Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

Just now, dobmisterdobster said:

Because he is supposed to be nonpartisan and he clearly isn't.

I.e. Using obscure protocols to allow MPs to become the executive for a day and primary legislation.

But Boris is the one causing a constitutional crisis for requesting a new Queen's speech. 🤔

His job is to defend Parliament and its ability to operate and debate. How can it be considered non-partisan that he is angry that the Government is openly attempting to reduce Parliamentary scrutiny of what is probably the biggest issue to face this country since the last war, especially since Parliament has previously shown a desire to properly scrutinise the issue? No wonder he's bloody livid! :)

• Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, redjambo said:

His job is to defend Parliament and its ability to operate and debate. How can it be considered non-partisan that he is angry that the Government is openly attempting to reduce Parliamentary scrutiny of what is probably the biggest issue to face this country since the last war, especially since Parliament has previously shown a desire to properly scrutinise the issue? No wonder he's bloody livid! :)

Yeah, that's 100% his role and it's a check on the functioning of the government as a whole to prevent any part of it from gathering too much power. Getting upset at him for playing his role, and being outraged in the context of his role, just shows a lack of concern about procedures and why they're there, no matter who's in power at the time.

Papers already submitted in courts both in Scotland and England to pause the shutdown of Parliament pending a review of the legality.

No time to waste on this.

The unelected Prime Minister is asking the unelected Head of State to shut down the democratically elected Parliament in order to force through a pet project.

Anybody not seeing the problem with this is an idiot.

annushorribilis III
22 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

As I said, I'd have preferred a deal but Sturgeon and Corbyn thumbed their noses at it time and again. They are now crying big salt tears about something they engineered. I'd 100% prefer no deal to staying in the EU, but I'm excited about the UK being free again 46 years on from what was supposed to be an economic and not political union. SNP can get excited also as they can stamp their wee Ayeref2 feet all the louder, and who knows maybe it will engender enough pain for them to create Scotland as an EU satellite vassal state with a hugely reduced budget.  

Regardless of who voted it down, the current deal bares no relation  to what Leave campaign promised the electorate during the referendum. 

Just now, Cade said:

Papers already submitted in courts both in Scotland and England to pause the shutdown of Parliament pending a review of the legality.

No time to waste on this.

The unelected Prime Minister is asking the unelected Head of State to shut down the democratically elected Parliament in order to force through a pet project.

Anybody not seeing the problem with this is an idiot.

Was with you up to the last line. People are prone to wanting to see things the way people describe them who are "on their side". They're not idiots, they're just failing to check their biases. It's why I pointed out what that Tory politician said about if Corbyn were trying to do the same thing. All the posters in support of this move would be absolutely up in arms at it. They know it, if they're honest with themselves.

13 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

They are to blame. I think the last attempt by May was quite narrowly defeated. They are opportunistically entrenched and both FOS. the back stop objection especially from Sturgeon was laughable. You take that to it's conclusion and it means there should be no similar back stop between Scotland and England should Scotland leave the Union and join the EU, a hard border ffs. 80% of Scotland's trade subject to a hard border.  She is a hypocrite. I also laughed out loud to her objecting to the EU Common Fishery Policy being retained in the deal. She was all in on the CFP and does a 180 when it suits her.

I’m no cheerleader of Sturgeon or Corbyn but the fact of the matter is, if May failed three times to get a vote through and Johnson is attempting to get something through by removing the threat of a fourth defeat, what does that tell you ?

It’s a shambles, that’s what. Created by Tories, not anyone else.

annushorribilis III
9 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Because he is supposed to be nonpartisan and he clearly isn't.

I.e. Using obscure protocols to allow MPs to become the executive for a day and pass primary legislation.

But Boris is the one causing a constitutional crisis for requesting a new Queen's speech. 🤔

It doesn't  matter whether he is non partisan or not. His job is to ensure parliamentary business to proceeds according to its legality - and he's done that. 

2 minutes ago, annushorribilis III said:

Regardless of who voted it down, the current deal bares no relation  to what Leave campaign promised the electorate during the referendum. 

But it’s the MPs, who are voting it down for that very reason. 

The electorate won’t get another vote.

annushorribilis III
Just now, Boab said:

But it’s the MPs, who are voting it down for that very reason. 

The electorate won’t get another vote.

I understand that.

We'll see It may be the only way out of the impasse but, for some reason I can't quite put my finger on , Boris et al keep talking about the will of the people without asking the people if no deal brexit is what they want. 

Queenie says "aye nae bother pal"

The only three Privy councillors at the meeting were Jacob Reese Mogg, the head of the Lords and the Tory chief whip.

Edited by Cade

2 minutes ago, annushorribilis III said:

I understand that.

We'll see It may be the only way out of the impasse but, for some reason I can't quite put my finger on , Boris et al keep talking about the will of the people without asking the people if no deal brexit is what they want. 

I don’t trust many of them. He, especially, is a dangerous buffoon. 

It’s a sad indictment that we have such people in positions of power. 

AlphonseCapone

Jo Swinson writing to the Queen to ask for a meeting. Why does this pointless ***** think she is of any importance? She's nothing and the Lib Dems are nothing. 

4 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Jo Swinson writing to the Queen to ask for a meeting. Why does this pointless ***** think she is of any importance? She's nothing and the Lib Dems are nothing. 

Did a Lib Dem piss in your coffee or something? This is a weird reaction to the news that a leader of one of the UK's political parties wants to meet the Queen about a matter of national importance on which she has concerns. Care to explain your rabidity?

Why don't the Nipster and Jezzbollah reach out to Boris if they want to avoid no deal?  Just say, okay we want to actually put the country first instead of agendas for once? It is within their power to agree to a deal, no?

25 minutes ago, Cade said:

Queenie says "aye nae bother pal"

The only three Privy councillors at the meeting were Jacob Reese Mogg, the head of the Lords and the Tory chief whip.

This tweet made me laugh

image.png.e9a8f1bd1ba45df2396c322ca2442068.png

annushorribilis III
7 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Why don't the Nipster and Jezzbollah reach out to Boris if they want to avoid no deal?  Just say, okay we want to actually put the country first instead of agendas for once? It is within their power to agree to a deal, no?

Top trolling , bud. 

For the 3rd time - and I notice you never respond to this important point - the "deal" is NOT what Leave campaign asked people to vote on. The deal is the polar opposite  of what Leave said was the objective. If it doesn't meet the objectives of the Leave campaign , why would anyone vote for it ?

PS I thought BJ was getting a new deal from the EU. Assuming he does, how will it get thru parliament if BJ has shut it down? 

Edited by annushorribilis III

The Queen being happy to sign off on this undemocratic abuse of power is exactly what I would expect from someone in an undemocractic position of power.

The ****.

44 minutes ago, Who_put_the_ball_in... said:

Imagine being a EU remoaning Nat and wakening up everyday to the news you are leaving the EU and will still be British 🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧

Imagine waking up in Ulster after the UK crashes out of the EU with no deal. Fun times ahead in Northern Ireland.

6 minutes ago, annushorribilis III said:

Top trolling , bud. 

For the 3rd time - and I notice you never respond to this important point - the "deal" is NOT what Leave campaign asked people to vote on. The deal is the polar opposite  Leave said was the objective. If it doesn't meet the objectives of the Leave campaign , why would anyone vote for it ?

PS I thought BJ was getting a new deal from the EU. Assuming he does, how will it get thru parliament if BJ has shut it down? 

Unlike ideologues and agenda driven subversives like Nipster and Jezzbollah, I view politics as a practical and pragmatic business and that means compromises. To quote Mick n Keef, You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need. 

Edited by JackLadd

annushorribilis III
4 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Unlike ideologues and agenda driven subversives like Nipster and Jezzbollah, I view politics as a practical and pragmatic business and that means compromises. To quote Mick n Keef, You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need. 

You're just trolling - another word salad that skirts avoids the fundamental question of why the "deal" is being voted down. 

Still refusing to acknowledge Leave campaign are not delivering what they campaigned on/lied about pre ref  but critical of others who don't blindly support that "deal". Idealogue? Defo. 

'Bye. 

Edited by annushorribilis III

4 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

The Queen being happy to sign off on this undemocratic abuse of power is exactly what I would expect from someone in an undemocractic position of power.

The ****.

:rofl: 

You know what, I shouldn't laugh - what a complete and utter shambles. 

kingantti1874
9 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Imagine waking up in Ulster after the UK crashes out of the EU with no deal. Fun times ahead in Northern Ireland.

the only silver lining to brexit will be Sitting back watching the economic and social destruction in the areas that passed this.. turkeys who voted for Christmas.

me I was Pro Scotland and happy with our place in the union and Europe.  Seems that  is no longer an option. I can’t believe that I’m saying this but I will be voting SNP, the union is no longer viable.

AlphonseCapone
33 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Did a Lib Dem piss in your coffee or something? This is a weird reaction to the news that a leader of one of the UK's political parties wants to meet the Queen about a matter of national importance on which she has concerns. Care to explain your rabidity?

Never met a Lib Dem, not convinced they even exist, never mind one pissing in my coffee. 

Jo Swinson is a horrible ***** who happily cuddled up with the Tories during the coalition, check her voting record, and now she likes to act as though her shit don't stink? 

Jo Swinson and the Lib Dems are nothing. She's in charge of a party that fields candidates across the entire breadth of Britain and has 4 more seats than the DUP who only stand in the Northern Ireland and just over a third of the SNP who only stand in Scotland. And she's been running around for weeks acting the big shot and now wants to meet the Queen? Away she goes.

3 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Never met a Lib Dem, not convinced they even exist, never mind one pissing in my coffee. 

Jo Swinson is a horrible ***** who happily cuddled up with the Tories during the coalition, check her voting record, and now she likes to act as though her shit don't stink? 

Jo Swinson and the Lib Dems are nothing. She's in charge of a party that fields candidates across the entire breadth of Britain and has 4 more seats than the DUP who only stand in the Northern Ireland and just over a third of the SNP who only stand in Scotland. And she's been running around for weeks acting the big shot and now wants to meet the Queen? Away she goes.

You'll have met loads of them, as you are no doubt well aware. :)

Seriously, I still don't understand your vehement reaction, even given your dislike of her voting position, and why you are extending it to the whole party. I've come up with some possible explanations:

. You or someone you know had a run-in with Jo Swinson, a pretty traumatic one I imagine. Pissing in your coffee has obviously been ruled out.

. You or someone you know had a run-in with a Lib Dem supporter/representative and you're transferring your hatred as a result to Jo Swinson.

.You're an avid supporter of another party and are perhaps nervous that the Lib Dem rise in the polls might adversely affect your party.

Otherwise, the hatred in your comments are pretty much inexplicable. I mean I detest the Tory party and the right-wing parties for example, but even then I wouldn't write something like "Why does this pointless ***** think he/she is of any importance? He/she's nothing and the <insert party here> are nothing." about any of the party leaders. I would be under-estimating the enemy for one thing. It would also sound as if I were making a desperate plea for that to be the case rather than actually believing it to be true.

LibDems are sleekit bawbags.

Reneged on the abolition of student fees, even though they had a large youth following in the 2010 election.

Enabled austerity, in exchange for pish-weak policies of their own being put on the agenda in return.

Sold Royal Mail for less than half of it was worth, despite being told so.

They were given a chance in government and made a complete tit of it.

They've now returned to their natural place of the centerist party of protest, when you don't want to vote either Tory or Labour.

Happy to bump their gums and get 20-odd MPs each time we have a General Election.

AlphonseCapone
3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

You'll have met loads of them, as you are no doubt well aware. :)

Seriously, I still don't understand your vehement reaction, even given your dislike of her voting position, and why you are extending it to the whole party. I've come up with some possible explanations:

. You or someone you know had a run-in with Jo Swinson, a pretty traumatic one I imagine. Pissing in your coffee has obviously been ruled out.

. You or someone you know had a run-in with a Lib Dem supporter/representative and you're transferring your hatred as a result to Jo Swinson.

.You're an avid supporter of another party and are perhaps nervous that the Lib Dem rise in the polls might adversely affect your party.

Otherwise, the hatred in your comments are pretty much inexplicable. I mean I detest the Tory party and the right-wing parties for example, but even then I wouldn't write something like "Why does this pointless ***** think he/she is of any importance? He/she's nothing and the <insert party here> are nothing." about any of the party leaders. I would be under-estimating the enemy for one thing. It would also sound as if I were making a desperate plea for that to be the case rather than actually believing it to be true.

This is awkward. You're obviously a Lib Dem fan and I'm sorry I slagged your party. Don't take it personally. I just think they absolutely sold their soul during the coalition, the only time they've had a snippet of power, and some folk buy their bullshit today. Short memories. 

I'm not a supporter of any particular party. I vote for parties at elections and that's it. I think people who join parties or subscribe to only one party are weirdos. Politics should never be treated like a football team. And I've never met Jo Swinson thankfully, and I don't know anyone that has. Wouldn't want to get swallowed up in the Jo Swinson black hole of self-importance. 

You'll need to come up with some other explanations. I would suggest Occam's razor though; Jo Swinson is actually a pointless *****. 

AlphonseCapone
3 minutes ago, Cade said:

Reneged on the abolition of student fees, even though they had a large youth following in the 2010 election.

Enabled austerity, in exchange for pish-weak policies of their own being put on the agenda in return.

They've now returned to their natural place of the centerist party of protest, when you don't want to vote either Tory or Labour.

Happy to bump their gums and get 20-odd MPs each time we have a General Election.

Correct. It's simple stuff. And Jo Swinson was all part of it. 

Unknown user
8 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

This is awkward. You're obviously a Lib Dem fan and I'm sorry I slagged your party. Don't take it personally. I just think they absolutely sold their soul during the coalition, the only time they've had a snippet of power, and some folk buy their bullshit today. Short memories. 

I'm not a supporter of any particular party. I vote for parties at elections and that's it. I think people who join parties or subscribe to only one party are weirdos. Politics should never be treated like a football team. And I've never met Jo Swinson thankfully, and I don't know anyone that has. Wouldn't want to get swallowed up in the Jo Swinson black hole of self-importance. 

You'll need to come up with some other explanations. I would suggest Occam's razor though; Jo Swinson is actually a pointless *****. 

Generally correct, but especially the bit in bold

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

The ****.

Yes hopefully the boot and the rest of the scroungers she has around her will face a backlash.  

JudyJudyJudy
16 minutes ago, Cade said:

Perfect summary. Well said

10 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

There's no awkwardness involved (as if there would be. ;)). I'm a member of no party. The only constant in my voting history is that I've never voted Tory or for any other right-wing party. On some issues, I'm centrist, on others I'm centre-left, and on others I'm left of Lenin, so I suppose there is some overlap with the Lib Dems, along with the Greens, Labour and the SNP. And I was furious with the Lib Dems for getting into bed with the Tories for their wee shot at power and then "over-compromising" on their electoral promises and values (let's be nice to them and express it like that) - they were treated like fools by the Tories and were indeed fools for letting themselves get treated like that. But, that's in the past now and hopefully they've learned their lesson (I try not to bear too many grudges in life).

I'm out of explanations (well, even slightly feasible ones), sorry. I hope you never meet her in the street though!

14 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Probably the end of the Monarchy, now. 

About ****ing time.

The People’s Republic of Scotland sounds good. 👍🏼

13 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Probably the end of the Monarchy, now. 

Hopefully. Although I've never really been a strong anti-royalist, the only real purpose they appear to fulfil now is in attracting tourists, and that will continue whether they carry on serving as monarchs or not. I'd rather just move to having a President like the Irish do.

2 hours ago, Who_put_the_ball_in... said:

Imagine being a EU remoaning Nat and wakening up everyday to the news you are leaving the EU and will still be British 🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧

If you’re from N.Ireland, yer no British, yer Irish. Unlucky. 

AlphonseCapone
9 minutes ago, redjambo said:

There's no awkwardness involved (as if there would be. ;)). I'm a member of no party. The only constant in my voting history is that I've never voted Tory or for any other right-wing party. On some issues, I'm centrist, on others I'm centre-left, and on others I'm left of Lenin, so I suppose there is some overlap with the Lib Dems, along with the Greens, Labour and the SNP. And I was furious with the Lib Dems for getting into bed with the Tories for their wee shot at power and then "over-compromising" on their electoral promises and values (let's be nice to them and express it like that) - they were treated like fools by the Tories and were indeed fools for letting themselves get treated like that. But, that's in the past now and hopefully they've learned their lesson (I try not to bear too many grudges in life).

I'm out of explanations (well, even slightly feasible ones), sorry. I hope you never meet her in the street though!

Behave mate. 

6 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Hopefully. Although I've never really been a strong anti-royalist, the only real purpose they appear to fulfil now is in attracting tourists, and that will continue whether they carry on serving as monarchs or not. I'd rather just move to having a President like the Irish do.

I don't really take notice. But it's a bit sad, all this worshipping of Monarchs. 

A quick question? Are the Queen and the  whole of her direct family, immune from prosecution. Prince Andrew for example.

2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I don't really take notice. But it's a bit sad, all this worshipping of Monarchs. 

A quick question? Are the Queen and the  whole of her direct family, immune from prosecution. Prince Andrew for example.

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_immunity#United_Kingdom :

"The monarch is immune from arrest in all cases; members of the royal household are immune from arrest in civil proceedings. No arrest can be made "in the monarch's presence", or within the "verges" of a royal palace. When a royal palace is used as a residence (regardless of whether the monarch is actually living there at the time), judicial processes cannot be executed within that palace.The monarch's goods cannot be taken under a writ of execution, nor can distress be levied on land in their possession. Chattels owned by the Crown, but present on another's land, cannot be taken in execution or for distress. The Crown is not subject to foreclosure."

So, Andrew can be arrested and criminally prosecuted in the UK, but not if he stays inside or near one of the royal residences or sticks next to Mum. That's the way I read it anyway.

2 minutes ago, Cade said:

No longer able to defend the indefensible.

Tbf At least she had the baws to say enough is enough. Unlike Fluffy who had to be sacked. 

5 minutes ago, redjambo said:

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_immunity#United_Kingdom :

"The monarch is immune from arrest in all cases; members of the royal household are immune from arrest in civil proceedings. No arrest can be made "in the monarch's presence", or within the "verges" of a royal palace. When a royal palace is used as a residence (regardless of whether the monarch is actually living there at the time), judicial processes cannot be executed within that palace.The monarch's goods cannot be taken under a writ of execution, nor can distress be levied on land in their possession. Chattels owned by the Crown, but present on another's land, cannot be taken in execution or for distress. The Crown is not subject to foreclosure."

So, Andrew can be arrested and criminally prosecuted in the UK, but not if he stays inside or near one of the royal residences or sticks next to Mum. That's the way I read it anyway.

👍

1 minute ago, maroonlegions said:

:greggy:  Knew she was just full of hot air.

See ya.

safe_image.png

Announcement tomorrow. Not definite, yet.

11 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Rooth the Mooths quit :rofl:

"On verge of quitting" according to https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-49502861.

• davemclaren changed the title to Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )