Bitcoin and all that

Unknown user

15 minutes ago, Jambos1983 said:

Thanks very much. I think i'll need to read that a few times to get my head round it all! 

It sounds more complicated than it is really. The main problem is that while Binance is a really good exchange IMO, you can't load normal money to it directly, so you have to buy some cryptocurrency somewhere else first and transfer it in. 

That's where Coinbase comes in, they only have three cryptocurrencies to buy but you can load up via a normal bank account with cash money, but some coins there and get your foot in the door.

But... they're expensive with fees. If you buy ethereum on Coinbase, they'll charge a fair bit to send it to Binance. Fortunately Coinbase also has it's own exchange called Gdax, which is much cheapness for fees in comparison and costs much less to send your ethereum to Binance. You can access your Coinbase funds from gdax as I understand it (although I've never used gdax myself), and send them to binance, saving an amount that makes it worth the effort. 

I hope that's clear but ask if you're not sure

Edited by Smithee

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• Jeff

• Rudolf's Mate

• graygo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Jeff said:

Traded 100 of my bitcoin for ICX. Going down the South Korean route

Can't say I know that one. What's the scoop with it?

By the way, HPB about to go skywards. Imminent listing on Kucoin which should generate some interest.

48 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Can't say I know that one. What's the scoop with it?

By the way, HPB about to go skywards. Imminent listing on Kucoin which should generate some interest.

This old reddit post explains the good perks of ICX

Apparantly big plans in SK

14 minutes ago, Jeff said:

This old reddit post explains the good perks of ICX

Apparantly big plans in SK

Sounds interesting, though can't help feeling I've missed the boat with that one.

20 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Sounds interesting, though can't help feeling I've missed the boat with that one.

20 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Not sure, a lot of people are expecting it to be around $18 by the end of the year so that would be a 300% increase

HeinzTomatoSoup

How low do you think Bitcoin will drop to? 

Currently at £5,840!!!! Dropped from a high of £14,500 in less than 6 weeks.

Has the bubble burst?

jack D and coke
57 minutes ago, HeinzTomatoSoup said:

Has the bubble burst?

It’s difficult to know. I’d personally say no and people are panicking and cashing out. 

I was in for the long term anyway so I’m content to leave it but it’s bleeding heavily atm. 

1 hour ago, HeinzTomatoSoup said:

Has the bubble burst?

That's the million dollar question! We all knew how volatile the whole thing is so it's no real surprise to see mental fluctuations. All you can really do is sit it out and see what happens, it's completely unpredictable

On 26/01/2018 at 02:31, wallace_mercer said:

Piled in a few grand last week and massively Down 

long term hold though 

ripple and etherium 

You nervous yet?

You seem to have bought just before a massive crash.

I've also got an Ethereum and a 20th of a Bitcoin but I bought them about a year ago so I'm still well ahead. Planning on keeping them longer term anyway as I'm sure you are.

700 quid down on my bitcoin in the last few weeks but still happy to sit and hold.

Still up and it's with side money so if I lose it all, I lose it all.

Sadly there will be people who lumped a lot of important money a month ago who have lost a lot!

6 minutes ago, Jeff said:

700 quid down on my bitcoin in the last few weeks but still happy to sit and hold.

Still up and it's with side money so if I lose it all, I lose it all.

Sadly there will be people who lumped a lot of important money a month ago who have lost a lot!

Down a fair whack, but it's money which would have been in S&S (down) or precious metals (also down), so no great loss really.

1 minute ago, Craig_ said:

Down a fair whack, but it's money which would have been in S&S (down) or precious metals (also down), so no great loss really.

You're only down when you sell to be fair :P

It'll be back up

2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

My bum would definitely be twitching if I'd chucked a few grand in last week. :wow:   

Should see some of the horror stories on reddit. Bought $6k worth of Ripple at $3.50 now worth about $0.8

Just now, Jeff said:

Should see some of the horror stories on reddit. Bought $6k worth of Ripple at $3.50 now worth about $0.8

Ouch. Thankfully I only bought about £40 worth while it was at about £2.

3 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Ouch. Thankfully I only bought about £40 worth while it was at about £2.

I bought 100 at 80p so down about 50%

Every coin is down though although Ethereum and NEO seem to be battling the drop and aren't in freefall. Think the worst thing that could've happened recently is the big media bump about how great bitcoin is and that everyone should get invested because as soon as there is a slight drop, everyone keeks it and sells straight away. Once the Asians are back after new year I think we will see things rise back.

9 minutes ago, Jeff said:

I bought 100 at 80p so down about 50%

Every coin is down though although Ethereum and NEO seem to be battling the drop and aren't in freefall. Think the worst thing that could've happened recently is the big media bump about how great bitcoin is and that everyone should get invested because as soon as there is a slight drop, everyone keeks it and sells straight away. Once the Asians are back after new year I think we will see things rise back.

Ethereum is down 27% today mate.

Massive drop.

24 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

The FTSE 100 is down 2.5% in a week

Gold is down 0.35% over the same period.

Bitcoin? Down 35% since last Friday.

Aye, all pretty much the same right enough :huh2:

9 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

Ethereum is down 27% today mate.

Massive drop.

Yeah you're right but the last few weeks it's held pretty strongly compared to the rest

37 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Yeah you're right but the last few weeks it's held pretty strongly compared to the rest

Good time to buy, right? ??

1 minute ago, cosanostra said:

Good time to buy, right? ??

Still plenty of time for it to drop further.

Wait for the 17th :P

Edited by Jeff

9 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

What happens then?

Chinese new year celebrations are on the 16th.

Btw - WE ARE CURRENTLY GOING TO THE MOON.

£200 up in the last 15mins...

3 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Chinese new year celebrations are on the 16th.

Btw - WE ARE CURRENTLY GOING TO THE MOON.

£200 up in the last 15mins...

The recovery is underway mate.

Dean Winchester

Think January/February are historically bad for Bitcoin.

As others have said I'd expect it to start bouncing back after the Chinese New Year.

Here comes the Pepsi Max Big One drop. 

If we survive this one I think we're good going forward. Not selling my bitcoin til it hits $30k (if of course)

See the credit card companies in the US have banned bitcoin purchase on credit.

Pretty awful that people have been doing this , I can imagine that many people will be in serious difficulty if it does not recover

Its now down from $20000 to under $8000, that's some serious losses for people

16 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Pretty awful that people have been doing this , I can imagine that many people will be in serious difficulty if it does not recover

That is crazy actually, I never really thought about it. I suppose an extension of the rule applies, 'if you can't afford to lose it, don't invest' 

Edited by Smithee

William H. Bonney
29 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Lloyds bank have done the same. 

32 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

It takes a special kind of idiot to buy crypto currency with money they don't actually have/have to spare. No sympathy tbh.

17 minutes ago, Smithee said:

That is crazy actually, I never really thought about it. I suppose an extension of the rule applies, 'if you can't afford to lose it, don't invest' 

That's the bummer with gambling though

Bitcoin has been hyped up as a sure thing, people are gambling on it- some sensibly, but the chance for people to throw money on it to "get rich quick" or get themselves out of financial trouble is a worry

Some info on the US banks banning the purchase of cryptocurrencies using credit cards:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-02/bofa-to-decline-all-cryptocurrency-transactions-on-credit-cards

And on Lloyds:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/feb/05/lloyds-bank-bans-buying-bitcoins-credit-cards

To be honest, I think the squeeze will continue until governments and financial regulators feel that they have a handle on cryptocurrencies. It may have a positive effect in the long-term however in helping to dampen the swings.

22 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Don't see the problem with the credit card companies banning purchases of crypto tbh. It's their money afterall

Quite right, in the same way online bookies won't accept credit cards, the ones I'm with don't anyway.

12 minutes ago, graygo said:

Quite right, in the same way online bookies won't accept credit cards, the ones I'm with don't anyway.

Exactly. I don't understand why this news is causing a drop but hey ho, there you go!

1 minute ago, graygo said:

Daily Express financial journalists are obviously not talking to each other.

Capture.JPG

Ripple have been signing deals all over the place, and it's had zero effect on the price. Until coins uncouple from BTC, they're going to continue to struggle.

4 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Ripple have been signing deals all over the place, and it's had zero effect on the price. Until coins uncouple from BTC, they're going to continue to struggle.

certainly hope so but I reckon that governments and major global financial institutions will make sure that cryptocurrency doesn't prevail long term.

19 minutes ago, graygo said:

certainly hope so but I reckon that governments and major global financial institutions will make sure that cryptocurrency doesn't prevail long term.

This is where I'm at

The idea that anyone (literally) could invent a currency, then sell it, and allow its unfettered use to move currency without tracking- is simply NOT something that will be allowed

5 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

It takes a special kind of idiot to buy crypto currency with money they don't actually have/have to spare. No sympathy tbh.

Now under $7500

Bitcoin has lost $60 billion off its value  and is now trading at 1/3 of its high price.

Some people will have been utterly ruined by this, and I have sympathy for them - they are people with kids and homes.

If bitcoin was a company shares would be suspended- everyone would be expecting a liquidation event

52 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Now under $7500

Bitcoin has lost $60 billion off its value  and is now trading at 1/3 of its high price.

Some people will have been utterly ruined by this, and I have sympathy for them - they are people with kids and homes.

If bitcoin was a company shares would be suspended- everyone would be expecting a liquidation event

It also rose from $900 to $20,000 the year before after similar drops

2 minutes ago, Jeff said:

It also rose from $900 to $20,000 the year before after similar drops

And so it will continue. Not unexpected when it and other cryptocurrencies have nothing concrete actually underpinning the price, only the vagaries of the punters who are buying and selling it.