Aberdeen's new stadium...

Buffalo Bill

scott herbertson
18 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Quite possibly, but certainly you would not announce before getting in as much investment as possible to deleverage any risk of your own investment.

There have been a few rumours of Milne wishing to leave a legacy and I also recall reading / hearing somewhere Milne saying the stadium build will not impact the clubs operating costs.

Where did you get the £43M from? That would suggest at present a £7M mortgage

Dave Cormack (recently sold his company for circa £567M) and Stewart Milne (nett worth reported as being circa £150M) could invest £15M each (a small fraction of their wealth) to take a 25% portion of the developments value.”

I think you are treating the potential for rich ‘fans’ to ‘invest’ as you put it  too lightly.

Any wealthy person ‘investing’ their money expects a return on it - I am not seeing how you quantify that or expect to pay it back. The development will have no value to an investor unless it is returning a profit through revenue (dividends) which would be nothing short of miraculous IMO or they are investing for its sell on value (very dubious I find it going to stay a football ground) or (most likely) they make a profit on a repayment of their investment (a loan) while holding security on the asset.

Even with the good scenarios Hearts and Hibs have with Budge (£2.5million) and Farmer (£5million) the amounts are small but payback from the club is a big factor limiting investment on the playing side. For £30 million the payback would cripple the club unless there is some very favourable deal.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IveSeenTheLight

• Beast Boy

• sadj

• Mikey1874

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On ‎23‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 16:40, IveSeenTheLight said:

It's not worth getting into a debate about attendances, however given you have asked

NK SIROKI BRIJEG - Att: 17,067

APOLLON LIMASSOL - Att: 20,085

HAMILTON ACADEMICAL - Att: 15,165

DUNDEE FC - Att: 15,646

KILMARNOCK FC - Att: 15,037

HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN - Att: 18,371

Remember, we report attendances, not seats sold.

I know of season ticket holders where seats are sold, but not attended some games for various reasons

How do you know how many fans attend - do you have someone counting them through the sheep dip at the entrance????

Its the stuff of pure fantasy and not much else.

When the debate was about the transportation of fans from the ground afterwards, the response from Leyenda was 'aye but its fine cos we'll just build a train station eh'.

Now that the debate has turned to the £30m funding gap, we've got ISTL stating 'aye but £30m is ONLY (LOL) £15m each for Milne and Cormack. They'll give us that no bother'

Its delusion on an almost Hibernianesque scale.

52 minutes ago, Ryder said:

B0113185-1763-4636-A809-587C404C28AE.png

and I had my input, why the need for an anal response in child like letters you boring *****

3 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Dave Cormack (recently sold his company for circa £567M) and Stewart Milne (nett worth reported as being circa £150M) could invest £15M each (a small fraction of their wealth) to take a 25% portion of the developments value.”

I think you are treating the potential for rich ‘fans’ to ‘invest’ as you put it  too lightly.

Any wealthy person ‘investing’ their money expects a return on it - I am not seeing how you quantify that or expect to pay it back. The development will have no value to an investor unless it is returning a profit through revenue (dividends) which would be nothing short of miraculous IMO or they are investing for its sell on value (very dubious I find it going to stay a football ground) or (most likely) they make a profit on a repayment of their investment (a loan) while holding security on the asset.

Even with the good scenarios Hearts and Hibs have with Budge (£2.5million) and Farmer (£5million) the amounts are small but payback from the club is a big factor limiting investment on the playing side. For £30 million the payback would cripple the club unless there is some very favourable deal.

Stewart Milne is as tight as a drum!  Fact!!

scott herbertson
2 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

I used to be involved in trying to get investment into a big leisure project and all the ‘high wealth individuals’  we approached were tight as drums. That’s usually how they got their money.....

IveSeenTheLight
2 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

My suggestion was that they are essentially investing in the land.

Its a long term investment and there is a very long and extensive examples of land procurement.

Indeed it could be a way of transferring nett value by way of a will to family members without them incurring inheritance or SDLT tax.

IveSeenTheLight
5 minutes ago, Erik said:

Its the stuff of pure fantasy and not much else.

When the debate was about the transportation of fans from the ground afterwards, the response from Leyenda was 'aye but its fine cos we'll just build a train station eh'.

Now that the debate has turned to the £30m funding gap, we've got ISTL stating 'aye but £30m is ONLY (LOL) £15m each for Milne and Cormack. They'll give us that no bother'

Its delusion on an almost Hibernianesque scale.

It was speculative hypothesis.

Another has indicated they expect to achieve £43M leaving only £7M as the debt.

Its important to understand the context of the discussion ;)

Seymour M Hersh
4 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

He's an Aberdonian! And we all know that copper wire was invented by two of them fighting over a penny! :thumbsup:

scott herbertson
Just now, IveSeenTheLight said:

My suggestion was that they are essentially investing in the land.

Its a long term investment and there is a very long and extensive examples of land procurement.

Indeed it could be a way of transferring nett value by way of a will to family members without them incurring inheritance or SDLT tax.

But the land will have very little value if a football stadium sits on it. When Robinson wanted to sell Tynecastle, and when Milne wants to sell Aberdeen for that matter, they can talk up the value because the value is of development land. Having a football stadium on it reduces its value to virtually zero, as there is no money to made from its potential resale, and its almost impossible to sell off football stadia (unless you can persuade the fans)

so I don’t buy that any investor would put a significant value on the land

8 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

and I had my input, why the need for an anal response in child like letters you boring *****

:lol:

4 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

It was speculative hypothesis.

Another has indicated they expect to achieve £43M leaving only £7M as the debt.

Its important to understand the context of the discussion ;)

Speculative hypothesis?

Haha! Utter conjecture more like.

15 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

I can see a scenario where things go tits up and they end up tenants. 

scott herbertson

When I lived in Aberdeen in the 1979/80 season when they won the league a big event was the student charity day ‘Flag day’

a cheeky postcard which I remembered seeing supports my contention that the Aberdeen’s millionaires will be slow to part with their cash

E2FC9B9C-A109-478B-89D0-231317AA207C.jpeg

1 hour ago, La_Leyenda said:

What an infantile response. 

Mate, even the club don't project we'll be debt free once it's built. They believe they can raise £43m, so we will have a debt/mortgage afterwords.

Finally some logic , love how theres two of you on the same page one who can be logical (ill give you a pass on the rail link?) and one who thinks theres an agenda cause you point out flaws in their position. Thank you for the eatery reply aswell. I dont pay a huge amount of attention to Westhill but only knew of the chippy , Holiday Inn and Broadstraik. Been to Garlogie but had no idea how that was feasible for fans before a game. 

Where does the £43 million come from that they forsee themselves raising? So assuming say a 10million overspend on a project that size thats £17million debt. (do Aberdeen have any debt at the moment?) Would that be funded by a bank or privately? Id assume banks are not going to lend football clubs anything unless its secured? 

Is the need for onsite training facilities a purey financial thing as I understood it was a crucial part of the need for Kingsford. 

15 minutes ago, Ryder said:

I can see a scenario where things go tits up and they end up tenants. 

That seems as feasible as the best “hypothesis”

26 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

But the land will have very little value if a football stadium sits on it. When Robinson wanted to sell Tynecastle, and when Milne wants to sell Aberdeen for that matter, they can talk up the value because the value is of development land. Having a football stadium on it reduces its value to virtually zero, as there is no money to made from its potential resale, and its almost impossible to sell off football stadia (unless you can persuade the fans)

so I don’t buy that any investor would put a significant value on the land

I agree. It’s either a gift and/or a loan of some sort. The only way to realise the land asset is to knock down the stadium and use it for something else. 

Rather them than us, but fair play to ISTL, I enjoy his contributions to this thread and it'll be interesting to see how it all develops. There's no doubt that Pittodrie is a poor stadium, certainly on three sides.

I still think that it's strange that there isn't an indoor facility on the proposed new training ground; not even something as modest as the one in the picture below.

Image result for full size indoor football pitch

10 minutes ago, Buffalo Bill said:

Rather them than us, but fair play to ISTL, I enjoy his contributions to this thread and it'll be interesting to see how it all develops. There's no doubt that Pittodrie is a poor stadium, certainly on three sides.

I still think that it's strange that there isn't an indoor facility on the proposed new training ground; not even something as modest as the one in the picture below.

East Mains?

1 hour ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Quite possibly, but certainly you would not announce before getting in as much investment as possible to deleverage any risk of your own investment.

There have been a few rumours of Milne wishing to leave a legacy and I also recall reading / hearing somewhere Milne saying the stadium build will not impact the clubs operating costs.

Where did you get the £43M from? That would suggest at present a £7M mortgage

It's in the stadium application when they are comparing the costs of a joint facility at Kingsford  to splitting it into two sites.

They had a table detailing how much they believe they can raise from the sale of Pittodrie, selling the naming rights, private investment and a share issue. They said £43m, leaving a £7m debt, but they would still run at a profit and would be able to pay off the mortgage/interest.

That was compared to building a training ground at Kingsford but the having the stadium at Loirston. Can't remember what the debt was, but they believed that with the mortgage/interest being higher they would be running at a loss each year. 

55 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

When I lived in Aberdeen in the 1979/80 season when they won the league a big event was the student charity day ‘Flag day’

a cheeky postcard which I remembered seeing supports my contention that the Aberdeen’s millionaires will be slow to part with their cash

E2FC9B9C-A109-478B-89D0-231317AA207C.jpeg

You can see the tram tracks in that top picture. Shame they didn't keep those. I hear they're all the rage in some cities these days.

On the train thing, I don't think I ever said they could or should build a train station at Kingsford (if I did it would have been "maybe one day in the future" type of thing, certainly not in time for it opening). I think what I said was they are dualling the Inverness to Aberdeen line, rebuilding Kintore and Cove stations, and planning to have more regular Inverness to Stonehaven services as the council want to increase train use in Aberdeen. If they did that you could link shuttle buses to Dyce, then fans could board a train for an alternative route to the city centre, and it would mean fans in the likes of Inverurie could get a direct link to stadium rather than go to the city centre first. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, bigcoll said:

So a spanking new 35000 all singing all dancing new stadium out by the airport, or the Dalkeith by pass or somewhere, shared with them, v. what we have now?  

No contest for me :smile:

Me neither, but I can still see the benifits of such a scenario if it came to pass.

Section G The Place To Be
2 hours ago, Ryder said:

Yes, it would. At the moment however 3/5 of the proposed building costs are unknown, and being flippantly written off as an investment opportunity for benevolent philanthropists. As I said, if you are cool with that, then that’s great. I would be having kittens myself.

The key key word being used is ‘Investment’ 

IF the directors or anyone was to Invest, it would only be a loan. What happens whe at some

point they or a family member or company decide they want their £10million or whatever back. Or will this “Investment” actually be interest free loans which Aberdeen will start paying back right away. ? 

I think pinning his his hopes on maybe several wealthy investors to cover £30 million or so is extremely wishful/hopeful thinking and not very likely. 

2 minutes ago, Section G The Place To Be said:

IF the directors or anyone was to Invest, it would only be a loan. What happens whe at some

point they or a family member or company decide they want their £10million or whatever back. Or will this “Investment” actually be interest free loans which Aberdeen will start paying back right away. ? 

I think pinning his his hopes on maybe several wealthy investors to cover £30 million or so is extremely wishful/hopeful thinking and not very likely. 

Precisely. What exactly is in it for the investors? 

7 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Precisely. What exactly is in it for the investors? 

The only thing you can think is if they own a company they would get advertising, free or discounted hospitality or debentures. The last two would be at the clubs expense. Apart from that there’s really not much. They are not going to give their money away for nothing that’s for sure. Aberdeen FC at some point will need to pay them back whether through a repayment agreement or the investor eventually asks for it. Either way it is a loan. He can dress it up any way he likes. But it’s a huge noose round a club like Aberdeen’s neck. 

Edited by Section G The Place To Be

30 minutes ago, Buffalo Bill said:

That actually looks like its a greenhouse wi astro put down. Wheres that? 

scott herbertson
25 minutes ago, La_Leyenda said:

It's in the stadium application when they are comparing the costs of a joint facility at Kingsford  to splitting it into two sites.

They had a table detailing how much they believe they can raise from the sale of Pittodrie, selling the naming rights, private investment and a share issue. They said £43m, leaving a £7m debt, but they would still run at a profit and would be able to pay off the mortgage/interest.

That was compared to building a training ground at Kingsford but the having the stadium at Loirston. Can't remember what the debt was, but they believed that with the mortgage/interest being higher they would be running at a loss each year. 

You can see the tram tracks in that top picture. Shame they didn't keep those. I hear they're all the rage in some cities these days.

On the train thing, I don't think I ever said they could or should build a train station at Kingsford (if I did it would have been "maybe one day in the future" type of thing, certainly not in time for it opening). I think what I said was they are dualling the Inverness to Aberdeen line, rebuilding Kintore and Cove stations, and planning to have more regular Inverness to Stonehaven services as the council want to increase train use in Aberdeen. If they did that you could link shuttle buses to Dyce, then fans could board a train for an alternative route to the city centre, and it would mean fans in the likes of Inverurie could get a direct link to stadium rather than go to the city centre first. 

That £43m is a big ask - I’d guess the biggest investment raised in Scottish football ever if inflation is t taken into account (Celtic Park cost £40m), to put it into context.

Good luck to you with it.

my one piece of advice would be that whatever supporters organisations you have should get in early with some searching questions on finance and governance before the die is cast.

in fact we could lend you a couple of kickbackers who I absolutely guarantee would ask every possible question!

::troll::

1 hour ago, sadj said:

Finally some logic , love how theres two of you on the same page one who can be logical (ill give you a pass on the rail link?) and one who thinks theres an agenda cause you point out flaws in their position. Thank you for the eatery reply aswell. I dont pay a huge amount of attention to Westhill but only knew of the chippy , Holiday Inn and Broadstraik. Been to Garlogie but had no idea how that was feasible for fans before a game. 

Where does the £43 million come from that they forsee themselves raising? So assuming say a 10million overspend on a project that size thats £17million debt. (do Aberdeen have any debt at the moment?) Would that be funded by a bank or privately? Id assume banks are not going to lend football clubs anything unless its secured? 

Is the need for onsite training facilities a purey financial thing as I understood it was a crucial part of the need for Kingsford. 

I noticed everyone is quoting a figure of 50mill before a spade has broke ground we were 2mill over budget just for one stand, probably more once the hospitality suites are done,Iwould think unless it's another shiny echodome and not state of the art the more realistic figure would be nearer 70-100mill IMO

3 hours ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Give a link for your reported £50M

Give a link that says you get 100% of the sale price when you only had a 10% stake!

It's actually easy to verify if you want to - I did a quick search there that shows cormack became CEO in 2005, so it's never been owned by him, although he ran it.

As I said, 70% went to the investment company that owned the majority, the remaining 30 was for management, of which he was one. 

Ask on talkingsheep.com if you must, this isn't a secret

queensferryjambo

If Aberdeen are going to build a new stadium then good on them. 

Hopefully this will give the away fans somewhere decent to sit as it really has been crap up there since we stopped getting the beach end.  

Surely a team trying to better their facilities is a good thing for everyone.

10 hours ago, Alva-Jambo said:

I want Aberdeen to be a strong and successful club near the top of the league,

so I wish them well with their plans for the new stadium. 

I'd rather if we are not second, Aberdeen was. 

Of course, I wish Hearts to gub them every possible match. 

But the country needs strong clubs, as does this league, not a two horse weegie club, 

and lets see the Arabs club back asap. P

Never been near a two horse race for years.

Hope their stadium works out for them but I just cannot see a new stadium making any team in the SPL good enough to challenge Celtic.

6 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

I noticed everyone is quoting a figure of 50mill before a spade has broke ground we were 2mill over budget just for one stand, probably more once the hospitality suites are done,Iwould think unless it's another shiny echodome and not state of the art the more realistic figure would be nearer 70-100mill IMO

I would imagine the 50million is a tight strict budget. Inflation , rising costs in the industry , a depreciating pound , brexit , interest rates could all be big variables before you start. However I was being nice and saying 10million over would be 20% which is quite conservative. There is plenty scope for it to be over a 50% increase in costs. None of these fears would matter if there was an open and transparent attitude toward the funding as opposed to we think we can raise this and we think we can do that and we think this person might do that. Its a huge undertaking for a club in Scotland that would appear from the outside to be as accurate in its info and forecasting as piemans we must leave Tynie. 

3 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

Hopefully this will give the away fans somewhere decent to sit as it really has been crap up there since we stopped getting the beach end.  

I'm in agreement but I think the figures forecasted about the cost of a stadium plus training facilities are totally wishful thinking

55 minutes ago, Section G The Place To Be said:

The only thing you can think is if they own a company they would get advertising, free or discounted hospitality or debentures. The last two would be at the clubs expense. Apart from that there’s really not much. They are not going to give their money away for nothing that’s for sure. Aberdeen FC at some point will need to pay them back whether through a repayment agreement or the investor eventually asks for it. Either way it is a loan. He can dress it up any way he likes. But it’s a huge noose round a club like Aberdeen’s neck. 

So if ISTL is correct, and they have £30m to find from ‘investors’, and it’s these American guys and Milne, a 50/50 split of investment is £15m each. 

£15m nvestment for advertising space? Hmmmmm... something tells me that’s a pretty generous investment with not a huge return. They could advertise to more people for less money than that through another form of sponsorship. TV ads wouldn’t cost them that much for example.

Very sceptical about all of this tbh.

queensferryjambo
Just now, buzzbomb1958 said:

I'm in agreement but I think the figures forecasted about the cost of a stadium plus training facilities are totally wishful thinking

Yeah hopefully it will impact on their budgets for their team and we can sit in their comfy new stadium and pump them stupid :)

3 minutes ago, Ryder said:

So if ISTL is correct, and they have £30m to find from ‘investors’, and it’s these American guys and Milne, a 50/50 split of investment is £15m each. 

£15m nvestment for advertising space? Hmmmmm... something tells me that’s a pretty generous investment with not a huge return. They could advertise to more people for less money than that through another form of sponsorship. TV ads wouldn’t cost them that much for example.

To be fair, we have one or more ‘secret’ benefactors but the Aberdeen stadium requires a much higher level of generosity. 

6 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

It is a good thing but there is flaws in things as highlighted. I dont think any of this amounts to jealousy , although maybe some banter ?

Do you go to Pittodrie? Do you drive or walk are you prepared to travel what in poor weather can be easily an hour out to Westhill to watch a game. If Rangers or Celtic or Hearts visit during the week you’d imagine extra trains being laid on as last ones may be missed just getting back from the ground. The city centre leisure economy in Aberdeen may suffer as its pulled out of town. The costs seem fanciful to stick to and funding seems guessed as in where it will come from. 

I said pages ago a strong Aberdeen as long as they get pumped by us in every game is a good thing but the variable that seem to be not fully addressed mean it could go two ways. Theres a lot of support up here from dons fans but also support against it for the reasons above. Id also imagine as 95% of councillors are self servant the ins and outs are not necessarily their primary concern. 

5 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

To be fair, we have one or more ‘secret’ benefactors but the Aberdeen stadium requires a much higher level of generosity. 

Very well made point. The level of generosity required is is easily 7x that of ours. Thats if costs end up accurate. In a declining economy that is a massive thing to guesstimate and pin your future on.

scott herbertson
4 minutes ago, sadj said:

Very well made point. The level of generosity required is is easily 7x that of ours. Thats if costs end up accurate. In a declining economy that is a massive thing to guesstimate and pin your future on.

It is, though to be fair there are some very high wealth individuals up there. If I was a fan I would just want to reassure myself of any investors best intentions before going ‘all in’ on any proposal though.

2 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

It is, though to be fair there are some very high wealth individuals up there. If I was a fan I would just want to reassure myself of any investors best intentions before going ‘all in’ on any proposal though.

There is indeed very high wealth individuals. But most by nature wont hand those kind of sums over without an investment opportunity. As a fan thats exactly it the reassurance needs to be more than “dont worry folks weve got it in hand” 

13 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

As you said yourself, rich people generally don’t ger rich by being generous. ?

scott herbertson
1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

As you said yourself, rich people generally don’t ger rich by being generous. ?

Yes. But if I was an Aberdeen supporter I’d be looking for a richer Budge type to provide funding and leadership.

For example I’d be looking for Milne to find someone willing to take over ownership contingent on providing finance for the new ground with scope for the fans to provide repayments which would give the new owner some return.

i would be wary of all this being done between rich business people behind the scenes.

Stephen Muddie

I'd prefer from a Scottish football perspective that they rebuilt Pittodrie. They keep saying reasons why they can't but I think it'd be interesting to see the footprint in relation to Tynecastle park. We show what can be done on a limited site. 

As a Hearts supporter I would prefer they move out of town because I can't see them doing any better than they are currently. Certainly cannot see their core support surviving a move 

47 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Exactly. If ISTL is to be believed then £30m worth of generosity... Ours are benefactors  too, not “investors”. :unsure:

10 minutes ago, Stephen Muddie said:

I'd prefer from a Scottish football perspective that they rebuilt Pittodrie. They keep saying reasons why they can't but I think it'd be interesting to see the footprint in relation to Tynecastle park. We show what can be done on a limited site. 

As a Hearts supporter I would prefer they move out of town because I can't see them doing any better than they are currently. Certainly cannot see their core support surviving a move 

One stand at a time, as the funds are raised, at Pittodrie. That’s the way I’d feel most comfortable with all of this... if I was of the mutton interfering persuasion.

2 hours ago, Section G The Place To Be said:

Indeed mate. Obviously, if it is this big philanthropic gesture that ISTL and LaLaLanda insist it is, then WOW! What a score that is! ... All I am saying is, if that was Hearts, my arsehole would be quivering so much, it would look like it was whistling Dixie. 

2 hours ago, Ryder said:

East Mains?

2 hours ago, sadj said:

That actually looks like its a greenhouse wi astro put down. Wheres that? 

It's Telford College in Shropshire.

I was looking for a pic of a most basic looking facility; something Aberdeen don't seem to need in one of the coldest parts of mainland UK.

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Our benefactors are not pumping In £30 million quid at a time in one go though. There is no way Aberdeen will find a benefactor giving that amount of cash even several is not going to happen. The best they can no hope for is a loan from wealthy businessman who will at some point want it back. If they are very lucky it will be interest free, which I would doubt will happen, even AB is taking an interest on the very much smaller amount she put in to Hearts, and she is a fan. As someone has said. Rich people don’t become rich by giving their money away. 

1 hour ago, Ryder said:

Exactly.

Im very sceptical about this whole thing as well. We could never sustain or support that much debt, how are a club like Aberdeen going to? It’s just not possible for them.