Offers already made to 3 players ( merged )

maroonsgotop

Walter Bishop
4 hours ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

I agree but,

2 draws v Aberdeen

1 draw/ 1 defeat v rangers.

Hibs, 0-0, 0-1, 0-2 and cup 1-0 

The margins are small but they do need addressed.

Nothing that adding width, balance and depth to the team won't fix . All issues we realised were mis managed under cathro and were not going to be fixed in January.

Craig knows this.

I don't expect any massive improvement from now until the season end, for the sinple reason that the above won't and can't be solved. Yet, some people seem surprised that from game to game we don't suddenly improve and play better. Baffling.

I hope our signings address our key weakness's, the first 3 will help keep interest for season ticket sales.

Interesting..... 

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Spencer

• JamboAl

• Absolute Scenes

Walter Bishop
3 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

I suspect deals have been done. Just keeping quiet to protect players and current Clubs. Would be a difficult situation at Hibs from now to end of season if it was public knowledge that McGeouch had signed for us. Similarly at Hull with McGregor. 

Never going to happen in a million years, but imagine if we signed McGeough. 

:sweeet::scenes:

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Walter Bishop said:

Interesting..... 

Or not.... I didn't mean to sound in the know, just saying the first signings will likely have an impact on early st uptake. 

Apologies.

Francis Albert
19 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Play much senior football Francis? ?

No but I have seen many players recover full fitness after being out for some time in a lot less than 7 months.

If Daly and the rest of the coaching team knew that players were unfit or likely to be unfit because of lack of proper pre-season training then the priority should have been fitness training if necessary by returning to the Robbie triple training sessions. It beggars belief that it is thought  still to be an issue 7 months on and even more so that some think it acceptable.

Francis Albert
16 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

No one is trying to defend anything.  CL has made a claim!  I am not saying he is wrong or right.  Your obsession with CL is beyond belief.  He appointed a H/Coach and either backs him or sacks.  He did the former until the latter became inevitable.

More to the point

WHAT IS YOUR VIEW ON THE 3 OFFERS? 

What three offers?

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

I think he'd like to do that but what with injuries and his claim about our lack of fitness, that is not easy.

He says we will be fitter next season and of course new/better faces should appear so all in all we look forward to a better upcoming season

He’s had more than a pre seasons worth of training time in charge, so that fitness excuse is not relevant.

Im still behind Levein and think he deserves another year but he surely recognised that the team needs to be more adventurous and have a go away from home.

davemclaren
4 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

No but I have seen many players recover full fitness after being out for some time in a lot less than 7 months.

If Daly and the rest of the coaching team knew that players were unfit or likely to be unfit because of lack of proper pre-season training then the priority should have been fitness training if necessary by returning to the Robbie triple training sessions. It beggars belief that it is thought  still to be an issue 7 months on and even more so that some think it acceptable.

I thnk they tried. I imagine it’s difficult during the season to do such intense training as players need to rest and recover, mentally and physically,  between matches. Coaches over the years have always valued players getting a ‘full pre-season’. 

23 minutes ago, Jenks said:

You are some case Spencer. Do you ever have anything positive to say?

Yes of course he does. Just it's hibs that he praises

BobbyJenkins
12 minutes ago, stevie1874 said:

He’s had more than a pre seasons worth of training time in charge, so that fitness excuse is not relevant.

Im still behind Levein and think he deserves another year but he surely recognised that the team needs to be more adventurous and have a go away from home.

It absolutely is relevant. How do you get them fitter during the season with games every other day? This having a go away from home is great, when he has the players and team he wants in order to play that way...which he clearly doesnt yet.

27 minutes ago, Jenks said:

You are some case Spencer. Do you ever have anything positive to say?

I do - honest! 

Just need to hope next year is significantly better 

davemclaren
8 minutes ago, Spencer said:

I do - honest! 

Something we can all hope for. 

9 minutes ago, BobbyJenkins said:

It absolutely is relevant. How do you get them fitter during the season with games every other day? This having a go away from home is great, when he has the players and team he wants in order to play that way...which he clearly doesnt yet.

They are professional football players who mostly play 1 sometimes 2 games a week. It’s not as though they did no pre season training. Theirs been plenty time for most of the squad to top up fitness levels during season. The only people who would need a lot more training is players who have been injured and missed pre season. 

All Out Attack

As Levein was DOF during the last pre-season, should he not be sacked for allowing such a shambolic situation to develop in the first place.

This is assuming there was actually fitness issues and this wasn't being used an excuse for failing results. This is quite a common tactic by new manager trying to get themselves breathing space. 

davemclaren
3 minutes ago, All Out Attack said:

As Levein was DOF during the last pre-season, should he not be sacked for allowing such a shambolic situation to develop in the first place.

This is assuming there was actually fitness issues and this wasn't being used an excuse for failing results. This is quite a common tactic by new manager trying to get themselves breathing space. 

Strangely enough, either way it’s Levein’s fault. ?

3 minutes ago, All Out Attack said:

Why stop there. We should just get rid of Budge too. After all she was owner when this happened.

Shambolic... excuse... tactic... zzzzzzz

7 minutes ago, All Out Attack said:

But what has that to do with the three offers we're supposed to have made to players FOR NEXT SEASON.

Edited by JamboAl

8 minutes ago, All Out Attack said:

At what point odes the DoF undermine the head coach?

Daly apparently mentioned the lack of a pre-season during his interim period.

He was a coach then, did he mention it to Levein?

As DoF what exactly is/was Levein's role?

Without knowing the answers to these questions, your point re sacking is irrelevant.

Absolute Scenes
10 minutes ago, stevie1874 said:

They are professional football players who mostly play 1 sometimes 2 games a week. It’s not as though they did no pre season training. Theirs been plenty time for most of the squad to top up fitness levels during season. The only people who would need a lot more training is players who have been injured and missed pre season. 

The previous post was fair though - in a week, you need a couple of days rest after a game (at the most) and there would be 2-3 sessions a week, with rest days in between. You cant drill them into the ground.

training will really only help maintain levels of fitness through the season.

Pre season is where you build up fitness levels and training thereafter would maintain it, so a lot of fitness is reliant on a solid pre season.

Bridge of Djoum
1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

OK. So Craig CLAIMS fitness levels are an issue 7 months after Cathro left?

And our Director of Football just watched on as the players didn't get a proper pre-season when the main (only?) excuse for retaining him was to allow Cathro a full pre-season?

And since Cathro left we have had a number of two week breaks for "International weekends" (in which  a lot of our players are not involved)  and a three week winter break, in aggregate the equivalent of a full pre-season.

The lengths people will go to defend the indefensible!

Jeez, this guy...

4 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

The previous post was fair though - in a week, you need a couple of days rest after a game (at the most) and there would be 2-3 sessions a week, with rest days in between. You cant drill them into the ground.

Pre season is where you build up fitness levels and training thereafter would maintain it, so a lot of fitness is reliant on a solid pre season.

You don’t need to drill them into the ground to raise fitness levels. If what you are saying is true then any player that picks up an injury  even for a couple of weeks will not be truly fully fit until his next pre-season.

Harry Kane’s got no chance of making the Workd cup.

Bridge of Djoum
52 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

What three offers?

It's LITERALLY THE ****** THREAD TITLE!!

5 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Exactly, look up periodisation in training for any endurance sport and you will see the benefit/need for a solid base of fitness before you can move forward. It will be difficult to do the work needed to during a season due to the intensity of playing/training. You can't escape from a poor endurance base of fitness if it isn't properly established and as someone who has a done a fair bit of endurance sport, I can vouch for it as when I didn' do it properly, I suffered from illness and injuries. 

Hope therefore that we get a core of players signed up early that we can get the team's fitness peaking at the right times and add in players as they become available.

Shovelly Joe

David Templeton returning was the one I had heard.  From a Hamilton Accies season ticket holder.  Would be delighted if true as he has been a stand out for them.  Direct and end product.  Struggles with their 3G pitch and noticeably his best performances have been away from home.  

2 minutes ago, Shovelly Joe said:

David Templeton returning was the one I had heard.  From a Hamilton Accies season ticket holder.  Would be delighted if true as he has been a stand out for them.  Direct and end product.  Struggles with their 3G pitch and noticeably his best performances have been away from home.  

Good to hear it! Be glad to see him back if we're not keeping Milinkovic. Kinda feel we need more direct players though.

Hamiltons pitch is a disgrace. It impacts on performance and what players can play where. Irritating non-sporting advantage which has no place in a top flight league.

6 minutes ago, OTT said:

Good to hear it! Be glad to see him back if we're not keeping Milinkovic. Kinda feel we need more direct players though.

Hamiltons pitch is a disgrace. It impacts on performance and what players can play where. Irritating non-sporting advantage which has no place in a top flight league.

Wish you hadn't mentioned that.

FA will be on shortly with the pros and cons of artificial pitches.

Notice that Crawford has made it clear he too is leaving although I'm not suggesting he is one of the three.

Edited by JamboAl

3 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Wish you hadn't mentioned that.

FA will be on shortly with the pros and cons of artificial pitches.

Notice that Crawford has made it clear he too is leaving although I'm not suggesting he is one of the three.

Crawford is a decent player though. We could do worse imo 

Just now, Spencer said:

Is he though? Surely Hamilton Accies would be further up the league if that was the case?

2 minutes ago, Bez said:

Is he though? Surely Hamilton Accies would be further up the league if that was the case?

Ok. So shall we therefore dismiss anyone in Scotland with any club other than 5 above us? 

I suspect you are trying to be a smart arse. He has also been injured for a good chunk of this season 

Just now, Spencer said:

Ok. So shall we therefore dismiss anyone in Scotland with any club other than 5 above us? 

I suspect you are trying to be a smart arse. He has also been injured for a good chunk of this season 

Crikey Spencer, keep your beret on old chap!

I was merely using the sort of black and white logic that you apply to HMFC.

BobbyJenkins
4 minutes ago, Bez said:

Crikey Spencer, keep your beret on old chap!

I was merely using the sort of black and white logic that you apply to HMFC.

:laugh:

Francis Albert
42 minutes ago, New York Fleapit said:

It's LITERALLY THE ****** THREAD TITLE!!

It wasn't me who introduced to the thread the excuse of a failed pre-season for our performances this season.

Ten pages of the thread titled "Offers Already Made to 3 Players" haven't really added much to the 6 words of the title.

14 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Maybe so.  I'm just saying I don't know if he's one of the three.  We might have made an offer to someone better than him in his position.  I hope so.

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Boris said:

At what point odes the DoF undermine the head coach?

Daly apparently mentioned the lack of a pre-season during his interim period.

He was a coach then, did he mention it to Levein?

As DoF what exactly is/was Levein's role?

Without knowing the answers to these questions, your point re sacking is irrelevant.

The DoF should never undermine the Head Coach.

But as I understand it the Head Coach reports to the DoF who is responsible for all football matters at the club.

I would expect in that role the DoF to have a weekly meeting with the Head Coach and during the apparently absolutely critical pre-season (when fitness levels for the whole season are apparently irrevocably determined)  the meeting would include a review of progress at which Cathro would have pulled up on his lap top whatever metrics he and the coaching staff are using to measure players'  progress. With a Head Coach with no previous overall responsibility for pre-season training I would expect the great mentor Levein to be have an invaluable input to the process, an input which the Head Coach would welcome.

Edited by Francis Albert

16 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

The DoF should never undermine the Head Coach.

But as I understand it the Head Coach reports to the DoF who is responsible for all football matters at the club.

I would expect in that role the DoF to have a weekly meeting with the Head Coach and during the apparently absolutely critical pre-season (when fitness levels for the whole season are apparently irrevocably determined)  the meeting would include a review of progress at which Cathro would have pulled up on his lap top whatever metrics he and the coaching staff are using to measure players'  progress. With a Head Coach with no previous overall responsibility for pre-season training I would expect the great mentor Levein to be have an invaluable input to the process, an input which the Head Coach would welcome.

So Cathro was reassuring Levein that the stats proved the players were fit enough?

Who else is bored of hearing about how CL is at fault for every transfer window since relegation, Cathro and now Cathros pre season, picking robbies teams but only when we weren't playing well and dozens of other subjects. 

I remember when we just moaned about the last result, now the last result means we drag up every last thing that has gone wrong in the last 3/4 years. I'm sure no other support has people who repeatedly beat there own club with things that happened years ago.

2 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Who else is bored of hearing about how CL is at fault for every transfer window since relegation, Cathro and now Cathros pre season, picking robbies teams but only when we weren't playing well and dozens of other subjects. 

I remember when we just moaned about the last result, now the last result means we drag up every last thing that has gone wrong in the last 3/4 years. I'm sure no other support has people who repeatedly beat there own club with things that happened years ago.

Me. Apparently though it’s because he is getting paid for doing his job... the nerve of the guy.

:cornette:

davemclaren
1 hour ago, Spencer said:

I agree, as much as I detest him in a Hamilton shirt I think he could do a job in our team. 

i wish jj was my dad
2 hours ago, Spencer said:

I do - honest! 

What would you do with yourself if we had a good season? ?

5 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

What would you do with yourself if we had a good season? ?

I would be very happy bud 

stranraer-jambo
3 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I think he'd like to do that but what with injuries and his claim about our lack of fitness, that is not easy.

He says we will be fitter next season and of course new/better faces should appear so all in all we look forward to a better upcoming season

John Daly made reference to the lack of fitness at the start of the season. It was obviously well known within club circles.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/40988031&ved=2ahUKEwjvteS0maHaAhVFNMAKHZy5DRUQFjAIegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw22q2Xy_-fa0V3OgfbsIeM3&ampcf=1

I don't think it is coincidental that RN had triple sessions overseen by John Hill and that player fitness deteriorated after the pair went to M K Dons. It may also explain our increase in niggly injuries this season as players were not fully prepared for the rigours of competitive matches

4 minutes ago, stranraer-jambo said:

John Daly made reference to the lack of fitness at the start of the season. It was obviously well known within club circles.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/40988031&ved=2ahUKEwjvteS0maHaAhVFNMAKHZy5DRUQFjAIegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw22q2Xy_-fa0V3OgfbsIeM3&ampcf=1

I don't think it is coincidental that RN had triple sessions overseen by John Hill and that player fitness deteriorated after the pair went to M K Dons. It may also explain our increase in niggly injuries this season as players were not fully prepared for the rigours of competitive matches

Players certainly appeared fitter under RN than they have since as a collective 

Francis Albert
56 minutes ago, Boris said:

So Cathro was reassuring Levein that the stats proved the players were fit enough?

I have no idea what was going on.

I would  hope and expect that the DoF did.

31 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I have no idea what was going on.

I would  hope and expect that the DoF did.

But you don't know so you take a negative line.

Francis Albert
15 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

But you don't know so you take a negative line.

No. I speculate and puzzle over the reasons for the fact that 7 months after Cathro left there may still be problem with fitness levels in the squad. The negative isn't my line ... it is the possibility that one of our problems is a hangover from pre-season training, as raised by CL, and an issue you brought to the thread.

Edited by Francis Albert

1 hour ago, jambopilms said:

Hearts fans are famous for it. As well as being famous for being obsessed with giving Craig Levein grief. Seriously , if there was a blocked toilet in the new stand it would be blamed on a Levein shite.

4 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

No. I speculate and puzzle over the reasons for the fact that 7 months after Cathro left there may still be problem with fitness levels in the squad. The negative isn't my line ... it is the possibility that one of our problems is a hangover from pre-season training, as raised by CL, and an issue you brought to the thread.

Which was?

Absolute Scenes
3 hours ago, stevie1874 said:

You don’t need to drill them into the ground to raise fitness levels. If what you are saying is true then any player that picks up an injury  even for a couple of weeks will not be truly fully fit until his next pre-season.

Harry Kane’s got no chance of making the Workd cup.

But again, if you have been out and then get back into a regime, then you are going to become fit to an extent, as any exercise is better than none....and then maintain that level of fitness as it will be imbedded in the muscle memory

Francis Albert
6 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Which was?

Part of the  reason for our failure to play attacking football away from home is to do with CL's views about our fitness levels. which will you say be better next season.

Edited by Francis Albert

4 hours ago, Walter Bishop said:

Never going to happen in a million years, but imagine if we signed McGeough. 

:sweeet::scenes:

Ok, so Stoke are in a relegation battle and they don’t want the fact that Charlie Adam is going to Hearts in the public domain .