Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

Governor Tarkin
3 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

So... Brexit's still going well I see. :mellow:

My advice to the good Scottish people: run, Scotland! Run for the hills! 

What about the arsehole Scottish people? :(

• Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Montgomery Brewster
24 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Maybe the wrong time to comment since we're on to Independence.

But as long as this Government takes responsibility for the fall out from No Deal and doesn't hold an early general election before that, then what they have done today isn't so bad aside from maximising the time. 

It's right the new Johnston Government puts forward it's new legislative programme. And he can put forward his new Deal as part of that programme. 

It’s not a new government. 

A new government is one that’s voted in after a general election. 

What we have at the moment is the same government being led by a new clown.  The same unelected clown nominated to lead his party by 100,000 Tories.

Once a Tory always a Tory. 

38 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Maybe the wrong time to comment since we're on to Independence.

But as long as this Government takes responsibility for the fall out from No Deal and doesn't hold an early general election before that, then what they have done today isn't so bad aside from maximising the time. 

It's right the new Johnston Government puts forward it's new legislative programme. And he can put forward his new Deal as part of that programme. 

Not sure of the finer points, but you can be sure it'll involve printing f-loads of cash. 

dobmisterdobster
25 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

It’s not a new government. 

A new government is one that’s voted in after a general election. 

What we have at the moment is the same government being led by a new clown.  The same unelected clown nominated to lead his party by 100,000 Tories.

Once a Tory always a Tory. 

It literally is a new government. New PM, new front bench etc. Most of Theresa's allies were sacked.

It's not a new Government.

It's a new Cabinet.

It can only be a new Government after an election when the Queen asks the leader to form a Government.

5 minutes ago, Cade said:

It's not a new Government.

It's a new Cabinet.

It can only be a new Government after an election when the Queen asks the leader to form a Government.

Teresa May didn't have any policies though. 

And it allows Johnson in theory to put a newly negotiated deal to Parliament. 

And in our unwritten constitution it's effectively a new government. 

The Mighty Thor

The news of mooth departing is quite amusing. 

A total political lightweight, sound bite politician for the Twitter age. She'll probably rock up in a safe seat in the shires in the next few years. 

Another branch office nobody inbound.

Otherwise the game is afoot and its solid popcorn time until 31/10

15 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Teresa May didn't have any policies though. 

And it allows Johnson in theory to put a newly negotiated deal to Parliament. 

And in our unwritten constitution it's effectively a new government. 

Not happening.

EU has been firm on this ever since they signed off on May's Deal.

Not sure Boris Johnson has thought this through. 

Doesn't he realise there will be a number of cabinet resignations by taking the decision to prorogue parliament?

18 minutes ago, Cade said:

Not happening.

EU has been firm on this ever since they signed off on May's Deal.

I have to say Cade, you've been wrong on just about everything Brexit related up until now so you're due one. I admire your effort though. 

Francis Albert

Outrage at the suppression of debate? Parliament has had 38 months and more to deliver the outcome of the referendum which it voted overwhelmingly to hold and is no nearer to doing so now than  it was in June 2016.

24 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Not sure Boris Johnson has thought this through. 

Doesn't he realise there will be a number of cabinet resignations by taking the decision to prorogue parliament?

These clowns blow with the wind, they lack the the principles to resign. 

15 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Outrage at the suppression of debate? Parliament has had 38 months and more to deliver the outcome of the referendum which it voted overwhelmingly to hold and is no nearer to doing so now than  it was in June 2016.

And for how much of those 38 months did the Government actually involve Parliament in the process of deciding on a deal that would be acceptable to as many stakeholders as possible? Perhaps things could have turned out differently if a cross-party committee had been involved from the get-go. I guess we'll never know now.

3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

And for how much of those 38 months did the Government actually involve Parliament in the process of deciding on a deal that would be acceptable to as many stakeholders as possible? Perhaps things could have turned out differently if a cross-party committee had been involved from the get-go. I guess we'll never know now.

Yeah, and even if not, binning the democratic institution in response is not the way to handle it. Ever. Unless you're eyeing a dictatorship. An Enabling Act, if you like.

Francis Albert
20 minutes ago, redjambo said:

As I recall the House was given the option to vote on multiple Brexit options and failed to support any of them.

14 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

As I recall the House was given the option to vote on multiple Brexit options and failed to support any of them.

Over the entire 38 month period you mentioned? Bollocks. The government kept things almost entirely to itself until very late on in the proceedings. For an event that will have significant effects on this country and its inhabitants, and for which a referendum produced only a small minority in favour of Brexit to boot. All sides should have been involved in taking their time to make a proper measured decision on what form Brexit would take (customs union?, common market? etc.) and, quite simply, they weren't. So don't blame Parliament, blame the Government for keeping everything to itself and then presenting unpalatable choices to Parliament in a series of rushed ill thought-out votes.

annushorribilis III
59 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

It wasn't Parliament's job to deliver - it was the govts job to deliver via negotiations what Leave promised the electorate - or for the govt to say it was not deliverable.  "Leave" said £350M daily for NHS, a managed departure , staying in the single market and not leaving until we had negotiated a deal - and that's just for starters. NONE of that is being delivered - quite the opposite , in some instances , and it is not the fault of parliament. Your point is ridiculous but entirely expected. What "Leave" campaigned for , and won the ref on , is not being delivered but apparently it is undemocratic to point this out and refuse to accept it. So,let's shut parliament down. 

Campaign for Leave in the referendum without a plan

Invoke Article 50 without a plan

Negotiate with the EU all on your own without involving anybody else without a plan

Refuse to include anybody else in negotiations over the course of three years even when it becomes clear you have no actual plan and long term strategy

Suffer ministerial resignations and firings and cabinet re-shuffles as nobody has a clue what they're doing due to not having had a plan

Finalise a cobbled together deal with the EU at the last minute after being granted several extensions because you never had a plan

Act surprised when Parliament rejects it

Change party leader to one of the ones who campaigned for leave without having a plan

Try to blame Parliament for his own mess

That's about right, yes?

4 hours ago, redjambo said:

Over the entire 38 month period you mentioned? Bollocks. The government kept things almost entirely to itself until very late on in the proceedings. For an event that will have significant effects on this country and its inhabitants, and for which a referendum produced only a small minority in favour of Brexit to boot. All sides should have been involved in taking their time to make a proper measured decision on what form Brexit would take (customs union?, common market? etc.) and, quite simply, they weren't. So don't blame Parliament, blame the Government for keeping everything to itself and then presenting unpalatable choices to Parliament in a series of rushed ill thought-out votes.

When Parliament resumes, Boris and his plans will have had exactly a Day of scrutiny since becoming PM. Ridiculous!

13 July- 14 Oct.

Edited by ri Alban

5 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

You do realise the current unelected Cabinet (Democracy and manifestos? who needs them!), voted against every deal, so no deal would happen. The deals the opposition parties voted for, the Tories voted against with the help of the DUP.  May's deal, well you'd be aswell remaining.

Edited by ri Alban

Other than JC as PM, I don't see why the opposition can't form a government. They only had 2% less votes than the Tories at the last election.

7 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Cool. Interesting so far. Thanks for sharing it.

Remember, Scotland kept it laws, so we'll argue from there. 

dobmisterdobster
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Other than JC as PM, I don't see why the opposition can't form a government. They only had 2% less votes than the Tories at the last election.

Because there simply aren't enough MPs to support such a proposal.

You do realise the current unelected Cabinet (Democracy and manifestos? who needs them!), voted against every deal, so no deal would happen. 

Someone on the radio yesterday said all bar two of the current cabinet voted for May's deal.

Seemed unlikely to me, but it's true.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/the-news-explained/boris-johnsons-cabinet-brexit-or-remain/

17 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Because there simply aren't enough MPs to support such a proposal.

A couple of Tory defectors and hey presto! Or that other mob could turn up, but feck that!

Seymour M Hersh

You do realise the current unelected Cabinet (Democracy and manifestos? who needs them!), voted against every deal, so no deal would happen. The deals the opposition parties voted for, the Tories voted against with the help of the DUP.  May's deal, well you'd be aswell remaining.

So cabinets require to be elected now do they? Even although they already are elected MPs. Keep clutching. 

38 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Does it include Mogg?

Yes.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/29/third-vote-on-may-deal-exposes-splits-among-tory-brexiters

32 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

So cabinets require to be elected now do they? Even although they already are elected MPs. Keep clutching. 

Clutching? I'm perfectly happy with events. Thank you very much!

Whether Scotland votes or not, the union is finished. I expect Nigel to start an ENP very shortly after Brexit.

Edited by ri Alban

Who_put_the_ball_in...

What Boris has done is constitutional regardless of right or wrong. I can’t see how any legal action would stand up in court as the constitution hasn’t been breached. 

10 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Cool. Interesting so far. Thanks for sharing it.

If people want to live their lives caring what Wm thinks, rather than have a Scottish government, elected by the Scottish people decide if we can decide our future. Well...

1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

It's not a new government, tho. It's reshuffle.

24 minutes ago, Who_put_the_ball_in... said:

What Boris has done is constitutional regardless of right or wrong. I can’t see how any legal action would stand up in court as the constitution hasn’t been breached. 

It's just tactics to win the GE they're about to call, after they lose the vote of confidence. The loss of the Scottish MPs won't be problem as they'll win convincingly. But The SNP will take the job lot up here and no one can then deny them their referendum, not even yourself.

Edited by ri Alban

3 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Go for independence - without a plan

Suspend Scottish Parliament whilst going for it. 

:sweeet:

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Remember, Scotland kept it laws, so we'll argue from there. 

We've already talked elsewhere about how that is deeply simplifying, in fundamentally wrong ways, what the Acts of Union did as regards law in Scotland. If you read the paper Cruyff Turn linked, you'll see little to no mention of the assertion that "Scotland kept its laws" because that's like trying to use Duplo to build a skyscraper.

You are the exact reason people get lawyers. You absolutely cannot think objectively on this issue, just like most people can't think objectively on most topics near and dear to them, and they need a voice of reason who's not (as) emotionally invested to protect their best interests.

1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Definitely without a currency! :laugh:

Currencies aren't some kind of magic powder. Speaking of people who absolutely cannot think objectively.

If people want to live their lives caring what Wm thinks, rather than have a Scottish government, elected by the Scottish people decide if we can decide our future. Well...

Still have absolutely no idea where you're going or what your point is.

Brighton Jambo
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

It's just tactics to win the GE they're about to call, after they lose the vote of confidence. The loss of the Scottish MPs won't be problem as they'll win convincingly. But The SNP will take the job lot up here and no one can then deny them their referendum, not even yourself.

Boris will deny them it though, he had said as much openly, 2021 is the earliest it will happen.

even though I don’t want independence the simple refusal to let Scotland have another vote makes me a bit uneasy but that is exactly what he will do.

i predict that he will use the whole ‘too busy negotiating trade deals post brexit’ as his excuse for why it’s not the right time.

Ruth Davidson has resigned. 

A lot of chat about achievements. Says biggest "change" is starting family. Effort, travel, effort to fight an election is too much and dreds hours away from family. Nothing negative. 

Plea referring to division in politics for respect in debate. 

Answered questions. Brian Taylor asked about No Deal. Just said should have voted for May's deal and should vote for deal Johnston has told her is striving for. Spoke to Johnston yesterday and has told him to get a deal. Promised Ruth he is working to get a deal. 

Edited by Mikey1874

indianajones
51 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

Sorry to see Ruth step down. I wonder who will replace her. 

Another like minded, horrible tory. All one and the same.

Ruth Davidson has resigned because she knows the impending shit storm that is coming. She did as well as she could as Scottish Tory leader but she loses almost all the seat she has gained in the next GE IMO 

I doubt if Nick Hunt or Javid had won the leadership she would have resigned. Boris Johnson will suck every Scottish vote gained by ruth to SNP/Libral Democrats IMO

Francis Albert

I see mogg has described some of the outrage over  suspension of Parliament as phoney. Sounds a bit Trumpish but I think in some cases at least he has a point. Anna Soubry and Gina Miller outraged at the (alleged) breach of the constitution and running again to the Courts. Suspect if someone came up with a constitutionally dubious way of stopping Brexit they would welcome it with open arms. 

dobmisterdobster
5 hours ago, Who_put_the_ball_in... said:

Joanna Cherry seems to think her Scottish court case can force the PM to revoke Article 50. :facepalm:

Politicians like her will govern an independent Scotland. Anybody sympathetic to that cause, please bear this in mind.

• davemclaren changed the title to Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )