memories of the 80s

cookieboy

The Robbo game when he was stretchered off was the start of the 85/86 season.

Robbo scored the only goal of the game and Henry had an amazing game.

Robbo played the following week.

Could well have been the start of the great run that season.

Did Gary Mckay not miss a great chance to make it 2-0 in that game?

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BroughtyJambo

Going in the father and son gate or actually getting lifted over the gate on the way in...

The dodgy open air bogs at the school end just after the turnstiles with the steam rising out of them on in the winter

Remember a period where inflatables were the thing to take in to the ground. Some eejit had a giant champagne bottle.

Ha ha!! I do indeed!! Great shout mate.

Wonderland was next to a sunbed salon called The Electric Beach.

God, I was hunky in these days :lol:

Wonderland was next to a sunbed salon called The Electric Beach.

God, I was hunky in these days :lol:

Here, Morgan, do you mind a shop called Hoi Polloi? I'm trying to rack my brains as to where it was. Rose Street perhaps?

Here, Morgan, do you mind a shop called Hoi Polloi? I'm trying to rack my brains as to where it was. Rose Street perhaps?

It was a shoe shop was it not?

We_are_the_Hearts

If it's the one I'm thinking of you could always do a bargain with the Asian dude and sold Chevignon, Sonnetti etc. Started going there after Who's Who closed

Christ i hope i dreamt this but wasn't the fitba specials referred to as Saville Travel at the time as Jimmy was the face of British rail?

Correct... this is the age of the train and let the train take the strain were his words

I was sitting in the front row of the top tier the day the seat was thrown. The seat hit the ledge before it bounced over and hit the Rangers fans below. It was bedlam after that. I was grabbed by the Police and thrown out at half time even though everyone around me said I had done nothing wrong. Rangers fans below said I threw coffee or a pie or some other made up object - Policeman in lower tier lied and said he saw me do it - must have made his day a bit easier.

I was led out but they couldn't get me out on the top tier (not sure why) so was led down and through the Rangers fans - spat on kicked and punched - with my arms up my back from the Police. After I got let out a door the mounted Police hassled me asking why I had been kicked out. There must have been at least 20 Hearts fans who were chucked out in quick succession after me.

Never saw who threw the seat but the story at the time was the guy with the Billy Idol blonde haircut was just grabbed because he stood out in the crowd - not sure if that was true or not.

I got back to our supporters bus as fast as I could as there was a lot of Rangers neds hanging about the streets.

Listened to the end of the game on the bus it finished 0-0 in the end. The game with the seat throwing was February 1990 though.

right, I thought it was late 80s because the picture i have in my head is us wearing the white bukta away strip of that time?

Is all a bit hazy now mind you but I was definitely at the Billy Idol game. Lol

If it's the one I'm thinking of you could always do a bargain with the Asian dude and sold Chevignon, Sonnetti etc. Started going there after Who's Who closed

Think you could well be right mate.

We_are_the_Hearts

Think you could well be right mate.

Surprised no mention of Burberry on here. Was a classy shop back in the day and a Shopping trip to the Toon this was always on the tour. Pity the neds hijacked it in later years. Who's Who, Frasers,  Hoi Polloi, , Burberry, Xile then up to Smiths Menswear and McKenzies.

Surprised no mention of Burberry on here. Was a classy shop back in the day and a Shopping trip to the Toon this was always on the tour. Pity the neds hijacked it in later years. Who's Who, Frasers,  Hoi Polloi, , Burberry, Xile then up to Smiths Menswear and McKenzies.

Good shouts there! Burberry was next door to C&A was it not??

Smiths Menswear were also heavy advertisers in the matchday programme. McKenzies was previously called Ricci.

We_are_the_Hearts

Smiths Menswear were also heavy advertisers in the matchday programme. McKenzies was previously called Ricci.

Smiths Menswear stickers were all over the benches where the Wheatfield is now

Sneaked a film home in my school bag called lemon popsicle and couldn't believe my luck when my mum asked if I'd be ok on my own while she went to fine fare in Musselburgh.

Watching out the window and as soon as the bus door was closed the video was out the bag and into the recorder just praying the tape didn't jam as it was a 2nd hand one that had seen better days

There was a shop called buzzini in rose street, think it then turned into cruise before they moved to st Mary's street

Was hoi polloi not a shoe shop in St. Andrews square although I could be wrong with that one

Def Rose street and focused on shoes mainly ..I think the shop run by the Indians was across the street from them.

Surprised no mention of Burberry on here. Was a classy shop back in the day and a Shopping trip to the Toon this was always on the tour. Pity the neds hijacked it in later years. Who's Who, Frasers, Hoi Polloi, , Burberry, Xile then up to Smiths Menswear and McKenzies.

Burberry was top notch back in the day always mind seeing a fair sized mob of Hibs outside the wimpy one day and Ivor decked out in a full suit with deerstalker

Burberry was top notch back in the day always mind seeing a fair sized mob of Hibs outside the wimpy one day and Ivor decked out in a full suit with deerstalker

Ivor Levein. Now there's a name from back in the day.

There was a shop called buzzini in rose street, think it then turned into cruise before they moved to st Mary's street

Was hoi polloi not a shoe shop in St. Andrews square although I could be wrong with that one

Buzzini! :lol:

Christ i hope i dreamt this but wasn't the fitba specials referred to as Saville Travel at the time as Jimmy was the face of British rail?

There were 2 "Firms" of lads who travelled to the away games before the Hearts CSF came on the scene.

The Saville Travel and The Service Crew were on the go in 1982/83/84. The Service Crew were mostly made up of lads from the Moredun area of Edinburgh were as The Saville Travel accommodated everyone else.

Strange that I could name you the hearts team from the 80s and results like roddie macdonald scoring in paisley but I couldn't tell you results from last year or mind what I did a few days ago

Hope I'm not the only one like that as I'm only 46 and my memory is going and fast

Yep, the odds were stacked well against us before a ball was kicked.

Mind you iirc did Berry not rattle the bar? Who knows what might have happened if that had gone in. Can't even remember what stage of the game that was right enough.

The support was still tremendous that day though.

Not forgetting Gary Mackay and John Robertsons chances in the first half, we're talking Inches here.

Walter Kidd was scythed in the box and yes Neil Berry blootered the crossbar with a decent reaction to a loose ball.

However Aberdeen still had the edge, the early goal didn't deflate us, the dark cloud floating above us wasn't shifting, Aberdeen even had the audacity to score a 4th but to be rules offside.

Strange that I could name you the hearts team from the 80s and results like roddie macdonald scoring in paisley but I couldn't tell you results from last year or mind what I did a few days ago

Hope I'm not the only one like that as I'm only 46 and my memory is going and fast

I could tell you I was standing with my back to goal at the pie shed behind the goals when big roddy scored a header in the first few minutes against dundee united at tynie in 85/86 season. No idea how I remember that

Not forgetting Gary Mackay and John Robertsons chances in the first half, we're talking Inches here.

Walter Kidd was scythed in the box and yes Neil Berry blootered the crossbar with a decent reaction to a loose ball.

However Aberdeen still had the edge, the early goal didn't deflate us, the dark cloud floating above us wasn't shifting, Aberdeen even had the audacity to score a 4th but to be rules offside.

I have zero recollection of that 4th goal likes!! That must have been late on was it??

I've just been watching the goals on youtube to see if there was any footage of NB's strike lol, Yes some support I was in the first section past the shed  i remember standing the whole game and could hardly move, theres images online and when u see any videos its very impressive. Was reckoned we had 45 thousand, im sure we had just past the half way line it wasn't a 50\50 split.

Aberdeen only had the 2 sections of the East Terracing that day. The 2 sections of the North Terracing, Hearts had 1 and at least 80 to 90% of the other section nearest the Aberdeen fans.

Think there was just over 62/63 Thousand in Hampden that day, correct me if im wrong here but im positive the only other attendance to better that before reconstruction was the ill fated 1988 semi final against the tinkers.

Ivor Levein. Now there's a name from back in the day.

Ivor and a couple of his cronies came along Dalry Rd, he had CCS printed on a white t-shirt, they got chased and the shit was kicked right out of Ivor, there's a photo of him lying sparkled on the road with a member of the public standing over him.

Of course this is just mythical as it's not mentioned in the book.   

I have zero recollection of that 4th goal likes!! That must have been late on was it??

Yeah, the baw was already burst, last 15 mins.

Ive still got the full game on VHS but no VHS recorder to check 

We_are_the_Hearts

Ivor and a couple of his cronies came along Dalry Rd, he had CCS printed on a white t-shirt, they got chased and the shit was kicked right out of Ivor, there's a photo of him lying sparkled on the road with a member of the public standing over him.

Did he not grow up a Jambo before moving to tbe dark side?

ginger jambo98

Buying gear out of Berry's in Queesnferry St or Smith's Arena to wear to either Bobby McGee's in Rose St or Cinderella's. Gear was criminal in those days. Shirs with collars which covered your tie knot or collars with bolts through them. Pintuck trousers and wee narrow shoes with next to no sole on them. No such thing as the fashion police in those days. Also remember trips over to Kirkcaldy to go to Jackie O's or Bentleys nightclubs.

Funny I was talking to an old mate who was telling me how game and hard all these boys were (imo pretty easy when you jumped about with 30 others at all times)i remember my mate knocking **** out a well known and supposedly hard as nails Hibs boy when he was on his own one on one ..can't imagine that went down in any note books either

Wife says clothes shop on George Street.

A game at ER. A wee fat ball boy was in front of the Dunbar End. Of course we were all chanting the usual favs, "you fat barsteward...". So the polis in all their wisdom moved the laddie to the far side of away section (towards) the enclosure where the fans there abused the guy. Then from there a greasy pie splattered down his back :qqb006: So the laddie eventually got moved to the front of the scaffs where he'd be a little safer.

Ricci! Remember it well. Buzzini another forgotten gem. Paninari up the bridges just up from the trading post who sold quite a bit of fake clobber. I,ve still got a best company sweater with bat wings. Criminal. I remember ivor at telford college wearing a deerstalker and massive headphones.

We_are_the_Hearts

Ricci! Remember it well. Buzzini another forgotten gem. Paninari up the bridges just up from the trading post who sold quite a bit of fake clobber. I,ve still got a best company sweater with bat wings. Criminal. I remember ivor at telford college wearing a deerstalker and massive headphones.

The Livi casuals were called the Paninari

Hoi Polloi, was that not in Waverley Market? Like separate from Xile.

found this ....

The business was successful for a while. But with the arrival of rival Scottish fashionwear group USC, the curtain began to come down. "We got blown out the water in Edinburgh by USC. They were the new face of fashion. They kicked our butts and made life very difficult," Mr Mackay says. They also carried a sophisticated corporate image that Hoi Polloi couldn?t compete with. "We just wanted to plant a flag on Princes Street, but we didn?t have the business acumen to create a corporate brand. Instead we achieved what we did on raw ambition and a bit of opportunism," he explains. Mr Mackay says he should have brought in some solid outside business expertise in the early days. "If we?d done that we might have established ourselves as a serious high street player," he states. The death knell for the business came in November 2000, two years after "begging" to get a place in the prestigious Buchanan Galleries in Glasgow. After successfully securing a place in the new shopping Mecca, no favours were granted by the centre?s owners. "We were paying full-whack rent from the start. We also had to pay a deposit equivalent to one quarter?s rent in case we ran away," recalls Mr Mackay.

Read more at: http://www.scotsman.com/business/companies/jean-genius-up-for-seconds-in-restaurant-game-1-1026891

found this ....

The business was successful for a while. But with the arrival of rival Scottish fashionwear group USC, the curtain began to come down. "We got blown out the water in Edinburgh by USC. They were the new face of fashion. They kicked our butts and made life very difficult," Mr Mackay says. They also carried a sophisticated corporate image that Hoi Polloi couldn?t compete with. "We just wanted to plant a flag on Princes Street, but we didn?t have the business acumen to create a corporate brand. Instead we achieved what we did on raw ambition and a bit of opportunism," he explains. Mr Mackay says he should have brought in some solid outside business expertise in the early days. "If we?d done that we might have established ourselves as a serious high street player," he states. The death knell for the business came in November 2000, two years after "begging" to get a place in the prestigious Buchanan Galleries in Glasgow. After successfully securing a place in the new shopping Mecca, no favours were granted by the centre?s owners. "We were paying full-whack rent from the start. We also had to pay a deposit equivalent to one quarter?s rent in case we ran away," recalls Mr Mackay.[/size]Read more at: http://www.scotsman.com/business/companies/jean-genius-up-for-seconds-in-restaurant-game-1-1026891[/size]

Thanks for the link. I know Dean Gassabi. Nice enough fellah but not one for doing business with.

queensferryjambo

right, I thought it was late 80s because the picture i have in my head is us wearing the white bukta away strip of that time?

Is all a bit hazy now mind you but I was definitely at the Billy Idol game. Lol

You were bang on about getting the upper tier a few times in the late 80s. I remember the games from 1986 to 88 and the white Bukta shirts (which were cracking) and us being in the upper tier.

We got moved down to the lower tier 88/89 (I am on TV in the lower section when Rangers won the league against us 4-0).

Sure we were in the lower tier the first match of 89/90 and for whatever reason we moved back up for the second game (and last time ever) for the seat slinging early 1990. 

as we are in retro 80s memory week who remembers the guy selling rolls etc , getting smacked full puss with the ball at Clydebank in 85/86

Not sure if it's already been mentioned but after the 1986 World Cup Tynecastle became the home of the Mexican Wave which was renamed the Gorgie Wave, normally it started behind the goals at the school end then carried on around the ground until it stopped which was the queue for the boos to start.

I could tell you I was standing with my back to goal at the pie shed behind the goals when big roddy scored a header in the first few minutes against dundee united at tynie in 85/86 season. No idea how I remember that

I was making my way round to my spot in the Shed when Roddy scored that goal.

Must have been the only time I was late in getting in in the 80's.

Remember a period where inflatables were the thing to take in to the ground. Some eejit had a giant champagne bottle.

Started by Manchester City with the inflatable bananas

Archived