US Elections 2016

JamboX2

Even though the link says she works for the Daily Torygraph?  

I know she is travel writer for both, but I suppose saying Telegraph journalist advocates tolerance wouldn't have the same oomph.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Watt-Zeefuik

• niblick1874

• alwaysthereinspirit

• Maple Leaf

Totally agree with the first half of your post.

Not so sure about your second. Your use of "the Left" seems rather loose. You really think the Democrats are Left? You really think that the economic and social polices over the last 40 years are the work of "the Left"?

The fact you refer to Sanders and Corbyn as "extremist nutters" shows how little the "middle ground" knows. This is exactly why Clinton got beat! The "middle" has shifted to the right, hence the perpetuation of the neoliberal globalist agenda. That is the thing that has to change and centrists are not going to do that. This is what allows demagogues to enthuse an alienated electorate.

"the Left" isn't to blame as the Left hasn't been in power and hasn't had the opportunity to help these millions of citizens and "little people".

:Agree:

Even though the link says she works for the Daily Torygraph?  

I know she is travel writer for both, but I suppose saying Telegraph journalist advocates tolerance wouldn't have the same oomph.

Yeah, I'd probably fit in well at the guardian.

Police calling protests as riots due to the amount of criminal damage and dangerous behaviour in Oregon.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/11/11/us/oregon-protest-riot/index.html

Really sad state off affairs seeing people commit acts of violence because they don't agree with the outcome of a democratic election.

Trump labelling them 'Professional Protestors incited by the media'.

I understand the frustration and anger but he is calling it correct on this one. The protestors should aim their anger at the other candidates and parties who failed to speak to the American people.

He is not a politician. People should think about what that means to those they are talking to about this. Only someone that was not under there thumb would count to them. This is a ridiculous for them but here we are. For me, **** knows, but fingers crossed because that's all there is. He is saying that he want's to drain the swamp, I will be watching and the first sing of him looking like he is at it I will be all over it. Watch me.

:rofl:

:blahblah:

:conf11:

Trump won because he appears to offer change.  Not neccessarily that his policies are in step with the zeitgeist, but just that they offer change.

Yes, people are pissed off, but had Bernie Sanders won the Democratic ticket, he may well have won.  Obviously we will never know, but had he, that kind of negates your last two sentences.

And to show Clinton as some how progressive or PC.  Ha!  

So, as I said earlier, will be interesting to see how much The Donald actually delivers of his vague promises.  He isn't going to redistribute wealth or change the economic system, far from it.  He's as much of an apologist for the type of capitalism that we have now as Clinton.

Not sure how anything you said there negates anything I said Boris.

Bernie Sanders may have had to actually have a campaign built on policies and not selling the fact he has breasts and the guy over there is the anti-christ.

Clinton in my eyes is very much the PC politician.  The fact she tried to capitalise on the ethnic vote was quite frankly nauseating.  As if she truly gives a shit about Jesus and Jose in a San Diego slum.  Clinton is the kind of politician (like her European sisterhood counterparts) that thinks a room full of 20 African Americans and 1 white American is being diverse.  A woman who would sell her own daughter just for a photo opportunity with a Muslim child just so the world sees her as a tolerant woman.  She quite frankly makes me sick.  The desperation from people like her for the world to see her as  a tolerant progressive is ridiculous. 

There was so much of what Trump talked about I don?t agree with. Abortion for one.  This ?pro-life? nonsense is just another bullshit way to keep their bullshit religious beliefs going.  However, Trump offers us (and I mean us as others will follow) an end to this relentless PC shit that is sweeping the Western world.  I am so done with it I can barely see straight.

And let?s not shoot a politician for not being to implement all he promises, surely you in your superior wisdom know how hard it is to pass bills etc in Parliament.  He is after all 1 Donald Trump in a house of hundreds.

Anyone with a modicum of intelligence will have seen Trumps campaign for what it was though. A big show with a hell of a lot of tongue in cheek spiel. I am certain he means business on wanting to to ?win America back? though. An America that Obama sold out to anyone or anything that may have been offended or angry if it spoke it?s mind.  I love America, I used to live there and enjoy my trips over there.  I really hope next time I am over it will be a ?better America?.

Edited by i8hibsh

Riddley Walker

:rofl:

:blahblah:

:conf11:

He's genuinely beyond parody. No matter how much gullible nonsense he spouts which is proven wrong, there's always the next thing he's researched which will bring down the system.

The negation is your association of the likes of Clinton with being "left" or "progressive".  They are the personification of conservatism, i.e. no change, status quo etc etc etc

The negation is your association of the likes of Clinton with being "left" or "progressive".  They are the personification of conservatism, i.e. no change, status quo etc etc etc

Progressive to you is not progressive to me my good man.

As much as those suit/tie/red baseball cap wearing shrill creeps piss everyone off, it is comforting to think they are being played.  All the shite about the Clintons and building a physical wall will fade into the distance with time.

He also wants large scale infrastructure projects which will not happen any time soon, as he will not (and won't be allowed) to put public money into them. A few will be cherry picked by private companies but the unprofitable ones will be left to rot.

He certainly isn't even a modern global neoliberal as he wants trade barriers, he wants large import duties. This will trigger tit for tats with other trading blocks imposing their own tariffs. So US exports will suffer, harming their own economy and workers.

And who is going to round up 11 million undocumented immigrants? The army? I saw an interview on a US news channel about generals taking legal advice on whether they can be forced to do this.

It's all bluster and bollocks. He will be gone in a couple of years, give people like that enough rope, etc. Look forward to President Pence, what a creepy wee shite he is,

Progressive to you is not progressive to me my good man.

Politically, I'm not really sure what your definition of progressive is!

It seems to me that you see it as, and correct me if I am wrong, a pejorative term.  A bit like your scatter gun use of the term "left".  That said, it may be that 99.9% of politics and political views are to the left of yours, although that doesn't make them leftist, per se.

As much as those suit/tie/red baseball cap wearing shrill creeps piss everyone off, it is comforting to think they are being played.  All the shite about the Clintons and building a physical wall will fade into the distance with time.

He also wants large scale infrastructure projects which will not happen any time soon, as he will not (and won't be allowed) to put public money into them. A few will be cherry picked by private companies but the unprofitable ones will be left to rot.

He certainly isn't even a modern global neoliberal as he wants trade barriers, he wants large import duties. This will trigger tit for tats with other trading blocks imposing their own tariffs. So US exports will suffer, harming their own economy and workers.

And who is going to round up 11 million undocumented immigrants? The army? I saw an interview on a US news channel about generals taking legal advice on whether they can be forced to do this.

It's all bluster and bollocks. He will be gone in a couple of years, give people like that enough rope, etc. Look forward to President Pence, what a creepy wee shite he is,

Good post.

Good post.

It's 'only' four years and there should hopefully be enough in place to stall or halt his wilder ideas.

Progressive is the latest buzz word politicians use to talk up their ideas and policies. It's a sales word used to make what you're selling sound better than the rest in the hope people buy it or in the case of politicians vote for them.

Edited by Dannie Boy

Bernie Sanders may have had to actually have a campaign built on policies and not selling the fact he has breasts and the guy over there is the anti-christ.

Clinton in my eyes is very much the PC politician.  The fact she tried to capitalise on the ethnic vote was quite frankly nauseating.  As if she truly gives a shit about Jesus and Jose in a San Diego slum.  Clinton is the kind of politician (like her European sisterhood counterparts) that thinks a room full of 20 African Americans and 1 white American is being diverse.  A woman who would sell her own daughter just for a photo opportunity with a Muslim child just so the world sees her as a tolerant woman.  She quite frankly makes me sick.  The desperation from people like her for the world to see her as  a tolerant progressive is ridiculous. 

There was so much of what Trump talked about I don?t agree with. Abortion for one.  This ?pro-life? nonsense is just another bullshit way to keep their bullshit religious beliefs going.  However, Trump offers us (and I mean us as others will follow) an end to this relentless PC shit that is sweeping the Western world.  I am so done with it I can barely see straight.

And let?s not shoot a politician for not being to implement all he promises, surely you in your superior wisdom know how hard it is to pass bills etc in Parliament.  He is after all 1 Donald Trump in a house of hundreds.

Anyone with a modicum of intelligence will have seen Trumps campaign for what it was though. A big show with a hell of a lot of tongue in cheek spiel. I am certain he means business on wanting to to ?win America back? though. An America that Obama sold out to anyone or anything that may have been offended or angry if it spoke it?s mind.  I love America, I used to live there and enjoy my trips over there.  I really hope next time I am over it will be a ?better America?.

I speak to quite a lot of people from the US, normal tourists, ordinary working people. None of them had a good word about Bernie. Bit of a shame really. They absolutely had a hair up their arse about China though. They hated the fact that most things are made there. (Ironic that the former Marxist-Leninist-Maoist state embraced neoliberalism (monetarism,capitalism, or whatever the buzzword is this week) albeit with their own brand of vicious authoritarianism) . They kind of want their cake and to eat it.  They want to grow rich on exports but not open their own markets up. Saying that, they don't seem to like the more "visible" brands of their globalisation, Starbucks, Disney stores, etc.

Francis Albert

On your reading the people who voted for him will still be here in four years, and angrier and more determined and feeling more left out than they were this year.

I hope he makes a difference, or at least is seen to try to make difference, for those people.

Edited by Francis Albert

Francis Albert

On your reading the people who voted for him will still be here in four years, and angrier and more determined and feeling more left out than they were this year.

I hope he succeeds in making a difference for those people, or at least is seen to be trying to.

I hope he makes a difference, or at least is seen to try to make difference, for those people.

Or disillusioned. The default setting. 

I speak to quite a lot of people from the US, normal tourists, ordinary working people. None of them had a good word about Bernie. Bit of a shame really. They absolutely had a hair up their arse about China though. They hated the fact that most things are made there. (Ironic that the former Marxist-Leninist-Maoist state embraced neoliberalism (monetarism,capitalism, or whatever the buzzword is this week) albeit with their own brand of vicious authoritarianism) . They kind of want their cake and to eat it.  They want to grow rich on exports but not open their own markets up. Saying that, they don't seem to like the more "visible" brands of their globalisation, Starbucks, Disney stores, etc.

Someone needs to tackle China.

Shadow banking, cheap exports, closed markets and so on and so on

Trump just might do that

He is not a politician. People should think about what that means to those they are talking to about this. Only someone that was not under there thumb would count to them. This is a ridiculous for them but here we are. For me, **** knows, but fingers crossed because that's all there is. He is saying that he want's to drain the swamp, I will be watching and the first sing of him looking like he is at it I will be all over it. Watch me.

He is. He became a politician the night he was endorsed as the Republican candidate. He is a politician alright. His acceptance speech proved that.

Someone needs to tackle China.

Shadow banking, cheap exports, closed markets and so on and so on

Trump just might do that

Shadow banking isn't just a Chinese thing and cheap exports are getting less cheap. Improvements in living and labour conditions in India and China are pushing up prices. No bad thing for the poor sods in sweat shops. There may come a tipping point anyway, where goods made locally are preferable due to not a great deal of difference in price and much easier/quicker availability.  A lot of exports from China this year have been considerably delayed. Its pissing off a lot of suppliers and their distributors.

It's 'only' four years and there should hopefully be enough in place to stall or halt his wilder ideas.

I don't think this will be the case. The GOP have control of the Senate and House of Representatives and they're going to appoint some ultra right lunatic to the Supreme Court. He'll be able to do whatever the hell he wants within reason. The wall won't happen due to costs but there'll be a load of other stuff done that will make life measurably worse for many people. There will be an increase in voter suppression, an increase in gerrymandering if that's actually possible and an increase in "religious freedom" laws that are used to persecute gay people. Just take a look at the crap his VP has come out with regarding gay rights.

I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

Francis Albert

Shadow banking isn't just a Chinese thing and cheap exports are getting less cheap. Improvements in living and labour conditions in India and China are pushing up prices. No bad thing for the poor sods in sweat shops. There may come a tipping point anyway, where goods made locally are preferable due to not a great deal of difference in price and much easier/quicker availability.  A lot of exports from China this year have been considerably delayed. Its pissing off a lot of suppliers and their distributors.

Its not just cheap labour that fuels Chinese exports. There is a politically determined low exchange rate which makes exports cheaper and imports to China more expensive. Effectively a subsidy (or negative tariff) for exports and a tariff on imports. Whatever "free trade deal" is made with China I cannot see China giving up its right to set its exchange rate, so these effective tariffs will remain.

A similar thing applies in the Euro zone. The Euro is undervalued compare to how the market would value a stand alone Mark and the Euro overvalued compared to what a stand alone Drachma would be worth. So German exports are cheaper in Greece and Greek exports to Germany more expensive.

Its all good though because it globalisation with free markets!

Its not just cheap labour that fuels Chinese exports. There is a politically determined low exchange rate which makes exports cheaper and imports to China more expensive. Effectively a subsidy (or negative tariff) for exports and a tariff on imports. Whatever "free trade deal" is made with China I cannot see China giving up its right to set its exchange rate, so these effective tariffs will remain.

A similar thing applies in the Euro zone. The Euro is undervalued compare to how the market would value a stand alone Mark and the Euro overvalued compared to what a stand alone Drachma would be worth. So German exports are cheaper in Greece and Greek exports to Germany more expensive.

Something our current Government is happily telling the World that the post-Brexit UK is free market daft!

Francis Albert

Something our current Government is happily telling the World that the post-Brexit UK is free market daft!

agree it's naive and simplistic. It all depends on the terms and economic realities

Free markets are fine- but what we have are NOT free markets.

And its all good BUT you can only have free market where there is reasonably level pay, conditions etc for workers

-though this is not what China really wants as the likes of Apple would leave, and Dyson and so on would return to the west

ie what Trump wants- a level playing field so that America can re-open its manufacturing, and communities can be re-born

Is that not what the LEFT should have been campaigning for?

Its like Mexico will be panicking as the NAFTA meant manufacturing shifted to Mexico from the States- "big business " profits rose, Americans lost their jobs.

Same as we get here from "outsourcing"

Exports from China are generally paid in USD and even before brexit, prices were increasing. They are artificially kept low but it cannot stay like that forever more. Internal pressures from workers demanding better conditions and pay are driving up unit costs. It's a process they cannot reverse or stall without massive resentment from their population. Trouble ahead for China.

Good post.

Well said. Id be more worried about a President Pence.  That man seeks guidance from the " good lord"... absolute nutter

Well said. Id be more worried about a President Pence.  That man seeks guidance from the " good lord"... absolute nutter

Well, better the Good Lord than the Dark Lord, I suppose.

Free markets are fine- but what we have are NOT free markets.

And its all good BUT you can only have free market where there is reasonably level pay, conditions etc for workers

-though this is not what China really wants as the likes of Apple would leave, and Dyson and so on would return to the west

ie what Trump wants- a level playing field so that America can re-open its manufacturing, and communities can be re-born

Is that not what the LEFT should have been campaigning for?

Its like Mexico will be panicking as the NAFTA meant manufacturing shifted to Mexico from the States- "big business " profits rose, Americans lost their jobs.

Same as we get here from "outsourcing"

The Left has always campaigned for this.  If by Left you mean Clinton, then of course not.  Don't be silly.

Craig Gordons Gloves

I don't think this will be the case. The GOP have control of the Senate and House of Representatives and they're going to appoint some ultra right lunatic to the Supreme Court. He'll be able to do whatever the hell he wants within reason. The wall won't happen due to costs but there'll be a load of other stuff done that will make life measurably worse for many people. There will be an increase in voter suppression, an increase in gerrymandering if that's actually possible and an increase in "religious freedom" laws that are used to persecute gay people. Just take a look at the crap his VP has come out with regarding gay rights.

I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

The SCOTUS issue is the one that is of greater concern as they don't have term limits.  Trump will be under pressure to appoint someone that is very right wing christian fundamentalist.  Then all it takes is for a few organizations to launch cases against abortion, gay marriage, equality etc and the implications could be longer lasting.  You're absolutely right about Pence, the guy is a hateful individual that believes god is the answer for alot which as we all know is bollocks.  

What is also worrying is that Trump is putting together his transition team to take over - names include the guy who runs the Family Research Council which has been designated a hate group.  He's going to have some work to keep the fringe lunatics that he courted at bay.  

On his plans to repeal Obamacare - which as we all know, isn't perfect - i'm concerned about 2 things on that. The possibility that lifetime caps come back into place and also the rules around pre-existing conditions are scrapped.  Whatever he replaces it with, it also needs reform of the health insurance and health care industries.  One of our close friends daughters has had heart problems since birth and has gone through various surgeries etc and will need more at some point - at present, they don't have to worry much beyond their premiums, deductible and co-pay.  If lifetime caps and pre-existing condition rules come back then they're screwed.  As will many people be.  

maroonlegions

A silver dollar for every poor American child , aint going to happen.  He is the embodiment of corporate wealth :toff: ffs.. :laugh4:

Another forked tongue manipulator.  :laugh4:

A silver dollar for every poor American child , aint going to happen.  He is the embodiment of corporate wealth :toff: ffs.. :laugh4:

Another forked tongue manipulator.  :laugh4:

Glad it amuses you.

maroonlegions

Glad it amuses you.

Are you, well in what context??

I will tell you then, what amuses me is the utter gullibility of a percentage of people who voted for him. In short humanities condition when it comes to trusting politicians, that gullibility  that stretches from a historical perspective.

There is nothing funny about a raving lunatic in charge of the USA.

And so it begins, the cyber war of the coming new world order. There are those who are fighting back in a non violent way and long may it continue , this war is now a cyber one. 

Name and shame the rats.

Anonymous Begins Publishing Identities of KKK Politicians and Cops

As we recently reported, the hacktivist group Anonymous has declared all out war on the Ku Klux Klan, vowing to expose those members who have infiltrated police?
COUNTERCURRENTNEWS.COM

Edited by maroonlegions

The American electorate were in a Catch 22. Both presendential candidates were awful. Regardless of who had won. Not alot will be changing for the average American. They should have had the courage to have said NONE OF THE ABOVE. Still they get another opportunity in 4 years time. Perharps before if Trump has a JFK dome to him. Which I wouldn't be surprised at.

The American electorate were in a Catch 22. Both presendential candidates were awful. Regardless of who had won. Not alot will be changing for the average American. They should have had the courage to have said NONE OF THE ABOVE. Still they get another opportunity in 4 years time. Perharps before if Trump has a JFK dome to him. Which I wouldn't be surprised at.

It would surprise me.  I think all the gun nuts voted for him.

Almost half of them did say "none of the above", by virtue of not voting, or voting for another candidate.

Edited by Peebo

Francis Albert

He is. He became a politician the night he was endorsed as the Republican candidate. He is a politician alright. His acceptance speech proved that.

His acceptance speech contained everything you'd expect from a politician. Healing wounds and divisions, extravagant praise for his opponent, let's work together. Meaningless perhaps but what you have to say.

Hillary's concession speech revealed just what a hopeless candidate she was. Her congratulations consisted of "I phoned to congratulate him last night". She missed the opportunity (for the Democratic Party if not for her, but then it's always been about her) to say something about recognising the anger and frustration of the millions who voted for Trump and that the Democratic party had to work to win back what used to be its core support. Starting with supporting measures Trump promised to improve opportunities for the working class. Instead waffle about cracking if not breaking the highest glass ceiling (as if one woman's election would solve women's problems any more than electing one black man transformed blacks' lives). Enormously smug stuff from her running mate about her decades of selfless public service.

She'd just lost to someone widely regarded as one of the worst Presidential candidates in American history but not a trace of self-awareness or humbleness about her part in that.

His acceptance speech contained everything you'd expect from a politician. Healing wounds and divisions, extravagant praise for his opponent, let's work together. Meaningless perhaps but what you have to say.

Hillary's concession speech revealed just what a hopeless candidate she was. Her congratulations consisted of "I phoned to congratulate him last night". She missed the opportunity (for the Democratic Party if not for her, but then it's always been about her) to say something about recognising the anger and frustration of the millions who voted for Trump and that the Democratic party had to work to win back what used to be its core support. Starting with supporting measures Trump promised to improve opportunities for the working class. Instead waffle about cracking if not breaking the highest glass ceiling (as if one woman's election would solve women's problems any more than electing one black man transformed blacks' lives). Enormously smug stuff from her running mate about her decades of selfless public service.

She'd just lost to someone widely regarded as one of the worst Presidential candidates in American history but not a trace of self-awareness or humbleness about her part in that.

I thought hers was pretty good and struck the right tone whilst his attempt at reconciliation sounded much less natural than his drain the swamp/ lock her up crowd orchestration. I have a feeling that presidential mode will be much less fun for him than Apprentice mode and once the novelty of Pres Trump wears off and the hard work starts I bet he wishes he could trade it all in.

Another great piece of failed rhetoric is the CNN staged interview with their own ex cameraman pretending to be an average protestor. Don Lemon unwittingly lets the cat out the bag. Absolutely hilarious righteous indignation. After this cycle with the D Brazille fiasco they seem to be aiming for the same level of journalistic integrity as the Huff Post.

Whilst on the subject of rhetoric, I am loving the 'what do I tell my kids' crap from the past few days that Van Jones's tearjerking has mobilised.

How bout you tell your kids that life isn't f%?king fair and the best lesson is to try, try again you over medicated, over sentimentalised safe spaced twats.

I will tell you then, what amuses me is the utter gullibility of a percentage of people who voted for him. In short humanities condition when it comes to trusting politicians, that gullibility  that stretches from a historical perspective.

And so it begins, the cyber war of the coming new world order. There are those who are fighting back in a non violent way and long may it continue , this war is now a cyber one. 

Name and shame the rats.

As we recently reported, the hacktivist group Anonymous has declared all out war on the Ku Klux Klan, vowing to expose those members who have infiltrated police?
COUNTERCURRENTNEWS.COM

Everybody is stupid except ML

Francis Albert

I thought hers was pretty good and struck the right tone whilst his attempt at reconciliation sounded much less natural than his drain the swamp/ lock her up crowd orchestration. I have a feeling that presidential mode will be much less fun for him than Apprentice mode and once the novelty of Pres Trump wears off and the hard work starts I bet he wishes he could trade it all in.

Another great piece of failed rhetoric is the CNN staged interview with their own ex cameraman pretending to be an average protestor. Don Lemon unwittingly lets the cat out the bag. Absolutely hilarious righteous indignation. After this cycle with the D Brazille fiasco they seem to be aiming for the same level of journalistic integrity as the Huff Post.

I suppose it depends on whether you prefer straightforward political hypocrisy or self centred maudlin sentiment mixed in with the hypocrisy. I think he will be prepared to work at least as hard as Ronald Reagan did.

J.T.F.Robertson

I thought hers was pretty good and struck the right tone whilst his attempt at reconciliation sounded much less natural than his drain the swamp/ lock her up crowd orchestration. I have a feeling that presidential mode will be much less fun for him than Apprentice mode

I also thought she came across as much more genuine than she ever achieved in the run-up. Her strategy always struck me as as forced/false which was noticeable by it's absence in the concession.

For what my opinion's worth, I believe he'll be found to be way out of his depth. When you see the dignity and the intellect projected by Obama, then look at this guy, well I utterly despair as to how anyone could fall for it, disenfranchised or no.

I also thought she came across as much more genuine than she ever achieved in the run-up. Her strategy always struck me as as forced/false which was noticeable by it's absence in the concession.

For what my opinion's worth, I believe he'll be found to be way out of his depth. When you see the dignity and the intellect projected by Obama, then look at this guy, well I utterly despair as to how anyone could fall for it, disenfranchised or no.

Jim:

"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter".  Winston Churchill.

Many of us have been surprised by Trump's victory but, in hindsight, we shouldn't have been.  Some of the 'man-in-the-street' interviews I saw on TV leading up to the election left me shaking my head in disbelief.

I will tell you then, what amuses me is the utter gullibility of a percentage of people who voted for him. In short humanities condition when it comes to trusting politicians, that gullibility that stretches from a historical perspective.

Name and shame the rats.

COUNTERCURRENTNEWS.COM

Blah blah bluff blah

All talk...just get on with it.

zoltan socrates

Isnt the american dream inclusive of the possibility of joe everyman becoming the president of the usa? Id say politics needs more of these so called inexperienced others, that is the point of our type of democracy, the people are represented by themselves, people are sick of career politicians who by definition cannot be representative of their electorate