***Potential signings/Transfer rumours Thread***

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Jamtarts-1874

Nope. I watch a lot of league 1 games and it's about the same standard as the SPL.

Well I would say many championship games are worse standard than SPFL games so it's not a fair measurement.

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just using common sense really. The average wages in the SPL are a decent bit higher not to mention the exposure of being in a top devision (Europe etc).

The League one in England is absolutely country miles behind the championship in England, which I don't think some people realise.

So you've not actually seen very much then?  

Kickback at its best there.

Well I would say many championship games are worse standard than SPFL games so it's not a fair measurement.

Christ, have you ever watched *any* football? :)

vegas-voss

A big if there though what if you take the 2 highest paying teams out of league one. Plus rangers are paying nowhere close to what they normally pay anyway.

The chance of European football and being in the top flight will also have an impact on where players go.

So again Iam not saying league one players are guaranteed to be bad but I do feel in general the level is quite a bit lower.

Rangers are still paying an average of ?7k a week

vegas-voss

SPFL is largely guff to watch I expect League 1 will be similar.Spfl is really hot potato stuff at times

No. A family member of mines works at the hotel he was staying at last night. Really not that bothered about being 'in the know' just passing on what I was told.

Gives the name of the hotel I will nip down and make sure he is indeed there....i'll need a room number to confirm???

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

rudi must stay

Gives the name of the hotel I will nip down and make sure he is indeed there....i'll need a room number to confirm???

Room 10

Jamtarts-1874

So you've not actually seen very much then?

Kickback at its best there.

Yep just like I know La liga is better than the serie B without watching much Italian football

gorgieheart

Can we get back on "TOPIC!

Abu Ogogo is somebody we have looked at  !

:offtopic:  

Abu Ogogo is somebody we have looked at !

wake me up when we get back on topic

Jamtarts-1874

Rangers are still paying an average of ?7k a week

Not saying they pay small wages but there wage bill is around half what it was before admin.

Wake you up before you...Ogogo...?

I'm leaving now.

on a jet plane?

gorgieheart

on a jet plane?

Will he be back again ? 

Horatio Caine

Room 101...  best place for most of the content on this thread

Jambof3tornado

This statistical analysis is worrying. The best tool for buying a player is your eyes. I have no faith in the current set up to get this right

But how much does it cost to send somebody to watch a player 5 to 10 times to decide somebody is right??

Interesting, signed a 1yr contract extension recently which runs out next summer.

Ryan Jarman

Abu Ogogo is somebody we have looked at  !

'In May 2010, he was sentenced to eight month's imprisonment, suspended for eighteen months and ordered to perform 120 hours of unpaid community service, after pleading guilty to inflicting grievous bodily harm and actual bodily harm in an assault in Croydon in August 2008.'

Special guest referee for JKB Wheatfield stand paggers? 

menstrie1874

And still lookingat or passed on him?

RustyRightPeg

Just using common sense really. The average wages in the SPL are a decent bit higher not to mention the exposure of being in a top devision (Europe etc).

The League one in England is absolutely country miles behind the championship in England, which I don't think some people realise.

Disagree. Wages down there will be higher than the wages we pay.

The English game in general is funded so much better than the Scottish game, with TV rights and parachute money coming down from the Prem.

hearts-will-sell-jamie-walker-to-highest-bidder-1-4461292

Levein stated that another five or six new recruits are necessary to add to the return of Christophe Berra. The plan is to bring in players with more of a Scottish or British background. ?Yeah, there?s an element of that. Scottish or British is what we?re looking to do. How many? Five or six players, something like that,? said Levein.

gorgieheart

Interesting, signed a 1yr contract extension recently which runs out next summer.

Didnt say "When"  we had looked at him   :-)

DxB Hearts

hearts-will-sell-jamie-walker-to-highest-bidder-1-4461292

Levein stated that another five or six new recruits are necessary to add to the return of Christophe Berra. The plan is to bring in players with more of a Scottish or British background. ?Yeah, there?s an element of that. Scottish or British is what we?re looking to do. How many? Five or six players, something like that,? said Levein.

Does 5 or 6 not still leave us massively short if anyone else leaves?

They'll need to be 5 or 6 starters and we must have very high hopes that Smith, Beith, Curry and Brandon will be able to play much bigger parts than they have.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Didnt say "When" we had looked at him :-)

Attention seeking on a lovely summers' day. How tragic.

Does 5 or 6 not still leave us massively short if anyone else leaves?

They'll need to be 5 or 6 starters and we must have very high hopes that Smith, Beith, Curry and Brandon will be able to play much bigger parts than they have.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

We could need more than 5-6 however the 4 you've mentioned look promising to me anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elias Henry Furst

5/6 quality first teamers is about bang on.

Rid the squad of the dross, give us a decent 11 or 13 and fill the squad with hungry laddies.

BelgeJambo

Let's face it, we are all second guessing who is coming in - I am happy that the club will have identified targets and are keeping their cards close to their chest. And more particular, trying to keep the Weegie Press out of the loop

Season has only just finished, players on holiday and transfer window is a week away from opening

Seriously though what hotel is he in? I'll go down there right now and get this confirmed

Siphiwe Tshabalala

League One pishes all over the SPFL.

I could name about 2 squads of players that would improve us. And not just players from League One.

Stick to what you know chaps.

I will ask you again. How much League One football have you seen live to pass your judgement?

Also regarding your comment about the wages being higher in the SPL. I would think this would be incorrect once you take the septic twins out of the reckoning.

League One is not a country mile behind the Championship. Barnsley did ok this year didn't they? Burton Albion survived on a tiny budget and im fairly sure Sheffield Utd will challenge in the top half.

Agreed. Wages in League One are very close to SPL if not higher if OF are excluded. Guys like Jamie Ness knocked back Rangers to sign for Scunthorpe. Strong rumours that Waghorns next stop will be Scunthorpe as well. Ian Black has been earning more in League 1/2/National League than he was offered to stay in Scotland. Anyone wanting proof just needs to Google Scottish players down there to see that level and pay is likely on a par with up here and the opportunities to progress are better from down there than an SPL club up here.

I could name about 2 squads of players that would improve us. And not just players from League One.

No it doesn't. The top of League One and the bottom end of the Championship are on a par with our level of players.

There are of course players in those teams that would improve us.

English football is vastly overrated

This doesn't mean that you can't find individuals in lower leagues that will do well up here

Scottish football is pish but look at Fletcher, Snodgrass, McArthur, McCarthy, Andy Robertson etc

I kind of fear for kimosavi and others' safety this summer.

Open your window I've been tapping for ages

kingantti1874

English football is vastly overrated

This doesn't mean that you can't find individuals in lower leagues that will do well up here

Scottish football is pish but look at Fletcher, Snodgrass, McArthur, McCarthy, Andy Robertson etc

It's not overrated in the Context of aScottish football comparison.. Aberdeen aside I don't think we'd have a team currently who could survive in the championship..

Jamtarts-1874

Yet the champions of the Prem couldn't beat the SPFL champions at two attempts...

The 3rd devision of English football pishes on the SPFL right enough though lol.

Jamtarts-1874

It's not overrated in the Context of aScottish football comparison.. Aberdeen aside I don't think we'd have a team currently who could survive in the championship..

What makes you think that though? Even English Prem sides have looked average in Europe for a number of years now and there is less money in the lower leagues now.

Man City with a 100% record in the Prem couldn't beat Celtic home or away

Seriously though what hotel is he in? I'll go down there right now and get this confirmed

You're some boy !  :mmtaxi:

You're some boy ! :mmtaxi:

Im ready to go at a seconds notice

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

kingantti1874

What makes you think that though? Even English Prem sides have looked average in Europe for a number of years now and there is less money in the lower leagues now.

Man City with a 100% record in the Prem couldn't beat Celtic home or away

look at the Aston villa squads for example.. 13th in champ.. We wouldn't get a player anywhere near their squad.

waynefozzie

I've no rumours to contribute, I'm afraid, but everything suggests we're looking at good British laddies. I hope fans will remember that this is the approach they asked for. Everyone knows the British market is inflated, so the players we can afford won't be great. I think we'll get a solid workmanlike squad who'll perform roughly equivalent to our chance/budget standard; i.e third to sixth. Even the lower end of that projection - fifth or sixth - isnt awful given the development our club is going through off the park. But I will be pissed off if folk are moaning that we have a mid-league squad of British journeymen, when that's what everyone is basically demanding after we failed with the attempt to buy better foreign players.

Nothing from Hearts today

A lot of contracts will end as of midnight tonight. I suspect we might see something tomorrow but defo not in the know!

I've no rumours to contribute, I'm afraid, but everything suggests we're looking at good British laddies. I hope fans will remember that this is the approach they asked for. Everyone knows the British market is inflated, so the players we can afford won't be great. I think we'll get a solid workmanlike squad who'll perform roughly equivalent to our chance/budget standard; i.e third to sixth. Even the lower end of that projection - fifth or sixth - isnt awful given the development our club is going through off the park. But I will be pissed off if folk are moaning that we have a mid-league squad of British journeymen, when that's what everyone is basically demanding after we failed with the attempt to buy better foreign players.

After the latter half of this season i think most fans would just be glad to see a bit effort and application

Pans Jambo

I cant remember asking for middle of the road British journeymen or wanting to finish fifth or sixth. Most folk asked for players that reflect the third biggest team in this country should be able to afford. Player who put in a shift and play for the jersey and each other. NOT the likes of the journeymen we signed in January.

Are we signing Jamie Hamill again???

waynefozzie

I cant remember asking for middle of the road British journeymen or wanting to finish fifth or sixth. Most folk asked for players that reflect the third biggest team in this country should be able to afford. Player who put in a shift and play for the jersey and each other. NOT the likes of the journeymen we signed in January.

Are we signing Jamie Hamill again???

I know mate - not trying to start a fight or anything. We're all pissed off how things went this season. But, just now, financially speaking we're not the third biggest club in Scotland. We're paying less than the sheep and Sevco. And we're paying much less than Championship teams in England. So the home-based players available to us are - excluding exceptional circumstances such as happened with Berra - basically those that other teams don't want. Now, for sure, we can do better than the surrender monkeys that flopped against the wee team - we should, IMO, be able to recruit a slightly better squad than they have. But we're recruiting from the players that teams we'd like to compete with don't think are good enough. There are much better footballers available for much less overseas. But thats a gamble. Obviously, given how much that approach ****** up in January, our fans and management want to play things more conservatively, and I'm not saying that's wrong. But let's not then be complaining that we have only a decent mid-table squad.

Captain Canada

I've been to league one games in England. In one of them Jason Holt was the best player on the pitch by a mile.

That was two teams in the play-off positions as well. It's no better than our top flight from what I've seen.

We always want to put our game down but guys like Barton and Tziolis who have played at the top level in different countries looked ordinary.

Archived