***The Official Dundee V Heart of Midlothian Match Thread***

Bridge of Djoum

7 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Of course you're right.  :thumbsup:

Six or seven additional goals this year, sprinkled among the draws, would put an entirely different complexion on our league position and the season, probably put us in top 4.

Even if we use the reverse/negative argument, six or seven fewer goals sprinkled among the draws, would likely only drop us down one league position.

I think it's the dire football to watch that has most people agitated.

And it is the dire football that is stopping us getting these extra goals that turn draws into wins.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Six or seven additional goals this year, sprinkled among the draws, would put an entirely different complexion on our league position and the season, probably put us in top 4.

Even if we use the reverse/negative argument, six or seven fewer goals sprinkled among the draws, would likely only drop us down one league position.

Correct.    As Robbie Neilson will no doubt be able to recognise.

Some will argue that the two things (good football and better results) actually go hand-in-hand and it is probably a decent argument to make.    But results can also be achieved without particularly attractive football.     Probably with an upper limit.      We'll just have to wait to see if Levein decides to build on the 'hard to beat' foundation or goes for more.

Enzo Chiefo
14 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

14 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

It's the dire football which comes from the over cautious tactics.  The most frustrating thing is that our better players are being stifled and we are not giving ourselves the best chance of winning games and, accordingly, cups. The problem will not be solved by adding 8 or 9 players it has to come from a different approach to games. Either Levein  cant see it or his stubborness prevents him from changing his mindset. Either way, he has to change or be moved on. 

6 minutes ago, Gambo said:

And it is the dire football that is stopping us getting these extra goals that turn draws into wins.

We should have had a penalty and Laff missed a great chance just before they scored.

Our first half performance was anything but dire.

Admittedly second half was poor all round. 

21 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I haven't seen a lot of the matches this year, it sounds like more often than not we are average at best, there has to be some hope for next season with some of the youngsters putting in some good showings and getting valuable playing time!

38 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Very rarely have we been a team than won a lot away from home.    4 wins from 16 is sub-standard but improve the win and draw columns by a couple to 6-7-5 and you're about our average.   

In all games we have the same defeats as Rangers and one more than Aberdeen.    We need to turn 5 or 6 of those 13 draws into wins and maybe a couple of defeats into draws.    Then we're what?    15-10-7.    A much better picture.

The key is goal scoring.    We're a bit short on goals and it has cost us.    The football is also pretty bad to watch,  which is a handy get-out-clause for the seethers to seethe about if the results return to Robbie Neilson levels.

Amirite?

Fair point.

5 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

It's the dire football which comes from the over cautious tactics.  The most frustrating thing is that our better players are bring stifled and we are not giving ourselves the best chance of winning games and, accordingly, cups. The problem will not be solved by adding 8 or 9 players it has to come from a different approach to games. Either Levein  cant see it or his stubborness prevents him from changing his mindset. Either way, he has to change or be moved on. 

It's more than just tactics that lead to success.  The skill level of the players is also vitally important, and our recruitment in the last couple of years has, to say the least, been spotty.  

But it has to be recognised that high-skill players, or prolific goal scorers, aren't just sitting around waiting for Hearts to come calling.  Other teams are just as interested in those players are we are, and often those teams have more money to offer than Hearts.  Maybe CL's tactics are a reflection of the fact that our players are lacking in certain skill areas.  What's the old saying?  "You cut your clothes to suit your cloth." 

I'm not forgetting that CL is responsible for recruitment, so he is responsible for the results on the field, regardless of what the basic problem is, recruitment or tactics.

6 minutes ago, gator said:

I haven't seen a lot of the matches this year, it sounds like more often than not we are average at best, there has to be some hope for next season with some of the youngsters putting in some good showings and getting valuable playing time!

Most of the youngsters are still a couple of years off making a significant impact, unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

It's more than just tactics that lead to success.  The skill level of the players is also vitally important, and our recruitment in the last couple of years has, to say the least, been spotty.  

But it has to be recognised that high-skill players, or prolific goal scorers, aren't just sitting around waiting for Hearts to come calling.  Other teams are just as interested in those players are we are, and often those teams have more money to offer than Hearts.  Maybe CL's tactics are a reflection of the fact that our players are lacking in certain skill areas.  What's the old saying?  "You cut your clothes to suit your cloth." 

I'm not forgetting that CL is responsible for recruitment, so he is responsible for the results on the field, regardless of what the basic problem is, recruitment or tactics.

How much money do we need to spend to find players who can win with Levein’s tactics regularly?

Be better finding someone who will get the best out the players without an ego getting in the way. Pick the best players in their best positions and game plan to score more than than opposition.

6 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Yeah , I'd agree with that but at what point do you ask - what is going on with the coaching ? What are they being coached to do  - and here I mean in attack. What is the ethos of the coaching staff ? Just shrug their shoulders and say , well we can't do any better because we need better players/ a left back/whatever. This was just pedestrian football and so , so predictable at times .  A left winger who made no effort to go outside his man and who had no support from a full back or midfielder.  No pace , no creativity, no movement off the ball. It's not as if we tried anything new that didn't come off. it was the same old turgid stuff. Against a team with no confidence who lost 6 on the bounce and  had been battered at home by worse teams than Hearts.  The more I've watched this team and the more I look at the upcoming squad changes we're going for the more I think it's gonna be a couple of lean years at least before we see any significant improvement. 

2 hours ago, Gambo said:

Bingo.

Nothing will change.

1 hour ago, Gambo said:

That is a really poor return.

Not worried about what other teams in league have done or what previous Hearts team's have achieved but 4 wins away from home from 16 in this league is a poor poor return for Heart of Midlothian FC.

Dear Gambo

Sun. April 1st 2018 v Dundee (A) 1-1 The stats were Possession 50% apiece / Shots Dundee 20 & Hearts 9 / On Target Dundee 7 & Hearts 6 / Corners Dundee 8 & Hearts 4 / Bookings 4 apiece and Hearts 75th booking of the season and the most bookings in the S.P.L.

Levein's current stats as manager

P 28  W 9  D12   L7   F 30  A 24   Pts 39   Win% 32.14%  - per game   F 1.07   A 0.86   Pts 1.39pts

A good advert for the game. Hearts were fortunate on the hour when Naismith blocked on the line, but that's why he's there. I thought Dundee were the vastly superior team. How they are third bottom is incredible. They have good players.

One poster stated Levein had taken them from a defeat by Dunfermline to their present position. Hearts fans are so used to mediocrity they are happy with mediocre 1.39pts a game

Don't worry, I am not and never have been a stalker. 

Happy Easter   Ian Kelman

2 hours ago, StanLaurel said:

Another woeful, pedestrian performance with players who seem to not care less. We deserve so much better than that in terms of application and skill. 

CL spent the game with his hands in his pockets and offering no instructions from the technical area to the players.  This surely makes it difficult for the players to get up for it with no help from the manager and coaching staff during the game. 

He did spend a bit of time with his 2 coaches looking at sheets/notes/formations/subs/ Sunday papers perhaps.

We seem to be just going through the motions of being a football team  without really trying to play actual football.

9 minutes ago, kila said:

How much money do we need to spend to find players who can win with Levein’s tactics regularly?

Be better finding someone who will get the best out the players without an ego getting in the way. Pick the best players in their best positions and game plan to score more than than opposition.

4 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Yeah , I'd agree with that but at what point do you ask - what is going on with the coaching ? What are they being coached to do  - and here I mean in attack. What is the ethos of the coaching staff ? Just shrug their shoulders and say , well we can't do any better because we need better players/ a left back/whatever. This was just pedestrian football and so , so predictable at times .  A left winger who made no effort to go outside his man and who had no support from a full back or midfielder.  No pace , no creativity, no movement off the ball. It's not as if we tried anything new that didn't come off. it was the same old turgid stuff. Against a team with no confidence who lost 6 on the bounce and  had been battered at home by worse teams than Hearts.  The more I've watched this team and the more I look at the upcoming squad changes we're going for the more I think it's gonna be a couple of lean years at least before we see any significant improvement. 

There are two realities we have to accept. 

One, the amount we will spend on the playing budget is a percentage of turnover, so there will always be a limit on who we can go after.  And, two, CL will be running the football department for the foreseeable future.  We need to set our expectations accordingly.

Cruyff Turn

Plenty heids in the sand here.

Look at the players we had on the pitch today, hundreds of caps between them, Championship and Premier League experience and they couldn't beat, or even control the game against Dundee, who have lost their previous home games 0-4 to hammer throwers St Johnstone and 1-4 to the worst team in the league Ross County

"But wiv no goat the players."

"Wiv always been shite away"

Yadda yadda, excuses, excuses

Killie must have a team of world beaters. Surely it can't be the manager that has them winning games consistently, surely no? 

Walter Kidd

Sideways, sideways, sideways. We are so predictable it's embarrassing.  He has had a full season now and he has to come up with a plan to make us more attractive. One dimensional. Fast losing patience Craig. Time to shape up.

1 minute ago, Maple Leaf said:

There are two realities we have to accept. 

One, the amount we will spend on the playing budget is a percentage of turnover, so there will always be a limit on who we can go after.  And, two, CL will be running the football department for the foreseeable future.  We need to set our expectations accordingly.

Not disagreeing with that. But what are the coaches doing ? Allegedly CL isn't full time in that he only spends some of his time with the first team (I don't have a problem with that).  I'm fully accepting that we have signed dross because that is all we can afford (unless we get lucky with loan signings) but Jesus , does the club expect the fans to put up with this crap for another two years/whatever ? 

rick witter
4 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Look at the players we had on the pitch today, hundreds of caps between them, Championship and Premier League experience and they couldn't beat, or even control the game against Dundee, who have lost their previous home games 0-4 to hammer throwers St Johnstone and 1-4 to the worst team in the league Ross County

Killie must have a team of world beaters. Surely it can't be the manager that has them winning games consistently, surely no? 

That’s the difference Killies players are buying in to what Clark’s wants them to do and that along with working hard and a quick tempo can work wonders. 

Player for player most would say we have a better first team but the players do not want to do or are finding it very difficult to do what Levein is telling g them. Couple that with slowing the tempo down at every opportunity and you get Hearts. 

9 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Couldn't agree more with you. I have always backed Levein, but we should be doing a lot better with what we have, no doubt about it.

1 hour ago, Gambo said:

That is a really poor return.

Not worried about what other teams in league have done or what previous Hearts team's have achieved but 4 wins away from home from 16 in this league is a poor poor return for Heart of Midlothian FC.

After today, is that not just eight away wins in forty?  

Lucille's Thirsty
2 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

1986, 1988, 1992, 1996  1998, 2005, 2006, 2012, ...off the top of my head. If you prefer to watch walking football though....

Aye. But this guy was going on as if we’re always doing it year in year out.

2 hours ago, davie1980 said:

I don't think people are pleased we secured top 6 because they; 1) think that is a good outcome, 2) think it is where we should be or 3) started the season thinking, a dream season would be a 6th place finish and a scottish cup quarter final

I think people are pleased we secured it when it looked like it was possible we might actually fall out of the top 6. It was not unimaginable we could have found ourselves in the bottom 6 there and we have managed to avoid that.

I don't think you will find too many people genuinely pleased, I suspect relieved is more appropriate.

I think other people are also taking into account the circumstances of what we have been through this year and the shambolic start we had and the squad we began the year with and think "you know what, all things considered, this isn't a total disaster, given what happened since that 4th place target was set.

Not a good season but there are some reasons for optimism that maybe we are on the right track and we will improve"

But yeah, lets just sack another manager and start another massive rebuild with an untested manager, give him 4 months until we have a poor run of results and demand his head too

We are having yet another massive rebuild with this manager!!!!

Lucille's Thirsty
2 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Our crowds now are some of the highest in my lifetime and to just accept we should be content just to challenge for Europe because that is normal for us, very depressing if you ask me!

If we somehow manage to compete for trophies season in and out, I don’t think they’re would be anyone complaining. We don’t have a god given right to do so and we never have. Apart from an occasional cup win we haven’t done anything of the sort.

5 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Not disagreeing with that. But what are the coaches doing ? Allegedly CL isn't full time in that he only spends some of his time with the first team (I don't have a problem with that).  I'm fully accepting that we have signed dross because that is all we can afford (unless we get lucky with loan signings) but Jesus , does the club expect the fans to put up with this crap for another two years/whatever ? 

I know that it's bad to watch, and thousands of fans are as frustrated as you.  But if the problem is with CL and his coaches, we'd better get used to it, or hope that he has a revelation of some kind, or hope that we can get lucky and find a goal scorer.  CL is not going anywhere.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio
14 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

3 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

Couldn't agree more with you. I have always backed Levein, but we should be doing a lot better with what we have, no doubt about it.

At least this place isn't totally overrun by cheerleaders. 

Big Slim Stylee
1 hour ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Haha, yeah you're not wrong there fella - but personally speaking I've way more positive things in my life that make up for it (ie running a good wee race at Strathclyde park this am), & I'm just more bored with it now if I'm honest. Hearts are utter pony  (those animals again!) to watch - a good cure for insomnia.

The beer is now helping aid post race recovery.?

I thought we were ok today, tbh. Not setting the heather on fire. Happy Easter, man. 

9 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I know that it's bad to watch, and thousands of fans are as frustrated as you.  But if the problem is with CL and his coaches, we'd better get used to it, or hope that he has a revelation of some kind, or hope that we can get lucky and find a goal scorer.  CL is not going anywhere.

Gonna stop the finger wagging ? I never said he was going anywhere and I never said I want him to. We don't just need a goal scorer - we need a coaching set up that gets the best out of the limited ability players we can afford to sign. Not that I think we can afford anything decent on the goal scoring front in any case. 

6 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

We have an instinctive goal scorer. Dundee played well as they have done a lot this season but got little back. We could of been 3 and def should of been 2 up before they scored. Heads seem to go down when we concede. However the goalscorer is not the issue. Id say its the balance which prevents us being able to attack from a good platform. Hughes and Amanwkaa Left Side. Godinho and Cowie Right side is as about as balanced as wr can be with the players available and thats not a good place to be. Were not fit enough , not balanced enough and were not creative enough. Demi and Djoum are two big losses that leave us badly unbalanced going forward. The 1st XI is one that can compete but theres factors why it hasn’t. Injuries have made it worse. 

5 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Gonna stop the finger wagging ? I never said he was going anywhere and I never said I want him to. We don't just need a goal scorer - we need a coaching set up that gets the best out of the limited ability players we can afford to sign. Not that I think we can afford anything decent on the goal scoring front in any case. 

Didn't mean to finger wag.  Peace.

1 hour ago, Highways and Byways said:

We should have had a penalty and Laff missed a great chance just before they scored.

Our first half performance was anything but dire.

Admittedly second half was poor all round. 

First half was dire, first 2mins aside.

MacDonald Jardine
2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

How many LBs should we sign?

First we got Smith-Browne and he was sent back injured as was Mitchell.  Brandon played there and he's out injured.  Smith has played there too and he called off today.

I did not see the game today as I was hiding behind the sofa but I accept we were poor.  That said, I would have settled for a draw before the game bearing in mind 1986 and I don't think Neil McCann would be too dissatisfied with a point either.  Hopefully the Sheep will kill off any lingering hopes M'Well have of a top 6 finish.

WTF does 1986 have to do with anything?

2 minutes ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

WTF does 1986 have to do with anything?

The ramblings of a very puzzling poster.

Just now, Gambo said:

First half was dire, first 2mins aside.

Deary me.

Such an accusation could be aimed at any club in the country if you were as willing to dismiss their goal(s) as easily as you are here.

I thought we were very decent at times first half and rather than dismiss the first 2 minutes (why on earth would I?!) I thought we scored an utterly fantastic goal.

Each to their own though.

oh ah grantona
2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

How many LBs should we sign?

First we got Smith-Browne and he was sent back injured as was Mitchell.  Brandon played there and he's out injured.  Smith has played there too and he called off today.

I did not see the game today as I was hiding behind the sofa but I accept we were poor.  That said, I would have settled for a draw before the game bearing in mind 1986 and I don't think Neil McCann would be too dissatisfied with a point either.  Hopefully the Sheep will kill off any lingering hopes M'Well have of a top 6 finish.

Bearing in mind 1986 are you ****ing kidding me????

32 ****ing years ago had a bearing on our result today?? 

Well maybe yeah as the same shite bag who bottled helping the team out that day now leads the club on the pitch 

16 minutes ago, sadj said:

We have an instinctive goal scorer. Dundee played well as they have done a lot this season but got little back. We could of been 3 and def should of been 2 up before they scored. Heads seem to go down when we concede. However the goalscorer is not the issue. Id say its the balance which prevents us being able to attack from a good platform. Hughes and Amanwkaa Left Side. Godinho and Cowie Right side is as about as balanced as wr can be with the players available and thats not a good place to be. Were not fit enough , not balanced enough and were not creative enough. Demi and Djoum are two big losses that leave us badly unbalanced going forward. The 1st XI is one that can compete but theres factors why it hasn’t. Injuries have made it worse. 

Why do you think Dundee played as well as they have all season? Because we let them, as we do on an all too regular basis away from home.

We are absolutely appalling, and the mindset is all wrong. Excluding some of the youngsters, we are in big trouble if we don’t improve on about 7 of those starters today. The midfield is almost non-existent. Great for Callachan to get another goal today, but Dundee bypassed the midfield so easily, and we never really created anything after the goal. Apart from Adao, at a push, that midfield badly needs revamped. Amankwaa hasn’t shown anything, Cowie hides in about 80% of matches, and while he does try (which shouldn’t be a qualifier), Callachan will never be good enough at this level.

Jamie Borthwick summed up today by saying we were playing walking football, and even Willie Miller sussed out that Levein was playing for a point by the start of the second half. Even that was a reach by the way our midfield and defence kept backing off and inviting them to shoot. Aaron Hughes is never a left back. Joey Deacon could have skinned him all day, let alone Rory Deacon.

Things need to change all over the pitch, and especially in the dugout.

52 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

This guy gets it. 

joondalupjambo

For those who were at the game you should have watched it on the telly, looked an ok game, end to end and some decent football from both sides.   Watched it with a Dundee fan and he thought that was the best they had played in months.  We were bang average of course, as expected.  We let Dundee come at us which was poor but we did not cave unlike last September.

colinmaroon
4 hours ago, LeylandJambo said:

The players are playing how he wants them to play.  His tactics away from home are for want of a better word prehistoric. 

They did not play defensively - in fact, they were too open at times.

I'll say it again, it was the players not the system and, if that's through maroon tinted specs, I prefer them to the shyte tinted ones you're wearing.

oh ah grantona
51 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Is our Budget any less than Motherwell or killie?? 

Motherwell sell Moult And replace with Main our club and scouting system have underachieved for years still the heads of departments still have a jobs 

colinmaroon
4 hours ago, All Out Attack said:

Give us a break for once please. How much longer are you going to continue backing this awful manager.  

The size of the travelling Hearts support today tells you everything you need to know about Levein's management ability and where our football side is.

All year the same problems. Enough is enough, Levein should be nowhere near our football club. 

I don't know why I bothered opening your post, same old same old, stereotyped nagging.

The players today, with a few exceptions were careless and lacking the basics, and I'm talking about the men you'd hope would have performed but, hey, you keep banging your hibby tomtom!.

TV had nothing to do with the size of the travelling support, eh?

9 minutes ago, The Merse said:

Why do you think Dundee played as well as they have all season? Because we let them, as we do on an all too regular basis away from home.

I know why Dundee were allowed to play well (not aswell as they have all season - they have played well in most games this season) we defend too deep. Thats nothing to do with what I said. I said Dundee played well today. The rest was about us.

4 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

They did not play defensively - in fact, they were too open at times.

I'll say it again, it was the players not the system and, if that's through maroon tinted specs, I prefer them to the shyte tinted ones you're wearing.

No people want to say defensive though. With an unbalanced team , we played some good football just not consistently and we sat too deep or we were too far up and got caught. Rangers did that too us at Ibrox first half too over the top and turn us.

William H. Bonney
22 minutes ago, oh ah grantona said:

Bearing in mind 1986 are you ****ing kidding me????

32 ****ing years ago had a bearing on our result today?? 

Well maybe yeah as the same shite bag who bottled helping the team out that day now leads the club on the pitch 

Really? 

colinmaroon
4 hours ago, merseyjambo said:

No but when Naismith and Lafferty are 20-30 yards apart and no one coming through from middle of park what do you honestly expect either of them to do???

Thats twice I’ve seen us play Dundee and twice Deacon has looked decent. Our biggest attacking midfield threat is on the bench due to a manager who obviously has an agenda with him and a winger we’ve signed who is scared to take on a man. 

Didn’t sit back??? Did we look like scoring. Did their keeper make point saving stops. No. We contained the game in the middle of the park and prodded the ball around into the last third. We didn’t go for it at all

Naismith dropped deep when Henderson came on because he was doing absolutely nothing up front for 70 minutes.

Sure he tracked back as did Lafferty when needs must but, to say he was playing deep for most of the game is blatantly rubbish.

Another pair of shyte tinted glasses!

You think Deacon is decent?  If we signed him and he ran past players as he can with little end product, you'd be slagging Levein for signing him.  The guy's a headless chicken most of the time.

Skinny coming back from injury and to say he is our biggest attacking threat, when he has played about three great games and a goo few more indifferent ones.  Shows how poor Naismith has been, eh?

Give Skinny a run in the team and it won't be long before you're slagging Levein for "persisting" with him.

It wasn't a case of prodding the ball about in the middle of the park, Naismith  and Cowie showed a poor touch, poor passing and too easily brushed aside.  As for Lafferty's miss before their goal!!!  We didn't look like scoring because the many crosses that went into the box were poor quality and I'm finding it hard to remember exactly how many times our play broke down on the edge of THEIR box, a fair number.

Didn't sit back - why the question marks?  Are you saying we did sit back?  If so, you were in some alternative universe.

Captain Canada

I've just read Levein's post-match comments and he seems to think we tried to win the game. I saw no real evidence of that in the second half. 

We'll do very well to win another game this season. 

Lucille's Thirsty
2 hours ago, amadjambo said:

Not sure why so many are unhappy. That was a point more than I expected us to get, and we have gone away from home and had a shot on target. Superb stuff. And to top it off it was an exciting game. Edge of the seat stuff watching Dundee dominate us in their attempt to get a winner.

I don’t know why I do it too myself but when Callachan scored that early I was expecting/hoping we would go on to win. 

:lol:

1 minute ago, Lucille's Thirsty said:

I don’t know why I do it too myself but when Callachan scored that early I was expecting/hoping we would go on to win. 

:lol:

Our midfield is so bad it was dominated by Dundee. Without Djoum we are such a poor side.

Lucille's Thirsty
1 minute ago, amadjambo said:

Our midfield is so bad it was dominated by Dundee. With Djoum we are still a poor side.

Fixed that for you mate.

5 minutes ago, Lucille's Thirsty said:

Fixed that for you mate.

Fair enough. But he is a shining light in midfield. Someone with a bit of class and creativity. Nobody else in the squad comes close.

Sir Vladimir of Romanov
5 hours ago, peter_hmfc said:

When they start resorting to pre-pubescent insults that's when their arguement has fallen apart.

Can you make excuses and apologies for this as well? Perhaps the wind caught him?

https://youtu.be/DqsMTj1KXo4

I think you will find you started the childish shit. And why would I care about a video from when he didn't play for us? The fact you fired onto Google to find this (still nothing from him playing for us tho) tells us all we need to know. 

Archived