memories of the 80s

cookieboy

I was making my way round to my spot in the Shed when Roddy scored that goal.

Must have been the only time I was late in getting in in the 80's.

If my memory serves me correctly, I'm sure the second was a Robbo lob that looked like it was going over only to drop into the net.

Thinking back, the United and Aberdeen sides were something else and we blew them away that season.

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although we were beaten 2~3 by Rangers the sight of Kevin Keegan playing for the Hearts in Alex McDonald's testimonial is a highlight of mine in the 80s,unfortunately the crowd's cries for him to sign for us got rubbered but if you don't ask you don't get.

Although we were beaten 2~3 by Rangers the sight of Kevin Keegan playing for the Hearts in Alex McDonald's testimonial is a highlight of mine in the 80s,unfortunately the crowd's cries for him to sign for us got rubbered but if you don't ask you don't get.

I just remember how well Keegan linked up with our players in the 45 minutes he played for us.  He, Robbo and MacKay seemed to be on the same wavelength almost immediately.  As impressed as I was at Keegan being able to fit into our team as if he'd played with us for ages, I was also impressed by how quickly Robbo and MacKay were able to anticipate Keegan's moves.

Kevin%20Keegan%20in%20Alex%20MacDonald%2

the  great man, with the other great man..

The job that man along with Sandy Jardine done at Tynecastle was superb, my all time favourite manager.

The job that man along with Sandy Jardine done at Tynecastle was superb, my all time favourite manager.

And the heart of the club was brought back thumping .

The early 80s from the late 70s passion was from dreamland for me.

To follow hearts through those years was magnificent.

Through the miners strike which was a factor in those passionate days .

But for me MacDonald and Jardine produced team after team which played for the badge.

Gutsy attacking just like the support.

Even when we numbered few.

Loved that i was the age i was and the friendships i made kept and lost.

In my life like you pivotal figures who saved hearts as much as foh and miss Budge.

If not more

Going into Top Sport with the auld boy pre-match to get trainers. Usually Adidas Kicks.

Yip me too forgot about that one good old adidas kicks

Absolute loved that shop

Def Rose street and focused on shoes mainly ..I think the shop run by the Indians was across the street from them.

Yip was rose street first pair of kickers from there

I just remember how well Keegan linked up with our players in the 45 minutes he played for us. He, Robbo and MacKay seemed to be on the same wavelength almost immediately. As impressed as I was at Keegan being able to fit into our team as if he'd played with us for ages, I was also impressed by how quickly Robbo and MacKay were able to anticipate Keegan's moves.

My opinion of Gary Mackay is that as a youngster he was up there with the best the SPL had to offer at the time.

Top player who was not out of place against any opposition.

My opinion of Gary Mackay is that as a youngster he was up there with the best the SPL had to offer at the time.

Top player who was not out of place against any opposition.

I agree. And the only Scottish player to be named Ireland's player of the year.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

Back when you didn't have to buy a new kit every bloody year!! 405076_295241630554821_1426088376_n_zpst

The top on the left should be hanging in the National Gallery such is its beauty.

Aye that was Willie Maltman, a store man in Ferranti.

i bought loads of those scratch card things off him and won bog all!

That name's a blast from the past. He was a grumpy sod whenever I went to get anything from stores, he really made me feel like I was putting him out.

Should've khitp.

queensferryjambo

Back when you didn't have to buy a new kit every bloody year!! 405076_295241630554821_1426088376_n_zpst

Except of course the one in the middle was only used 86/87 and the one on the right was only used 87/88 :tt2:

Same year as myself was at Robbie ave we had old Norrie

I started in 84, mech tech, and mind Norrie also. Funny as if he was off work as his wee storeroom got pillaged.

Except of course the one in the middle was only used 86/87 and the one on the right was only used 87/88 :tt2:

I do know that but it's the only photo I have of the Umbro top without a sponsor as I was waiting for someone saying "but we had Alexanders,Renault then Mitta on the front" so they're different.

Yip me too forgot about that one good old adidas kicks

Absolute loved that shop

What was the sports shop on princes street west? Was it sports connection? The one where the trainers were downstairs.

What was the sports shop on princes street west? Was it sports connection? The one where the trainers were downstairs.

Olympus

queensferryjambo

I do know that but it's the only photo I have of the Umbro top without a sponsor as I was waiting for someone saying "but we had Alexanders,Renault then Mitta on the front" so they're different.

Only kidding about mate :)

How cool would it be to have the team playing in a modern version of that strip paying homage to that Umbro era? With the silver away shirt as well.

:sweeet:

Aberdeen only had the 2 sections of the East Terracing that day. The 2 sections of the North Terracing, Hearts had 1 and at least 80 to 90% of the other section nearest the Aberdeen fans.

Think there was just over 62/63 Thousand in Hampden that day, correct me if im wrong here but im positive the only other attendance to better that before reconstruction was the ill fated 1988 semi final against the tinkers.

The Hearts v Celtic cup semi final in 1988 is the biggest crowd we have played in front of in the last 40 years. There was nearly 66,500 at the game. Immense atmosphere (horrific ending) as the clubs had a tremendous rivalry and played out some superb games over a 4 of 5 year period.

Before that our 1976 Cup Final defeat to Rangers saw a crowd of over 83,000.

For anyone who was at the Celtic game at Hampden in 1988 it's amazing to think that our 1956 Cup Final win over them was witnessed by pretty much exactly double the crowd!!! Over 133,000. Difficult to comprehend.

and Skol  :2thumbsup:

The Hearts v Celtic cup semi final in 1988 is the biggest crowd we have played in front of in the last 40 years. There was nearly 66,500 at the game. Immense atmosphere (horrific ending) as the clubs had a tremendous rivalry and played out some superb games over a 4 of 5 year period.

For anyone who was at the Celtic game at Hampden in 1988 it's amazing to think that our 1956 Cup Final win over them was witnessed by pretty much exactly double the crowd!!! Over 133,000. Difficult to comprehend.

I'm also sure the 76 Cup Final crowd has never been bettered either.

Compare the 76 and 79 Cup Final Attendances along with the 85/86 League Cup and Scottish Cup Finals.

Its a pity that for all they're hard work that between them, we won no silverware. However there were many memorable matches especially the European nights.

Its a pity that for all they're hard work that between them, we won no silverware. However there were many memorable matches especially the European nights.

I was at Inglston when we won the Tennant Soccer Sixes and for a few hours it felt like we'd actually won something at last.

I was there in 88 as a 14 year old.

It was an immense occasion as you say. I think it's fair to say we probably were just short of having half the attendance present. Maybe 29, 30,000?

Hampden seemed completely rammed and what a moment when we took the lead! Being just off the back of 86 and the disappointment the year before of losing to St Mirren, we dared to think it was at last our time.

Then the last few minutes disaster.....I'm not superstitious but I started to wonder if there actually was a hidden being making things happen against us. The ever reliable Henry Smith being the victim.

At the '88 semi, my memory is we were penned into 2 or 3 sections, it was so tightly packed folk kept going onto the steps to get a break only for Strathclyde's finest to try and lift you for blocking the way, when we scored it was utter bedlam, massive surge down the terracing, my missus was panicking, same when we all tried to leave at the end, I managed to lift up a wee laddie who'd tripped up on the walkway at the top and was getting stood on as we all pushed for the exit thoroughly p****d off. Went to work on the Monday and a Celtic fan colleague who'd been at the game said that day we were the noisiest support he'd heard including going to OF finals.

At the '88 semi, my memory is we were penned into 2 or 3 sections, it was so tightly packed folk kept going onto the steps to get a break only for Strathclyde's finest to try and lift you for blocking the way, when we scored it was utter bedlam, massive surge down the terracing, my missus was panicking, same when we all tried to leave at the end, I managed to lift up a wee laddie who'd tripped up on the walkway at the top and was getting stood on as we all pushed for the exit thoroughly p****d off. Went to work on the Monday and a Celtic fan colleague who'd been at the game said that day we were the noisiest support he'd heard including going to OF finals.

Your username reminded me off another 80's instititution...

Marcos on Grove Street;

Jackie Brown's boxfit class

Birthday party's up the stairs with all the balls etc.

The arcades through the back - Robocop, Chase HQ, Bubble Bobble and the World Cup football game with the balls you had to roll with the palm of your hand.

Similar memory of 88 semi, very very tightly crammed in and I remember the huge sway forward when we scored me and my mate ended up 20 yards away from where we'd been standing. Back in those days no one worried about the dangers of huge crowd surges.

Was a totally gut wrenching day.

When we played them in 2012 and they equalized it felt like 88 all over again, when we got the penalty I turned my back couldn't watch it so I never saw it hit the net. Have to be honest beating that filth at hampden in a cup eventually was quite emotional there were tears of joy and relief in my eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your username reminded me off another 80's instititution...

Marcos on Grove Street;

Jackie Brown's boxfit class

Birthday party's up the stairs with all the balls etc.

The arcades through the back - Robocop, Chase HQ, Bubble Bobble and the World Cup football game with the balls you had to roll with the palm of your hand.

my aunty worked at marco's so was a popular visit for us before home games.

I was at Inglston when we won the Tennant Soccer Sixes and for a few hours it felt like we'd actually won something at last.

I was allowed to stay up late on a school night to watch it on TV...

:verysmug:

my aunty worked at marco's so was a popular visit for us before home games.

The manager was a boy called Peter Hood. He ended up managing Clever Dicks and Dirty Dicks.

The speakers playing music of the radio on the LRT buses.

The grey bus tickets that had a wee man in a hat with 'Go By Bus' written on them

Shanks said no

I should read the whole of the thread before I post - yeah he was a proper Hearts man but he was also a proper pain in the arse if you were an apprentice and he was trying to take your (very low) wages every day off you and guilt tripping all the young guys if you didn't buy them :)

He was our storeman at South Gyle Training centre 1988.

Sure the first thing I heard every working morning for a year was 'are you Willie's pal today or no?' LOL :)

I was a Ferranti apprentice at Robertson Ave in 1981, I had completely forgotten about Willie, vague memories were coming back to me, mainly that I always tried to avoid him. Then I read those words and a shiver went down my spine!

At the top of Robertson Avenue was Johnny Hamilton's newsagents.

I was there in 88 as a 14 year old.

It was an immense occasion as you say. I think it's fair to say we probably were just short of having half the attendance present. Maybe 29, 30,000?

Hampden seemed completely rammed and what a moment when we took the lead! Being just off the back of 86 and the disappointment the year before of losing to St Mirren, we dared to think it was at last our time.

Then the last few minutes disaster.....I'm not superstitious but I started to wonder if there actually was a hidden being making things happen against us. The ever reliable Henry Smith being the victim.

I'm sure we only had the 2 sections in the West Terracing plus a section in the main stand, don't think we peaked the 15k for that game, a bit like the 2012 semi.

I'm sure we only had the 2 sections in the West Terracing plus a section in the main stand, don't think we peaked the 15k for that game, a bit like the 2012 semi.

I was there too. Right up the very back behind the goals. Was only 12 years old. Still not sure how my mum let me go with my pals!!

I also thought we had 30,000 there. Found the game on YouTube but it's hard to see where the fans are segregated.

Perhaps somebody else can have a go.

One memory from our last season in the old first division is turning up at Tynecastle then walking up to a complete stranger and muttering these words "Any chance of a lift over Mr"? And that was the start of my journey following the famous.

Nonsense. We had the whole West Terracing and half the North Enclosure plus some of the Main Stand. Easy 30,000.

The Tinkers are right up to the corner flag, we've got the 2 sections in the West Terrace.

Think there was maybe 15/18 k Hearts there.

Still not seen the full game since that day, like a few others that game hurt badly, 3 semi final defeats in 3 years took its toll, grrrrrrrr

I was also pished at that game. It's amazing what you can remember from nearly 30 years ago but can't remember where you put your  shoes last night !

Nonsense. We had the whole West Terracing and half the North Enclosure plus some of the Main Stand. Easy 30,000.

Aye right then... 65 thousand at the game, the Tinkers had 4 sections we had 2 plus a quarter of the main stand.

Aye right then... 65 thousand at the game, the Tinkers had 4 sections we had 2 plus a quarter of the main stand.

Looking at the vid it looks like we have one section beyond the roof then it's all Celtic fans

Looking at the vid it looks like we have one section beyond the roof then it's all Celtic fans

Definitely the Beggars in that section Mars '

Haven't seen a video of that game. Was sure we had some in North Enclosure. We were in rangers end.....packed in !

What I will say is we had more than 15k......and i'll put money on that !

Haven't seen a video of that game. Was sure we had some in North Enclosure. We were in rangers end.....packed in !

Of course we did. You have to remember the capacity of hampden in '88 was about 70 odd thousand. There's easily 20 odd thousand jambos behind the goals.

N Lincs Jambo

Just watched that back for the first time in almost 30 years. 66K seems about right and we probably had about 20K there. West Terrace was jammed, can't remember how many we had in main stand but north was total jungle jims. Was totally gutted about losing 2 in last 3 mins when I thought we had probably dodged a bullet.

Was living in Dundee at the time and went to the final standing on about the exact same spot of the west as at the semi. The c@nts did the exact same again to Utd in the final.

I too remember the battles where the buses were parked outside Parhead. It was mayhem, like guys have said, there were thousands of hearts fans going to away games then. Police couldn't cope with the sheer numbers involved, running battles, bricks, bottles the lot. If you were unlucky enough to go down you knew you would be in for a kicking as you would quickly be rounded upon by a mob of smelltics. You literally felt like you were fighting for your life. It wasn't any safer on the bus as loads of windows got done in.

Could you imagine if we had used mobile phones then, it would have been all over the media.

I still remember I wore my Duran Duran style little slip on shoes with white socks, not really ideal for your first football riot!

I remember that scum chasing us onto the buses after they won ffs. I remember having to hide underneath a bus when police horses ran at the crowds to try and scare everyone. We never caused trouble and even on the buses when they were leaving the buses got stones and bricks chucked at the windows. A terrifying place to go to at the time. Also remember tannadice being pretty bad also. Getting chased and having to hide in people's gardens. If nothing else at least I feel safer now as it was pretty brutal back in the mid to late 80's and even early 90's.

Archived