• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

WorldChampions1902
2 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Excruciating interview with Keunnsberg, her looking at him like, you're making ME look like a chump as well

F180E39C-4266-40ED-B015-D6A410F2C697.jpeg

3 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

as ever with Johnson and his inability to tell the truth.......

The actual number of tanker drivers that have applied for UK visas is in fact 27 (as reported in the Times and the i) and not 127 as spaffed by the Eton mess.

27 & 127 could both be correct.

100 normal HGV drivers and 27 tanker drivers who have the additional qualifications to drive hazardous materials, which your normal HGV driver typically doesn't have.

The 5000 visas are for HGV drivers, which will cover everyone with an HGV licence, some of whom will be able to drive tankers, I'd imagine.

No matter anyway, as there will not be 5000 HGV drivers taking up the offer, needs to be for a lot longer period, for a start, imo

7 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

F180E39C-4266-40ED-B015-D6A410F2C697.jpeg

So bad this time no room for nodding along encouragingly as if to a child reciting something they've learned

What if I ruffled my hair, Laura, would that help? You know, back at Eton it was a lot easier. I'd say a lot easier.

3 hours ago, Ked said:

https://www.bifa.org/news/articles/2018/dec/truck-driver-shortage-crisis-now-spreading-across-the-whole-of-europe

For some balance..

Not taking one side or another just seems this thread isnt quite grasping the whole picture.

My opinion .

It is made worse for the UK because of Brexit. The EU can easily shift drivers around to help mitigate the shortage, where as the UK is on its own (and all tied up in unappealing red tape).

11 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Is a 3 year old article really that relevant for balance?

I think his point is that not only is the HGV thing is felt wider than Britain, but also that it pre-dates Brexit.

Which it is, and it does.

Doesn't make Brexit any less stupid though and it's certainly exacerbating the issue.

Edited by Taffin

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Taffin said:

I think his point is that not only is the HGV thing is felt wider than Britain, but also that it pre-dates Brexit.

Doesn't make Brexit any less stupid though and it's certainly exacerbating the issue.

We all knew and understood this though, that surely can't be his point.

Well that makes it even worse.

It's been widely reported that the Government have known for SEVERAL YEARS that a supply chain crunch was coming, specifically due to HGV problems.

And what have they done about it over that time?

Shite all.

In fact worse than that, they've followed through with a hard brexit and made the situation worse.

24 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Is a 3 year old article really that relevant for balance?

It was and is relevant and despite it age was a precursor to today's goings on.

Being realistic doesnt mean brexit is ok but the constant arguments against it on this thread amount to fake news at times.

It's annoying to me if no one else.

11 minutes ago, Smithee said:

What do you think my point was?

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Ked said:

What do you think my point was?

Which whole picture do you think this thread isn't grasping?

17 minutes ago, Smithee said:

If 'we' is people on this thread then I'm not sure we do all know that. 

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Taffin said:

If 'we' is people on this thread then I'm not sure we do all know that. 

I honestly thought the general consensus was that there's a Europe wide issue and Britain ****ed up it's ability to compete for the solution

46 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I honestly thought the general consensus was that there's a Europe wide issue and Britain ****ed up it's ability to compete for the solution

Ah, okay, that would explain why we're unaligned here.

The solution is to make HGV driving a more appealing career with better amenities, hours, shifts and pay to encourage a younger demographic to take it up. I'm not aware of Britain having diminished its ability to do that via Brexit, rather the government and the employers simply just haven't done it (going back years). I'd imagine this is largely due to profit seeking/cost saving, rather than lack of ability to compete; afterall the above solution is not zero-sum.

It has however removed our ability to compete for the sticking plaster of EU drivers which is why it's manifesting itself particularly badly at the moment. That was never a long term solution though as the pool kept getting smaller across the board whilst the demand was increasing; it was simply kicking the can further down the road.

Edited by Taffin

Unknown user
7 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Ah, okay, that would explain why we're unaligned here.

The solution is to make HGV driving a more appealing career with better amenities, hours, shifts and pay to encourage a younger demographic to take it up. I'm not aware of Britain having diminished its ability to do that via Brexit, rather the government and the employers simply just haven't done it (going back years). I'd imagine this is largely due to profit seeking/cost saving, rather than lack of ability to compete; afterall the above solution is not zero-sum.

It has however removed our ability to compete for the sticking plaster of EU drivers which is why it's manifesting itself particularly badly at the moment. That was never a long term solution though as the pool kept getting smaller across the board whilst the demand was increasing; it was simply kicking the can further down the road.

That's all fine but I'm talking about the solution to the problem we face here and now. 

Yes action needs to be taken for the future, but that's a different problem and needs a forward thinking government and coherent strategy. Right now, we need short term drivers.

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Which whole picture do you think this thread isn't grasping?

That it's not as easy as thinking brexit is to blame.

There is a bigger picture which all of the "advanced " nations globally have to address.

And its supply ,raw materials and environmental questions that are nowhere near brexit related.

15 minutes ago, Smithee said:

That's all fine but I'm talking about the solution to the problem we face here and now. 

Yes action needs to be taken for the future, but that's a different problem and needs a forward thinking government and coherent strategy. Right now, we need short term drivers.

Okay.

34 minutes ago, Smithee said:

The here and now seems to have been cheap labour.

If you look beyond the current shortage it's a lot more than brexit to blame.

It is with dismay I read what I think to be left leaning posters quote big business.

We all need to think about the real cost of cheap prices on our shelves.

The  real cost of so called choice of the food we want.

Brexit is not the answer but continued imports of cheap food is wrong on many levels.

The solutions are not easy and I suppose I'm trying to question the easy to blame brexit.

4 hours ago, Taffin said:

The article makes the complete opposite point to the one intended.

Britain has notable supply chain and stock problems.  Everyone else has the occasional minor glitch, or no trouble at all.  So, what's the difference between Britain and everyone else?

Is it a shortage of truck drivers?  Britain has a shortage of truck drivers.  So does everyone else.  So it's probably not that.

Britain has excluded itself from the free movement of goods across the region, thereby imposing additional costs and additional delays to shipments.  Everyone else hasn't.  Any takers?

The HGV driver problem existed before Brexit.  It's become a little worse since Brexit, but let's be honest not that much worse.  Brexit is doing other damage - not because there's anything wrong with Brexit, but because the British government did a post-Brexit trade deal that has caused all these issues to appear.

In case it's not already glaringly obvious, the schtick about truck drivers is designed to make British people "look over there". 

WorldChampions1902
9 hours ago, Ked said:

The here and now seems to have been cheap labour.

If you look beyond the current shortage it's a lot more than brexit to blame.

It is with dismay I read what I think to be left leaning posters quote big business.

We all need to think about the real cost of cheap prices on our shelves.

The  real cost of so called choice of the food we want.

Brexit is not the answer but continued imports of cheap food is wrong on many levels.

The solutions are not easy and I suppose I'm trying to question the easy to blame brexit.

The HGV crisis has been long in the making, agreed. Which makes it all the more unforgivable that this clown government allowed this debacle to reach the point it has. The crisis is not just BREXIT agreed, but Brexit is a significant factor.

I am very much in favour of a fair days pay for a fair days work and against the exploitation of workers. In today’s globalised economy, just how much control as a consumer do you or I have over that?

So in recent days, this government has focussed on the mantra “high pay and no more cheap Eastern European HGV drivers” as the new justification for their unfolding shitshow, when everyone knows that the Tories don’t give a toss about this principle of worker fairness and never have. And it seems that by paying £30 an hour to Broccoli pickers for example, our home-grown fresh produce will sharply increase in price. Restaurant staff are seeing their salaries soar by 30-40%. In essence, there is a mini explosion in consumer prices which, along with energy cost price surges and other cost of living increases are pushing up inflation. Which means my wage and your wage no longer has the same purchasing power which means unless we get a comparable wage increase, we are screwed. To compound matters, all this feeds into the interest rate which will inevitably result in higher mortgage repayments.

So it is all very well protesting about cheap labour and cheap imports and if this government truly wants to be consistent on this theme, then why is it now facilitating the sharp increase in even cheaper labour via immigration from non-EU countries? And why not go the whole hog and impose tariffs on all the cheap crap imported that fills the shelves on the High Street (e.g. Primark et al). The answer is that the problem is very complicated, almost impossible to resolve and would come with a world of pain if we attempted it. A bit like Brexit.

Savage Vince
12 hours ago, Ked said:

It was and is relevant and despite it age was a precursor to today's goings on.

Being realistic doesnt mean brexit is ok but the constant arguments against it on this thread amount to fake news at times.

It's annoying to me if no one else.

Fake news 😁

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

A new TV show in the offing…….

E0B60A1A-0470-4EB3-A6AD-5132BA1700A4.jpeg

Lol oh don’t I absolutely loath and love the show in equal measures ! Those tight fisted ^^^^ on it wanting a 3 bedroom , villa , en suite , swimming pool snd a sea view for under 50,000 euros ! They are usually miserable sods too or look so unhealthy they will be lucky to last a day in the sun 😂

43 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

The HGV crisis has been long in the making, agreed. Which makes it all the more unforgivable that this clown government allowed this debacle to reach the point it has. The crisis is not just BREXIT agreed, but Brexit is a significant factor.

I am very much in favour of a fair days pay for a fair days work and against the exploitation of workers. In today’s globalised economy, just how much control as a consumer do you or I have over that?

So in recent days, this government has focussed on the mantra “high pay and no more cheap Eastern European HGV drivers” as the new justification for their unfolding shitshow, when everyone knows that the Tories don’t give a toss about this principle of worker fairness and never have. And it seems that by paying £30 an hour to Broccoli pickers for example, our home-grown fresh produce will sharply increase in price. Restaurant staff are seeing their salaries soar by 30-40%. In essence, there is a mini explosion in consumer prices which, along with energy cost price surges and other cost of living increases are pushing up inflation. Which means my wage and your wage no longer has the same purchasing power which means unless we get a comparable wage increase, we are screwed. To compound matters, all this feeds into the interest rate which will inevitably result in higher mortgage repayments.

So it is all very well protesting about cheap labour and cheap imports and if this government truly wants to be consistent on this theme, then why is it now facilitating the sharp increase in even cheaper labour via immigration from non-EU countries? And why not go the whole hog and impose tariffs on all the cheap crap imported that fills the shelves on the High Street (e.g. Primark et al). The answer is that the problem is very complicated, almost impossible to resolve and would come with a world of pain if we attempted it. A bit like Brexit.

I think we had all better get used to the fact that we all live lifes that have not been reflective of the true cost.

And I mean that in the sense of impact that has on the environment ,other peoples  and the wastefullness of our need for cheaper throwaway products.

A world of pain is relative by the way.

How the world must pity our higher restaurant prices and our imaginary empty shelves.

Our current approach to an endless expanding economy fueled by sweatshops and cheap Labour is unsustainable.

I dont know the answer but I doubt its found with the current lot in power.

And I'm not sure its found in any current political ideology.

WorldChampions1902
1 hour ago, Ked said:

I think we had all better get used to the fact that we all live lifes that have not been reflective of the true cost.

And I mean that in the sense of impact that has on the environment ,other peoples  and the wastefullness of our need for cheaper throwaway products.

A world of pain is relative by the way.

How the world must pity our higher restaurant prices and our imaginary empty shelves.

Our current approach to an endless expanding economy fueled by sweatshops and cheap Labour is unsustainable.

I dont know the answer but I doubt its found with the current lot in power.

And I'm not sure its found in any current political ideology.

I agree in essence with all most of what you say. I also agree that something needs to be done - if only to save our planet. But we come back to the same old problem. The people in power pull all the levers. They respond to the lobbyists and the ultra-rich that manipulate every aspect of our lives to suit their ends. Money drives everything. Corporate greed is top of the tree. They have never-ending (and unrealistic) annual growth targets that are much to blame for the health of economies and our planet.

Many think that in our ‘democratic’ world, all is fair and everyone has the same life chances. Clearly that is nonsense. The dice is loaded against 95% of us all and no matter which party gets into power, not much changes. Politicians spout whatever they think the masses want to hear and the Eton Mess is the finest example of that. The most profound words spoken at last weeks Climate Summit were those that came from Greta Thunberg. “Blah, blah blah………blah, blah, blah”, she said to describe the years of meaningless sound bites from world leaders on their climate initiatives that have achieved nothing.

Brexit is just another manifestation of the aforementioned greed that most people are yet to wake up to. If and when they do, what will happen? Absolutely nothing. And so the loop continues.

51 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

I agree in essence with all most of what you say. I also agree that something needs to be done - if only to save our planet. But we come back to the same old problem. The people in power pull all the levers. They respond to the lobbyists and the ultra-rich that manipulate every aspect of our lives to suit their ends. Money drives everything. Corporate greed is top of the tree. They have never-ending (and unrealistic) annual growth targets that are much to blame for the health of economies and our planet.

Many think that in our ‘democratic’ world, all is fair and everyone has the same life chances. Clearly that is nonsense. The dice is loaded against 95% of us all and no matter which party gets into power, not much changes. Politicians spout whatever they think the masses want to hear and the Eton Mess is the finest example of that. The most profound words spoken at last weeks Climate Summit were those that came from Greta Thunberg. “Blah, blah blah………blah, blah, blah”, she said to describe the years of meaningless sound bites from world leaders on their climate initiatives that have achieved nothing.

Brexit is just another manifestation of the aforementioned greed that most people are yet to wake up to. If and when they do, what will happen? Absolutely nothing. And so the loop continues.

Like I said I dont have any answers and dont see any from current political thinking.

Capitalism has delivered in a lot of ways but theres a price that isnt tied in.

I could probably spend time arguing with myself and pick holes easily in my posts.

I suppose we in a way have to count our blessings as it definitely could be worse.

On 05/10/2021 at 14:40, Deke Thornton said:

Years go by but the exquisite pain of remoaners continues unabated.
Why not bypass the EU and recruit really low wage drivers, fruit pickers and baristas from sub-Saharan Africa. That would allow the hauliers and supermarkets to maximise their profits.

No mate. No pain,  only the pleasure of posts like this.  

19 hours ago, Cade said:

Well that makes it even worse.

It's been widely reported that the Government have known for SEVERAL YEARS that a supply chain crunch was coming, specifically due to HGV problems.

And what have they done about it over that time?

Shite all.

In fact worse than that, they've followed through with a hard brexit and made the situation worse.

Their own HoC committe warned them in 2017 and the main concerns in their report have largely come true : fuel shortages, lack of food and escalating energy costs*. They were warned.

Also they had a meeing in June this year with RHA at which the RHA put forward proposals to alleviate the logjam but were ignored. 3 months later, the govt is denying the meeting happened and has apparenly implemented everything the RHA asked for. 

*This appeared in the "Yellowhammer" document the government fought so hard not to disclose. 

On 05/10/2021 at 14:40, Deke Thornton said:

Years go by but the exquisite pain of remoaners continues unabated.
Why not bypass the EU and recruit really low wage drivers, fruit pickers and baristas from sub-Saharan Africa. That would allow the hauliers and supermarkets to maximise their profits.

Print this off and put it on your wall 😄

WorldChampions1902

The Brexit Cultists need to read these wise words from James O’Brien. But they won’t.

“The predictions of empty shelves, driver shortages and worker shortages, which were branded 'Project Fear', are now a reality - and the Government insists it is part of the Brexit plan, says James O'Brien.
"Everybody who explained and predicted, from the Governor of the Bank of England, to the head of most FTSE 100 companies and every Prime Minister this country has ever had, everybody who explained and predicted what is happening now was shouted down by the people now in power... And now almost before your very eyes, they're saying no no, they were right all along. But this was always part of our plan...
That's what they're doing to you now, led by Boris Johnson, Jacob Rees-Mogg and the rest of them. Getting away with it, not properly held to account for it, not properly even questioned about it. They're going from claiming it was all a load of scaremongering, Remoaner, Project Fear nonsense to claiming that everybody knew that this was going to happen."
Supply and delivery issues could be set to continue beyond the initial fuel panic as only 127 EU drivers want to work in Britain of the 5,000 desired for the weeks leading up to the holidays.
As well as an estimated shortfall of 100,000 HGV drivers, large companies such as Tesco also warned last week that the labour crunch could lead to empty supermarket shelves and panic buying in the lead-up to Christmas.
The issue is extending from the haulage, farming and hospitality sectors to almost all parts of the economy, putting “severe pressure” on UK businesses, a new survey has warned.

James said, "People who told you that all of the predictions of what is happening now... were actually right, but the people who said they were wrong are now claiming they knew this was going to happen all along."
Conservative ministers ex-Brexit Secretary David Davis and Iain Duncan Smith have both told LBC the fault of shortages lie with the industries themselves, which James branded both "pathetic and brilliant."
He continued: "'Project Fear' described labour shortages and possible threats to the supply chain of food, the possibility, of empty shelves in supermarket..and big problems with things like farming, agriculture, slaughtering, and butchery, all of the things that are now really happening.

"The point was, everybody who warned that this was going to happen was shouted down by the people who are now in power.
"Everybody who explained and predicted, from the Governor of the Bank of England, to the head of most FTSE 100 countries and every Prime Minister this country has ever had, everybody who explained and predicted what is happening now was shouted down by the people now in power.
"What do the people now in power do when the stuff they said was never going to happen starts happening?
"They will claim the polar opposite. They will move effortlessly, they will move seamlessly, they will move shamelessly from insisting quite robustly, occasionally even dare I say rudely, from insisting that all of these predictions were ridiculous, all of these Project Fear explanations were scaremongering nonsense, all of these people were miserable Remoaners.
"And now almost before your very eyes, they're saying no no, they were right all along. But this was always part of our plan.
"That's what they're doing to you now, led by Boris Johnson, Jacob Rees-Mogg and the rest of them. Getting away with it, not properly held to account for it, not properly even questioned about it.
"They're going from claiming it was all a load of scaremongering, Remoaner, Project Fear nonsense to claiming that everybody knew that this was going to happen. The people that we derided and dismissed and denied, of course they were right all along, everybody knew this was going to happen and that was the plan.
"If businesses aren't ready to deal with all the things we told business were not going to happen then that is the fault of businesses. They should have known we were wrong. That is the message from Government."
He reiterated: "The message that Downing Street is giving those businesses is: it's your fault for not being ready to deal with all the things we told you wouldn't happen."
Edited by WorldChampions1902

periodictabledancer
5 hours ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

The Brexit Cultists need to read these wise words from James O’Brien. But they won’t.

“The predictions of empty shelves, driver shortages and worker shortages, which were branded 'Project Fear', are now a reality - and the Government insists it is part of the Brexit plan, says James O'Brien.
"Everybody who explained and predicted, from the Governor of the Bank of England, to the head of most FTSE 100 companies and every Prime Minister this country has ever had, everybody who explained and predicted what is happening now was shouted down by the people now in power... And now almost before your very eyes, they're saying no no, they were right all along. But this was always part of our plan...
That's what they're doing to you now, led by Boris Johnson, Jacob Rees-Mogg and the rest of them. Getting away with it, not properly held to account for it, not properly even questioned about it. They're going from claiming it was all a load of scaremongering, Remoaner, Project Fear nonsense to claiming that everybody knew that this was going to happen."
Supply and delivery issues could be set to continue beyond the initial fuel panic as only 127 EU drivers want to work in Britain of the 5,000 desired for the weeks leading up to the holidays.
As well as an estimated shortfall of 100,000 HGV drivers, large companies such as Tesco also warned last week that the labour crunch could lead to empty supermarket shelves and panic buying in the lead-up to Christmas.
The issue is extending from the haulage, farming and hospitality sectors to almost all parts of the economy, putting “severe pressure” on UK businesses, a new survey has warned.

James said, "People who told you that all of the predictions of what is happening now... were actually right, but the people who said they were wrong are now claiming they knew this was going to happen all along."
Conservative ministers ex-Brexit Secretary David Davis and Iain Duncan Smith have both told LBC the fault of shortages lie with the industries themselves, which James branded both "pathetic and brilliant."
He continued: "'Project Fear' described labour shortages and possible threats to the supply chain of food, the possibility, of empty shelves in supermarket..and big problems with things like farming, agriculture, slaughtering, and butchery, all of the things that are now really happening.

"The point was, everybody who warned that this was going to happen was shouted down by the people who are now in power.
"Everybody who explained and predicted, from the Governor of the Bank of England, to the head of most FTSE 100 countries and every Prime Minister this country has ever had, everybody who explained and predicted what is happening now was shouted down by the people now in power.
"What do the people now in power do when the stuff they said was never going to happen starts happening?
"They will claim the polar opposite. They will move effortlessly, they will move seamlessly, they will move shamelessly from insisting quite robustly, occasionally even dare I say rudely, from insisting that all of these predictions were ridiculous, all of these Project Fear explanations were scaremongering nonsense, all of these people were miserable Remoaners.
"And now almost before your very eyes, they're saying no no, they were right all along. But this was always part of our plan.
"That's what they're doing to you now, led by Boris Johnson, Jacob Rees-Mogg and the rest of them. Getting away with it, not properly held to account for it, not properly even questioned about it.
"They're going from claiming it was all a load of scaremongering, Remoaner, Project Fear nonsense to claiming that everybody knew that this was going to happen. The people that we derided and dismissed and denied, of course they were right all along, everybody knew this was going to happen and that was the plan.
"If businesses aren't ready to deal with all the things we told business were not going to happen then that is the fault of businesses. They should have known we were wrong. That is the message from Government."
He reiterated: "The message that Downing Street is giving those businesses is: it's your fault for not being ready to deal with all the things we told you wouldn't happen."

Let's not forget , what we're experiencing was a "worst case scenario" prediction *in the event of a

" no deal" brexit.

But we've got a deal and we still  got the worst case scenario with a deal. Can we think about that. 

* Prediction from the govts own Operation "Yellowhammer" document. 

Yellowhammer birdsong  - a little bit of bread and no cheese. 

So what if the world start to look after their own. Is there enough jobs for all the Brits that need to come home?

"Sorry Mr Brit, we need your job for Mr France or Mr Japan"

"What's that?, you don't have a job. Well you need to go home, now".

Edited by ri Alban

WorldChampions1902
6 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

Let's not forget , what we're experiencing was a "worst case scenario" prediction *in the event of a

" no deal" brexit.

But we've got a deal and we still  got the worst case scenario with a deal. Can we think about that. 

* Prediction from the govts own Operation "Yellowhammer" document. 

Yellowhammer birdsong  - a little bit of bread and no cheese. 

I may be wrong, but IIRC, when the government were eventually forced to reveal the details of that Yellowhammer report, they tried to play it down with the doublespeak of the phrase, “best worst-case scenario”. That in itself should have told people something. We are in no way at the zenith of the full of impact Brexit as there are much, much more drastic and damaging consequences in the pipeline which will come to pass, unless the government reverses at least some of its policy and renegotiates (not saying that will happen BTW).

You are bang on about the sick choice of name for that apocalyptic report. The Yellowhammer birdsong lyrics also include the lyrics, “ as poor as mice”.  A subliminal prediction indeed!

Konrad von Carstein
1 hour ago, Deke Thornton said:

I didn’t vote Leave so I guess I miss out on this?

As believable as MA105 being a converted from Yes to Better Together!

If you voted Remain, I doubt you'd be revelling in and foaming about "exquisant pain" of people you've now labelled "Remoaners".

In short you're a haver!

WorldChampions1902

The Economics Editor of The Times now showing up the Tory lies on the “higher wage economy” which is the latest Tory mantra.

BA66FCD6-A02F-4149-BDD0-CE27D0735E99.jpeg

Poland's supreme court rules that some EU laws are incompatible with Poland's constitution.

EU is now withholding funding from Poland.

Which is mental as there is almost no popular support for Poland leaving the EU (two recent polls returned 87% and 89% support for remain)  

The eastern expansion is under grave threat from the heidbangers in Hungry and Poland.

Brexit benefit again, not!

https://apple.news/A9XDxMPS9RPa3PnFIE2CuMw

Cruise ship family's lives 'ruined by Brexit' as rules mean they need dozens of visas

Cruise ship workers are being forced out of the profession and overlooked for their European Union counterparts who don't need work visas, a veteran of the industry has claimed

9 hours ago, Deke Thornton said:

I didn’t vote Leave so I guess I miss out on this?

Go on, you know you want to. 

C'mon man, put SOME credibility into your bollocks posts on here. 😄

2 hours ago, Cade said:

Poland's supreme court rules that some EU laws are incompatible with Poland's constitution.

EU is now withholding funding from Poland.

Which is mental as there is almost no popular support for Poland leaving the EU (two recent polls returned 87% and 89% support for remain)  

The eastern expansion is under grave threat from the heidbangers in Hungry and Poland.

The point of the EU actions (and they're doing it to Hungary too) is to withold funding until member states comply with EU legislation. I think they learned a harsh lesson from Johnson's "cakeism". 

7 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

As believable as MA105 being a converted from Yes to Better Together!

If you voted Remain, I doubt you'd be revelling in and foaming about "exquisant pain" of people you've now labelled "Remoaners".

In short you're a haver!

100%

1 hour ago, NANOJAMBO said:

The point of the EU actions (and they're doing it to Hungary too) is to withold funding until member states comply with EU legislation. I think they learned a harsh lesson from Johnson's "cakeism". 

Yeah I constructed that paragraph poorly.

The "mental" bit is Poland's wannabe authoritarian government pushing for a constitutional fight with the EU and actively harming it's own economy even though 86-89% of Poles like being in the EU.

Absolute bams.

https://theloadstar.com/its-all-going-tits-up-at-uk-box-ports-and-despite-what-boris-says-we-cant-fix-it/

The UK’s main container ports are overwhelmed with unclaimed imports and starting to refuse the restitution of empty boxes urgently needed back in Asia.

And other North European ports are also heavily congested, but the acute HGV driver shortage in the UK has extended container dwell times significantly in past weeks, with the country’s main box hubs now “in danger of grinding to a complete halt”, according to one industry observer.

Yesterday, Felixstowe suspended the restitution of Evergreen, Maersk and CMA CGM empty returns.

Other carriers are also expected to be restricted by the port, but there is no indication as yet that there could be a blanket stop on receiving empty equipment, or that export deliveries could be halted.

In a customer advisory, Evergreen says the block on the return of its empties at Felixstowe was “due to the large volume of import containers coming into the port” against the backdrop of “a well-publicised national driver shortage”.

It added: “Import container dwell times are increasing as a result and causing port congestion.”

The carrier said that since the Felixstowe gate had closed, its restitution team had received “a surge of e-mail enquiries” and asked customers to “bear with us” while it processed them.

“Unfortunately, we have no choice but to temporarily direct all empty units to Tilbury, Liverpool, Teesport and the port of Tyne,” it said, adding that the drop-off locations were “subject to change”, and suggested that customers “contact our restitution team before returning any containers”.

Evergreen said it would contribute to the extra costs by waiving drop-off charges at the new locations, but shippers are being saddled with substantial additional wasted journey and additional haulage charges. Indeed, one forwarder told The Loadstar the extra cost was as much as £500 ($680) per box.

“Merchant hauliers are killing us, charging between £300 and £500 additional for redirecting the empty to another port,” he said.

Meanwhile, in a customer advisory today, Maersk says the empty stop at Felixstowe was due to “the high volume of empty containers on the terminal”, adding: “In giving you this information we hope to avoid further congestion and port congestion.

“We advise that you steer merchant haulage empty returns to London Gateway,” said the carrier, adding that it could also accommodate empty restitution at its feeder ports in the north of the country.

“We understand that this is far from ideal and continue to follow the situation closely with the port, and are looking at ways to reopen as soon as possible,” said Maersk.

Another forwarder said: “It’s getting worse at Felixstowe as the day goes on – now you can’t deliver boxes back there and hauliers are in the wrong places, which is also having further impact on tonight/tomorrow’s collections.

“It’s going very much ‘tits-up’ very rapidly, with knock-on effects causing greater disruption than the obvious congestion – it’s all being pushed back through the chain. This will be a major issue by next week, I suspect.”

The Loadstar understands that some carriers are now considering skipping UK port calls until the import backlog eases, overlanding containers at Rotterdam or Antwerp for eventual relay back to the UK.

The diversions and lengthy delays in relay will constitute a serious threat to the UK’s Christmas market.

The port of Felixstowe issued this statement to The Loadstar. “We have recently increased storage space available for empty containers and have been in constant dialogue with all our customers in recent weeks about increasing numbers of empty containers on port. Each customer knows what capacity is available within its own allocation and manages its stock accordingly.”

Meanwhile prime minister Boris Johnson yesterday denied there was a crisis, but also said that the UK’s “world leading” logistics industry could fix it.

But one UK forwarder said the prime minster was “deranged”.

“Bob the builder, I am not,” he added.

More good news for Broken Brexit Britain's high wage, high skill, high bullshit economy as Intel leave UK out of their plans for a microchip factory. Of course it could well be a ruse just to gouge extra subsidies.

A classy BTL comment though
"So there we have it. Either fish or chips, definitely not both." 😂

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58820599

WorldChampions1902
2 hours ago, RobboM said:

More good news for Broken Brexit Britain's high wage, high skill, high bullshit economy as Intel leave UK out of their plans for a microchip factory. Of course it could well be a ruse just to gouge extra subsidies.

A classy BTL comment though
"So there we have it. Either fish or chips, definitely not both." 😂

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58820599

The article opens with the line, “The boss of Intel says the US chipmaker is no longer considering building a factory in the UK because of Brexit”.

The market for semi-conductors will double to $800 billion over the next 7 years. Never mind. Think of those extra shipments of hormone-injected lamb we will get from Oz, worth two bob (relatively speaking).

Looking forward to the usual suspects explaining how it’s nothing to do with Brexit.

Edited by WorldChampions1902

WorldChampions1902
37 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

:sweeet:

Cannot wait for inflation to start pushing up interest rates. It’s mightily close I reckon. A few increases over the next 12 months will be the final straw for many Leavers. Just a pity that so many “innocents” will also pay the price.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 hour ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

There's one of the thick, racist, Brexit supporters right there.