• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

23 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

0_street_views_-_forbes_street_1970s_wullie_croal.jpg

22 hours ago, bobsharp said:

Looks like St Leonards Lane/Hill, at Jimmy Clarks.

Nice one, Bob.

Here's the view from the top of Heriot Mount up right at the corner past the school, if I've worked it out correctly. :thumbsup:

Heriot Mount 1957 - Carnegie St ahead Dumbiedykes Rd to right St Leonards Hill left.jpg

21 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Down near Prospect Street (?) where the van is parked, Arthur Place behind the van.

Think you're spot on, J-J.  Looking at maps from late forties it can only really be ... photographer standing in Lower View Row looking at Prospect Place running down to the Holyrood Park, with as you say Prospect Street over and the lorry. Great photos!

4 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20191130_221812.jpg

Is this (the fire) down Easter Road between Thorntree and Gordon Streets?

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, ArcticJambo said:

Is this (the fire) down Easter Road between Thorntree and Gordon Streets?

It's down Easter Road. Don't know what streets though

15 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Looks like the old drambuie bottling plant up in flames.

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

1 hour ago, argyjambo said:

Looks like the old drambuie bottling plant up in flames.

Bit of digging and it was apparently the Courage Sports Club fire in 1984, formerly the Buttercup Dairy/Drambuie building, opposite Gordon Street.  The bridge further down was obviously the one coming out of Leith Central.

8 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20191130_221750.jpg

That section that collapsed over the taxi is now occupied by the Duke Street Tesco entrance.

2 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

Bit of digging and it was apparently the Courage Sports Club fire in 1984, formerly the Buttercup Dairy/Drambuie building, opposite Gordon Street.  The bridge further down was obviously the one coming out of Leith Central.

I used to frequent the club at the time.It was rumoured to be an insurance job,I can’t remember who owned it but it made sense.

8 minutes ago, obua said:

I used to frequent the club at the time.It was rumoured to be an insurance job,I can’t remember who owned it but it made sense.

There's a quote online from one of his children that seems to suggest that it was quite heartbreaking for Jacky McNair, and only apparently after they had just completed a disco/entertainment room with darts, etc.  Who knows, eh!

14 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

There's a quote online from one of his children that seems to suggest that it was quite heartbreaking for Jacky McNair, and only apparently after they had just completed a disco/entertainment room with darts, etc.  Who knows, eh!

Yes I remember that name.

Maroon Sailor
2 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

That section that collapsed over the taxi is now occupied by the Duke Street Tesco entrance.

20191130_221750.jpg.cd4ddc109586d7e57972096b2cdb3075.jpg.d0ec6d07c8b1e39c7e57638bb817f085.jpg

Looks like it was the wall of houses that collapsed on that taxi and car. Thought it might have been the wall of the station but see it never went out as far as Duke Street

0_street_views_-_duke_street_leith_looking_down_bm_jd.jpg.579a6a7f43f9fa9e2104d18d65bf41eb.jpg