• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maroon Sailor
13 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Yeah, before they over complicated everything. 

Although it does look like that car on the left is about to wipe out the wee lad and his Pa.

Unfortunately I never got to see Princes Street station as it was demolished in 1970 

b25lY21zOjNlNjVkZDM4LTgxMmQtNDkzYS1iNmExLWQyNmU0OGYzNDNiNDpjYWUzYTU5YS1jZWIyLTRjMjAtODQ5Yy0yN2Y0MDQ0NmM5MGM=-1.jpg

Pasquale for King
On 23/06/2018 at 21:38, Ministry MK2 said:

When did these stations shut down? 60s/70s?

I think the Beeching report came out in 1963, is dog walkers are extremely lucky to have these old tracks to walk along. Hopefully some of it can be revitalised to help ease traffic congestion and pollution. 
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beeching_cuts

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

After a crappy day that including me "having a fall" three times, I am delighted to see this thread revived. 

Hope you’re ok 👍🏽 

Welcome back to Maroon Sailor!

A wee question - I know it was called “Princes Street Station” but did locals actually call it that?  I’ve heard it referred to as “The Caley Station” (because it was the Caledonian Railway)

Carl Fredrickson
9 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Hope you’re ok 👍🏽 

Thanks. A bit sore but could have been a lot worse. School cleared the paths after the kids left at lunchtime today. Numptes

luckyBatistuta
19 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Unfortunately I never got to see Princes Street station as it was demolished in 1970 

b25lY21zOjNlNjVkZDM4LTgxMmQtNDkzYS1iNmExLWQyNmU0OGYzNDNiNDpjYWUzYTU5YS1jZWIyLTRjMjAtODQ5Yy0yN2Y0MDQ0NmM5MGM=-1.jpg

Same😞

luckyBatistuta
17 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Never knew Easter Road Station was behind the away end

Easter Road Halt (Hibernian Football Stadium)_ (Mike Smith).jpeg

I thought Easter road station was at the junction of Easter road and Albion road.

10 minutes ago, FWJ said:

A wee question - I know it was called “Princes Street Station” but did locals actually call it that?  I’ve heard it referred to as “The Caley Station” (because it was the Caledonian Railway)

Never knew it as anything other than the Caley Station. In the old days we were simpler, It wasn't on PrincesStreet so why would you refer to it as that street station, West End station mebbe ,but some would be "I am classy Councillor" probably thought Princes Street was snobbier. That was important to many in bygone days. As you can detect I am not in a good mood.:leveinnaturalorder:

6 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Never knew it as anything other than the Caley Station. In the old days we were simpler, It wasn't on PrincesStreet so why would you refer to it as that street station, West End station mebbe ,but some would be "I am classy Councillor" probably thought Princes Street was snobbier. That was important to many in bygone days. As you can detect I am not in a good mood.:leveinnaturalorder:

Cheers Bob - that was my suspicion.

Edit:  the name, not your grumpiness!

Edited by FWJ

Maroon Sailor
17 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I thought Easter road station was at the junction of Easter road and Albion road.

I thought it might be that side of the stadium as well but that might have been where the signal box was

315119003_EasterRoadSignalBox.jpeg.4a2e991ef5069e0051fcacfd2d0de3e2.jpeg520610427_EasterRoadHalt(HibernianFootballStadium)_(MikeSmith).jpeg.dc3a2cf0ea40003e463bade1eeca4381.jpeg

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor
37 minutes ago, FWJ said:

I think Princes Street was the official name for the station. 

2045821018_Princes_St_station_Edinburgh.thumb.jpg.7952fb6f53fba0e0ad9347758e419adf.jpg

Maroon Sailor
Just now, NANOJAMBO said:

OK, where is  it ? Dalry Rd ?

PS Welcome back !!

😄 Cheers

Yep Dalry Road - hasn't changed much - well at least on that side of the bridge !

Pasquale for King
48 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Thanks. A bit sore but could have been a lot worse. School cleared the paths after the kids left at lunchtime today. Numptes

Ouch, crazy eh 🙈

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I thought it might be that side of the stadium as well but that might have been where the signal box was

315119003_EasterRoadSignalBox.jpeg.4a2e991ef5069e0051fcacfd2d0de3e2.jpeg520610427_EasterRoadHalt(HibernianFootballStadium)_(MikeSmith).jpeg.dc3a2cf0ea40003e463bade1eeca4381.jpeg

That top picture is definitely the bridge at the junction of Albion road.

1 hour ago, NANOJAMBO said:

OK, where is  it ? Dalry Rd ?

PS Welcome back !!

As MS said, not changed much. If it was taken from slightly further back, then it would be a different story. Loads of folk converting shops into homes.

40 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

6A9FAF26-22CF-4E53-8339-BACA99B9464B.jpeg

Lochrin Buildings?

38 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Turnhouse 1976, Concorde fly past. 

281C9A13-5974-4049-91F0-E4114F4343F8.jpeg

Still looks incredible 😍

2 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

That top picture is definitely the bridge at the junction of Albion road.

As MS said, not changed much. If it was taken from slightly further back, then it would be a different story. Loads of folk converting shops into homes.

Lochrin Buildings?

Still looks incredible 😍

I've only seen Concorde once - on take off at Manchester . I could not believe the noise. 

luckyBatistuta

1 minute ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I've only seen Concorde once - on take off at Manchester . I could not believe the noise. 

Yeah, just incredible

And what have they come up with since🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Yeah, just incredible

And what have they come up with since🤷‍♂️

Bendy Buses and bicycle lanes👍

3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

😂 I know - it's been a while !

:yas:   Kickback just got good again!

Welcome back, Mr Sailor.

Maroon Sailor
16 minutes ago, Morgan said:

:yas:   Kickback just got good again!

Welcome back, Mr Sailor.

Merci Monsieur

ça va ?

Carl Fredrickson
24 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Buildings  -  Goldbergs department store, High Riggs,  Tollcross, Edinburgh.jpeg

One of my earliest memories is going to see Santa there. As a kid I was always excited when going to Goldbergs. Must have thought I was going to see Santa each time we went

Shanks said no
19 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

One of my earliest memories is going to see Santa there. As a kid I was always excited when going to Goldbergs. Must have thought I was going to see Santa each time we went

same here, was there a zoo or something on the top floor, certain there was a parrot. Got lost once when with my mum and granny, can still remember the terror of trying to find them. 

Shanks said no

Princes Street By-Pass Proposal 1949

This is a proposal from the Civic Survey and Plan for Edinburgh of 1949 by Sir Patrick Abercrombie. It shows a proposed Princes Street by-pass. The Plan notes that the interruption by the Castle and ridge of the Royal Mile of the two valleys through which the Dalkeith and Lanark radial roads were proposed to pass, creates bi-focal centres at the east and west ends of Princes Street. This meant that any by-pass scheme had to run parallel and close to Princes Street. The route was, therefore, proposed to run beneath Princes Street. It was suggested that it created an ‘interesting and important contribution to the amenities of this magnificent valley – the heart and pride of Scotland’.

The proposal is described as three-decker, the uppermost level being Princes Street acting as a service link road. The middle level, ten feet below Princes Street, was proposed for car parking and promenading. The lowest level, lit and ventilated by a colonnade overlooking the gardens, was the by-pass. It was underground at the Mound.

image.jpeg

Carl Fredrickson
2 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

same here, was there a zoo or something on the top floor, certain there was a parrot. Got lost once when with my mum and granny, can still remember the terror of trying to find them. 

I mind that - i might be getting confused with elsewhere but wasnt there a roof terrace too?

Worthing Jambo
3 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

I was just about to say they had animals up on the top floor. I remember some sort of wee monkeys?

Santa’s grotto at Goldberg’s was the place to go at Xmas.

Funnily enough, I got lost in Goldberg’s once too!😂

I remember going to an exhibition in the place next to Waverley station. What was it called? The shopping centre is there now.

3 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

What a tremendous photo. 

I look at that picture and find it hard to believe that the area of the Park, the Crags, Arthurs Seat were regular playgrounds and that we had absolutely no concept of risk or danger. We played rounders just down from the Echo Rock, further down the road under Jimmy Clarks school was a dip between the bottom of the slope coming from the Radical Road and the Park Road it was called the Basin. We played football there.  An older lad Billy Hughes used to play  and he was bigger than all of us and just bowled us over, somehow one day I was just in perfect position and tackled him on one of his rushes and he rolled for a long way. I was the hero for the moment for about a moment. We used to sledge from the Echo Rock on the road all the way down to near the Palace. Hunters bog had a shooting range that the Territorials used during the war. When no one was around we used to go and get the used rounds, lead bullets, would you believe we used to chew on the lead, no swallowing but some saliva I am sure went down. Further down was an area of small hills, we called it the Valleys, hours of cowboys and indians there especially if w had seen a recent western. Just one wee picture on a football forum but thats the value of JKB and the people on it.  I have just for a short time shed seventy eight years of my life,  had relief for a few minutes from my aches pains and sorrows because somebody posted a picture of three lassies siting on a rock. What a gift.