memories of the 80s

cookieboy

Told this story a couple of weeks back...

Bumped into Andy Walker in Glasgow last year and my three mates, who are Celtic fans, called him over. I got talking to him about '88 and I didn't realise he had scored(thought it was McGhee and macavennie). Anyway, after it went 1-1 the Celtic players were happy to settle for the draw but Roy Aitken was going radge saying that they had us rattled and go for the winner.

Would have to say he was a thoroughly pleasant chap.

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Told this story a couple of weeks back...

Bumped into Andy Walker in Glasgow last year and my three mates, who are Celtic fans, called him over. I got talking to him about '88 and I didn't realise he had scored(thought it was McGhee and macavennie). Anyway, after it went 1-1 the Celtic players were happy to settle for the draw but Roy Aitken was going radge saying that they had us rattled and go for the winner.

Would have to say he was a thoroughly pleasant chap.

They scored just about every game around then in the last minutes. Macavennie, McGhee, then Coyne. We wet the bed after 85 minutes for a good few years against them. Nothing compares to the feeling at that semi final though with Henry. From that game onwards the drop the ball song haunted him and eventually Nicky Walker took over for a lot of games (but he couldn't kick the ball).

They scored just about every game around then in the last minutes. Macavennie, McGhee, then Coyne. We wet the bed after 85 minutes for a good few years against them. Nothing compares to the feeling at that semi final though with Henry. From that game onwards the drop the ball song haunted him and eventually Nicky Walker took over for a lot of games (but he couldn't kick the ball).

Was feckin horrendous playing them back then as you could almost write the script before a ball was kicked.

I was at the semi in 2012,with the same mate I was with in '88!and when Hooper scored he turned to me and said 'it's happening again'. I actually thought exactly the same but said we'd still do it to try and keep spirits up. Thankfully, that more than worked out ok.

The manager was a boy called Peter Hood. He ended up managing Clever Dicks and Dirty Dicks.

a

Knew Willie McLaughlin at ,Marcos who showed me how to recover a snooker table when I was at school 70/80s... He was at the manse road snooker club as well.....

Was feckin horrendous playing them back then as you could almost write the script before a ball was kicked.

I was at the semi in 2012,with the same mate I was with in '88!and when Hooper scored he turned to me and said 'it's happening again'. I actually thought exactly the same but said we'd still do it to try and keep spirits up. Thankfully, that more than worked out ok.

Aye. And it was a bloody shame as Henry was a bloody decent keeper but his confidence with cross balls was shot after that semi. I'll always remember his save in 91 in the 3-1 home win v Celtic though. As good a save as I've ever seen and I'm sure that was at 1-1

Funny (the semi) how a career can be altered in a couple of moments. By that I mean it's sadly one of the things he'll be remembered for unfortunately. Fantastic servant to the famous though and couldn't meet a nicer bloke

Always remember me my bro and mum and dad having fish and chips in leisureland after a derby and hearts and hibs fans battling outside ,throwing each other into the windows and my Dad telling us to not look and just keep eating our dinner. Pretty surreal at the time!

I was there in 88 as a 14 year old.

It was an immense occasion as you say. I think it's fair to say we probably were just short of having half the attendance present. Maybe 29, 30,000?

Hampden seemed completely rammed and what a moment when we took the lead! Being just off the back of 86 and the disappointment the year before of losing to St Mirren, we dared to think it was at last our time.

Then the last few minutes disaster.....I'm not superstitious but I started to wonder if there actually was a hidden being making things happen against us. The ever reliable Henry Smith being the victim.

I was at that semi in 1988 BUT had completely forgotten about it until reading this thread - it was always the same with Celtic scoring at the end of games - very bad memories!

I was in the main stand that day and Alex MacDonald vs Billy McNeil was as entertaining as the match! There was certainly no love lost there, the verbal exchanges between them in the 2nd half left nothing to the imagination! And whilst no punches were exchanged they both certainly held each other's 'lapels'!

.... and I'd also forgotten about the '87 semi vs St Mirren!

No wonder 1998 was such an emotional occasion after these painful experiences!

05/04/86. My favourite date from the 1980s. My eldest child a daughter is born and hearts reached the Scottish Cup final after a cracker from John colquhoun. The greatest day of my life at the time. Now my daughter has made me a grandad twice over and my football team has won said cup three times since that April day. I have been one very fortunate man.

Haven't seen a video of that game. Was sure we had some in North Enclosure. We were in rangers end.....packed in !

What I will say is we had more than 15k......and i'll put money on that !

Wasn't it in the region of 25k in our end? I remember skiving work for that. Then bumping into my work mates at the game.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Aye. And it was a bloody shame as Henry was a bloody decent keeper but his confidence with cross balls was shot after that semi. I'll always remember his save in 91 in the 3-1 home win v Celtic though. As good a save as I've ever seen and I'm sure that was at 1-1

Funny (the semi) how a career can be altered in a couple of moments. By that I mean it's sadly one of the things he'll be remembered for unfortunately. Fantastic servant to the famous though and couldn't meet a nicer bloke

Pretty Henry stopped it going 0-2. You're right, he was a good keeper.

Far better than Walker.

Of course we did. You have to remember the capacity of hampden in '88 was about 70 odd thousand. There's easily 20 odd thousand jambos behind the goals.

If you look at the footage the Tinkers sections are well and truly rammed, there were 6 sections of terracing at Hampden back then plus the main stand, the attendance is recorded at 66,466 that means there would be just over 11k in each section without counting the Main Stand,   I was there, I remember it being mobbed but not as much as people think, it was fairly comfortable down the bottom as the TV highlights show.

I still maintain our 3 Semi Finals against them, including 1988 have been poorly attended by Hearts fans.

I remember that scum chasing us onto the buses after they won ffs. I remember having to hide underneath a bus when police horses ran at the crowds to try and scare everyone. We never caused trouble and even on the buses when they were leaving the buses got stones and bricks chucked at the windows. A terrifying place to go to at the time. Also remember tannadice being pretty bad also. Getting chased and having to hide in people's gardens. If nothing else at least I feel safer now as it was pretty brutal back in the mid to late 80's and even early 90's.

Never in my life have I seen Hearts fans run from the Beggars at Parkhead, that night in 1986 when the tramps trashed a lot of buses was probably the worst of it all but even then the Hearts fans ran from no one, it was one mighty battle and they had they're hands full.

Tannadice was pretty much the same, the league and cup games of 84 was when it got nasty but everyone was fair game and yet again I never witnessed the Hearts fans run from UTD, maybe you were in the wrong place at the wrong time Fozzy  :thumbsdown:

Never in my life have I seen Hearts fans run from the Beggars at Parkhead, that night in 1986 when the tramps trashed a lot of buses was probably the worst of it all but even then the Hearts fans ran from no one, it was one mighty battle and they had they're hands full.

Tannadice was pretty much the same, the league and cup games of 84 was when it got nasty but everyone was fair game and yet again I never witnessed the Hearts fans run from UTD, maybe you were in the wrong place at the wrong time Fozzy :thumbsdown:

Never in my life have I seen Hearts fans run from the Beggars at Parkhead, that night in 1986 when the tramps trashed a lot of buses was probably the worst of it all but even then the Hearts fans ran from no one, it was one mighty battle and they had they're hands full.

Tannadice was pretty much the same, the league and cup games of 84 was when it got nasty but everyone was fair game and yet again I never witnessed the Hearts fans run from UTD, maybe you were in the wrong place at the wrong time Fozzy :thumbsdown:

Waiting on the 26 at clerry terminus with my dad to go to my first European game and getting lifted over the turnstiles at wheatfield just in time to see fozzie score the opener

First game on my own with my mates was Hamilton at home. Won 7-0, sure it was 5 at half time.

Going to ricci with my mum to get my sky blue double strapped pod sandals with a pink tag bought extra

Winning the junior jambos 5 a side tourney finals at the jack kane and getting 3 pairs of home tickets. First one was Aberdeen at home and we were in the old enclosure as we had to get presented our medals at half time. After game my dad had to hide me under his overcoat as it was like ww3 in gorgie road. Loads of missiles getting thrown from the playpark.

First away game was a 3-2 at Hamilton, standing outside pub with coke and crisps.

First away game with mates was airdrie, won 3-2, terrifying experience, police helicopter, bus windows tanned and fighting everywhere

Good times

Going to ricci with my mum to get my sky blue double strapped pod sandals with a pink tag bought extra

I had the dark blue double strapped numbers. Thought I was top boy of the CSF even though I was only 10.

If you look at the footage the Tinkers sections are well and truly rammed, there were 6 sections of terracing at Hampden back then plus the main stand, the attendance is recorded at 66,466 that means there would be just over 11k in each section without counting the Main Stand, I was there, I remember it being mobbed but not as much as people think, it was fairly comfortable down the bottom as the TV highlights show.

I still maintain our 3 Semi Finals against them, including 1988 have been poorly attended by Hearts fans.

I remember Hearts sold 25000 tickets for that game. It was reported in the newspapers at the time.

Dunno why you wish to play down the Hearts support but it's worth pointing out that Celtic didn't exactly pack their end in 2012 either.

Total crowd was 36000 of which over 12000 were Hearts fans.

Realise it's not a memory of the '80s but 1972 vs Celtic in the SC was carnage at both games.

1st game a draw at Celtic park saw massive fighting in the stadium where Hearts fans more than held there own. Outside was chaos.

The replay at Tynecastle (we lost 0-1) was a massive crowd (35/40,000?) with game being stopped by the crowd. During the game the Celtic buses parked in Chesser Ave (?) were seriously damaged. Celtic fans threatened to boycott all future games at Tynecastle due to concerns for their safety! Shame it was never implemented!!

If you look at the footage the Tinkers sections are well and truly rammed, there were 6 sections of terracing at Hampden back then plus the main stand, the attendance is recorded at 66,466 that means there would be just over 11k in each section without counting the Main Stand,   I was there, I remember it being mobbed but not as much as people think, it was fairly comfortable down the bottom as the TV highlights show.

I still maintain our 3 Semi Finals against them, including 1988 have been poorly attended by Hearts fans.

No danger was '88 'poorly attended', Danny lad. I reckon we had at least 22-25K there.

I remember Hearts sold 25000 tickets for that game. It was reported in the newspapers at the time.

Dunno why you wish to play down the Hearts support but it's worth pointing out that Celtic didn't exactly pack their end in 2012 either.

2012 wasn't great. Those that didn't go missed one of our greatest ever victories. All in my opinion of course.

We_are_the_Hearts

No danger was '88 'poorly attended', Danny lad. I reckon we had at least 22-25K there.

Agreed. I also won the Grand National that day with Rhyme n Reason. Only consolation for a 12 year old kid!

Maybe people forget it was standing? Hampden was rammed as we can see from the footage.

In those days too it's debatable to how efficient ticketing was. Plenty "cash in hand" at the turnstiles going on then.

This happened at Easter Road in what was meant to be the last Derby there before their move to Millerhill. The gate was given 21,000 but there's no danger it was that. I'd never seen the Dunbar end so packed for a while, old school 1950s stuff.

Looked over to the turnstiles and seen plenty guys get in by handing the operator a note. Game was all ticket.

We_are_the_Hearts

Maybe people forget it was standing? Hampden was rammed as we can see from the footage.

In those days too it's debatable to how efficient ticketing was. Plenty "cash in hand" at the turnstiles going on then.

This happened at Easter Road in what was meant to be the last Derby there before their move to Millerhill. The gate was given 21,000 but there's no danger it was that. I'd never seen the Dunbar end so packed for a while, old school 1950s stuff.

Looked over to the turnstiles and seen plenty guys get in by handing the operator a note. Game was all ticket.

What year was that?

We_are_the_Hearts

Very early 90s mate. Ended up a drab 0-0. I'll look up exact date.

Not the game Henry saved Hamilton's pen?

Not the game Henry saved Hamilton's pen?

I can remember that but I don't think it's that game. Millerhill move was proposed in January 92 and by the time more discussions etc...took place I'm thinking it was the January 93 game......could be wrong though.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

2012 wasn't great. Those that didn't go missed one of our greatest ever victories. All in my opinion of course.

Definitely. Glad I went, as it made up for the 80s, in my opinion.

Absolutely mate. The first time I went to the Dunbar end with my old boy he bunged the boy at the turnstil cash in a column and the boy knocked it over. A polisman standing not too far away was shouting 'no cash no cash' and the turnstile boy was shouting back 'there's nae cash, there's nae cash' :lol: :lol:

Having viewed the footage I can conclude I was more pished than I thought !

Danny started at 15k, I started at 30k.....I'm happy to meet in the middle and say 22.5 k.

:beatnik2:

I had the dark blue double strapped numbers. Thought I was top boy of the CSF even though I was only 10.

Pod sandles were the worst things to ever make an appearance on folks feet, mind you at least you didn't buy the pink ones.

That's what i said earlier. Our attendance was helped by the fact it was a really sunny afternoon and our form over the previous 2 seasons.

weekend offender

Never in my life have I seen Hearts fans run from the Beggars at Parkhead, that night in 1986 when the tramps trashed a lot of buses was probably the worst of it all but even then the Hearts fans ran from no one, it was one mighty battle and they had they're hands full.

Tannadice was pretty much the same, the league and cup games of 84 was when it got nasty but everyone was fair game and yet again I never witnessed the Hearts fans run from UTD, maybe you were in the wrong place at the wrong time Fozzy  :thumbsdown:

Got to agree, never seen us being run by they ****s. Not saying we done them but them we always stuck together in those days and we had a lively support lol. The only time we ran imo at Tannadice was 86 when the police put buses on to take us to train station and we ran amok instead but it was the police that chased us through gardens blocks of flats , loved those days every sat was was an experience

I used to go by train a lot with my bro dad and uncle and seem to remember us and celtic meeting in queen street station as we returned from possibly Dundee as they came from perth , the Gorgie Aggro was in full force and won the night :scenes:

Pod sandles were the worst things to ever make an appearance on folks feet, mind you at least you didn't buy the pink ones.

Lol

Farah trousers Pringle jumper, pods and Burberry cap

Maybe even a brolly too

Lol

Maybe even a brolly too

Had a wardrobe full of Pringle and Lyle & Scott back then. Have you seen the price of a basic Pringle now?????

Lol

Maybe even a brolly too

Swap the Pods for red Kickers the Pringle for a Benetton and as for the Burberry cap?.... NAH!

Had a wardrobe full of Pringle and Lyle & Scott back then. Have you seen the price of a basic Pringle now?????

Dunno but they weren't exactly cheap back then either mate.

hope this works friends . the premier league was all postponed iirc and this was the featured game on sportscene  saturday night ????

Cheers for the link.

I remember nursing a hangover at that Ayr game.

I was 14 and a half. First ever bevvy the night before. :D

It lead also to highlights of a Cup replay defeat v. Morton in 1981. I was at the game but had never seen the footage until now. My granddad, a right cloth cap auld Hearts man, passed away a few days later, sadly, but it brought back warm memories of him.

Cheers bud.

Ronnie Corbett was very partial to a Pringle and L&S in the 80's.

Absolutely mate. The first time I went to the Dunbar end with my old boy he bunged the boy at the turnstil cash in a column and the boy knocked it over. A polisman standing not too far away was shouting 'no cash no cash' and the turnstile boy was shouting back 'there's nae cash, there's nae cash' :lol: :lol:

picturing the boy trying to scramble the notes in total disarray! :lol:

picturing the boy trying to scramble the notes in total disarray! :lol:

It was all coins!! Couldn't have been much more than 3 or 4 quid!! Having said that, tickets wouldn't been much more than ?6. I remember walking up the gravel path towards the top of the Dunbar end with loads of folk peeing up against the fence then just seeing thousands of jambos in front of me. Great days.

SlickbackDavieMac

I remember that scum chasing us onto the buses after they won ffs. I remember having to hide underneath a bus when police horses ran at the crowds to try and scare everyone. We never caused trouble and even on the buses when they were leaving the buses got stones and bricks chucked at the windows. A terrifying place to go to at the time. Also remember tannadice being pretty bad also. Getting chased and having to hide in people's gardens. If nothing else at least I feel safer now as it was pretty brutal back in the mid to late 80's and even early 90's.

Getting chased and hiding mate? C'mon eh, 

Realise it's not a memory of the '80s but 1972 vs Celtic in the SC was carnage at both games.

1st game a draw at Celtic park saw massive fighting in the stadium where Hearts fans more than held there own. Outside was chaos.

The replay at Tynecastle (we lost 0-1) was a massive crowd (35/40,000?) with game being stopped by the crowd. During the game the Celtic buses parked in Chesser Ave (?) were seriously damaged. Celtic fans threatened to boycott all future games at Tynecastle due to concerns for their safety! Shame it was never implemented!!

Lou Macari scored the goal. It was 44 000 the crowd, the last over 40 000 in Tynie.  I was a 7 year old watching from the tenemants behind the goals.

Pretty sure I got my copy from you bud....:)

Strange. That was something which was doing the rounds when I was a kid. You must be FAR too young. :)

" Play down the Hearts support "   ?????  what are you on about ?

As I said earlier 66k at the game, 6 sections plus the Main Stand, i'll stand by my opinion, lets not lose sleep over it :sunny:

Archived