Celtic & Sevco bid to join English league. Again. (merged)

Stuart Lyon

Its not just about Hearts mate. Its about Ross County and Kilmarnock and St Johnstone. What form are they going to take when the TV money dwindles and sponsors aren't interested ?

Hearts can survive that, probably in our current form, because we have the gates. A lot of the others rely heavily on the TV and sponsorship money to survive. You have to look at the bigger picture. Its not just about Hearts winning 10 in a row.

Going by the majority of posts it is just about Hearts. That's why some are coming up with daft notions of us playing in the English 5th Division in the hope that in the year 2040 we might make it to the EPL.

If the OF are allowed to go to England or elsewhere there is nothing we can do to stop them. I would hope that they would be made to relocate though.

The best thing the rest of us can do is make our own League as attractive as possible by having people with a bit of vision and business sense running our league and FA.

Those chancers in charge at the moment must be removed immediately if the OF are lost to our league.

• Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ibrahim Tall

I was referring to Ross County and Kilmarnock!

My mistake, read it as you were referring to how they'd survive if the OF were relegated as opposed to leaving.

Celtic and Rangers could be joined by other Scottish teams in a proposal to expand the English Football League from 72 clubs to four leagues of 20. Scottish teams could be invited to join a fifth tier in England under a British Football League banner. (Daily Express)

I don't think it's all coincidence in this age of "indyrefs", that Scottish clubs are being considered for the first time as possible members of a revamped English football league. If that's the case then Hearts would have a very good chance joining. If by winning the league here in Scotland you had an option of joining the league system down south then there's not many clubs would turn it down. Naturally Celtic would be favourites as the first to go.

Funny how we haven't heard any club statements about this.

Yep, because Aberdeen and Hibs are about to be invited to dine at the top table of football! It's what managers across England are saying: "If only we could find away to bring players of the quality of Paul Hanlon and Mark Reynolds to our league, that would solve all of our money woes."

and yet the media are talking about other Scottish teams being invited. So I'll ask again, if everyone else invited actually went, would you want to stay and fight out the title every year with Livingston, Raith, or whoever else was left?

and yet the media are talking about other Scottish teams being invited. So I'll ask again, if everyone else invited actually went, would you want to stay and fight out the title every year with Livingston, Raith, or whoever else was left?

It's far too great a risk for anyone outside the old firm. Let's assume 3 get promoted. What happens if your not one of those. Your basically left in the English 5th tier without the old firm. As soon as they left that league the media interest would drop as would the crowds. Unless we coat tailed them to the premier league we'd sink into oblivion as would all other teams from Scotland.

Going by the majority of posts it is just about Hearts. That's why some are coming up with daft notions of us playing in the English 5th Division in the hope that in the year 2040 we might make it to the EPL.

If the OF are allowed to go to England or elsewhere there is nothing we can do to stop them. I would hope that they would be made to relocate though.

The best thing the rest of us can do is make our own League as attractive as possible by having people with a bit of vision and business sense running our league and FA.

Those chancers in charge at the moment must be removed immediately if the OF are lost to our league.

Agreed. There are only 8 new places available under this proposal. Lets assume Celtic and Rangers get 2 of them and that's wildly speculative at the moment. That leaves 6 places. There is no danger we'd get one of them ahead of the 'cream' of the conference. We'd bring more than them to the Football League in my opinion but we wont be invited. So, irrespective of what  folk think our options might be, there wont be an option of any kind. We'll be staying in Scotland and we'll be the biggest club playing in Scotland and we'll probably win a lot of stuff. Its what is happening to clubs underneath our level that would be of concern to me. Winning the title is about beating the opposition that's put in front of you so in that respect, I'd be happy enough if we were winning the title. There simply wouldn't be a choice for us anyway I don't believe. We would have to stay unless the proposal is massively expanded and I cant see that happening.

And yes, on day one of Armageddon Part 2. We MUST get rid of guys like Doncaster and his mob.

Rudy T, on 30 Aug 2016 - 10:26 AM, said:

It's far too great a risk for anyone outside the old firm. Let's assume 3 get promoted. What happens if your not one of those. Your basically left in the English 5th tier without the old firm. As soon as they left that league the media interest would drop as would the crowds. Unless we coat tailed them to the premier league we'd sink into oblivion as would all other teams from Scotland.

This was my thinking too

Bazzas right boot

We are a proud Scottish team, not a northern Ireland, England or Irish wannabe.

Especially if that means starting in a English 5th division. How are we going to attract players from there?

Scottish top team or a English no mark team.

Ffs we are from the Scottish capital, not some tin pot team.

And yes, on day one of Armageddon Part 2. We MUST get rid of guys like Doncaster and his mob.

I wouldn't wait that long. This afternoon would be my preference! They've let this nonsense rumble on and basically made a mockery of our game. The fans of all clubs should organise a petition to remove the lot of them. A few banners flying over Hampden would be money well spent.

If Celtic and Rangers ever joined the English leagues it would be the beginning of a new wave

of bigotry infected on England & Wales. Can you imagine the Old Firm fans and their sick songs

and sick views covering the south of the UK with individual arseholes in the south joining the bigoted

world of the Bigot Brothers. I wouldn't want to see that happen to anybody and until we sort out the

problem here in Scotland this is where the cancerous illness of Bigotry should remain.

Now we have Chairmen down south who are only looking in the short term so they can make a few

quid and don't care about the damage that can/will be done to the game down south.

Celtic and Rangers should never be allowed to damage any other country it must never happen.

john brownlee

Its not just about Hearts mate. Its about Ross County and Kilmarnock and St Johnstone. What form are they going to take when the TV money dwindles and sponsors aren't interested ?

Hearts can survive that, probably in our current form, because we have the gates. A lot of the others rely heavily on the TV and sponsorship money to survive. You have to look at the bigger picture. Its not just about Hearts winning 10 in a row.

we, them survived and had better crowds before TV. It Took over and have ruined the game. All they are interested on is the cheeks, well if they go to Engerlan, will it change I can't see BT, Sky or the Beeb showing Patrick v Cally. Or any other Scottish games without the cheeks.

It can only get better if you want to see your team go to the ground.

Armchair fans can GTF

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

we, them survived and had better crowds before TV. It Took over and have ruined the game. All they are interested on is the cheeks, well if they go to Engerlan, will it change I can't see BT, Sky or the Beeb showing Patrick v Cally. Or any other Scottish games without the cheeks.

It can only get better if you want to see your team go to the ground.

Armchair fans can GTF

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One thing we can be sure of is a move to England and the day we become separated from the old firm is the day we get 3 minutes on sky goals as our entire TV coverage.

Stay put without them and we'll still be on the box. BT sports show football from all over Europe and they'd continue with the spfl with or without the OF.

My preferred option is for everyone, including the OF, to stay put, and hope at some point we get a fairer deal from the TV co's.

If we went south it would be a huge risk for everyone, as would staying put and watching everyone else leave.

I just can't believe that anyone would not want rid of them. How many people on here actually recall a time when the scottish league was not sewn up before a ball was kicked? By the time this season ends it will be 32 years since another club won the top division. What on earth makes anyone think that will not be the case for the next 32 years, by which time the probability is that I will have shuffled off this mortal coil. What will it take for people to admit that one or other of them will always have financial resources that nobody else can compete with? Celtic are realistically looking at a turnover of ?100M this year. That is 15 times more than us!!!!!

And for anyone who carps on about the death of scottish football, you are completely deluded. Just as the leagues found their level without Rangers, and so they would without the two of them. And all the talk of European standing and credibility is utter mince. When was the last time a scottish club got past the qualifying stages of the UEFA cup (apart from the uglies). This is something that we NOW aspire to - taking them out will make absolutely no difference. What will be different is the enjoyment that other supporters have is watching their teams genuinely compete on a level playing field with a CHANCE of winning the top league. We already loose players from our top league to second and third tier English leagues, that wouldn't change. The main thing is that should they go - they should never be allowed to compete is any shape or form in the Scottish league.

Here is a controversial one. It may even (eventually) result in improved behaviour. Should they ever make it to the top division, do Celtic really want to continue to be indelibly associated with protest and terrorism? If they were ever to go toe to toe with the big boys (City, Arsenal, Tottenham, Man U etc) do they want to continue to be regarded as protest and terrorists apologists - or would they assume the mantle of an elite club and the dignity that requires. Sure they will never loose the Irish identity, but I don't have a problem with that. Of course Sevco would be a different kettle of fish. And it may be that both languish in the lower leagues where they will be destined to go toe to toe with the Milwall's and Leeds of these divisions. And one thing they would have to deal with is that while in the lower leagues, every club with a so-called established "firm" would see their twice annual visit to Glasgow as an opportunity to wreak havoc in the city centre streets.

BRAVEHEART1874

The biggot bro's would automatically get their spl place filled with a B team and their fans would have the choice every week of  either

1) going away to say the wimbledon cockwombles etc. (eventually) or

2) watching their B team (which would still be quite good because of the english coin they took) at home to HEARTS etc.

With both teams still claiming to be the same club and having 55 etc british titles ;)

LarrysRightFoot

Just to pass on something i have learned - the English Football League appear to be actively pursuing this and it's been in the pipeline for at least a year.

This is not just another case of the Old Firm touting themselves for the move.

I am not saying it will happen but just making it clear there is something in this by the sounds of it.

The biggot bro's would automatically get their spl place filled with a B team and their fans would have the choice every week of either

2) watching their B team (which would still be quite good because of the english coin they took) at home to HEARTS etc.

With both teams still claiming to be the same club and having 55 etc british titles ;)

UEFA wouldn't allow it. They'd need a separate licence to do so. And therefore become a different team. If the spfl then allowed them to join the league it wouldn't be a premiership level. And I'd also hope every team in this country would reject it out of hand.

Mac_fae_Gillie

SPL has been in decline for decades.

EPL TV money has stolen our youth they prefer watching EPL on TV than actually going to games so sad to see but loss of O/F would just reinforce this as a generation supports the O/F as Scotlands teams meaning long term downturn of remaining clubs.

If they do get to jump ship I would strongly hope Hearts Aberdeen and few others do too.

The English Con league already has better crowds outside of our top 5. we would lose any real chance of Europe and no doubt be bouncing mid Championship within 5/6 years no great gain for us but I would fear staying is just doom.

FarmerTweedy

As soon as they got to the second tier, all the supporter, media and TV interest would disappear from what remained of Scottish football. The only way this would ever be a good thing would be if they had to relocate out of Scotland.

I've been thinking exactly that for a long time. Want to leave Scottish football? Leave Scotland.

SPL has been in decline for decades.

EPL TV money has stolen our youth they prefer watching EPL on TV than actually going to games so sad to see but loss of O/F would just reinforce this as a generation supports the O/F as Scotlands teams meaning long term downturn of remaining clubs.

If they do get to jump ship I would strongly hope Hearts Aberdeen and few others do too.

The English Con league already has better crowds outside of our top 5. we would lose any real chance of Europe and no doubt be bouncing mid Championship within 5/6 years no great gain for us but I would fear staying is just doom.

Again you're basing this on the league staying as is if they go. We would completely revamp scottish football and it's league system to drive maximum value out of a old firm free league. That would have to involve real business/Commercially savvy and football people like Ann Budge.

If Doncaster and co were involved then yes Armageddon wouldn't be far away.

I've been thinking exactly that for a long time. Want to leave Scottish football? Leave Scotland.

That will not happen, unfortunately.

Both clubs will still be located in Glasgow, their fans would still be infecting every corner of Scotland like they do now,and the Glasgow media would still be camped outside their doors waiting for their instructions - leaving the rest of us ignored or villified exactly as we are now.

Scottish fans wanting their club to desert their nation is scumbag behaviour.

Only to be expected from the OF and their fans but very disappointing to see Hearts fans happy to go along with this treason.

Back to 2005

Only to be expected from the OF and their fans but very disappointing to see Hearts fans happy to go along with this treason.

Only want what's best for the club but we are still part of the UK.

A OF free league would be more competitive!

or would it? And if so by how much

The current middleweight would become the new heavyweights and assuming the a diminished TV deal would impact smaller clubs harder as TV revenue is a bigger proportion of their income. The financial upper hand that Hearts or Aberdeen have over Partick or Dundee would become even stronger.

I reckon that an Old Firm free Scottish league would end up like Portugal or Holland with only three rather than two regular contenders. Optimists might stretch that to four.

Probably a healthier competition but not a huge step forward

The current middleweight would become the new heavyweights and assuming the a diminished TV deal would impact smaller clubs harder as TV revenue is a bigger proportion of their income. The financial upper hand that Hearts or Aberdeen have over Partick or Dundee would become even stronger.

I reckon that an Old Firm free Scottish league would end up like Portugal or Holland with only three rather than two regular contenders. Optimists might stretch that to four.

Still better than the English 5th Division.

But has anyone actually expressed a desire to desert their nation, or is it all in your head?

What is being discussed is what should we do if others "desert our nation". Do we stay or do we follow?

That seems a perfectly reasonable discussion to be having.

The fact you think that is scumbag behaviour says more about you than anything else.

Toxteth O'Grady

Nobody is interested in the OF other than their own fans.

I think Sky will be showing their game more or less at the same time as the Manchester Derby, given the choice how many neutrals will watch the game in Glasgow?

The only reason you'd watch it is in the hope it will erupt into chaos, its like watching the Grand Prix when you couldn't care less which of the noisy wee cars whizzes round the quickest but you quite like seeing them crash.

Bazzas right boot

Like most leagues then, still more competitive, still in our country and not in the English 5 th tier.

Aberdeen, ourselves, Motherwell, Livingston, St Johnstone, Dundee utd and ict ( not sure about last three) would have all won the league without them.

All better than 2 in over 30 years.

Personally, I think that making a British league isn't a bad idea but think the proposals need tweaking to make it viable.

The big issue is going to be the SFA. As soon as you make it a British league, where does the national team fit in. It gives UEFA licence to insist on a British national team, something that the fans of all home nations are going to react badly to.

Taking the OF first, by accepting the invitation, there is no way they can run a reserve team in the SFL system to ensure European qualification. It has to be all or nothing. They cannot have qualification by the back door for their first team to play in Champions or Europa Leagues during a midweek while at the weekends their reserve teams play in SPL. They may look at the way the Champions League is going to be structured from 2018 and realise that the prospect of them qualifying is so diminished that the finances on offer from England are too good to turn down. With the finances on offer, the chances of them making it quite quickly to the second tier of football would be good. It's after that, they may have to spend a couple of seasons there before getting to the EPL. Once there, they are going to be so far behind the bigger clubs, it would be light years before they would win a title. They would be at best mid to bottom half clubs. Their fans would not exactly be made welcome by the locals thanks to their 'political leanings' but smaller clubs in England would accept the revenue boost from 2-3000 fans filling their ground.

From Hearts point if view, it tough to say how it would affect us. Could I ever see us competing in the EPL. In all honesty, no but there again I don't think I ever envisaged Bournemouth or Burnley playing there so anything is possible. Where does it leave us. Our TV deal is shite at the moment and losing the gruesome twosome is hardly likely to improve it, so TV revenue isn't a considered factor. A more competitive league structure is in my opinion likely to lead to increased crowds, as we all know the glory hunters come out of the woodwork when your team is winning. Due to the changes to CL qualification, a team like Hearts would never make the group stages, so it would depend on the finances that could be gained. Dundalk are probably a good example and what they earned from their run is the maximum we could expect from a run in CL qualifiers (especially if there are financial changes to the smaller nations due to big 4 getting 4 automatic qualifiers. That sort of finance could make a huge difference to type of player we could attract or what we could retain our existing players with. We could also improve output finances if the league then considered the switch to summer football. That is more likely to attract some TV investment and would assist in European qualification, again Dundalk are the example. Fir clubs like ourself, Aberdeen, Hibs and the Dundee sides, I don't think the loss of OF revenue would have a negative effect as it would increase our crowds. The ones who are likely to vote to follow the structure proposed are the short term thinkers, Motherwell, Killie, Hamilton who are the OF hangers on and apologists. Scottish football didn't implode when Rangers left, so I don't think Armageddon would happen if they both left but again I know that our crowds would likely increase in a very winnable league.

From a structure point of view, if this ever came about, my opinion is for it to be financially viable, you would need to structure the bottom 2 divisions on a regional basis. How many fans are going to want a trip to Plymouth or Portsmouth or Forest Green Rovers. You'd be in London 6 or so times a season. From a financial point of view, for their clubs as well, it's not viable. Making it a regional structure, gets all the Scottish clubs in and makes the maximum travel time from Edinburgh in a car about 5 hours. Double the time to Aberdeen. It would lead to a better share of TV money. It's more a question of how long it would take us to progress up the league structure and what effect it would have on attendances, watching us playing teams like Morcambe, Rochdale or Bury for a few seasons. I believe we would make 2nd tier but it's how long it would take for us to get there. Teams like Sheffield Utd and Bradford have struggled to make it back to the Championship on crowds similar to ours with better TV monies. Could we go further, as I said, who would have thought teams like Bournemouth or Burnley would have played in top flight, but they are, especially when both clubs were on verge of exiting the league system not so many years ago, so who knows.

Personally, I'd love to give the journey of trying to get to the EPL a go, but I can see a lot of positive points to staying in the SPFL structure without the OF being present.

Testing the water by amalgamating the League Cup competitions and making the easier rounds weekend games would give us an idea of whether there's an appetite for a British League. It also gives the English/Welsh an idea of what is going to descend on them if it ever went ahead.

Maybe someone could do a poll on whether fans would be for/against us joining the English league.

The biggot bro's would automatically get their spl place filled with a B team and their fans would have the choice every week of  either

That must NEVER be allowed. If you go, you go.

Celtic and Rangers could be joined by other Scottish teams in a proposal to expand the English Football League from 72 clubs to four leagues of 20. Scottish teams could be invited to join a fifth tier in England under a British Football League banner. (Daily Express)

The Express still thinks there is something called the British Empire and are best ignored.

But IF this is true it's part of the general cultural, geographic, sporting and political imperialism happening right now, i.e. everything British = good. Everything Scottish (or English, except that's where they get confused and start equating England with Britain) = bad.

I have to laugh at responses like this. Most on the forum wanted our club dead. Most fans of other clubs (well, the hard of thinking) wanted our club dead.

Now there is a wee rumour, and that's all it is, and our fans are scum for wanting to leave,

Really got to make up your minds lads.

Like most leagues then, still more competitive, still in our country and not in the English 5 th tier.

Aberdeen, ourselves, Motherwell, Livingston, St Johnstone, Dundee utd and ict ( not sure about last three) would have all won the league without them.

All better than 2 in over 30 years.

As I say if you take the TV income out of the equation the obstacle facing clubs subsisting on gates of 4,000 becomes a lot more substantial. 

If they want to go so be it. But I do not want an OF 2nd Team left behind in our leagues in order

that they get two bites of the cherry.

They have ruined Scottish Football by ensuring they are always first to the feeding trough.

Yes they have the most supporters but that means they have the most income and shouldn't

get most of the TV money.

How long do you think their fans will be happy travelling the length and breadth of Britain.

Hopefully they will not feel the need to join our fans base.

Looking at teams like Copenhagen, Fc Basel, Legia Warsaw and Brugge in the CL group stages should end any thought of us following the OF to England. That could be us in an OF-free Scottish league!

"Small" teams in "small" leagues in "small" countries relatively speaking (especially Copenhagen and Basel). None of those teams or leagues have great global appeal for TV or sponsorship. I bet none of us can name any of their players.

I can't believe any Hearts fan would rather mess around in the lower English leagues than stay in Scotland and have a genuinely realistic target of winning a title and getting into the CL. 

The idea that playing lower league English league football is somehow more "ambitious" than aiming for the CL group stages is absurd.

Looking at teams like Copenhagen, Fc Basel, Legia Warsaw and Brugge in the CL group stages should end any thought of us following the OF to England. That could be us in an OF-free Scottish league!

"Small" teams in "small" leagues in "small" countries relatively speaking (especially Copenhagen and Basel). None of those teams or leagues have great global appeal for TV or sponsorship. I bet none of us can name any of their players.

I can't believe any Hearts fan would rather mess around in the lower English leagues than stay in Scotland and have a genuinely realistic target of winning a title and getting into the CL.

The idea that playing lower league English league football is somehow more "ambitious" than aiming for the CL group stages is absurd.

Do you know what the CL will look like in 5, 10, 15 years?

There's every chance it will look vastly different than it does today. The big clubs in the big leagues only care about themselves and changes will continue to be made to suit their selfish interests.

But has anyone actually expressed a desire to desert their nation, or is it all in your head?

What is being discussed is what should we do if others "desert our nation". Do we stay or do we follow?

That seems a perfectly reasonable discussion to be having.

The fact you think that is scumbag behaviour says more about you than anything else.

The fact you take issue with what I said tells me all about you.

Scottish clubs should not even be considering giving up on Scotland.

It's not as if the alternative is all that

good anyway. Lower league annonimity awaits us if we were to follow the OF out the door. We would end up losing thousands of fans imo. Hearts v Fleetwood anyone ?

Torquay v Hearts cannae wait.

Do you know what the CL will look like in 5, 10, 15 years?

There's every chance it will look vastly different than it does today. The big clubs in the big leagues only care about themselves and changes will continue to be made to suit their selfish interests.

No, but right now if the OF left, that could be us.

English football could just as easily change in 10 years. The TV bubble could pop just as we enter the 5th division in England.

luckydug, on 30 Aug 2016 - 4:40 PM, said:

The fact you take issue with what I said tells me all about you.

Scottish clubs should not even be considering giving up on Scotland.

It's not as if the alternative is all that

good anyway. Lower league annonimity awaits us if we were to follow the OF out the door. We would end up losing thousands of fans imo. Hearts v Fleetwood anyone ?

Torquay v Hearts cannae wait.

Lovely place Torquay but a hell of a journey :tiny:

No, but right now if the OF left, that could be us.

English football could just as easily change in 10 years. The TV bubble could pop just as we enter the 5th division in England.

Yep, that could happen too.

Again demonstrating that it would be a complex decision to make either way.

If Hearts, Aberdeen and Hibs were invited to join the English leagues we would all be mental to turn it down.

Escaping the SFA/SPFL would be a clincher on it's own.

If Hearts, Aberdeen and Hibs were invited to join the English leagues we would all be mental to turn it down.

Escaping the SFA/SPFL would be a clincher on it's own.

Hearts vs Morecambe, Carlisle, Crawley Town and Stevenage! (And those are some of the big games). We can only dream.

Edit: In the proposed set-up we'd be in a league with the likes of Forest Green, DoverAthletic and Solihull Moors. Heady days indeed.

I think that OF crowds would drop as their teams would be struggling somewhat.  Certainly don't see them getting out of the Championship at all quickly.

Similarly away games too far from all those supporters buses up north.

There would an opportunity to put together a good league in Scotland.  Set up a financial structure to maintain some kind of balance, refereeing to protect skillful players and the league might turn out to be better to watch.

It'd certainly make me happy.

If Rangers/Celtics reserves allowed to play in Scotland, I'd stop going.

Hearts vs Morecambe, Carlisle, Crawley Town and Stevenage! (And those are some of the big games). We can only dream.

Comparing those to Hamilton, Partick, Ross County, ICT......

Let's be honest there is almost nothing in it.

Plus we'd also be in a 20 team league so no repetitive shite 4 times a season.

Realistic chance of promotion as well. Move up a league and it would be amazing how quickly things change.

Comparing those to Hamilton, Partick, Ross County, ICT......

Let's be honest there is almost nothing in it.

Plus we'd also be in a 20 team league so no repetitive shite 4 times a season.

Realistic chance of promotion as well. Move up a league and it would be amazing how quickly things change.

It's not a comparison though. The ones I listed could be our biggest games so the comparison there is Aberdeen, Hibs, Rangers and Celtic. No comparison in other words.

Archived