Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Pete Wishart :rofl: The Tories would be raging.

Whether or it is serious media are reporting he is standing for Speaker. 

Tory Edward Leigh also mentioned. 

Just now, ri Alban said:

Sir wife/Gf beater.

I understand the complaints.

But it's good for domestic abuse campaigners as it highlights the issue. 

Incredible scences last night in parliment. Speaker does his duty and suspends parliment only for a protest to break out and to be pulled back into his chair. They then all proceeded to fall over In an almost Charlie Chaplin or Laurel and Hardie like scene. 

The conservative benches howling and beckoning all night whilst any opposition was speaking was embarrassing.

Boris Johnson has no where to go now. He can not legally take us out with no deal, he cannot negotiate further with EU as they will not deal in the Backstop, he cannot bring back May's deal and he certainly will not get a general election. He is backed into a corner and the only outcome I can see is him either resigning or doing something utterly sinister to get out of this mess. 

14 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Harriet Harman is running for Speaker. 

Must have a decent chance. Been longest female MP, nearly 40 years since 1982.

I was thinking that she was the most likely if she wanted the job.   Ticks a few boxes.    Female.    Labour's turn.    Highly experienced (parliamentary proceedure etc).     Certainly wont be bullied around.

Edited by Victorian

jack D and coke
23 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Theresa May has finally at last achieved something.

Arise Sir Geoffrey. 

17 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

A f*****g joke.

My thoughts exactly. What the actual **** is this place now? Honours after she resigns?! 

I’ll be honest I’m completely lost as to what’s going on in Britain just now. 

The political system is broken. 

May promised to reform the honours system to reduce the amount of peerages,  knighthoods and the rest being doled out by PMs.    Then she hands out the same old list of wholly undeserved and inappropriate gifts.

12 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

If you are a politician you are part of the establishment.  Irrespective of party.

Or a public face of a national broadcaster or a key decision maker within the industry.

Or the CEO of a major company.

Or an editor, sub editor of most of the media outlets.

Or a high ranking union leader.

And so on and so on...

Edit - grinds my gears about folk that claim to be anti establishment.  Farage and Trump nos 1 and 2.

You sound a bit anti establishment to me

10 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

My thoughts exactly. What the actual **** is this place now? Honours after she resigns?! 

I agree, although the resignations honours thing has been going on for years. 

jack D and coke
Just now, SE16 3LN said:

I agree, although the resignations honours thing has been going on for years. 

Has it? I wasn’t aware. 

Seems farcical🤷🏽‍♂️

1 hour ago, SE16 3LN said:

You sound a bit anti establishment to me

Having worked for the two bailed out banks all my life, I'm fully part of it and probably need to be so till my dying day.

3 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Imagine what it's like for people on the outside looking in. :confused:

8 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Imagine what it's like for people on the outside looking in. :confused:

Even America is laughing at us.

And they have Trump and the NRA.

25 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

thankfully in Scotland we have a way out of this mess; just leave the English/Welsh to it

1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

I don't think anyone is laughing at the UK over Brexit, it's more like ... :wtf:

I noticed wee Mhari Bleck staggering about at the Commons entrance as Black Rod appeared on the Parliament channel last night. Looked well lit on the Breezers!

Brighton Jambo

So labour have announced they won’t but a clear remain versus leave direction in their manifesto.  It also looks like in the event they get into power they would get a new deal (seems unlikely given EU stance) then potentially campaign against their own deal.  

They are letting this this country down on the most spectacular level and it is a disgrace they aren’t about to win an election.   It’s almost inconceivable they are so far behind in the polls and this latest news will only compound that.  

3 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

So labour have announced they won’t but a clear remain versus leave direction in their manifesto.  It also looks like in the event they get into power they would get a new deal (seems unlikely given EU stance) then potentially campaign against their own deal.  

They are letting this this country down on the most spectacular level and it is a disgrace they aren’t about to win an election.   It’s almost inconceivable they are so far behind in the polls and this latest news will only compound that.  

It's all Labour's fault, so it is.

:Aye:

Brighton Jambo
Just now, ri Alban said:

It's all Labour's fault, so it is.

:Aye:

No of course not and you know that’s not what I meant.  But their absolute failure to take advantage of the most toxic dysfunctional government any of us can remember is ridiculous.  

Under JC labour are falling further behind in the polls.  Let’s that sink in, this PM, this debacle, this cabinet and he is trailing further behind than at the last election.

No one can defend that performance, no one. 

6 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Shite as usual. 

If you are anti-Labour and /or anti-Corbyn then fair enough. You can explain that. 

Brexit is all about the Tory party. You can read up on it. 

2 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

No of course not and you know that’s not what I meant.  But their absolute failure to take advantage of the most toxic dysfunctional government any of us can remember is ridiculous.  

Under JC labour are falling further behind in the polls.  Let’s that sink in, this PM, this debacle, this cabinet and he is trailing further behind than at the last election.

No one can defend that performance, no one. 

Need to wait till the next election before you can be sure. 

Labour were at 22% and finished at 40%  in 2017.

Edited by Mikey1874

Brighton Jambo
2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Shite as usual. 

If you are anti-Labour and /or anti-Corbyn then fair enough. You can explain that. 

That’s rich coming from you.  There is no way we should be looking at a Tory government after the next election.  Not a cat in hells chance but that is what may well happen because Corbyn is a disgrace of an opposition leader.  

How can you justify him still not having a clear position on brexit after all this time.  Seriously how? 

Brighton Jambo
7 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Shite as usual. 

Also I haven’t voted Labour since my teens but I would have voted for them next time as I will never vote for this brand of Tory government and there is no one else viable to vote for.  I wonder how many millions are in my boat.  

4 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Also I haven’t voted Labour since my teens but I would have voted for them next time as I will never vote for this brand of Tory government and there is no one else viable to vote for.  I wonder how many millions are in my boat.  

If Brexit is deciding how you vote, fair enough. 

You can see the Manifestos to help make your mind up. This is Labour's recent policy list. 

IMG_20190910_175203.jpg

11 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

That’s rich coming from you.  There is no way we should be looking at a Tory government after the next election.  Not a cat in hells chance but that is what may well happen because Corbyn is a disgrace of an opposition leader.  

How can you justify him still not having a clear position on brexit after all this time.  Seriously how? 

Brexit has made it hard for everyone. Corbyn and Labour committed to delivering Brexit after 2016 then at the 2017 election. Labour is old fashioned also in democratically aligning with agreed policy (see Trident). 

More recently mainly because the Conservative Government failed to deliver, Brexit the pressure to support Remain and a second referendum has grown. 

You try and put together a Brexit policy when you are trying to win 326 seats across the whole country. 

As I've said the election result will be the verdict. 

AlphonseCapone

No one can surely argue that Labour aren't an absolute joke. Whoever decides their strategy is a moron. They've been decimated in Scotland because no one on either side of the debate (pro or anti independence) trusts them. So what do they do? Mimic the same thing for Brexit across the UK. 

Seymour M Hersh
51 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

If Brexit is deciding how you vote, fair enough. 

You can see the Manifestos to help make your mind up. This is Labour's recent policy list. 

IMG_20190910_175203.jpg

It's the 100 plus policies that won't appear in their manifesto that people need to be worried about. 

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

2 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

It's the 100 plus policies that won't appear in their manifesto that people need to be worried about. 

This is what is feared

Labour have tried to be everything to everybody and ended up being nothing to anybody.

Even the Tories have decided to nail their colours to the far right headbanger mast.

At least they made a decision

Seymour M Hersh
2 minutes ago, Cade said:

Labour have tried to be everything to everybody and ended up being nothing to anybody.

Even the Tories have decided to nail their colours to the far right headbanger mast.

Did well in your first sentence (probably cut & pasted from somewhere else right enough) but another epic fail in the second sentence.

4 minutes ago, Cade said:

And they've lost about 20 MPs because of that decision.  Sadly Corbyn will cost labour votes giving the Tories a chance.  

You've also got to think of those 148 Labour constituencies who voted to leave the EU, I cant imagine they'll be happy with many of their MP's.

I think all those previous calls for an election, or 'people's vote', (what is the difference?) were just bluster. Now that their bluff has been called, they are once again all over the place.

18 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

And they've lost about 20 MPs because of that decision.  Sadly Corbyn will cost labour votes giving the Tories a chance.  

Considering that opinion polls have more or less been wrong (sometimes WAY wrong) on just about everything recently, anything could happen in a General Election.

3 minutes ago, Cade said:

Considering that opinion polls have more or less been wrong (sometimes WAY wrong) on just about everything recently, anything could happen in a General Election.

I know but they wouldn't be as close as they are without Corbyn.  Labour would be well ahead due to the current shambles.  Rightly or wrongly, a lot of people won't vote for him.  I'd rather him than the Tories as it would be a fairer place.  A lot of things haven't helped him and the general public do fall for the image the press have created for him.  Even if the anti semitic stuff is cultivated, he knows that and should've dealt with it better just to counter it.

What happened to the direct democracy that he promised when elected leader?

If it's happening,  they are keeping it very low profile for something that was his key selling point.  Look at the increase in members because of it.

I have to say that I detested Corbyn before all these shenanigans, but I think he's ok now. In fact, his speeches in the Commons have been pretty measured and statesmanlike while still hitting home. I usually vote for the party which is most likely to keep the Tories out of my constituency, but would be more content to vote Labour now than I was before with Corbyn in charge.

The one real take-home I have from the last few months is that I now despise the Tories with *far* more of a passion than before, while still respecting the rapidly diminishing one-nation Tory representatives. There has been a real coup-d'état from the extremists in taking over the Tory party of late.

AlphonseCapone

I think in reality both the Labour and Tory parties need to split, Labour into a left and centre left party, Tories into a right and centre right party. I think this would be the best thing for our democracy as well, would lead to coalitions as par for the course. 

1 hour ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I think in reality both the Labour and Tory parties need to split, Labour into a left and centre left party, Tories into a right and centre right party. I think this would be the best thing for our democracy as well, would lead to coalitions as par for the course. 

I also feel this as well. There is so much division in those parties that it has become toxic. 

I'll be voting SNP but TBH I really hate thatc they currently have no major opposition. This allows them to get away with things like their poor record In Education, health and tax increases not to mention their nanny state intentions. However they are by far the best of a bad bunch. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

I don’t see anyone winning this election with any sort of majority which will just send the political system into further decline. 

We’ll end up with another Brexit vote shortly after which the 3 main parties will ensure ends up remain, which will put Strugeons gas at a peep for while. They’re more concerned with an Indy yes vote than they are with Brexit. SNP are all over this as their way to Indy ref 2 and IMO they will get a yes majority this time with the way the Torries have behaved.

What may get Indy ref 2 up and running is the SNP could be the power brokers in parliament with majorities being so small. 

Whatever happens its not going to be in the best interests of the country!

Edited by Rudy T

15 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

I also feel this as well. There is so much division in those parties that it has become toxic. 

I'll be voting SNP but TBH I really hate thatc they currently have no major opposition. This allows them to get away with things like their poor record In Education, health and tax increases not to mention their nanny state intentions. However they are by far the best of a bad bunch. 

When did the SNP raise tax?

Labour will begin to arrest the ever widening wealth gap between the tiny minority and the large percentage who struggle to have anything.     Given enough time they will do their best to reverse the gross inequalities that the Tories encourage.     Labour will also supervise business and industry from the macro down to the lower levels in order to ensure exploitation and malpractice is policed properly.

The difficult bit is gaining power in the first place.     Trying to get the message over to people that they will be better off under a government who cares about social justice should be straight forward,   but nowadays it is far from it.    Brexit will overshadow domestic political and economic policy for some time.     It's also not easy to convince people to look beyond the communist,   terrorist jibes.     

Edited by Victorian

13 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Theresa May has finally at last achieved something.

Arise Sir Geoffrey. 

Boycott fittingly knighted on the day democracy is boycotted.

• davemclaren changed the title to Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )