Even More SNP Nonsense

Stuart Lyon

I haven't seen the story anywhere else and I'm not giving that pish ?0.000001 click bait.

so your childish comments only confirm there is some mileage in the story.

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Space Mackerel

• deesidejambo

• Pans Jambo

• JamboX2

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Economic growth falling even further behind the rest of the UK, and now output is down too.

I'm sure the Scottish Government and First Minister are giving their full and undivided attention to addressing this :)

Space Mackerel

If deeside is around maybe he can comment on this?

9432467a76b146e87dab27880293fcbc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If deeside is around maybe he can comment on this?

9432467a76b146e87dab27880293fcbc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That will be the same INEOS who are lobbying for Fracking in Scotland?  Sounds like they are building up an empire here where they have some pretty big bargaining chips when it comes to lobbying the Scottish Government again to lift its Fracking ban.

Space Mackerel

That will be the same INEOS who are lobbying for Fracking in Scotland?  Sounds like they are building up an empire here where they have some pretty big bargaining chips when it comes to lobbying the Scottish Government again to lift its Fracking ban.

Why did they pay ?200 million for a pipeline if the oil is worthless though? Eh?

deesidejambo

Why did they pay ?200 million for a pipeline if the oil is worthless though? Eh?

I'm here but busy. Will respond when back although I may be pashed.

Maybe because they own Grangemouth and owning the pipeline to it makes sense?

I believe they are importing U.S. shale gas to refine at Grangemouth but Fracking locally sourced material would be more profitable.

Don't think anyone has ever suggested oil is worthless - what has been questioned is how much it is worth to the country. I'm sure INEOS will get good value for the ?200 million investment - how much money will that raise for either the UK/Scottish Government is a completely different matter.  

SwindonJambo

Spot on.  INEOS are owned by a canny and ruthless businessman called Jim Ratcliffe.  He has a long history of buying up oil related assets on the cheap when markets are depressed and reaping the benefits later.  He knows how to play the long game and does it very well.  Once he has sufficiently built up said empire he will lobby intensely to frack and the Government will likely cave.  Governments usually do when there's enough money to be made.  Look at the Scottish Government letting Trumpet Man build his Golf Course up near Aberdeen (resulting in several people being thrown out their homes) and the UK Government with its Arms Sales to oppressive regimes (which I oppose btw).

Sadly principles are always up for sale.

Growth in Scotland from Q4 2015 - Q4 2016 - 0%, UK has 1.9% growth.

Brexit to blame says the SNP - if that is the case, why is the UK doing ok?

Nationalists are so blind to the damage they are doing to the country they supposedly love

Maroon Sailor

Nationalists are so blind to the damage they are doing to the country they supposedly love

Not surprising when most of their votes come from the unwashed areas of Glasgow and Dundee

SwindonJambo

EU Share of Scotland's Exports : 16%

EU Share of UK Exports : 45%

Yet the UK has coped very well.  Brexit is the only thing that's changed so it's easy to blame it.

Space Mackerel

Maybe because they own Grangemouth and owning the pipeline to it makes sense?

I believe they are importing U.S. shale gas to refine at Grangemouth but Fracking locally sourced material would be more profitable.

Well, we've ****ed the air and the sea with pollution, suppose there's only the ground left now, may as well make it a full house.

Space Mackerel

That's not the King of Jordan. Great casual racism though.

What's racist about it, or, even casually racist?

A Nu Labour supporter sticking up for the right wing Torys.

And you wonder why you've dropped so low in the polls?

Seymour M Hersh

Why is the cult avoiding the latest economic figures?

It's the big bad tories fault. And Brexit. And the tories fault oh did we say that already?

Derek Mackay reckons that Scotland is doing worse than the rest of the UK because we have more information and are more aware of the damage Brexit will do to the Scottish economy

Maroon Sailor

Derek Mackay reckons that Scotland is doing worse than the rest of the UK because we have more information and are more aware of the damage Brexit will do to the Scottish economy

Derek Mackay is the biggest diddy of them all.

He actually said that? I feel embarrassed for him.

And he is supposed to be Finance Secretary.

He actually said that? I feel embarrassed for him.

And he is supposed to be Finance Secretary.

Yep, check out Reporting Scotland on iPlayer from last night. About 2:30 in

"Maybe the people of Scotland have had more information, awareness of the impact it is going to have on the Scottish economy"

Edited by Hasselhoff

deesidejambo

"Maybe the people of Scotland have had more information, awareness of the impact it is going to have on the Scottish economy"

That is laughable. What a choob.

SwindonJambo

That is a truly embarrassing response. UK as a whole does nearly half its trade with the EU yet has a buoyant economy with Scotland only 16% and if anything you'd expect the U.K. To take the bigger hit and it clearly hasn't.

He'd get much more respect by taking it on the chin, acknowledging that there are problems and setting out, even if only in outline, how he plans to address them.

jambo lodge

Mackay was on radio Scotland this morning.......lack of growth is all about Brexit, no mention of the threat that another Indy ref might be having on the economy. Deluded!!

Thunderstruck

There have been a number of articles in the media in the recent past that cite the uncertainty over a second referendum as a depressing factor for business. This is limiting business investment and therefore affecting jobs.

McKay must, at least, acknowledge the negative impact caused by the uncertainty surrounding a second referendum.

Thank goodness for the Royal Navy underpinning 15+% of Scotland's industrial output (and a not insignificant number of public sector jobs).

Mackay was on radio Scotland this morning.......lack of growth is all about Brexit, no mention of the threat that another Indy ref might be having on the economy. Deluded!!

I listened to that - he wouldn't answer half the questions.

It was all Brexit and the Tories fault despite the figures dating back to 2015.

doctor jambo

Daft Indy blogger from another country gets more in income than SLAB per annum. [emoji23]

68fb9db744654eef1e5853bfdef7c3f7.png

But less than Scientology, so proves what exactly?

I listened to that - he wouldn't answer ANY questions.

It was all Brexit and the Tories fault despite the figures dating back to 2015.

so that's who spaced oot is, hello Derek mackay.

What's racist about it, or, even casually racist?

A Nu Labour supporter sticking up for the right wing Torys.

And you wonder why you've dropped so low in the polls?

You have linked a picture of May meeting Saudis and passed it off as her meeting the King of Jordan. Who is not a Saudi.

Im defending no one. Merely calling you out on sharing false information.

I see the First Minister has been meeting noted tax avoiders Apple this week. See we can all play the blame game. What good it does is beyond me.

Edited by JamboX2

Surely these new economic figures simply show that the SNP administration is responsible for the parts it has control over.  I personally don't see it as an argument against independence, more an argument against the SNP running Scotland post-independence.

You have linked a picture of May meeting Saudis and passed it off as her meeting the King of Jordan. Who is not a Saudi.

Im defending no one. Merely calling you out on sharing false information.

I see the First Minister has been meeting noted tax avoiders Apple this week. See we can all play the blame game. What good it does is beyond me.

I always thought SM was referring to the Saudis in the initial post, tbh.  That's where the PM was, wasn't it?  It was you that brough up the King of Jordan.  Perhaps some crossed wires here?

deesidejambo

Surely these new economic figures simply show that the SNP administration is responsible for the parts it has control over.  I personally don't see it as an argument against independence, more an argument against the SNP running Scotland post-independence.

Depends if you think Scotland can support an ageing population of 5 million with the resources it has regardless of who governs it.

Depends if you think Scotland can support an ageing population of 5 million with the resources it has regardless of who governs it.

Of course we could, what it would look like on the other hand...

Given the announcements this week, it would seem that the UK can't, or rtaher won't, support that ageing population either.

deesidejambo

Of course we could, what it would look like on the other hand...

Given the announcements this week, it would seem that the UK can't, or rtaher won't, support that ageing population either.

Not sure 5 million can be supported.

The 5 million came about in the Central belt via labour-intensive industries such as shipbuilding, steel working, and mining, all of which are well on the wane.  Even oil up here is seeing significant ongoing redundancies.

The Navy jobs will go as will some Financial services which will move to London.

And RBS will reduce as the majority of its customers who are based in England will close their accounts as RBS would effectively become a foreign bank with no Govt underwriting of Accounts.

Thunderstruck

Surely these new economic figures simply show that the SNP administration is responsible for the parts it has control over. I personally don't see it as an argument against independence, more an argument against the SNP running Scotland post-independence.

We have discussed this before and, to an extent, you are correct - it is SNP incompetence or unwillingness to risk unpopularity (probably the same thing in any event).

The problem facing those favouring Independence is that only the SNP can pull the economic levers to demonstrate that Scotland can be a successful economy. They show absolutely no inclination to do that.

Asking voters to make a decision without any indication of how Health, Welfare, Education, Transport, Local Government, Pensions, Security, Policing and Defence would be funded let alone managed is verging on lunacy.

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

deesidejambo

We have discussed this before and, to an extent, you are correct - it is SNP incompetence or unwillingness to risk unpopularity (probably the same thing in any event).

The problem facing those favouring Independence is that only the SNP can pull the economic levers to demonstrate that Scotland can be a successful economy. They show absolutely no inclination to do that.

Asking voters to make a decision without any indication of how Health, Welfare, Education, Transport, Local Government, Pensions, Security, Policing and Defence would be funded let alone managed is verging on lunacy.

But who cares?

A significant percentage who vote for Indy just hate the Tories or the English, as demonstrated on this and other threads.  You think the people of Dundee and I suspect the east half of Glasgow did economic analyses before voting last time? 

That's for the politicians to work out after the event.  Do you really think that Scotland couldn't survive on its own?

The SNP would of course argue that some of the economic levers are controlled elsewhere, so not their fault.

But who cares?

A significant percentage who vote for Indy just hate the Tories or the English, as demonstrated on this and other threads.  You think the people of Dundee and I suspect the east half of Glasgow did economic analyses before voting last time? 

Pretty sure not that many of the elctorate do an economic anlysis before they vote.

That's for the politicians to work out after the event. Do you really think that Scotland couldn't survive on its own?

The SNP would of course argue that some of the economic levers are controlled elsewhere, so not their fault.

What about the here and now? It's always after the event, and a means to an end.

Unless of course you believe that making Scotland the highest taxed part of the UK, introducing division and uncertainty at every opportunity and overseeing declining standards in education ( her priority and what she wanted judged on, remember? ) is good for business? Or you don't care, I suppose.

This " it's always someone else's fault " isn't doing the collective national psyche any good IMO.

doctor jambo

It is in their interests to fail.

Making a success of devolution would equate to utter disaster for the SNP.

Perhaps this accounts for their current track record

doctor jambo

Pretty sure not that many of the elctorate do an economic anlysis before they vote.

I suspect their economic analysis is " who will give me more of other peoples money- I vote for them"

What about the here and now? It's always after the event, and a means to an end.

Unless of course you believe that making Scotland the highest taxed part of the UK, introducing division and uncertainty at every opportunity and overseeing declining standards in education ( her priority and what she wanted judged on, remember? ) is good for business? Or you don't care, I suppose.

This " it's always someone else's fault " isn't doing the collective national psyche any good IMO.

A couple of things....Ironically it is Westminster that has made Scotland the highest taxed part of the UK because they lowered the highest income tax rate.  Scotland chose not to follow, but it's not like the raised tax. (see race to the bottom).

Your spot on about education, the Government should be held to account.  As all governments should be.

Division and uncertainty at every opportunity?  Not really sure what you mean by that.  If you oppose a particular government, whatever they do will in some ways be divisive and create uncertainty, that's the vary nature of it, isn't it?  E.g. the current government in Westminster - Brexit (divisive, uncertainty) welfare cuts (divisive, uncertainty) etc etc etc

BTW, feel free to rail against the SNP government, it's really of no matter to me.  The hear and now is a perfect storm of Tory Westminster and a Scottish Government focussed on independence, although I still think they are doing the day job, maybe just not very well!

I suspect their economic analysis is " who will give me more of other peoples money- I vote for them"

I wasn't really talking about the Tories, tbf.

A couple of things....Ironically it is Westminster that has made Scotland the highest taxed part of the UK because they lowered the highest income tax rate.  Scotland chose not to follow, but it's not like the raised tax. (see race to the bottom).

I don't follow how it is Westminster that has made Scotland the highest taxed part of the UK when Scotland (SNP) made the final decision.

FWIW - I don't actually disagree with the SNPs choice but blaming Westminster for an SNP decision is just a cop out.

deesidejambo

I don't follow how it is Westminster that has made Scotland the highest taxed part of the UK when Scotland (SNP) made the final decision.

FWIW - I don't actually disagree with the SNPs choice but blaming Westminster for an SNP decision is just a cop out.

This. Blaming Westminster for an SNP decision is silly.

I also am happy to see taxes go up in fact I think the SNP missed an opportunity to differentiate Scotland.

But they bottled it. And now you blame Westminster. Again.

coconut doug

EU Share of Scotland's Exports : 16%

EU Share of UK Exports : 45%

Yet the UK has coped very well.  Brexit is the only thing that's changed so it's easy to blame it

Brexit is not the only thing that has changed, in fact it is the only thing that hasn't changed.

I don't follow how it is Westminster that has made Scotland the highest taxed part of the UK when Scotland (SNP) made the final decision.

This. Blaming Westminster for an SNP decision is silly.

I also am happy to see taxes go up in fact I think the SNP missed an opportunity to differentiate Scotland.

But they bottled it. And now you blame Westminster. Again.

Westminster lowered their highest rate of income tax which in turn makes Scotland higher taxed, if the Scottish Government doesn't follow suit. Why shouold the Scottish Government be duty bound to follow what Westminster does?

Taxes in Scotland have not risen.