New Stand: Ongoing work (updated)

Clerry Jambo

Some great memories made for me in the old stand. For some reason, Frank Liddell's last minute diving header against Airdrie is the one I remember most.

Not sorry to see it go though, onwards and upwards.

Charles Henshaw of Russell Road are doing the glass facade

Considering there hasn't been an announcement of who the main contractor is yet I'm not entirely sure that's for public consumption.

FFS its bricks and corrugated steel and asbestos and its a horrible place to watch football and very probably it was an accident waiting to happen. Its a disgrace we kept it for so long and I wont be shedding any tears like some of you girls.

Say good bye to it. A building aye ? FFS.

I will say it until I am Maroon in the face. You are never Hearts supporter. Despite your arguments and protests otherwise.

There's much to admire about how we're engaging with the community at the moment, from the ethical employment through the introduction of the living wage, to selecting local suppliers like Dalton and Henshaw. Investing in local businesses and supporting employment, while growing the Club. Those same suppliers might just give some back in corporate one day. It's like night and day from the Romanov days.

Really happy to see the social club building come down. It's an eyesore but I appreciate it'll have good memories for some.

BTW - they're still debating about what buildings some hibby owns among the out buildings in McLeod St. Surely it can't be stopped from happening now.

:jjyay:

Considering there hasn't been an announcement of who the main contractor is yet I'm not entirely sure that's for public consumption.

As I said above there will be no main contractor.  You are partly correct however - subcontracts have yet to be finalised.

There's much to admire about how we're engaging with the community at the moment, from the ethical employment through the introduction of the living wage, to selecting local suppliers like Dalton and Henshaw. Investing in local businesses and supporting employment, while growing the Club. Those same suppliers might just give some back in corporate one day. It's like night and day from the Romanov days.

As I said before, Mrs Budge is very keen to use local, and 'Hearts orientated' companies - by that I mean companies run by a Jambo, as they are likely to offer very competitive tenders, and will do all possible to produce a good job on time.

You are also correct that local businesses, and 'Vlad rejecting' Edinburgh Companies, are now more likely to support the Club's corporate offering.

I've only ever sat in the Main Stand for 4 games:

Hearts 2-0 Dinamo Zagreb

Hearts 0-5 Tottenham

Hearts 0-0 Wolfsburg

Hearts 1-1 Ross County

I have no emotional attachment to it in terms of sitting there for games, with the exception of it being my first European game at Tynecastle under the floodlights, but I will be sad to see it go. It's been part of Hearts for longer than any of us have been, and although we'll get used to the new one, and even although the new one will be miles better than the old one in every possible way, it isn't quite going to be the same ever again. There's something stirring about walking onto the concourse of the Wheatfield and seeing the Old Stand, or seeing it on TV when the Hearts are televised.

Onwards and upwards, but it's going to be a bit strange when it's not there any more.

As I said above there will be no main contractor.  You are partly correct however - subcontracts have yet to be finalised.

That's not what I was told when I was in at the club last week. You can't possibly run a ?12mill project over 10-14 months without having a MC. That's absolute madness.

Edited by mars plastic

8b5a4c7afe87193fd3f3acdf38a4adc4.jpg

62feb273bd07bf744073f46c146b220c.jpg

No worries, as you can see it's just the interior work gutting out the shop & offices mostly so far. Not much to see until the demolition gets started tbh. [emoji1303]

Where's thon yelley JCBEEZ likesey??? Said they were turning up today!

That's not what I was told when I was in at the club last week. You can't possibly run a ?12mill project over 10-14 months without having a MC. That's absolute madness.

The thought of building a new stand a mere matter of months after being threatened with death is absolute madness too. But dinny worry, there's people far more clued up than you and I in control.

I know it won't be the same feeling at all, but I'm comforted that a lot of the old stand structure is incorporated into the new.

Yes, I have far fewer days at Tynie than the rest of you, but it really doesn't take much to catch the magic of it.

That's not what I was told when I was in at the club last week. You can't possibly run a ?12mill project over 10-14 months without having a MC. That's absolute madness.

Don't know who told you that - all I can say is that at a meeting I attended 10 days ago the proposal was to appoint a qualified Project Manager to co-ordinate the subcontract packages. 

The Club have had their fingers burnt previously with MC delays and big claims for variations and alleged 'extra work'.  They quite rightly want to avoid this scenario this time around.

The thought of building a new stand a mere matter of months after being threatened with death is absolute madness too. But dinny worry, there's people far more clued up than you and I in control.

Correct!

Was it called "The Ace of Hearts Social Club"?

I remember at the time this was built on land owned by Hearts and it was going to raise big revenue for the Football Club. Not sure what actually happened but there was talk of dodgy management, fingers in the till, and the place ultimately financially crashed.

The Football Club then cashed in their chips and sold the land and building to the Council for buttons I believe.

If I remember correctly there were 3 clubs. The Ace of Hearts was where the shop is and above that was The Roseberry.

Then there was The Midlothian right behind the old stand.

As you say I think there was some shenanigans that led them having to be sold. I think it was just another aspect of the football club that was badly managed at the time.

There were some household acts who performed there including Billy Fury, Les Dawson, Roy Walker etc. It was a popular and busy place.

This reads like your latest very strange personal grudge, just as it is an odd place to air it.

FWIW for his performance at that EGM alone, Hearts supporters should be eternally grateful to Jim Clydesdale. He was a crucial element in exposing Robinson's lies.

Correct.

"Is Jim Clydesdale in the room? "...... when everyone with the possible exception of the Pieman already knew the answer!

Lord Beni of Gorgie

That's not what I was told when I was in at the club last week. You can't possibly run a ?12mill project over 10-14 months without having a MC. That's absolute madness.

Quite easily. Chicken feed to be honest. With decent project controls in place should not be a problem

Brick Tamland

I will say it until I am Maroon in the face. You are never Hearts supporter. Despite your arguments and protests otherwise.

100% with you on this John.

Quite easily. Chicken feed to be honest. With decent project controls in place should not be a problem

I'm going to have to say that's utter nonsense.

Aye, ok. You've probably never wired more than a plug in yer puff tae.

I take it you are in the construction game with experience in project management to formulate this opinion?

I take it you are in the construction game with experience in project management to formulate this opinion?

The company I work for has been sub-contracted to every main contractor that you can think of. Well, apart from Brookfield Multiplex, which is mildly irritating.I've also been on enough building sites in my time to understand how a contraction project works.

If this is the way the club are doing it then I'd be vey surprised as I can't recall of any decent sized stadium re-development, or any large building project for that matter, that wouldn't have a MC on board to pull everything together. That's what they are set up for. If it was that easy, or chicken feed as somebody else said, then they wouldn't be a need for them.

So I take it Brian Cormack is doing the job that a MC would do, but is instead doing it all for free on behalf of FoH? Sounds pretty sensible if that is the case, no?

Some amount of "experts" on this thread !

Surely, if you were so well versed in all aspects of construction and project management, you'd be away doing that as a job, instead of bitching at each other like the weirdo's on Hubs.net !

Cant wait to see the big baws swinging along mcleod strasse...  new start, onward and upward !

Ah Ken mare aboot buldin thin you.

Does anybody actually care how it is being demolished/built just that it is getting done?

This , this and a thousand times THIS !

FFS its bricks and corrugated steel and asbestos and its a horrible place to watch football and very probably it was an accident waiting to happen. Its a disgrace we kept it for so long and I wont be shedding any tears like some of you girls.

Maine road / Highbury / Upton Park / Sunderlands old ground (I forget the name) where no longer fit for purpose and shinny new stadiums replaced them. No one shed a tear....Aye sure.

The old stand is part of our history and something that needs replaced but that doesn't mean fans don't have memories of it. I sat there for the Graham Weir derby nearly ended up on top of the dug out when the equaliser went in...there's a great memory for me.

You are either on the wind up. Not a hearts fan or you just don't get football.

The old stand is kind of like the wife in a marriage who you have fond memories of but the love has fizzled out and she's not the oil painting she once was.  The new main stand will be the 23 year old hot, filthy secretary who's about to take her place lol 

Ah Ken mare aboot buldin thin you.

Does anybody actually care how it is being demolished/built just that it is getting done?

It would appear that they do otherwise we wouldn't be discussing it. You're obviously as thick as two planks and don't understand what's being discussed and consequently trying to be a smart arse.

The old stand is kind of like the wife in a marriage who you have fond memories of but the love has fizzled out and she's not the oil painting she once was. The new main stand will be the 23 year old hot, filthy secretary who's about to take her place lol

And all your money...

Maine road / Highbury / Upton Park / Sunderlands old ground (I forget the name) where no longer fit for purpose and shinny new stadiums replaced them. No one shed a tear....Aye sure.

The old stand is part of our history and something that needs replaced but that doesn't mean fans don't have memories of it. I sat there for the Graham Weir derby nearly ended up on top of the dug out when the equaliser went in...there's a great memory for me.

My Falkirk supporting uncle hates their new stadium and misses Brockville. He doesn't enjoy going to the new stadium and often doesn't bother anymore. These things do affect attendance for some people.

The old stand is kind of like the wife in a marriage who you have fond memories of but the love has fizzled out and she's not the oil painting she once was. The new main stand will be the 23 year old hot, filthy secretary who's about to take her place lol

Have to balance it up with whilst the wife is no oil painting, the 23 year old will have thousands more blokes(an a good few women) in her.

or possibly i just have my own opinion

Roker Park for your info is what it was called.

You are logged in to the wrong site with that patter.

I'm a hobo ? Thats the answer ? You realise what an erse that makes you sound ?

I never said you were Hibs.

You are just GREEN with envy.

We have a nice positive thread and along you come with your negative posts as usual.Whatever team it is you support it sure ain't Hearts.

I'm a hobo ? Thats the answer ? You realise what an erse that makes you sound ?

You are just taking a swing at everything to do with the new stand though, you can see why he would come to that conclusion, no?

First you are having a go at folk for feel sentimental about their happy memories of the old stand. Then it's the asbestos and look of the old stand. Finally you then go for the architect.

It makes it look like you are just pissed off about the whole thing.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I see it done every day. And quite often for much larger sums and in far harsher environments Edited by Sir Gio

You are just taking a swing at everything to do with the new stand though, you can see why he would come to that conclusion, no?

First you are having a go at folk for feel sentimental about their happy memories of the old stand. Then it's the asbestos and look of the old stand. Finally you then go for the architect.

It makes it look like you are just pissed off about the whole thing.

I haven't taken a swing at the new stand in any way, shape or form. I welcome the day. I won't be shedding a tear for the old stand. Just my stance on it. Get over it.

The architect once went behind a managers back to try and get him sacked. Thats a documented fact.

I just don't get the gushing faux sentiment over a dilapidated dinosaur of a building which has reached the end of its useful life, a bit like yourself

Edited by CollyWolly

I haven't taken a swing at the new stand in any way, shape or form. I welcome the day. I won't be shedding a tear for the old stand. Just my stance on it. Get over it.

The architect once went behind a managers back to try and get him sacked. Thats a documented fact.

I just don't get the gushing faux sentiment over a dilapidated dinosaur of a building which has reached the end of its useful life, a bit like yourself

:lol:

Dearie me.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

:rofl:

Spent a lot of time on the subject for the lack of concern