***Potential signings/Transfer rumours Thread***

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

From his wiki page, after converting to feet, he's 6ft. Might be good foil for Isma this Stockton kid. 

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
heartmussel

Whipping boy when things go wrong,some of the comments suggest,very divided opinions down south regarding his performances.Take it end of any Moult or Boyce interest if true.

RustyRightPeg

Cole Stockton I'm told we are being linked with. 23 year old striker who doesn't score many goals at a low level.

18 in 45 last season is a decent return, just under 1 in 2. Combine that with Isma, I'd be happy with that as a front 2, subject to them getting on of course!

This is exactly the type of player we need to go after IMO.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

A Chesterfield target? These are not exciting signings, not likely to challenge St Johnstone. I would imagine any player signed now has to be brave on the ball, coming from those levels, less likely?

A Chesterfield target? These are not exciting signings, not likely to challenge St Johnstone. I would imagine any player signed now has to be brave on the ball, coming from those levels, less likely?

You haven't even seen him play but already he's not good enough if we're to challenge the saints.

It's gonna be a long summer on here that's for sure.

No offence BTW. I like you as a poster.

I'd be happy with this kind of signing, no fee involved, young lad, ambitious and hungry.

Could be an absolute gem.

vegas-voss

Where do guys think Moult and Boyce came from they are lower level who have come in and done a job in the SPFL.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

I have full belief this boy will catapult us into the upper echoes of Scottish football. :wub:

Cathro will get the best out off him...

I'd be happy with this kind of signing, no fee involved, young lad, ambitious and hungry.

correct

jamboinglasgow

Could be a player who has come to our attention through the new statistical analysis levein mentioned. A player who can be overlooked by many due to the league he is in or other reasons.

Of course he could be awful. But I will wait to see if he signs first and then how he plays before judging.

We_are_the_Hearts

Could be a player who has come to our attention through the new statistical analysis levein mentioned. A player who can be overlooked by many due to the league he is in or other reasons.

Of course he could be awful. But I will wait to see if he signs first and then how he plays before judging.

This statistical analysis is worrying. The best tool for buying a player is your eyes. I have no faith in the current set up to get this right

Absolutely correct, some on here want us to go out and sign players who are going to cost hundreds of thousands!!

There are bargains to be had if you look

Five to One

Anyone else getting good vibes about this window? The targets we're looking at and Levein's comments seem to suggest we've learnt from past mistakes and going to be more prudent in the transfer market. 

GorgieRules22

His goal scoring ratio suggests not.

Absolutely correct, some on here want us to go out and sign players who are going to cost hundreds of thousands!!

There are bargains to be had if you look

There has always been bargains around the lower leagues but our DOF has previously said that he does not scout for players in the UK other than youth players because they are too expensive.

Utter nonsense, did he forget that we signed him from Cowdenbeath!!!

If our finances permit then there is nothing wrong with paying a fee for a decent player or would you rather we wasted it on paying duds like Oshaniwa, Sammon, Reilly etc to not play for us.

He may have decided differently now after he said they had to review their transfer policy

This statistical analysis is worrying. The best tool for buying a player is your eyes. I have no faith in the current set up to get this right

Been used in all different sports. Why not use it in football? Stats will be used to supplement watching players. 

Anyone else getting good vibes about this window? The targets we're looking at and Levein's comments seem to suggest we've learnt from past mistakes and going to be more prudent in the transfer market. 

I'm a big fan of daytime drinking myself...

Ash Taylor came from Tranmere. Many would think he's just a big huddy but McInnes thinks him good enough to have picked him in 100 games for the Aberdeen. There are decent players to be had in the lower levels down south, sometimes they work out, sometimes not. If there is any truth in this it would seem like a pretty low risk gamble.

There has always been bargains around the lower leagues but our DOF has previously said that he does not scout for players in the UK other than youth players because they are too expensive.

Utter nonsense, did he forget that we signed him from Cowdenbeath!!!

If our finances permit then there is nothing wrong with paying a fee for a decent player or would you rather we wasted it on paying duds like Oshaniwa, Sammon, Reilly etc to not play for us.

He may have decided differently now after he said they had to review their transfer policy

Paying a fee doesn't guarantee you're getting a decent player it's purely the fact they're still in contract, Kenny Anderson for example

Maroonblood22

I'm genuinely not sure what targets folk think we can realistically sign. We all want top young talent and proven consistent performers but we simply can't afford that, no teams outwith those ***** from the west can.

Aberdeen have established a strong and consistent team based on players from ICT, St. Mirren, Oldham etc. yet we're scoffing at exactly the same approach? Should we be going for Nigerian World Cup star's again?

If we can start to form a strong core with the like of Berra, Hughes, Souttar, Cowie and Isma then we should be capable of supplementing the team with a mixture of academy players and 'take a punt' players like Stockton and Mark Russell.

It's a better approach than the ****ing shambles we've had the last few windows!

Hah funny I was thinking we should look at the guy from Tranmere...sadly, it was Norwood I was thinking of, the one who scores all their goals.

hmfc_liam06

We sign someone from abroad and it's "we should be looking at the lower leagues in England, Aberdeen, Motherwell etc have had success with this".

We're linked with a boy from the lower leagues in England and it's "is this really the level we are aiming at?".

JKB in a nutshell right there.

Paying a fee doesn't guarantee you're getting a decent player it's purely the fact they're still in contract, Kenny Anderson for example

Souttar, Goncalves.

Siphiwe Tshabalala

People writing off a player because he plays in the National League, madness.

Some have genuinely no idea whatsoever. I will leave it at that.

BelgeJambo

People writing off a player because he plays in the National League, madness.

Some have genuinely no idea whatsoever. I will leave it at that.

Jamie Vardy

RustyRightPeg

We sign someone from abroad and it's "we should be looking at the lower leagues in England, Aberdeen, Motherwell etc have had success with this".

We're linked with a boy from the lower leagues in England and it's "is this really the level we are aiming at?".

JKB in a nutshell right there.

It's embarrassing tbf. We write people off at the sight of their name and a past record.

DxB Hearts

I like the way this window is shaping up to be honest - looking at guys that know British football shows we've learned from our recent mistakes. If he signs I'm sure he's been scouted properly, along with that statistical stuff.

The best of the youngsters from the lower leagues, few experienced pros and maybe one or two foreign imports and I'm very happy. That balance has been all wrong recently.

Still a long way to go but there's a glimmer of excitment for this new team from me.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Jamtarts-1874

The League one in England is a far far lower standard than the SPL so I have to say Iam worried by most of the players we have been linked with

Is Levein Derren Brown? Mentions avenues of recruitment that have been used by other clubs for years and people are soiling themselves. This is before anyone has actually been signed!

Meanwhile in the background our best player is being sold and the worst manager in our history is still in place.

I'm pretty sure moult dropped down to non-league and most folk would be happy with him

vegas-voss

The League one in England is a far far lower standard than the SPL so I have to say Iam worried by most of the players we have been linked with

Moult came from Wrexham and looks great in the Spfl

It's really not. Particularly the top end.

rudi must stay

Hard to be excited about him signing. Looks decent but not a special talent like Isma could be, hopefully not true this one

How much League One football have you watched live?

Your struggling now having to dredge back that far.

Beslija, Reilly there are loads. Fees dont guarantee a good player. Same as frees don't guarantee a crap player.

Bazzas right boot

That it, there is a mix.

Some massive flops, some decent players.

Jamtarts-1874

How much League One football have you watched live?

Just using common sense really. The average wages in the SPL are a decent bit higher not to mention the exposure of being in a top devision (Europe etc).

The League one in England is absolutely country miles behind the championship in England, which I don't think some people realise.

Jamtarts-1874

It really is. If you want to go top end the gap gets even bigger with Celtic

socrates82

Just using common sense really. The average wages in the SPL are a decent bit higher not to mention the exposure of being in a top devision (Europe etc).

The League one in England is absolutely country miles behind the championship in England, which I don't think some people realise.

Take Celtic out of the equation and League One wages are well in excess of the SPL. I remember Andy Kirk joining Boston in League Two way back and trebling his wages, and that's when we were paying decent wages and before England really exploded. The money in English football really is crazy. Lots of team owners in the Championship and below investing to try to get access to the EPL money tree.

vegas-voss

Average wage in League 1 is higher than the SPFL when you take Rangers and Celtic out of our league at about ?2.5k a week.St Johnstone average is about ?900 a week

I will ask you again. How much League One football have you seen live to pass your judgement?

Also regarding your comment about the wages being higher in the SPL. I would think this would be incorrect once you take the septic twins out of the reckoning.

League One is not a country mile behind the Championship. Barnsley did ok this year didn't they? Burton Albion survived on a tiny budget and im fairly sure Sheffield Utd will challenge in the top half.

Morgaro Gomis

So without knowing anything about it, you are able to state its miles behind?

You could be right, I wouldn't know as I don't know much about it so can't say one way or the other...

Jamtarts-1874

Average wage in League 1 is higher than the SPFL when you take Rangers and Celtic out of our league at about ?2.5k a week.St Johnstone average is about ?900 a week

A big if there though what if you take the 2 highest paying teams out of league one. Plus rangers are paying nowhere close to what they normally pay anyway.

The chance of European football and being in the top flight will also have an impact on where players go.

So again Iam not saying league one players are guaranteed to be bad but I do feel in general the level is quite a bit lower.

Nope.  I watch a lot of league 1 games and it's about the same standard as the SPL.

Archived