memories of the 80s

cookieboy

Having viewed the footage I can conclude I was more pished than I thought !

Danny started at 15k, I started at 30k.....I'm happy to meet in the middle and say 22.5 k.

:beatnik2:

Nah I'm opting for 22,134  :wings:

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2012 wasn't great. Those that didn't go missed one of our greatest ever victories. All in my opinion of course.

Correct, I know a few who didn't go because Hearts would almost certainly get beat, I also remember the scramble for Cup Final tickets. 

Getting chased and hiding mate? C'mon eh,

Lol. Remember it at tannadice there was about 4 of us and about 20 of them charged us and we got split up. The parkhead game was where we used to park the buses and wasn't so much the manks but the bottles and bricks they were throwing. At the coach park they were out of order as there was obviously women and all ages there too. The Celtic support to this day still has the look of inbred to it and don't think it'll ever change

Correct, I know a few who didn't go because Hearts would almost certainly get beat, I also remember the scramble for Cup Final tickets.

Yes it was a great day. Probably because when Celtic equalised we all thought we had seen this script before.

Not just a great day a perfect day.

They'd kicked us in the teeth so often it was a case of revenge is a dish best served cold.

That was the cup final really the actual cup final was a stroll.

Yes it was a great day. Probably because when Celtic equalised we all thought we had seen this script before.

Not just a great day a perfect day.

They'd kicked us in the teeth so often it was a case of revenge is a dish best served cold.

That was the cup final really the actual cup final was a stroll.

Excellent post. Agree with every word.

What about Gary Mackays Centre Spot boozer?

And the Spiders Web.....

You can have the Centre Spot but the Spiders Web?? That was still there up until a couple of years ago!!

You can have the Centre Spot but the Spiders Web?? That was still there up until a couple of years ago!!

Yes, this is true marsy, but I hadn't visited this particular hostelry since the 80's. So it's an 80's memory :)

Yes, this is true marsy, but I hadn't visited this particular hostelry since the 80's. So it's an 80's memory :)

One of the best jukeboxes in town, along with The Queens Arms back in the 80's

Not once was I in the SW, Smiley fellah. Never been in the Century 2000 or any of its other guises!

Not once was I in the SW, Smiley fellah. Never been in the Century 2000 or any of its other guises!

Century 2000 or the amphitheatre , now a soulless wetherspoons pub :(

always looked forward to a derby match in the 80s ........................unlike many nowadays ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Got a good feeling about the upcoming game.... ,,,

Looks like the new year match will make a return this year....

Great memories of past encounters

...a bit disco

feck me. what memories. Tear in the eye stuff. Lest we forget!

:thumbsup:

Brings it all back right enough.

If only we could turn back time. What a place the Shed was.

Too right!

That's almost the exact bit I just about broke my feckin neck when Fergie scored against Bayern. Brilliant night.

Great photo! That's pretty much where I used to stand.

Were you the guy with the maroon and white scarf?

If so, I think I know you :lol:

I am ashamed to admit that when I was in my early teens I used to sneak into matches via Tynie High School Main Building by climbing up the wall and over the fence into the toilet area behind what's now the Roseburn Stand. Did it for quite a while until a 'grown up' was attacked by a police dog whilst trying to do likewise, ripping his breeks right off him. I've always paid in since.

Playing football in the playground at break, the ball frequently went over and someone would have to climb up to get it back. Tricky affair but no police dogs involved.

Right about there...

C3Pw6ImWcAAM2lm.jpg

Thanks for posting that - brings it all back. Late one night, not long before the stadium changed, me and a girlfriend climbed into the ground. It was very quiet and kind of beautiful (unlike the girlfriend, TBH). We'd been on the piss and I think the plan had been to make out in the dug out or something like that. Instead I just ran around in the dark like a daftie, pretending to score derby winners and celebrating in front of the shed. Closest I ever got!

(I mean, it was the closest I ever got to scoring for Hearts - it's no the closest I ever got to a ride)

• 1 year later...
Unknown user
5 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

This is a great picture

Doddies testimonial wasn't it?

3fingersreid
20 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Doddies testimonial wasn't it?

Yep sure was 

Still think the 1987/88 season was the best football I ever saw Hearts play. Many outstanding performances, home and away, against every team we faced. A travesty that such a good side didn't land silverware. 

4-1 v. Dundee Utd,  

5-1 @ Falkirk, 

3-0 @ Dundee Utd, 

2-2 @ Celtic, 

4-2 v. Dundee, 

6-0 @ St. Mirren... 

...were just some of the fantastic displays. 

crichiejambos

Pittodrie being all ticket as in a sell out can't mind the season could have been 85/86 ? But seem to remember it was the silver strip with the design on it,diamond pattern

colinmaroon
On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 14:08, Morgan said:

Too right!

That's almost the exact bit I just about broke my feckin neck when Fergie scored against Bayern. Brilliant night.

Was it you who almost knocked my specs off?

6 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Was it you who almost knocked my specs off?

Were you the guy with the Hearts scarf on? If so, then ‘yes’ it was me :lol:

2 hours ago, martoon said:

Still think the 1987/88 season was the best football I ever saw Hearts play. Many outstanding performances, home and away, against every team we faced. A travesty that such a good side didn't land silverware. 

4-1 v. Dundee Utd,  

5-1 @ Falkirk, 

3-0 @ Dundee Utd, 

2-2 @ Celtic, 

4-2 v. Dundee, 

6-0 @ St. Mirren... 

...were just some of the fantastic displays. 

Agree

89/90 was good too and my favourite team

2 hours ago, crichiejambos said:

Pittodrie being all ticket as in a sell out can't mind the season could have been 85/86 ? But seem to remember it was the silver strip with the design on it,diamond pattern

The 1-0 victory with late John Colquhoun goal in Jan 86 was 20,000 crowd.

Picture in article below

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hearts-need-conjure-up-spirit-10028095.amp

85/86 results below

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985–86_Heart_of_Midlothian_F.C._season#Fixtures

The White Cockade

late 70's / early 80's

reminds me of the trips to Morton

Always freezing windy and wet on that long walk from the buses to Cappielow

2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Agree

89/90 was good too and my favourite team

Spot on, Mikey. 

A very enjoyable season and, to this day, the only one where I attended every single game, home and away. Got close most seasons in the '80's/'90's but managed it that season. 

Bazzas right boot

I was a young lad.

But Bayern away on the radio sticks out.

Something like

"Colqhoun picks the ball up, OH HE'S AWAY " then silence for about 2/3 seconds (felt like an enternity), then

"Colqhoun...ooooh"

I thought he'd scored.

We should also bring back the silver strip.

On 1/29/2017 at 22:52, ...a bit disco said:

Right about there...

C3Pw6ImWcAAM2lm.jpg

Stood on those barriers when we  scored ...a right few times as well

drumie jambo
On 18/01/2017 at 09:28, dannymack said:

Aberdeen only had the 2 sections of the East Terracing that day. The 2 sections of the North Terracing, Hearts had 1 and at least 80 to 90% of the other section nearest the Aberdeen fans.

Think there was just over 62/63 Thousand in Hampden that day, correct me if im wrong here but im positive the only other attendance to better that before reconstruction was the ill fated 1988 semi final against the tinkers.

62841 of which 45000 were Jambos. Sheep support was appalling considering they were in their purple patch era.

Worked as DJ in the Centurion that season. It was an oldies night and I can remember the longer the unbeaten run went on the travelling support got bigger and

bigger. The Cenny got wilder as the weeks went by with big Coops leading the singsong.

Also remember the Subway in those days was known as Pipers. Used to go there and Bobby Mcgees  after a night in The Auld Hundred in Rose Street which was the best bar none. Another great venue in Semple Street was firstly called The Americana. Went when it was called The Red Hot Pepper Club with DJ Huggy. Many a drunken night was had there. Finally remember Oscars nightclub under the Rutland Hotel pre refurbishment and it was another drunken shaggers paradise. Those were the days.

3fingersreid
45 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

I was a young lad.

Something like

"Colqhoun picks the ball up, OH HE'S AWAY " then silence for about 2/3 seconds (felt like an enternity), then

"Colqhoun...ooooh"

I thought he'd scored.

42 hours on a bus to Munich , bus toilets gave in at lothianburn then 

44 hours back , ?

can anyone remember the big kick about at Calais harbour whilst waiting on the ferry arriving ? 

TyphoonJambo
42 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

I was a young lad.

Something like

"Colqhoun...ooooh"

I thought he'd scored.

100% agree re the silver strip. ******* tumble dryer ate mine.The night we played Bayern away I was with a team recovering a harrier jet from a German base. They were on exercise so me and some mates, all newborn jambos, climbed the fence then made our way to the nearest German village. The only thing they could say in English was “ kick and run” we shut them *******s up and when colguon burst through they shut the **** up. Christ I wish that had gone in.

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

42 hours on a bus to Munich , bus toilets gave in at lothianburn then 

44 hours back , ?

can anyone remember the big kick about at Calais harbour whilst waiting on the ferry arriving ? 

ooft, bet it was worth it- tho!

3fingersreid
3 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

ooft, bet it was worth it- tho!

It was , that JC moment tho , genuinely thought he was going to score . We were applauded out of the ground by the police that night .

I’ve still got my Bayern hat from that night , worryingly it doesn’t fit so either it’s shrunk somehow or my heids got bigger ?

1 hour ago, drumie jambo said:

62841 of which 45000 were Jambos. Sheep support was appalling considering they were in their purple patch era.

Worked as DJ in the Centurion that season. It was an oldies night and I can remember the longer the unbeaten run went on the travelling support got bigger and

bigger. The Cenny got wilder as the weeks went by with big Coops leading the singsong.

Also remember the Subway in those days was known as Pipers. Used to go there and Bobby Mcgees  after a night in The Auld Hundred in Rose Street which was the best bar none. Another great venue in Semple Street was firstly called The Americana. Went when it was called The Red Hot Pepper Club with DJ Huggy. Many a drunken night was had there. Finally remember Oscars nightclub under the Rutland Hotel pre refurbishment and it was another drunken shaggers paradise. Those were the days.

I actually asked the question yonks ago in a newspaper football section about our allocation in that Cup Final.

I was told 37,000 tickets we got. 

Of course, in those days people attempted alot of things to get into games for nowt and attendances were probably bigger than publicised, but they must've been based on tickets sold.

I remember the Q's at Tynie for Final Tickets  went on for a few days

I went through twice and it was mobbed both times

Though you could get as many as you wanted

I thought we got 43k or so no matter what it was easily twice what the sheep had

drumie jambo
38 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

I actually asked the question yonks ago in a newspaper football section about our allocation in that Cup Final.

I was told 37,000 tickets we got. 

Of course, in those days people attempted alot of things to get into games for nowt and attendances were probably bigger than publicised, but they must've been based on tickets sold.

Certainly remember 44000 being sold

Archived