New Stand: Ongoing work (updated)

Clerry Jambo

maroonlegions

That's just the join between sections. The ends are closed.

Thats it, Greenfingered will be down taking photos and firing them off to the cooncil claiming health and safety breaches. :nozal:

Strange to think that the Wheatfield Stand truss was pink for the first few years before it was eventually sun-bleached white.

You can see it here from 4:48

The story at the time was that the truss came pre-coated, and that we'd never specified any particular colour.

The company phoned the Pie Man, and said they had a range of stock colours available for the coatings, or for an extra cost we could specify a colour, which they'd mix and apply for us.

He told them he wasn't prepared to pay for a colour, just to use the stock finish they had that was closest to maroon - and from your video you can see it wasn't that close..! :rolleyes:

Lucille's Thirsty

This thread will be even busier during the summer with the lack of any football this summer can't wait.

:lol:

August Landmesser

I was thinking more along the lines of what could be stuffed into those open ends.

I'm sure they'll be fumigated to remove any manky sweat-stained Hibs tops before assembly.

Do they do that lights out start at all the Scottish Rugby evening games?

Looks ****ing amazing to be honest :thumbsup:

The story at the time was that the truss came pre-coated, and that we'd never specified any particular colour.

The company phoned the Pie Man, and said they had a range of stock colours available for the coatings, or for an extra cost we could specify a colour, which they'd mix and apply for us.

He told them he wasn't prepared to pay for a colour, just to use the stock finish they had that was closest to maroon - and from your video you can see it wasn't that close..! :rolleyes:

I thought that the pink colour was specified as it was the most resistant to thermal expansion?  or is that just another Tynie myth?

Edited by primrose

CVA thread had over 5,000 posts and nearly half a million views, but this should beat it between now and September, and beyond, once it's complete.

Biggest saddos on this thread so far (post count):

Mikey1874 115 The Earl of Mothsbery 114 kila 110 farin 109 Thomaso 84 jonnothejambo 72 Buffalo Bill 68 Lucille's Thirsty 55 davemclaren 51 Mr Sifter 49

Get a life, lads, eh!

Top posters are the picture takers though

I thought that the pink colour was specified as it was the most resistant to thermal expansion? or is that just another Tynie myth?

Honest answer is I don't know for sure, but I was told the version I posted back at the time, and I had no reason to doubt the source.

Would white not be more resistant to thermal expansion than pink..?

King Of The Cat Cafe

IMG_0237.jpg

Just a test to establish that Kila's advice (post 2809) works on a Mac computer.

Edited by King Of The Cat Cafe

Bungalow Bill

Have heard from a source at the council that the Health & Safety Executive are insisting that the wall required to be built for the ethanol at the brewery needs to be more substantial than originally planned. Cost for the wall is an extra ?150K approx.

So there is a standoff between HSE and the club. The council are in full support of the club and trying to assist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have heard from a source at the council that the Health & Safety Executive are insisting that the wall required to be built for the ethanol at the brewery needs to be more substantial than originally planned. Cost for the wall is an extra ?150K approx.

So there is a standoff between HSE and the club. The council are in full support of the club and trying to assist.

As the establishment club, I fully expect the council to sort this trifling nuisance out for us.

I don't understand why the ethanol tanks are our problem?

Surely it's down to the brewery to make sure they are completely safe for the surrounding area, and if anyone wants to build on their own land and it won't be safe, they should have to make it so?

Can't we get the Mexicans to pay for it?

Build it, then send the bill to the Sombrero Takeaway in Dalry. :thumb: Edited by The Gasman

Bungalow Bill

Can't we get the Mexicans to pay for it?

Post of the year so far for me.

Surely it's down to the brewery to make sure they are completely safe for the surrounding area, and if anyone wants to build on their own land and it won't be safe, they should have to make it so?

Yes and no. The tanks will have been deemed to be safe for the environment in which they currently live. When we mess around with the stadium, we potentially change the local environment to the extent where the existing protective features may not be enough to provide the same degree of risk reduction (the industry term for what we commonly call 'safety'). 

So if something was to change external to the distillery, it would be a bit unfair to expect them to have to spend money on something they had/have no control over. In most cases, what happens is the the external developer and the distillery would reach some sort of compromise. What i've seen previously is the developer funding the majority of the new risk reduction measures, but the distiller (in our case) also puts something towards it to get a better system than what is actually needed - in effect future-proofing the site as well. 

Bazzas right boot

Do they do that lights out start at all the Scottish Rugby evening games?

Looks ******* amazing to be honest :thumbsup:

Aye, each player gets announced and the run out in darkness, with a spot light on them.

It was fabby!

Be good for us we could proper boo and abuse the players we think are shite, and they would know it was them.

Edited by Tosh'sleftfoot

I agree where your coming from.if the distilleries ethinol tanks are in such a poor condition they are likely to rupture why the hell should we pay to keep the stuff off our property.even worse if they were to explode a wall will be about as much use as a chocolate teapot Edited by scabber

I agree where your coming from.if the distilleries ethinol tanks are in such a poor condition they are likely to rupture why the hell should we pay to keep the stuff off our property.

I suspect that it's not that they are likely to rupture, but accidents can and do happen. It is feasible that an unrelated issue somewhere else on the site could lead to either the tanks catching fire, or leaking and then catching fire. Believe it or not, unpressurised storage tanks such as these are not particularly strong. They are only designed to be thick enough to hold the weight of liquid inside them. 

I suspect that it's not that they are likely to rupture, but accidents can and do happen. It is feasible that an unrelated issue somewhere else on the site could lead to either the tanks catching fire, or leaking and then catching fire. Believe it or not, unpressurised storage tanks such as these are not particularly strong. They are only designed to be thick enough to hold the weight of liquid inside them.

I understand accidents can happen, if so why wasn't this wall built years ago was it ok to flood a high school and a nursery full of kids.

Oh, OK then!

Not much new today.

DSC_0189_zpsip1sm1pe.jpg

DSC_0156_zpsiixulayc.jpg

DSC_0151_zpsbwpmqstm.jpg

DSC_0138_zpsr2tn3u10.jpg

The school looks great as a backdrop against the old stand. It's a real shame it's all been blocked out by the social buildings all these years.

Wonder how long it'll take to weld it together? 2 weeks for it to be on schedule

is it a Project Manager who is looking after things?If so he is on the ball.

Bungalow Bill

It's a nonsense but the HSE look at every case on its own and don't take into account the fact that, there's a high school, a nursery and flats all within proximity of the brewery at the moment. It's utter nonsense in my opinion from HSE.

I understand accidents can happen, if so why wasn't this wall built years ago was it ok to flood a high school and a nursery full of kids.

Different regulations when they were built I imagine.

Shanks said no

What contribution have Cruden Homes been asked to make to build their 5 storey flatted development opposite the old school?

You might even be able to see the tanks from the top flats.

Edited by godandgorgie2012

The school looks great as a backdrop against the old stand. It's a real shame it's all been blocked out by the social buildings all these years.

Yep, a real slice of Old Edinburgh right there.

Correct.

Surely it is their responsibility to ensure anything on their premises is safe and cannot impact anything if something adverse happens on the distillery premises.

And surely they are accountable for their own compliance and adherence with Health & Safety regulations.

If things within the distillery are deemed to offer a risk outside their boundaries why are they not getting their own house in order ?

Why are they still allowed to operate if it is such a risk to the surrounding area ?

Where is the Health & Safety Officer in his dealings with the actual health and safety issue within the distillery?

The Natural Order

Yip, the school's actually quite a nice building.

DSC_0050_zpsd4kmkvsn.jpg

It's a nonsense but the HSE look at every case on its own and don't take into account the fact that, there's a high school, a nursery and flats all within proximity of the brewery at the moment. It's utter nonsense in my opinion from HSE.

That isn't true in any way shape or form i'm afraid. HSE look at the cumulative impact of all hazards within the site which may impact anything outside of the fence. What the distillery will do, as part of their CoMAH report (which HSE requires you have) is to determine whatis the maximum effect that an accident may happen. This takes into account things like the prevailing wind direction which ensures that not all areas within a 360 degree radius of the accident will be affected the same way. 

The above comes from experience because I've written enough CoMAH reports in my time, I've also had to either do, or commission someone else to, the associated risk studies (blast, thermal radiation, toxic gas, etc). 

Edited by trotter

Correct.

Surely it is their responsibility to ensure anything on their premises is safe and cannot impact anything if something adverse happens on the distillery premises.

And surely they are accountable for their own compliance and adherence with Health & Safety regulations.

If things within the distillery are deemed to offer a risk outside their boundaries why are they not getting their own house in order ?

Why are they still allowed to operate if it is such a risk to the surrounding area ?

Where is the Health & Safety Officer in his dealings with the actual health and safety issue within the distillery?

See my post higher up the page. It doesn't work like that. 

I thought I read somewhere it was getting fabricated somewhere and delivered in five sections. Not some flat pack, hope somebody has kept the instructions handy get this impression of a huge bag of nuts and bolts and the guys wives standing behind them telling them it's all wrong

Bazzas right boot

I thought I read somewhere it was getting fabricated somewhere and delivered in five sections. Not some flat pack, hope somebody has kept the instructions handy get this impression of a huge bag of nuts and bolts and the guys wives standing behind them telling them it's all wrong

I hope there's at least one wife, or no one will look at the instructions, it will get built and they'll be left with a part that no one knows what to do with.

jambo-in-furness

I'm not an expert, but I thought bund walls were only there to contain all of whatever the contents were, to prevent the same contents from entering drainage systems and if the contents did catch fire, then that wall also contained the fire spread. Therefore, surely the bund wall must already be of sufficient height otherwise they wouldn't have a fire certificate.

Away from that, I can remember way back when I was 15 years of age (1963) before the ace of hearts club was built the Hearts squad Occasionally trained on the piece of land where the clubs were to be built, John Cummings taking the training, Cruikshanks Wallace White etc all training there.

Edited by jambo-in-furness

I'm not an expert, but I thought bund walls were only there to contain all of whatever the contents were, to prevent the same contents from entering drainage systems and if the contents did catch fire, then that wall also contained the fire spread. Therefore, surely the bund wall must already be of sufficient height otherwise they wouldn't have a fire certificate.

Away from that, I can remember way back when I was 15 years of age, before the ace of hearts club was built the Hearts squad Occasionally trained on the piece of land where the clubs werewolf be built, John Cummings taking the training, Cruikshanks Wallace White etc all training there.

Werewolves of Tynecastle. :)

avhudtheteeshirt

I hope there's at least one wife, or no one will look at the instructions, it will get built and they'll be left with a part that no one knows what to do with.

Naw! Nay wives or the girder will end up looking like thon tower in Dubia, standing straight up!!!!

I wonder if that comment a few pages back saying the distillery werent happy had anything to do with this extra work that no one has agreed to pay for.

Away from that, I can remember way back when I was 15 years of age (1963) before the ace of hearts club was built the Hearts squad Occasionally trained on the piece of land where the clubs were to be built, John Cummings taking the training, Cruikshanks Wallace White etc all training there.

Yup, HSE guidance states 110% of the volume of the largest tank, or 25% of the total volume of all tanks within the bund (whichever is larger). I believe the wall in question for Tynecastle is to do with thermal radiation, not keeping the ethanol in the same place. 

Edited by trotter