 0-0 at home is a good result at all. Better than losing but still cack IMO

Also better than 1-1 ?

kirkierobroy

Not a Jambo so must say I would be quite pleased if the Old Squirm got booted out (and I still think/hope Maribor's away goal might be significant) and your Leith chums stayed in. They're a bit of a loose cannon team but they could quite easily score away. Haven't seen the game but I understand Molde set up to defend, which surprised me.

manaliveits105

Apparently not scoring at home in Europe is the best result possible in Europe and Porteous should be in the Scotland squad (looks a donkey to me) 

GO MOLDE - FTH 

10 hours ago, 8skacel8 said:

The money Rangers would make from another home qualifier and then group stages wouldn’t be good for teams competing against them like ourselves. 

definitely won't be good for Celtic.

John Findlay

If AEK defeat Celtic next week. Do Celtic parachute into the Europa League?

If they do. Will the Green Brigade display a banner at Parkhead saying this rule is disgusting and only favours the big clubs? Afterall if you get beat that should be the end of your European competition. Getting in the Europa League after failing in the Champions league is no different from 4th placed team getting a champions league group place. Both rules awarding failure in my eyes.

Rangers game is far from done. Maribor cut them open loads last night and I don’t think they’ll score over there as Morelos is humpty. I’ve seen loads of rangers this pre season etc and they are 100% getting the break of the ball just now. McGregor never came for a cross last night and the Maribor man has a free header but mistimed his header, hit his shoulder and goes wide. Same boy gets one on one with McGregor, scuffs his shot, rebound is also scuffed and flannigan clears on the line. All little breaks that are making them look better than they are. It feels like a house of cards just now with rangers and they are one result away from it crumbling. Any team that attacks them ie Celtic etc I think could destroy them. 

PS. I have a family connection at Ibrox now for the next 4 years, hence the reason for being at the games. 

Edited by busby1985

32 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

If they do. Will the Green Brigade display a banner at Parkhead saying this rule is disgusting and only favours the big clubs? Afterall if you get beat that should be the end of your European competition. Getting in the Europa League after failing in the Champions league is no different from 4th placed team getting a champions league group place. Both rules awarding failure in my eyes.

Think Celtic would play the final Europa League qualifier to get into the groups.

If they knock out Athens but lose final qualifier they go straight into Europa League. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
41 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I agree John. They should protest with their withdrawal eh.

Hard of thinking though, they have benefitted from this only last season, at the later knockout stage.

John Findlay
16 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Think Celtic would play the final Europa League qualifier to get into the groups.

If they knock out Athens but lose final qualifier they go straight into Europa League. 

So either way they benefit from failing.

As I said I await the Green Brigade's protest at this outrageous rule.

The Continental Op
29 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

If Celtic get KO'd by AEK, the have a play off  against Spartaks Jurmala (Latvia) or Suduva (Lituania) for a place in the EL group stage - Suduva had a 0-1 away win last night.

Edited by The Continental Op

The Continental Op
13 hours ago, Boab said:

Yip.

I tried to work it out but took a brain freeze when iI got to the small print. Will try again but winning certainly doesn't harm our standing.

From Bert Kassies excellent site:

Scottish co-efficient points gained to date

Cup qW qD qL #W #D #L Bonus Points Average
  dn
Scotland 4 teams
  9 7 1 0 0 0 0 12.5 3.125
30 Celtic CL 3 2 0 0 0 0 0 4.0 not out
30 Glasgow Rangers EL 3 2 0 0 0 0 0 4.0 not out
30 Hibernian EL 3 2 0 0 0 0 0 4.0 not out
166 Aberdeen EL 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0.5  

13 hours ago, Boab said:

17 games in from Scottish teams;

9 wins,

7 draws,

1 defeat.

Better then I expected at this juncture.

Of course, by this time next week, this thread might be as dead as dodo !

12 hours ago, graygo said:

Is the defeat Aberdeen against Burnley and if it is does that not go down as a draw?

Decent coeffishunt points either way.

BBC onto this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/45138169

49 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Better than a lot of score lines but good?

Goodish better than Celtic's score

Edited by johnthomas

The Old Tolbooth
16 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

I’d also add that since they’ve lost their talisman the goals will dry up. No Barker / McGinn / McGeogh / Allan.  They had the best midfield in the league last season and don’t have it anymore. Days of them scoring freely are over

Molde had 52% of possession, Hibs had 5 shots on target to Molde's 2, Hibs hit the woodwork twice, and apart from that it was a pretty comfortable night, although if Molde had scored just one of their free headers, Hibs would be in tatters. 

Bazzas right boot

Definitely time for everyone to get pumped out now. 

Pats on back, well done, blah blah, but the group stages is too close now so everyone humped out please. Next week. 

5 hours ago, The Continental Op said:

dn
Scotland 4 teams
  9 7 1 0 0 0 0 12.5 3.125

?

Thought Police
6 hours ago, The Continental Op said:

dn
Scotland 4 teams
  9 7 1 0 0 0 0 12.5 3.125

Need 16 to match last season

I walked down Easter Road last night, not long before kick off, dressed head to toe in Hearts gear. Only a few funny looks at first but then it got nasty. 

To cut a long story short, I'd karate kicked my way all the way down to Albion Road before the police stopped me. It took 4 cops, a limb each, before I was contained and forced into the meat wagon.

I glanced back up Easter Road as I was driven away (had to admire the great view of Arthur's Seat the Hibby boasts about) and observed the destruction I'd caused. 

There were paramedics as far as the eye could see, attending to all the gone-to-seed '80's casuals I'd swept aside. I shared a congratulatory beer with the arresting officers before they dropped me back off at the top of Easter Road to start again.

What? 

You don't believe me? 

It's true, honest. 

Well...just as true as the tale of the Hibs.nut who scuttled along Gorgie Road yesterday afternoon, apparently, and destroyed Hearts supporters with his razor sharp wit. 

9 hours ago, The Continental Op said:

dn
Scotland 4 teams
  9 7 1 0 0 0 0 12.5 3.125

:thumbs_up:

Any idea how many required to reduce the number of qualification rounds our clubs would be required to play next season.........or would it be the following season?

Edited by YellowSub

On 10/08/2018 at 08:46, PhoenixHearts said:

Molde are a much better team than Hibs. They'll be out in a week.

I thought Hibs were much better than Molde, whereas the Hun didn’t look nearly as good as Maribor. Strange game football. I think Hun will lose 2 or 3 nil whereas Hibs will get another scoring draw (1-1 probably). I watched webcasts from here.

just saying....

Forever Hearts
13 hours ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Definitely time for everyone to get pumped out now. 

Pats on back, well done, blah blah, but the group stages is too close now so everyone humped out please. Next week. 

I tend to agree but our rivals playing every Thursday & Sunday could also work in our favour. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Forever Hearts said:

I tend to agree but our rivals playing every Thursday & Sunday could also work in our favour. 

Aye, fair point, but £3-£5m for the likes of hibs or Rangers is no good for us

Hibs would be particular stretched you'd imagine if they got through. 

Pumped out now or next round please, no group stages for them. 

gorgie rd eh11
22 hours ago, John Findlay said:

A very good point. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on a green brigade protest though, i think scams celtic are part off are ok.

MacDonald Jardine
3 hours ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Aye, fair point, but £3-£5m for the likes of hibs or Rangers is no good for us

Hibs would be particular stretched you'd imagine if they got through. 

Pumped out now or next round please, no group stages for them. 

No. In fact are we not now into Armageddon by your reckoning because Rangers have gone a couple of rounds in Europe?

After sooking on some lemons to wipe the smile off my face, it's back to see how the three remaining teams get on this week.

The Hooped Demons are first up and could drop into the Europa League quite easily !

As for the other two, I can see sevco going through with Hibs going out.

Counting Aberdeen's second game as a draw, there's not been a defeat yet, which is surprising. 

So, sevco and demons going into the play off round of the Europa is my guess.

Bazzas right boot
On 11/08/2018 at 12:09, MacDonald Jardine said:

No. In fact are we not now into Armageddon by your reckoning because Rangers have gone a couple of rounds in Europe?

Armageddon? 

Nope, but they will be stronger for it.

In fact, they are on record saying they need European football. 

Aberdeen have been 2nd and rangers have yet to win a cup while relaying on soft loans  to compete. 2nd is still up open even now, rangers getting £5m won't help that. 

Just like hibs got a bump, rangers have yet to fully recover and become their former glorious selves. I think my points regarding rangers have held up well over 3 years. 

Back on topic, as before well done to all but hopefully all pumped out now. 

All have a chance tho, celtic have the biggest task to go through. Rangers should be OK but if they go 1 down could have a wobble. Hibs might get pumped, but if they score 1 they have a chance. 

Edited by WeeChuck'sHeed

Slightly unrelated ... but I'm going to the LASK v Beşiktaş game here in Linz on Thursday.

Both teams play in black and white so I'll be taking my Edinburgh city scarf !

...a bit disco
3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Come on the Greeks tonight!

Pile more misery onto these vile and hideous creatures.

FTC

No need mate.

:mellow:

...a bit disco
Just now, Morgan said:

Don’t understand D?

Seems like the French ways are rubbing off on you then Morg!

:teehee:

John Findlay

AEK v Tic KO 19.00 uk time live on BT Sport 2. Ch 528 on Virgin. May the Greeks be Lafftastic this evening.

Lafftastic: copyright of Nelly Terraces. Used by kind permission.

3 minutes ago, Barack said:

Perhaps...a comma?

Don’t see a need for a comma in my opening line tbh.

...a bit disco
9 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Don’t understand D?

Come on the Greeks tonight!

:oohmatron:

1 minute ago, Barack said:

What about this, instead...

:oohmatron:

:sadrobbo:  Don’t see a need for a comma in your line either tbf.

Just now, 1971fozzy said:

Get these weegie tramps hammered tonight.  Then same for their ugly sisters and B-Team on Thursday.

Now we’re getting somewhere.