Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

1 hour ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Brexit was the tippng point - 15 -20, 000 drivers lost in 3 years to 2019.  Brexit and ending FoM means it can't be easily/quickly fixed.

All of a sudden , global supply chains are weakening and yet not a word about this in the years leading up to the current crisis.  What folk don't get is , huge amounts of fresh produce come in daily (espcecially from NL) in vans & lorries. It doesn't come in giant container ships into Felixstowe but  the usual ignorant suspects are tweeting about 7 day waits in Charleston or  100s ships moored off the Californian coast - it's irrelevant.  I'm not bothered about cheap, crappy consumer goods pouring out of China but I do care that I often can't get the day to day foodstuffs that weren't a problem pre 2016.  We don't need ships or giant containers to get that into the UK. 

As for getting it on lorries/vans - I was talking to an ex import/export guy who pointed out that this is going to get worse because Irish drivers who'd normally go Dublin/Holyhead (and possibly do a bit of extra work bringing  goods into UK or moving goods around on their return leg) will do so in ever decreasing numbers because the Irish govrenment has invested heavily in super ferries to by-pass the UK land bridge as they don't trust the UK.

They've gone from 12  to 44 in less than 5 years. 

German losses are exactly the same regarding drivers.

What day to day foodstuffs is it that you cant get?

• Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Brexit was the tippng point - 15 -20, 000 drivers lost in 3 years to 2019.  Brexit and ending FoM means it can't be easily/quickly fixed.

All of a sudden , global supply chains are weakening and yet not a word about this in the years leading up to the current crisis.  What folk don't get is , huge amounts of fresh produce come in daily (espcecially from NL) in vans & lorries. It doesn't come in giant container ships into Felixstowe but  the usual ignorant suspects are tweeting about 7 day waits in Charleston or  100s ships moored off the Californian coast - it's irrelevant.  I'm not bothered about cheap, crappy consumer goods pouring out of China but I do care that I often can't get the day to day foodstuffs that weren't a problem pre 2016.  We don't need ships or giant containers to get that into the UK. 

As for getting it on lorries/vans - I was talking to an ex import/export guy who pointed out that this is going to get worse because Irish drivers who'd normally go Dublin/Holyhead (and possibly do a bit of extra work bringing  goods into UK or moving goods around on their return leg) will do so in ever decreasing numbers because the Irish govrenment has invested heavily in super ferries to by-pass the UK land bridge as they don't trust the UK.

They've gone from 12  to 44 in less than 5 years. 

Supply chain sustainability was flagged up by quite a few studies pre brexit.

"We didn't know what we were signing"

"The deal was written in haste"

"The EU took advantage of our shambolic government"

Tough titty ya dicks.

You spent over 40 years agitating to leave the EU then after finally winning your out referendum, another 4 years negotiating the terms.

Now you're upset because cold reality is slapping you in the face.

Zero sympathy.

5 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Back hauling was always a great way for freight forwarding/transport companies to maximise the capacity carried by the UK or European fleets. It's apparently down to negligible levels now especially on the cross channel routes. Indeed European freight forwarders now just want to drop trailers at ports to avoid the time and paperwork involved in moving goods into the UK and tying up wagons and drivers for an inordinate amount of time.

Mind when Priti Patel wanted to starve out the Irish by blockading food imports from the EU into Ireland? 

How's that working out for you, you racist boot?

She’s vile 

15 minutes ago, Cade said:

"We didn't know what we were signing"

"The deal was written in haste"

"The EU took advantage of our shambolic government"

Tough titty ya dicks.

You spent over 40 years agitating to leave the EU then after finally winning your out referendum, another 4 years negotiating the terms.

Now you're upset because cold reality is slapping you in the face.

Zero sympathy.

👍

WorldChampions1902
11 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

What's it gonnae take for folk to wake up to these criminals? 

The U.K. is suffering from Brexit “Stockholm Syndrome”, where a large number of Tory voters have been taken hostage and are exhibiting feelings of sympathy towards its captor (The Eton Mess). Until these voters cease with their irrational tribalism, the U.K. will remain captive.

7 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

The U.K. is suffering from Brexit “Stockholm Syndrome”, where a large number of Tory voters have been taken hostage and are exhibiting feelings of sympathy towards its captor (The Eton Mess). Until these voters cease with their irrational tribalism, the U.K. will remain captive.

Levelling up with Labour policies, should sort that out.

7 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

He is the Pied Piper of Westminster. 

For me, we now can't get stuff we used to, from German companies, as they no longer ship to the UK. Even companies as big as Playmobil. We've also had to fork out for new passports, as we were told the German ones for the kids might be an issue as they don't have anything to show they have settled status. They said it'd be better if they had British ones. It also means our plans of living in Germany for a year are pretty much goosed. 

Minor in the overall scheme of things but definitely an impact on our lives, long term and short. 

Edited by Norm

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

What's it gonnae take for folk to wake up to these criminals? 

When the polls show Johnson losing the next gen election the Tories will dump him, as they did May & Thatcher. They'll pretend it was an aberration while forgetting it was the Tory party that foisted this clown on the country. And on it goes. 

You have to wonder at what point Scotland gets off its knees and says "enough !". 

1 minute ago, NANOJAMBO said:

When the polls show Johnson losing the next gen election the Tories will dump him, as they did May & Thatcher. They'll pretend it was an aberration while forgetting it was the Tory party that foisted this clown on the country. And on it goes. 

You have to wonder at what point Scotland gets off its knees and says "enough !". 

I know one solid No voter at the last Indy ref who is now a hard Yes if there was another one. Brexit and the Tories getting a landslide has absolutely pushed him over the edge. He was a No voter because the economic argument wasn't strong enough. Now, he just thinks rUK is so different politically from Scotland we have to break free. 

25 minutes ago, Norm said:

For me, we now can't get stuff we used to, from German companies, as they no longer ship to the UK. Even companies as big as Playmobil. We've also had to fork out for new passports, as we were told the German ones for the kids might be an issue as they don't have anything to show they have settled status. They said it'd be better if they had British ones. It also means our plans of living in Germany for a year are pretty much goosed. 

Minor in the overall scheme of things but definitely an impact on our lives, long term and short. 

It's the other way round for me.  I have to get some stuff shipped from Germany (occasionally from France or Spain) because either the UK supplier won't ship, or I might incur charges, or I incur a handling charge now that will get refunded to me up to 3 months later, or there's now a price advantage on the continent.

Ultimately that's not actually a hardship for me, but it means I'm no longer buying things from GB, in common with other buyers in Ireland and other EU countries.  That means that British suppliers are losing out to continental competitors.

I still buy from NI, but the British government is trying to make NI uncompetitive.  Levelling up, I believe they don't call it. :laugh:

21 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

It's the other way round for me.  I have to get some stuff shipped from Germany (occasionally from France or Spain) because either the UK supplier won't ship, or I might incur charges, or I incur a handling charge now that will get refunded to me up to 3 months later, or there's now a price advantage on the continent.

Ultimately that's not actually a hardship for me, but it means I'm no longer buying things from GB, in common with other buyers in Ireland and other EU countries.  That means that British suppliers are losing out to continental competitors.

I still buy from NI, but the British government is trying to make NI uncompetitive.  Levelling up, I believe they don't call it. :laugh:

There has been zero comment about this in the UK media. 

38 minutes ago, Norm said:

I know one solid No voter at the last Indy ref who is now a hard Yes if there was another one. Brexit and the Tories getting a landslide has absolutely pushed him over the edge. He was a No voter because the economic argument wasn't strong enough. Now, he just thinks rUK is so different politically from Scotland we have to break free. 

At a risk of hijacking the thread - I totally agree. 

I've been happily esconced in England for nearly 40 years but it's unbearable now. brexit is "done" and no one cares about the aftermath. England couldn't give a toss about NI/GFA/NIP  despite what Frost is telling the world. They have no care for Scotland , they're happy for Scotland to go . No one down here cares any more. It's all about England. 

The Mighty Thor
7 hours ago, Ked said:

Or other hardships they have suffered?

I don't have freedom of movement across 27 countries in Europe any more.

24 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Freedom of movement Was the worse casualty of Brexit and ironically it’s cause . 

Freedom of movement was a really good thing however the way it was managed left a lot to be desired. Specifically around benefits. You would have European family wife husband three kids the husband was working here whilst the wife and kids were back in their home land. They were claiming all the benefits here all the while living back home. That would irk people back here which then caused animosity. 

3 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Freedom of movement was a really good thing however the way it was managed left a lot to be desired. Specifically around benefits. You would have European family wife husband three kids the husband was working here whilst the wife and kids were back in their home land. They were claiming all the benefits here all the while living back home. That would irk people back here which then caused animosity. 

Yes I agree that did cause animosity , as I am unsure if it worked the other way 

9 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

I don't doubt there are occasions when that's happened but it's hardly the norm.

You weren't entitled to any benefits in this country until you'd lived here 3 years for starters (source: me, moving back from Holland) 

3 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I don't have freedom of movement across 27 countries in Europe any more.

This. I used to spend months at a time in Europe, years sometimes. Now, no longer. It's like being put in a fecking cage.

OK, this is the Government's ACTUAL OFFICIAL position on Brexit:

"We knew it was a bad deal but we signed it anyway for purely domestic political reasons; so we could claim we 'Got Brexit Done' and win an election.
Now we have our massive landslide majority, we want to rip up the deal; so if we could re-start the negotiations all over again, that'd be grand"

That's the line they're telling the EU.

:rofl:

The Mighty Thor
36 minutes ago, Cade said:

"We knew it was a bad deal but we signed it anyway for purely domestic political reasons; so we could claim we 'Got Brexit Done' and win an election.
Now we have our massive landslide majority, we want to rip up the deal; so if we could re-start the negotiations all over again, that'd be grand"

Some of Dom's other tweets are equally as enlightening.

Like the one where he says Spaffer "doesn't have a scooby doo about the Withdrawal Agreement"

or about anything else, as is becoming increasingly clear. 

14 hours ago, Ked said:

Just wondering what posters are lacking on the shelfs ?

14 hours ago, Ked said:

Or other hardships they have suffered?

This seems to have been repeatedly missed but those moaning the most. I must be lucky as my life so far hasn’t changed a single bit since brexit. Work continues, filled up the vehicles when I’ve needed to, got everything I’ve needed from the supermarkets, deliveries from home and abroad have been received, renovated the house and going on holiday in a few days. As I say I must be lucky. 🙄

6 minutes ago, Dazo said:

This seems to have been repeatedly missed but those moaning the most. I must be lucky as my life so far hasn’t changed a single bit since brexit. Work continues, filled up the vehicles when I’ve needed to, got everything I’ve needed from the supermarkets, deliveries from home and abroad have been received, renovated the house and going on holiday in a few days. As I say I must be lucky. 🙄

I couldn't get fuel one day, but I live in a village so there was exactly much choice. But I also fill up regularly so once wasn't bad.

I can't get an offer for a new energy provider yet for when my fixed term ends.

Other than that, no impact on my personal life. Nothing out of stock at the supermarket and no delays to things arriving.

5 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I couldn't get fuel one day, but I live in a village so there was exactly much choice. But I also fill up regularly so once wasn't bad.

I can't get an offer for a new energy provider yet for when my fixed term ends.

Other than that, no impact on my personal life. Nothing out of stock at the supermarket and no delays to things arriving.

Off topic but I think due to price capping the advice at the moment is to go onto the standard tariff as any fixed price tariffs will be higher. 

1 minute ago, Dazo said:

Off topic but I think due to price capping the advice at the moment is to go onto the standard tariff as any fixed price tariffs will be higher. 

Cheers 👍

It's not for a while yet but for once was trying to be organised ahead of time. Will leave it be in that case.

14 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I've said before, apart from my local Co-op which seems to have ongoing problems for months now, the bigger supermarkets in Galashiels I've never had any problems getting everything which we want, Mrs JJ who is in them far more often than I am, has never had any problems either.

Fuel, again no problems, no queues, no panic buying.

I do wonder how much of this is a city thing, because out here in the country we don't seem to be having the same issues of empty shelves & fuel shortages/queues which many are facing in the cities.

4 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I've said before, apart from my local Co-op which seems to have ongoing problems for months now, the bigger supermarkets in Galashiels I've never had any problems getting everything which we want, Mrs JJ who is in them far more often than I am, has never had any problems either.

I do wonder how much of this is a city thing, because out here in the country we don't seem to be having the same issues of empty shelves & fuel shortages/queues which many are facing in the cities.

I live in semi rural area on two major trunk road's: we got it all . No fuel in any petrol stations for a week on those roads and supermarlets were pillaged when the panic buying started.  Went into Lidl yesterday , zero milk. 

3 hours ago, Cade said:

Johnson thinks he's dealing with bureaucrats - not a trading bloc of 400 million people.

He's in for a surprise. 

Also loved how he sent Frost to Lisbon so he could make his volte face public - he literally triggered brexiters with their very own "Lisbon Treaty ".

No doubt they'll be doing a follow up in Maastricht as part of their  pi ss take . 

2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Some of Dom's other tweets are equally as enlightening.

Like the one where he says Spaffer "doesn't have a scooby doo about the Withdrawal Agreement"

or about anything else, as is becoming increasingly clear. 

He was going hysterical last night on twitter. 

4 hours ago, Boy Daniel said:

They were but Cameron soon put a stop to it - but that wasn't enough for the ERG. 

5 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Freedom of movement Was the worse casualty of Brexit and ironically it’s cause

Not strictly true as elements of the Tory party (and laterly, the ERG loons) had always been against the EU , and this became nore pronounced as the EU expanded.  FoM was an easy target as it appealed to the English siege mentality (and the racists, obviously). Throw FoM and the absolute lie from Cummings about Turkey joining and it was job done. Even Cummings admitted that was a key plank in swinging  the vote to Leave. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
24 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Prices are rocketing, too. Some items are 10% more expensive.

Brexit, as far as I can see, is only a success as far as the racists and thick folk are concerned.

Edited by Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

12 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I live in semi rural area on two major trunk road's: we got it all . No fuel in any petrol stations for a week on those roads and supermarlets were pillaged when the panic buying started.  Went into Lidl yesterday , zero milk. 

I sympathise with you, we here haven't had any of that.

The only time we had empty shelves was right at the start of the first lockdown and a lot of that was folks from the central belt coming down to Borders and stripping the our shelves bare.

2 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Brexit, as far as I can see, is only a success as far as the racists and thick folk are concerned.

Always the same when there are supply issues/shortages.

14 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

They were but Cameron soon put a stop to it - but that wasn't enough for the ERG. 

The ERG are clowns. I’ve no idea what reality they were pursuing but what it was would never have worked in our favour. 

18 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Not strictly true as elements of the Tory party (and laterly, the ERG loons) had always been against the EU , and this became nore pronounced as the EU expanded.  FoM was an easy target as it appealed to the English siege mentality (and the racists, obviously). Throw FoM and the absolute lie from Cummings about Turkey joining and it was job done. Even Cummings admitted that was a key plank in swinging  the vote to Leave. 

Yes i should have said partly 

WorldChampions1902
12 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

And people who, because they haven’t been impacted in any way, think all is well. Don’t they watch the news? And where are all the benefits we were promised Brexit would deliver?

Quote, “There are no downsides to Brexit, only upsides”.

We’re waiting.

36 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

That all down to brexit is it ? 😂

36 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

That all down to brexit is it ? 😂

1 hour ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

And people who, because they haven’t been impacted in any way, think all is well. Don’t they watch the news? And where are all the benefits we were promised Brexit would deliver?

Quote, “There are no downsides to Brexit, only upsides”.

We’re waiting.

These are the only things I can see that are reported.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58721085.amp 

We are self sufficient in concrete.

As for the other stuff milk and meat.

Wood and toys for Christmas.Oh and new cars.

They are a mixture of many things not helped by brexit.

But heres my over riding concern.

All of these things are without a doubt heavy contributors to the number 1 problem we face.

A planet we can live on.

I get that many view brexit they way they do.

But to claim that its having an effect other than 1st world problems is frankly nonsense.

I asked and other than being able to freely travel(as far as I know it's only been covid which restricts my ability to visit and work abroad)and the odd claim of no milk in aldis is about it.

It's affected business no doubt but claims of bare shelves etc has not been something I've experienced.

As for John Lewis acquisition of ships so we can have enough toys for Christmas.

I mean cmoantae $#@!

David Frost, June 2015: "When we get to the referendum, I hope it's a real debate about everything Europe offers. I would add the Single Market & single trade policy. It's probably a 5-8% GDP uplift.. There's a very clear benefit.. We'd begin to lose it if we weren't part of it"