Aberdeen's new stadium...

Buffalo Bill

Just now, indianajones said:

True but seems even more so in the past year or so. 

Stuck in the past.

Ahhh if its getting worse thats enjoyable. I tend to avoid speaking to Aberdeen fans full stop

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IveSeenTheLight

• Beast Boy

• sadj

• Mikey1874

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Construction costs are up 25% or thereabouts. Nobody is going to be building anything. Expect to be reading this pie in the sky proposal in 5 years time. Thank god we built our new stand when we did. Aberdeen, Dundee etc are Donald ducked

10 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

If Aberdeen hold out for the out of town site then they lose an ally and a lot of goodwill. 

Which could hurt them if they ever hit problems in the future. 

Having the Council on side was certainly helpful a times down the years for Hearts. 

very true. We have some very good friends in high places. 

Their current stadium isn't worth much, over surplus of homes in the area, existing houses prices have dropped like a stone.

Their generation of glory hunting fans are starting to pass on, I would be seriously worried about the state of the club in 15-20 years.

davemclaren
3 hours ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Best stadium in the Championship at this rate.:lol:

Good. **** them. 

They’ve escaped relegation a few times due to reconstruction or other clubs failing to meet stadium rules iirc. This could be their time perhaps. 

47 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

They’ve escaped relegation a few times due to reconstruction or other clubs failing to meet stadium rules iirc. This could be their time perhaps. 

St Johnstone win, and they get beaten by Dundee then the skids are under them. They seem to be a team without bottle or desire these days.

Unknown user
3 hours ago, Deevers said:

St Johnstone win, and they get beaten by Dundee then the skids are under them. They seem to be a team without bottle or desire these days.

They just called him Jim Badloss on the radio 😆

5 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Would be sweet and well deserved. They've dodged several bullets and also benefitted from not spending on infrastructure like most clubs. 

On 21/04/2022 at 11:51, NANOJAMBO said:

My reading of the Cormack statement is that they are/were going for a state of the art stadium within the budget available to them. So, there should be room for compromise but reducing the spec of the stadium might mean losing out on the additional revenue they thought they'd get (not sure what he means here : hospitality ? concerts ?)

There's no way they're building this stadium in the near future : Covid has pushed the price of everything through the roof so expect another couple of years delay IMO. At least. 

They will need to be very careful with the events to raise additional revenue. Theyve built the p&J which is a 7min drive (4.4miles) up the bypass from Kingsford. You are going to get very few big acts to play a wee stadium in the countryside as opposed to playing at the p&j. Even logistically getting fans there will be hard enough so trying to get event attendees there will cause similar issues. 

Jambo_jim2001

I'm sure they can pick up a decent sheep pen on flea bay...75 freaking million, imagine the team that could buy😳 knowing them though would probably buy 11 duds😂

indianajones

Financial insanity if they start building a stadium just now. 

As said above, it's a total fantasy but Aberdeen fans are used to that mindset. 

Jim Cannywin is a brilliant appointment apparently. 

Hungry hippo
24 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Did the Dons stiff HBOS as well as part of one of their previous deby restructures of was that just the vermin? 

I don't think Aberdeen did.

4 hours ago, Hungry hippo said:

I don't think Aberdeen did.

Yeah, maybe not, I seem to remember there being another team who did around same time as Hibs, can't remember who though

Just now, Poseidon said:

Yeah, maybe not, I seem to remember there being another team who did around same time as Hibs, can't remember who though

Dundee United I think

Just now, Poseidon said:

Yeah, I looked it up and you are right. 

I think there was something with Aberdeen too but i can not remember all the details

FarmerTweedy
On 20/04/2022 at 22:37, 1971fozzy said:

november 2016 🤣 It’s 2022. Have feeling this thread will be going on come 2026

In the year twenty five twenty five...

10 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I think there was something with Aberdeen too but i can not remember all the details

There was, WM Donald paid off debt to get a share of the club and Milne and someone else converted their debt to equity. Wasn't totally clear if the bank debt was paid in full, fairly sure it wasn't but can't find the exact details

FarmerTweedy
On 21/04/2022 at 04:17, Section Q said:

Thanks for that.

Agree Aberdeen badly needs regeneration. Can also see council's point in wanting the new stadium to be part of the city. The length of time it's taken to get to this stage must also have been a factor in blow out costs. Our new stand was discussed/agreed/planned/built, in a fraction of this time. Shows what can happen when fans/club/council, all work together.

I sometimes wonder if the whole out of town thing has primarily been intended to pressure Aberdeen City Council into giving them generous grants, an easy ride with planning, etc, to keep them within the city.  It's the sort of thing that happens regularly in US sport, with teams moving (or threatening to, at least) outside the city authority's boundaries, or even to an entirely new city, in exchange for grants and/or tax breaks.

It would probably seem a very normal thing to do for someone like Cormack. 

Just caught up with sportscene. Oh my god that Aberdeen support v Livingston 😱😱 I know they are bottom 6 and have a crap home support anyway but that is brutal. Apathy isn’t the word. That club is in dire straits. They call Jim Goodwin  a new name Jim Badloss 🤣🤣 Huge rebuild for him (if they stay up that is).  What’s happened @IveSeenTheLight

On 23/11/2016 at 16:18, IveSeenTheLight said:

The majority of the fans are quite optimistic about it.

We are concerned about the finance.

In reality, if it happens, were looking at 2021 before were there.

Any bricks been put down yet?

Unknown user
1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

Any bricks been put down yet?

Dick Gordon was certainly "putting down" a couple over the weekend, he kens they're in a relegation battle

Love seeing clubs like Aberdeen back where they should be. 

They were getting far too big for their boots, and with the numbers in the stands drastically on the decline the only way is down for them.

Proper shitehouse fanbase who only support their team when they're doing half decent, a bit like Hibs.

Just shows the difference with us V Hibs and Aberdeen. We still supported our club during the shite times of relelvarion, admin and when the football wasn’t all the pretty. Reaping the rewards now though. 

Aberdeen being a one city club should be particularly ashamed of their support. A big, relatively wealthy city at that. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Just shows the difference with us V Hibs and Aberdeen. We still supported our club during the shite times of relelvarion, admin and when the football wasn’t all the pretty. Reaping the rewards now though. 

Aberdeen being a one city club should be particularly ashamed of their support. A big, relatively wealthy city at that. 

Not all did. 

A good fair few on here chucked it. 

Went right in the creme puff. 

Cormack, Nelms, and Gordon all conspired in their own individual ways to harm us during covid, any bad Karma that pays them a visit is fine by me, reap what you sow.

Never forget, only Hearts.

Where's the resident Aberdeen fan that was all over this board when we were doing crap? Not seen or heard from him in months. I hope he's wallowing in misery and that Aberdeen get sucked into a play off spot and go down. 

kingantti1874
3 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

it’s not a wealthy city now.  Far from it

49 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

£14 million the training ground cost according to Andrew McKinlay last night. 

He's visiting today. 

My biggest issue with us moving out of Oriam would be expansion of the green disease from the west setting up an East coast centre there

kingantti1874
4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

My biggest issue with us moving out of Oriam would be expansion of the green disease from the west setting up an East coast centre there

We should continue to rent as long as costs are ok.  training grounds are not worth the investment. 

2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

We should continue to rent as long as costs are ok.  training grounds are not worth the investment. 

McKinley has previously suggested we'd be looking for our own as at certain times of the year the SRU take over and we have no access to full size indoor pitches etc. 

3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I am not convinced either mate but apparently that is what the guys that use it want .................. I really do not want Celtic having some kind of presence at our end of our city either

upgotheheads
1 hour ago, PapaShango said:

Where's the resident Aberdeen fan that was all over this board when we were doing crap? Not seen or heard from him in months. I hope he's wallowing in misery and that Aberdeen get sucked into a play off spot and go down. 

A bit harsh on I've Seen The Light imo, he wasn't the gloating type, but he has been quiet.

jamboinglasgow
5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I am not convinced either mate but apparently that is what the guys that use it want .................. I really do not want Celtic having some kind of presence at our end of our city either

I must have missed that this is something Celtic want to do.

1 minute ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I must have missed that this is something Celtic want to do.

Apparently although I read it on here so make of that what you will

1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

A bit harsh on I've Seen The Light imo, he wasn't the gloating type, but he has been quiet.

Suppose he has an awful lot to be quiet about...

kingantti1874
2 hours ago, Sooks said:

We can’t stop them really

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

It could be possible is they rent Oriam for 2 or 3 nights a week. Allows them to operate a 2nd Academy structure for player evaluation but I don't think its cost effective to have a full time base in the capital.

Celtic are in the process of having Barrowfield torn apart and completely redeveloped for their youth Academy. This would make Lennoxtown their mens team, women's team and u21 (reserve) home whilst all other football operations are carried out in the community around Barrowfield. This makes a lot of sense and is good from a marketing perspective. 

2 hours ago, Poseidon said:

at certain times of the year the SRU take over and we have no access to full size indoor pitches etc. 

I don't fully understand this idea for a couple of reasons:

What are we doing in the indoor arena that can't be done on the external pitches (either grass or the synthetic surface) ? 

The academy & infrastructure existed without the Oriam part for years, I don't understand how scheduling around a handful of rugby games causes issues ?

If the indoor arena pitch is required then it seems unreasonable not to find a way to schedule around things.

Not doubting your comment, just find it bizarre if true.

2 hours ago, Poseidon said:

McKinley has previously suggested we'd be looking for our own

2nd post on this - paying out millions for a training centre due to a conflict on facilities use a few times a year doesn't really make sense. 

Arguable there's a solution to be found where Hearts may have to move scheduling around or pay costs for the SRU if equipment needs to be moved in/out of the indoor arena between sessions. It seems a bit mad to be actively pursuing a move away (unless it's a negotiating point). 

21 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

2nd post on this - paying out millions for a training centre due to a conflict on facilities use a few times a year doesn't really make sense. 

Arguable there's a solution to be found where Hearts may have to move scheduling around or pay costs for the SRU if equipment needs to be moved in/out of the indoor arena between sessions. It seems a bit mad to be actively pursuing a move away (unless it's a negotiating point). 

Can’t help but think with the FOH it’s a bit of vanity project so to speak.

There’s always the next project/idea that they can spend money on.
Keeps them busy. 

42 minutes ago, droid said:

Can’t help but think with the FOH it’s a bit of vanity project so to speak.

There’s always the next project/idea that they can spend money on.
Keeps them busy. 

It's an investment.

The training facility is a stadium, community facilities and other income generation. 

Same as that other 'vanity project' on McLeod Street.

Edited by Mikey1874