Another Mass Shooting in America

milky_26

Death toll at El Paso rises to 22, making it the 7th deadliest US mass-shooting, after Lubys and before San Ysidro.

The University of Texas attack is close to dropping out of the top 10... it's been there since 1966.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• peter_hmfc

• Sharpie

• Jambo-Jimbo

• The Internet

William H. Bonney
6 minutes ago, peter_hmfc said:

Death toll at El Paso rises to 22, making it the 7th deadliest US mass-shooting, after Lubys and before San Ysidro.

The University of Texas attack is close to dropping out of the top 10... it's been there since 1966.

We need a Casey kasem style rundown. 

7 hours ago, peter_hmfc said:

Trump blaming the usual suspects: social media, mental health, video games.

:rofl:

Hes not the only one.

Although those that also blame that hold him to account.

doctor jambo

the amendment to the constitution gives a lot of lee way if they are clever about it.

"the right to bear arms"

fine, but there is no stipulation as to "what" constitutes arms, and no mention of ammo.

In the UK the amount of ammo you can hold is restricted- so perhaps that could be looked at-  you can have 100 pistols but you are only allowed 1 bullet in your possession.

You have the right to have arms, but not assault weapons.

At present the US populace have decided that the price of their second amendment ( mass shootings) is worth it.

Until that changes nothing will happen.

2 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

the amendment to the constitution gives a lot of lee way if they are clever about it.

"the right to bear arms"

It really doesn't, but five dishonest, agenda-driven jurists, who pretend they care about the "plain meaning", "originalist" interpretation of the "text of law", pretended it did. That is why they literally ignored the entire first half of the second amendment when flat out ignoring the law as it's written in D.C. v. Heller.

It is not an exaggeration that it is one of the most disgraceful and tragic legal decisions in American history, right up there alongside Dred Scott v Sandford.

Unknown user
22 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

"the right to bear arms"

fine, but there is no stipulation as to "what" constitutes arms, and no mention of ammo.

In the UK the amount of ammo you can hold is restricted- so perhaps that could be looked at-  you can have 100 pistols but you are only allowed 1 bullet in your possession.

You have the right to have arms, but not assault weapons.

At present the US populace have decided that the price of their second amendment ( mass shootings) is worth it.

Until that changes nothing will happen.

right-to-bear-arms.jpg

Someone posted an article stating that Trump will "crack down" on violent video games. I couldn't even bring myself to read it.

Pure fantasy, 0% supported by research, statistics, anything, and his supporters and the gun nuts will lap it up like usual, because that's what they always do.

Literal reality versus fantasy, and that's the state of American politics in one headline.

2 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Someone posted an article stating that Trump will "crack down" on violent video games. I couldn't even bring myself to read it.

Pure fantasy, 0% supported by research, statistics, anything, and his supporters and the gun nuts will lap it up like usual, because that's what they always do.

Literal reality versus fantasy, and that's the state of American politics in one headline.

If only it were possible to compare incidents of gun deaths with other countries that also have access to violent video games ....

16 minutes ago, RobboM said:

If only it were possible to compare incidents of gun deaths with other countries that also have access to violent video games ....

The United States is the only country in the world that exists, unless we're bombing something.

58 minutes ago, Sawdust Caesar said:

I see Tucker Carlson is claiming that the white supremacy problem is a hoax. He really is repulsive.ep

I watch him mainly for the comedy entertainment, but last night he was just a horrible man, he makes outlandish statements, blames everyone but Trump, and call everyone a liar, I often wonder what people like he and Hannity will do if Trump does not get reelected.

Hannity was shown on one of the other channels wanting armed sentries everywhere, every floor of every school, in stores anywhere the public will be. He suggested retired cops, and military men for the jobs. Not less weapons more.

The only thing I can think worse than a lone gunman is a room filled with people while a gunfight between good guys and a bad guy is taking place. The sounds would be terrifying, it would be like bumping into a wasp nest and surrounded by attackers.Not only do guns not fire by themselves, but the discharged bullet really other when aimed has any idea who it is supposd to kill, and doesn't know to stop and not strike someone else.

10 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

I watch him mainly for the comedy entertainment, but last night he was just a horrible man, he makes outlandish statements, blames everyone but Trump, and call everyone a liar, I often wonder what people like he and Hannity will do if Trump does not get reelected.

They just completely change tack. In this case, everything the president ever does is a joke, a disgrace, an embarrassment.

maroonlegions

The arms dealers , gun manufacturers and gun shop outlets must be shiting it.. oh wait a moment.. are they feck, money talks.    

The press were banned in Dayton. Couldn't get anywhere near Trump. But he had a camera crew to get the footage for this.

This is African dictator ****ery.

Jambo-Jimbo
On 08/08/2019 at 09:00, Justin Z said:

The press were banned in Dayton. Couldn't get anywhere near Trump. But he had a camera crew to get the footage for this.

This is African dictator ****ery.

More like he's gotten some tips off his pals Kim & Vladimir of how 'Dear Leader' should be shown in the media.

The Internet
2 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

We'll be due another mass shooting today i reckon. It's been a while.

There hasn't been a shooting with 4 or more injured since Wednesday 

:wow:

Maybe the video game stuff is working. 

6 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

There hasn't been a shooting with 4 or more injured since Wednesday 

:wow:

Maybe the video game stuff is working. 

There was one yesterday.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Man-Armed-Rifle-Shoots-Cop-Police-New-Jersey-NJ-Reports-527948751.html?fbclid=IwAR3tUCZXOPXuMswLIrPKibehl3yhDrLOlHyFsONYP56KDOm5UIqpHbEzHuY

The US averages a mass-murder with guns (4+ killed not including the perp) every 13 days. It has been 5 days since the last one (Dayton, Ohio).

They average approximately 1.15 mass-shootings a day (4+ shot and killed/injured not including the perp).

Two public mass-murders have happened on a Friday this year, Aurora factory which left 5 dead, and Virginia Beach which left 12 dead.

If there IS to be a copycat attack it likely won't happen for some time. It took a while for Poway after Christchurch, and a while longer for El Paso.

Edited by peter_hmfc

Tucker Carlson went on an unscheduled leave last night for five days. It is opined it was because of his hysterical racism is a hoax comments.

Trump taps his hip three times to advise his wife to get over here, he did not at least get her to sit and beg for a cookie, viral videos available I just don't know how to put them on. There was a short period when I thought she was not a total supporter of her husband, but now their loving handholding either defies that thought, or has one think she does do what she is told.

Apparently the mother of the El Paso shooter phoned the local police expressing concerns about the gun her twenty one year old son had obtained legally. No mention of threats or misdeeds, but just the possible capability I suppose concerned her. The police done nothing. I would have thought after thepolice screw ups in Parkland situation not following up on information and complaints about the soon to be shooter there, departments would have strict policies about immediate attendance to interview callers about such situations. The polis are giving me a hard time defending them today.

u

3 hours ago, bobsharp said:

The polis are giving me a hard time defending them today.

They have a bad habit of doing that in the States, Bob, as you know. I wouldn't sweat it too much. :smile:

12 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

We'll be due another mass shooting today i reckon. It's been a while.

Not sure what the mass shooting criteria is, but two folk shot dead in 6pm rush hour traffic with an AR-15 on one of Houston’s busiest commuter freeways last night. 

7 hours ago, bobsharp said:

Trump taps his hip three times to advise his wife to get over here, he did not at least get her to sit and beg for a cookie, viral videos available I just don't know how to put them on. There was a short period when I thought she was not a total supporter of her husband, but now their loving handholding either defies that thought, or has one think she does do what she is told.

As a rule, I avoid commenting on family members of elected officials as I think that they're off-limits. But Melania Trump is now an exception.

If she had any moral character, she would have walked away after the p***y-grabbing tape surfaced. Or when the 20+ women came forward with accusations of sexual assault by her husband. Or when her husband made disgraceful comments about a female interviewer "bleeding from whatever place". Or when he made disgraceful comments about female critic Rosie O'Donnell. Or when several female accusers surfaced about his extra-marital affairs. Or when he told the four female congresswomen to go back to the countries they came from (Melania is an immigrant).

But no, she stays by his side, smiling at all the appropriate times, supporting his misogyny by her silence and her presence.  She's a gold-digging, self-serving bimbo who deserves no respect from anyone.

4 hours ago, Peebo said:

Not sure what the mass shooting criteria is, but two folk shot dead in 6pm rush hour traffic with an AR-15 on one of Houston’s busiest commuter freeways last night. 

4+ injured/killed not including the perpetrator.

3 hours ago, peter_hmfc said:

4+ injured/killed not including the perpetrator.

Ah well, just another day in Houston! Probably the only way it made the news was the impact on the traffic...

William H. Bonney
4 hours ago, Peebo said:

Ah well, just another day in Houston! Probably the only way it made the news was the impact on the traffic...

Can you imagine that sort of thing being the norm in Edinburgh? 

‘M8 closed at junction 3 due to shooting in progress. Please use the A89 instead’ 

1 hour ago, Dino Velvet said:

Can you imagine that sort of thing being the norm in Edinburgh? 

‘M8 closed at junction 3 due to shooting in progress. Please use the A89 instead’ 

When I lived in Houston, it’s depressing how quickly I became desensitized to it. 

One of the the main reasons we left was we didn’t one my son growing up thinking “active shooter drills” at school should ever be accepted as normal. 

Edited by Peebo

21 minutes ago, Peebo said:

When I lived in Houston, it’s depressing how quickly I became desensitized to it. 

One of the the main reasons we left was we didn’t one my son growing up thinking “active shooter drills” at school should ever be accepted as normal. 

Or just some dimwit walking into their local Walmart armed with a loaded assault rifle and pistol & wearing body armour whilst recording it all on a camera, so as they could 'test' whether that branch of Walmart respected 'their' 2nd amendment rights, and then he wonder's why there was a mass panic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49303879

The Real Maroonblood
24 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Or just some dimwit walking into their local Walmart armed with a loaded assault rifle and pistol & wearing body armour whilst recording it all on a camera, so as they could 'test' whether that branch of Walmart respected 'their' 2nd amendment rights, and then he wonder's why there was a mass panic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49303879

Unbelievable. 

The problem is that in open carry states, it's perfectly legal for hard-right, white supremacist nutcases to walk around fully geared up like an extra from Mad Max.

Feck knows hot law enforcement are supposed to know who's a "bad guy with a gun" and who's a "good guy with a gun" when everybody has a gun and body armour.

11 minutes ago, Cade said:

The problem is that in open carry states, it's perfectly legal for hard-right, white supremacist nutcases to walk around fully geared up like an extra from Mad Max.

Feck knows hot law enforcement are supposed to know who's a "bad guy with a gun" and who's a "good guy with a gun" when everybody has a gun and body armour.

That’s not the problem. The problem is the easy access to weapons. Open carry is lunacy but it would have made little difference in the mass shootings in open carry states.