Indy Ref Part Deux

Armageddon

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SwindonJambo

Do YOU work in the oil industry?

No I don't but I do know that the the low oil price(which is artificially propped up at its current $50 a barrel), the expense of extracting offshore and the poor taxation arrangements will make relatively little difference.

Anyway, oil will run out one day. What will we sell then?

SwindonJambo

"Lets take back control"....they all cried on the Eurosceptic side of the English right wing.

And let the German multi nationals dictate our future. What an utter waste of time and hypocrisy.

The German multi nationals are an extremely powerful lobbying group in the German Parliament. They will apply massive pressure on their own government to broker a workable deal as hundreds of thousands of German jobs depend on it.

I have no time for UKIP btw.

Nookie Bear

"Lets take back control"....they all cried on the Eurosceptic side of the English right wing.

And let the German multi nationals dictate our future. What an utter waste of time and hypocrisy.

But we are where we are and no amount of anger will reverse that Brexit vote.

We have to get past the recriminations and move forward the best we can.

Of course, a horrendous Brexit is good news for the SNP so not sure how you want this to play out.

Space Mackerel

The German multi nationals are an extremely powerful lobbying group in the German Parliament. They will apply massive pressure on their own government to broker a workable deal as hundreds of thousands of German jobs depend on it.

I have no time for UKIP btw.

The German multi nationals are wanting a deal that's going to give:

a) the best deal for themselves, workers and profits.

or

B) they need jars of English jam and marmalade.

No I don't but I do know that the the low oil price(which is artificially propped up at its current $50 a barrel), the expense of extracting offshore and the poor taxation arrangements will make relatively little difference.

Anyway, oil will run out one day. What will we sell then?

http://www.offshorewind.biz/2016/11/09/renewableuk-new-cfd-round-good-news-for-offshore-wind-and-british-industry/

http://www.westernhvdclink.co.uk/marine-cable.aspx

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/record-whisky-sales-to-india-leads-global-demand

http://www.scotlandis.com/news/2017/february/strong-growth-in-scotland-s-tech-sector-paves-way-for-new-industry-award/

BTW, regardless of what side of the Indy argument you are on, this is a disgrace! Scottish/UK oil is being sold cheaply and the people of Scotland/UK are being ripped off.

I would like to think that an Indy Scotland would reverse this and pronto as Westminster is blatantly clueless.

Yet another reason to laugh at the Yoons.

Space Mackerel

BTW, regardless of what side of the Indy argument you are on, this is a disgrace! Scottish/UK oil is being sold cheaply and the people of Scotland/UK are being ripped off.

I would like to think that an Indy Scotland would reverse this and pronto as Westminster is blatantly clueless.

Yet another reason to laugh at the Yoons.

Tax breaks to their mates who pay into their party coffers and support their views in the MSM, that Ian Wood springs to mind.

Remember, auld Liz is a major shareholder in BP, as are the Dutch Royal family in Shell.

Malinga the Swinga

Surprised this thread still on the go as our PM has, quite rightly, deferred referendum until after Brexit is complete. Although she knows the status quo would have won, she has put the good of the country before her own parties position, which I am sure even the most ardent Nationalists must admire. If only their leader could do the same but she and her leadership team remain blinkered by independence and refuse to govern on health, education, transport and the other vital topics of government.

SwindonJambo

The German multi nationals are wanting a deal that's going to give:

a) the best deal for themselves, workers and profits.

or

B) they need jars of English jam and marmalade.

Eh! And your point is caller......

Space Mackerel

Eh! And your point is caller......

What makes you think you are going to get a super massive special deal that's going to benefit the U.K. when we have practically nothing to export to them that they need or want?

They're already getting what they want, all the UK's financial sector are ****ing off to Berlin and Dublin [emoji23]

Tax breaks to their mates who pay into their party coffers and support their views in the MSM, that Ian Wood springs to mind.

Remember, auld Liz is a major shareholder in BP, as are the Dutch Royal family in Shell.

Its being largely ignored on here too. Funny that.

Space Mackerel

They're just into Maggie May sound bites the now, it's all they've got.

She looked awfy nervous, stammering a few of her words on the news there too. The Yoons never mentioned that. :)

Surprised this thread still on the go as our PM has, quite rightly, deferred referendum until after Brexit is complete. Although she knows the status quo would have won, she has put the good of ENGLAND before her own parties position, which I am sure even the most ardent Nationalists must admire. If only their leader could do the same but she and her leadership team remain blinkered by independence and refuse to govern on health, education, transport and the other vital topics of government.

Fixed it for you.

Nookie Bear

What makes you think you are going to get a super massive special deal that's going to benefit the U.K. when we have practically nothing to export to them that they need or want?

They're already getting what they want, all the UK's financial sector are ******* off to Berlin and Dublin [emoji23]

Is that funny?

SwindonJambo

We're the 2nd biggest economy in Europe so we must be doing something right. We are a value added economy.

For the 2nd time, I did NOT say that we would get a super massive special deal and we Won't. We'll get a WORKABLE compromise deal, not as good as being still in the EU but something will be worked out. Europe is not the whole World. 400 million in festering, declining Europe, rest of World 6.5 billion. We do less than 50% of our trade with the EU btw.

We'll have slower growth to start with then speed up again later as we adapt to our new environment. I'm braced for that.

Space Mackerel

We're the 2nd biggest economy in Europe so we must be doing something right. We are a value added economy.

For the 2nd time, I did NOT say that we would get a super massive special deal and we Won't. We'll get a WORKABLE compromise deal, not as good as being still in the EU but something will be worked out. Europe is not the whole World. 400 million in festering, declining Europe, rest of World 6.5 billion. We do less than 50% of our trade with the EU btw.

We'll have slower growth to start with then speed up again later as we adapt to our new environment. I'm braced for that.

You should apply that logic to the Scottish independence arguments then and support it if it's all about economics.

Space Mackerel

Funny ha ha

Funny, all the service jobs are moving abroad under a hard Brexit, pishes all over Maggie, Boris and Davies chips.

Mind you, they're all multi millionaires so why do they care anyway?

SwindonJambo

You should apply that logic to the Scottish independence arguments then and support it if it's all about economics.

I would do if it happened and would wish Scotland and those in charge the very best. I am, after all a Scot ,with an undiluted accent too. Let me also repeat I did not support Brexit but In- denial recriminations are pointless. We just have ro make the best of where we now are and if Scotland went independent I'd initially be sad but then hope it turned out for the best.

Space Mackerel

I would do if it happened and would wish Scotland and those in charge the very best. I am, after all a Scot ,with an undiluted accent too. Let me also repeat I did not support Brexit but In- denial recriminations are pointless. We just have ro make the best of where we now are and if Scotland went independent I'd initially be sad but then hope it turned out for the best.

You would be sad if Scotland went independent?

As things stand the now, England and Wales have went independent, are you sad right now? Honest to god, the duplicity in the Yoons beggars belief on here.

Space Mackerel

Here's a pic for them, no doubt the thread will be flooded with comments saying it was the GERS figures what did it and it was NS's fault.

e0b8c42cd18b7576c367b527cbac5176.jpg

SwindonJambo

As things stand the now, England and Wales have went independent, are you sad right now? Honest to god, the duplicity in the Yoons beggars belief on here.

I was actually trying to be conciliatory you fool! If you don't get the result you want, you accept it with dignity and make the best of it! Not curl up in a corner and mourn the end of the World. How the hell have England and Wales gone independent? The EU is not a country!

In the event of independence I'm sure the Scottish leaders of all the Unionist parties would accept the situation and hope for the best too. Not curl up and disappear. What exactly do you want? A 1 party state? Great idea - NOT.

Thunderstruck

If you think that this (and it isn't news) is magically going to go away if your SNP gets full control, you are completely deluded and haven't been paying attention to what they promise (competitive tax regime) or even their actions of the last few weeks when they caved in to big and very profitable businesses on taxation that they do control.

And, of course, it might be easier to criticise if the Scottish Government's own little Merchant Fleet didn't "offshore" its crew subsidiary to save on tax. Not on the same scale as "Big Oil" but it's the principle, is it not.

Maroon Sailor

The nats are praying that the UK gets a bad deal

Strengthens their hand.

Doesn't matter what deal the UK gets the nippy ferret won't be happy

Space Mackerel

I was actually trying to be conciliatory you fool! If you don't get the result you want, you accept it with dignity and make the best of it! Not curl up in a corner and mourn the end of the World. How the hell have England and Wales gone independent? The EU is not a country!

In the event of independence I'm sure the Scottish leaders of all the Unionist parties would accept the situation and hope for the best too. Not curl up and disappear. What exactly do you want? A 1 party state? Great idea - NOT.

See ya. Enjoy your Brexit down South in your wee corner mourning about how it could be so much better.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/hurricane-energy-hails-largest-undeveloped-discovery-of-uk-oil-2017-3?r=US&IR=T

SwindonJambo

See ya. Enjoy your Brexit down South in your wee corner mourning about how it could be so much better. http://uk.businessinsider.com/hurricane-energy-hails-largest-undeveloped-discovery-of-uk-oil-2017-3?r=US&IR=T

I'm not mourning about anything, thanks and it's just fine. And I'm well aware of that oil discovery. Good news for employees and owners of the companies involved. But it's not Saudi Arabia and won't actually go that far in the grand scheme of things. And when it runs out? As the article says, it's 1/5 th of the size of the biggest existing field and though good, not game changingly dramatic.

Space Mackerel

I'm not mourning about anything, thanks and it's just fine. And I'm well aware of that oil discovery. Good news for employees and owners of the companies involved. But it's not Saudi Arabia and won't actually go that far in the grand scheme of things. And when it runs out? As the article says, it's 1/5 th of the size of the biggest existing field and though good, not game changingly dramatic.

A billion barrels of oil at $50 makes $50 billion, care to do the maths take on that regarding tax.

Such a precious precious Union eh?

Break out the old jeely pans down there, zee Germans need something for their morning toast. No idea on the tariffs on a top spec M5 after Brexit though. Inflation and interest rates will be so high they'll only be supplying the 1 series though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thunderstruck

A billion barrels of oil at $50 makes $50 billion, care to do the maths take on that regarding tax.

Break out the old jeely pans down there, zee Germans need something for their morning toast. No idea on the tariffs on a top spec M5 after Brexit though. Inflation and interest rates will be so high they'll only be supplying the 1 series though.

Obviously, you didn't scan the WSJ report linked earlier. A shame as there was plenty of pictures in it and you do seem to like your pictures. You might get a better picture of the real tax rate from that.

You might also want to read up on "economically recoverable" v "reservoir capacity".

jack D and coke

Genuine question.

Why did the UK treasury give Shell an ?81m tax break but the same company paid ?2.7Bn in tax to Norway (& ?377Million in tax to Denmark)?

Is Westminster just shit?

I read the other day 400k barrels of oil per day come ashore into Scotland and we (for sake of argument the British government make plums) yet Norway made ?12 billion pounds last year for prett much the same amount of oil extracted.

I think it's fair to say WM is either really at it or seriously shite.

SwindonJambo

My Arithmetic is fine thanks . Maths too :) You do realise that production, equipment and Labour Costs have to be deducted from that $50bn? Income tax will be deducted from the Labour but once it's all whittled down, spread across several years, it's not really that much.

Perfectly happy without M5s being shipped in. It'll help with balance of Payments. We can just buy Hondas instead (made in Swindon) or Minis (made in nearby Oxford. Body shells made in Swindon).

Also in Swindon are innumerable small hi tec component manufacturers. I'm sure if we look hard enough, we can find someone who makes Jeely pans ;)

Arnold Rothstein

This post is staggering in its stupidity, both grammatically and logically.

My Arithmetic is fine thanks . Maths too :) You do realise that production, equipment and Labour Costs have to be deducted from that $50bn? Income tax will be deducted from the Labour but once it's all whittled down, spread across several years, it's not really that much.

Perfectly happy without M5s being shipped in. It'll help with balance of Payments. We can just buy Hondas instead (made in Swindon) or Minis (made in nearby Oxford. Body shells made in Swindon).

Also in Swindon are innumerable small hi tec component manufacturers. I'm sure if we look hard enough, we can find someone who makes Jeely pans ;)

Seems to be plenty in Norway though.

You can argue against this one. The UK government are allowing ?Billions to be avoided and banked off-shore while the Yoons harp on about Scotlands defecit. If companies paid their tax (like the seem quite able to do in other north sea countries) then perhaps the Tory austerity plan could be reduced. I am sure after a Yes vote the oil companies will be properly held to account as they are elswhere.

Harry Potter

Figure being quoted yesterday, one billion poonds to keep scotland in the EU, aye that sounds like a cracking good idea.

You can argue against this one. The UK government are allowing ?Billions to be avoided and banked off-shore while the Yoons harp on about Scotlands defecit. If companies paid their tax (like the seem quite able to do in other north sea countries) then perhaps the Tory austerity plan could be reduced. I am sure after a Yes vote the oil companies will be properly held to account as they are elswhere.

I agree with lot of this, however the point being made is the deals in place that the U.K. Government made with these companies. Many of these deals/agreements were signed a long time ago to change them would cost billions in fines and the companies probably wouldn't agree meaning long protracted legal battles costing many more millions.

It's shit I agree, what should be happening is making sure it doesn't happen again with new deals agreements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SwindonJambo

I largely agree with this Pans. Not going to argue one sided. When it comes to capturing funds for the Treasury, our Oil Industry is very badly set up. Norway isn't a like for like comparison as it has much, much more oil than Scotland. Another good move they made was to set up a state owned oil company covering the whole supply chain of exploration, drilling, refinement and delivery. So the Norwegian Taxman gets the the whole caboodle. However, to reverse the arrangements we now have would be cost prohibitive so the genie is out of the bottle there. Norway also has a very well developed non oil economy and has very high taxes, most notably on alcohol!

Corporate Tax Avoidance pisses me off too and is a big problem everywhere.

I largely agree with this Pans. Not going to argue one sided. When it comes to capturing funds for the Treasury, our Oil Industry is very badly set up. Norway isn't a like for like comparison as it has much, much more oil than Scotland. Another good move they made was to set up a state owned oil company covering the whole supply chain of exploration, drilling, refinement and delivery. So the Norwegian Taxman gets the the whole caboodle. However, to reverse the arrangements we now have would be cost prohibitive so the genie is out of the bottle there. Norway also has a very well developed non oil economy and has very high taxes, most notably on alcohol!

Corporate Tax Avoidance pisses me off too and is a big problem everywhere.

The problem with comparing ourselves to Norway is that Norway set up Oil funds a long time ago (late 70s, early 80s?) and this money has been invested rather than diverted onto other government spending as the UK did.

Its all a bit too late for the UK or Scotland to start this now with Oil reserves running out.

Edit:  Corporate Tax Avoidance is also one of my major gripes and I wish government would invest in the HMRC and tighten up tax regulation to make it impossible.  There are too many loopholes in taxation rules and perhaps a more simplified and unambiguous approach would be more effective.  However we keep getting told that these firms will move their jobs elsewhere - which is a bluff that governments buy every time.

SwindonJambo

The problem with comparing ourselves to Norway is that Norway set up Oil funds a long time ago (late 70s, early 80s?) and this money has been invested rather than diverted onto other government spending as the UK did.

Its all a bit too late for the UK or Scotland to start this now with Oil reserves running out.

Edit:  Corporate Tax Avoidance is also one of my major gripes and I wish government would invest in the HMRC and tighten up tax regulation to make it impossible.  There are too many loopholes in taxation rules and perhaps a more simplified and unambiguous approach would be more effective.  However we keep getting told that these firms will move their jobs elsewhere - which is a bluff that governments buy every time.

Good post. Norway has managed its oil Wealth very, very well. When first discovered, they looked far into the future, made a plan and executed it. I've been to Norway twice and imho they are a model state. Far too late for us to do what they did, sadly.

The Tax Office? They've done the exact opposite of your good suggestion, slashing the budgets of the very department supposed to collect tax and provide the country with its budget. Staff morale must be horrendous because whenever I've dealt with them in my work, I 've always found them to be obtuse and uncooperative, even whilst trying to pay them money! It's such a daft move to cut their budgets with such an obvious payback. And yes, our tax book is riddled with loopholes.

coconut doug

The Oil fund has nothing to do with it. In any case it was not set up until 1996 https://www.nbim.no/en/the-fund/about-the-fund/

Direct comparison between the U.K. and Norway is possible purely on tax terms. This often quoted report shows that Norway's government gets $9.10 more for every barrel  in taxation. It also gets a similar amount in returns from state investment http://www.resourcegovernance.org/blog/did-uk-miss-out-%C2%A3400-billion-worth-oil-revenue . Norway gets almost $20 more for every barrel.

It's not too late for an oil fund for us as yesterday's news shows. The trouble with the U.K. is that there are no plans for building and investing in the country. The priority is to give away our wealth to private companies and individuals. The same people who will fund the Tory and Labour party in return. We are apparently philosophically opposed to state investment but it's worked well for Norway.

jambos are go!

Hope Nicola is wearing virtual bullet proof shoes since she is about inflict virtual self harm

The Oil fund has nothing to do with it. In any case it was not set up until 1996 https://www.nbim.no/en/the-fund/about-the-fund/

Direct comparison between the U.K. and Norway is possible purely on tax terms. This often quoted report shows that Norway's government gets $9.10 more for every barrel  in taxation. It also gets a similar amount in returns from state investment http://www.resourcegovernance.org/blog/did-uk-miss-out-%C2%A3400-billion-worth-oil-revenue . Norway gets almost $20 more for every barrel.

It's not too late for an oil fund for us as yesterday's news shows. The trouble with the U.K. is that there are no plans for building and investing in the country. The priority is to give away our wealth to private companies and individuals. The same people who will fund the Tory and Labour party in return. We are apparently philosophically opposed to state investment but it's worked well for Norway.

Yesterday's news really isn't going to help set up any oil fund, lets be honest.  It isn't clear if it is even financially cost effective drilling there.

I do agree with your final statement about the lack of investment in UK companies.  Nowadays as soon as a company becomes successful they go for the quick exit strategy that almost inevitably leads to a sale overseas to a competitor and eventually jobs moving a few years later.

Have you not got enough to do busy writing poorly spelled slogans on bed sheets for your big day on Sunday?

Nah,I reckon Dundee will beat the Sheep on Friday night.

Possible Good news for Shetland and the Orkneys if this turns out to be a good find.

Will wee nippy grant Shetland and Orkneysbtheir independence referendum to be independent from Scotland? Or will the wee nasty gnats be hypocrites and refuse another referendum to the islands and harvest their possible oil finds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scotland bought the Shetland islands, if the occupants are not happy, we'll soon replace them.

Space Mackerel

Figure being quoted yesterday, one billion poonds to keep scotland in the EU, aye that sounds like a cracking good idea.

And how much would we get back in the form of subsidies and investment?

Yet again another ill informed post. You Yoons are littering this thread with them.

Space Mackerel

"It's not really that much" :lol:

You should email Hurricane and tell them not to bother then? Post their reply on here and give us all a giggle.

I read the other day 400k barrels of oil per day come ashore into Scotland and we (for sake of argument the British government make plums) yet Norway made ?12 billion pounds last year for prett much the same amount of oil extracted.

I think it's fair to say WM is either really at it or seriously shite.

Wilful mismanagement of Scottish oil to inflict maximum damage on the Scottish economy.

Archived