US Elections 2016

JamboX2

Isnt the american dream inclusive of the possibility of joe everyman becoming the president of the usa? Id say politics needs more of these so called inexperienced others, that is the point of our type of democracy, the people are represented by themselves, people are sick of career politicians who by definition cannot be representative of their electorate

I'd say that Donald Trump is representative of considerably less of the electorate than someone like Hilary Clinton, for example.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Watt-Zeefuik

• niblick1874

• alwaysthereinspirit

• Maple Leaf

zoltan socrates

I'd say that Donald Trump is representative of considerably less of the electorate than someone like Hilary Clinton, for example.

Well youd be wrong then wouldnt you, or didnt you see the result somehow?

You missed the point though, alot have. People are sick of the establishment politics she represents, the political classes serve themselves, its been proven all across the western world, we dont want that anymore, trump can speak to, empathise with and speak for the average joe, hillary cant, she represents herself and minority causes, minority causes should never take precedence over majority causes otherwise theyll lose elections

Malinga the Swinga

Maybe if the posters on here and some of the sneering pundits on to, Adam Hill, Lily Allen for two, had lost their jobs, their houses and had no future prospects, then they might have a different opinion of those who voted for Trump. In fact, if these American voters were darker skinned and came from Syria or stayed in a camp in France, they would be demanding that they be given jobs, homes and be looked after.

No-one can say they like all of Trumps policies but trying to get jobs for the people who voted him in, and who he promised he would try and help, isn't one of them. Save the billions spent on climate change and invest on the American infrastructure. Let Bono, Sting and Gore donate their money to the already wealthy climate change scientists and their pet projects.

Malinga the Swinga

The SCOTUS issue is the one that is of greater concern as they don't have term limits.  Trump will be under pressure to appoint someone that is very right wing christian fundamentalist.  Then all it takes is for a few organizations to launch cases against abortion, gay marriage, equality etc and the implications could be longer lasting.  You're absolutely right about Pence, the guy is a hateful individual that believes god is the answer for alot which as we all know is bollocks.  

What is also worrying is that Trump is putting together his transition team to take over - names include the guy who runs the Family Research Council which has been designated a hate group.  He's going to have some work to keep the fringe lunatics that he courted at bay.  

On his plans to repeal Obamacare - which as we all know, isn't perfect - i'm concerned about 2 things on that. The possibility that lifetime caps come back into place and also the rules around pre-existing conditions are scrapped.  Whatever he replaces it with, it also needs reform of the health insurance and health care industries.  One of our close friends daughters has had heart problems since birth and has gone through various surgeries etc and will need more at some point - at present, they don't have to worry much beyond their premiums, deductible and co-pay.  If lifetime caps and pre-existing condition rules come back then they're screwed.  As will many people be.

Don't understand how anyone can object to free health care, but millions of Americans do, and that is something they need to work out. It is however their country and they have chosen their President so it is up to them to make the best of it.

Who knows, apart from the usual nutters on here who know all the secrets, he may actually make a success of it.mfor their sakes, I hope so.

Well youd be wrong then wouldnt you, or didnt you see the result somehow?

It's my opinion. Don't think it's a matter of right or wrong.

You missed the point though, alot have. People are sick of the establishment politics she represents, the political classes serve themselves, its been proven all across the western world, we dont want that anymore, trump can speak to, empathise with and speak for the average joe, hillary cant, she represents herself and minority causes, minority causes should never take precedence over majority causes otherwise theyll lose elections

No, I haven't missed that point. Trump was clearly successful in appealing to enough to get him voted in. Fair enough, of that there is no doubt.

My opinion is that Trump, as an individual, is even further removed from the "typical" electorate than Clinton is.

Having lived in Texas for about 6 years, I'm well acquainted with one of the demographics (working class white males) that votes for him in such numbers. I don't believe he is personally aligned with their interests any more than Clinton is. And for the record, it's clear she isn't their cup of tea, either!

Don't understand how anyone can object to free health care, but millions of Americans do, and that is something they need to work out. It is however their country and they have chosen their President so it is up to them to make the best of it.

Who knows, apart from the usual nutters on here who know all the secrets, he may actually make a success of it.mfor their sakes, I hope so.

Don't think anyone would object to free health care. Not sure anyone has tried it, either!

Don't think anyone would object to free health care. Not sure anyone has tried it, either!

I'm being a bit pedantic, but there is no such thing as "free" health care.  In places like Canada, it comes out of general tax revenues.  One way or another, somebody has to pay for it.

I'm being a bit pedantic, but there is no such thing as "free" health care. In places like Canada, it comes out of general tax revenues. One way or another, somebody has to pay for it.

Indeed. My post was getting at that...

alwaysthereinspirit

Maybe a Hillary from 40 - 45 years ago. Not now. Those days are long gone.

Maybe a Hillary from 40 - 45 years ago. Not now. Those days are long gone.

Long gone, indeed. But once.Trump has known absolutely nothing but privilege.

zoltan socrates

It's my opinion. Don't think it's a matter of right or wrong. I do t think your opinion is relevant here, he won, the consensus must be that he appealed to and related to more people than not, more people than not felt he represented them, i see no issue here

No, I haven't missed that point. Trump was clearly successful in appealing to enough to get him voted in. Fair enough, of that there is no doubt. If that is your counter point then yes you have, the point is a non establishment name prepared to address issues the political class refuse to is what the american people wanted

My opinion is that Trump, as an individual, is even further removed from the "typical" electorate than Clinton is.

Having lived in Texas for about 6 years, I'm well acquainted with one of the demographics (working class white males) that votes for him in such numbers. I don't believe he is personally aligned with their interests any more than Clinton is. And for the record, it's clear she isn't their cup of tea, either!

fair enough that is your opinion, def agree with your point that hillary wasnt a realistic option given her establishment career politician status

fair enough that is your opinion, def agree with your point that hillary wasnt a realistic option given her establishment career politician status

You don't think my opinion is relevant? Fair enough. Why you wasting your time responding to it, though?

alwaysthereinspirit

Long gone, indeed. But once.Trump has known absolutely nothing but privilege.

Was in DC last weekend. Did one of the hop on/hop off bus tours. Went by the K through third grade school near the Washington Cathedral.

$40,000 a year. K through 3. I'm in the wrong business.

Indeed. Trump doesn't strike me as the typical gun nut target.

Might be different if he doesn't deliver all the things they think he'll do for them.

Craig Gordons Gloves

Whilst on the subject of rhetoric, I am loving the 'what do I tell my kids' crap from the past few days that Van Jones's tearjerking has mobilised.

How bout you tell your kids that life isn't f%?king fair and the best lesson is to try, try again you over medicated, over sentimentalised safe spaced twats.

Hey Elvoys, **** you. Shall I tell you why my wife and I were worried about what we tell our kids?

1. They're 6 and 7, they don't watch the news but they hear things at school, such as Trump is going to send people back to where they came from. To my kids, that means me and my wife. So we tell them that it's not going to happen and not to worry. Then he wins and the questions/worries start again.

2. Because we teach them to respect everyone and then they find out that Trump wins who doesn't respect everyone.

3. Because their Hispanic friends at school have been worried that a wall is getting built and what does that mean.

Like I said, they're 6 and 7 so don't understand complexities of life. We did speak to them about democracy and that sometimes you don't get the result you want and that you should respect other people's opinions, even if you think them wrong.

But yeah, **** you

The Real Maroonblood

Hey Elvoys, **** you. Shall I tell you why my wife and I were worried about what we tell our kids?

1. They're 6 and 7, they don't watch the news but they hear things at school, such as Trump is going to send people back to where they came from. To my kids, that means me and my wife. So we tell them that it's not going to happen and not to worry. Then he wins and the questions/worries start again.

2. Because we teach them to respect everyone and then they find out that Trump wins who doesn't respect everyone.

3. Because their Hispanic friends at school have been worried that a wall is getting built and what does that mean.

Like I said, they're 6 and 7 so don't understand complexities of life. We did speak to them about democracy and that sometimes you don't get the result you want and that you should respect other people's opinions, even if you think them wrong.

But yeah, **** you

An excellent response.

Whilst on the subject of rhetoric, I am loving the 'what do I tell my kids' crap from the past few days that Van Jones's tearjerking has mobilised.

How bout you tell your kids that life isn't f%?king fair and the best lesson is to try, try again you over medicated, over sentimentalised safe spaced twats.

:lol:  Totally agree. Direct result of children and the student masses of today growing up receiving participation medals/trophies. Unable to process losing. They were canceling classes at colleges and high schools ffs so they could attend counseling. The world truly has lost the plot with the ott PC bullshit. 

An excellent response.

I disagree. If you are sure of your beliefs, you will surely instil them in your kids.

When my son first came home with the "Jimmy says this" chat, I told him that he should never ever believe what any other kid told him unless it was backed up by an adult. It didn't stop him from throwing other kid's nonsense at me, but my consistent response eventually got him questioning his peers rather than his mother and me.

And, there is no reply to elvoy's assertion that life isn't fair. So, for me, not an excellent response.

And, the use of expletives detracts from therealmaroonblood's pointd.

I think there is a massive amount of hyperbole around this.

[...]

In general I think people need to stop throwing labels about in relation to politics and life in general. Whether it's left, right, racist, uneducated etc it's not constructive. When you label people you actually ignore the points and antognise people to form more extreme views.

Social media, IMO, creates a lot of this by forcing people to take a very black and white view when most people are in shades of grey. social media tends to take the extreme and portray it as the norm. This thread kind of demonstrates that.

It's bizarre that people think that this result is evidence of a large scale rejection by Americans of a liberal or progressive agenda - or that previous results meant overwhelming support by Americans for such an agenda.  In fact for the most part, American Presidential elections are won at the margins.  George W. Bush would have lost in 2000 if Gore had received 738 additional votes in Florida.  Kerry would have won with maybe 200,000 more votes in 2004 (out of 120 million).  Even Obama's 2008 "landslide" was a 53-46 win, and his margin in 2012 was 51-47.  In 2016, Hillary Clinton won more votes across the country than Donald Trump, and 120,000 more votes in three states would have left her with a 278-260 win in the electoral college.

When the Republicans win, liberals and progressives always fear the turning back of the clock; when the Democrats win, conservatives always ask where their country has gone; the truth is that America is still there and the clock keeps moving forward.

Francis Albert

It's bizarre that people think that this result is evidence of a large scale rejection by Americans of a liberal or progressive agenda - or that previous results meant overwhelming support by Americans for such an agenda.  In fact for the most part, American Presidential elections are won at the margins.  George W. Bush would have lost in 2000 if Gore had received 738 additional votes in Florida.  Kerry would have won with maybe 200,000 more votes in 2004 (out of 120 million).  Even Obama's 2008 "landslide" was a 53-46 win, and his margin in 2012 was 51-47.  In 2016, Hillary Clinton won more votes across the country than Donald Trump, and 120,000 more votes in three states would have left her with a 278-260 win in the electoral college.

When the Republicans win, liberals and progressives always fear the turning back of the clock; when the Democrats win, conservatives always ask where their country has gone; the truth is that America is still there and the clock keeps moving forward.

And of course Kennedy won in 1960 because of some pretty dubious vote rigging in Illinois. 

zoltan socrates

You don't think my opinion is relevant? Fair enough. Why you wasting your time responding to it, though?

Then once again you miss the point, your opinion isnt relevant because trump was voted in, your opinion is nullified by the fact the he appealed to the greater percentage, its not a dig at you mate, its a fact

To be very clear, your opinion that hillary appealed to the greater percentage was disproven upon the result of the election

And of course Kennedy won in 1960 because of some pretty dubious vote rigging in Illinois. 

Your statement is on a tangent to the point I was making, even though the 1960 election is a very good illustration of the point I was making. 

Illinois, 1960 was one of the most scrutinised and challenged election results in American history.  Errors were found in favour of both candidates, but the only "evidence" of vote manipulation came by way of claims and allegations made by Republican party sources. 

In any case, if Kennedy had lost Illinois he would have won the election anyway, by 276-246.

Then once again you miss the point, your opinion isnt relevant because trump was voted in, your opinion is nullified by the fact the he appealed to the greater percentage, its not a dig at you mate, its a fact

To be very clear, your opinion that hillary appealed to the greater percentage was disproven upon the result of the election

Hillary Clinton received more votes coast to coast than Donald Trump did.  That's not how the election was to be won or lost, and she lost in the electoral college, but it is incorrect to say that Trump appealed to a higher percentage of voters.

A lot of people seem to have difficulty understanding people don't necessarily share their opinion. It's not out of evil intent, it's just they believe there is a better way to go about achieving the same thing. The world keeps spinning irrespective.

I'm an unabashed supporter of what Americans would call a liberal or progressive agenda.  Even so, I know a few honourable and decent conservatives and I know a few progressives I'd walk across a motorway to avoid.  For reasons related to my own political priorities Bill Clinton tops my list of American Presidents, but on a more objective analysis I'd rate Nixon and Eisenhower as better Presidents than most.  Hillary Clinton was a shadow of the politician that her husband was, and would have been an average President, just as Bush Junior and Obama were.  A better Democrat candidate could have won in 2016, though I doubt that Sanders was the man for the task.  But that's all water under the bridge,because Donald Trump won.  I can't see him having the temperament to do the job, but that's just my opinion and I could be wrong. 

On a complete tangent, my biggest source of angst about this campaign was not about personalities and policies; it was about age.  In 1992, Bill Clinton was the first American President who was younger than my parents.  In 2008, Barack Obama was only a few months older than me (and quelle surprise, he still is).  I find it a bit retrograde that the two main candidates this time were almost as old as my mother.  I don't mean that unkindly to people who are a bit older than my already advancing years; I just found 2016 a bit of a throwback to the 90s.

Francis Albert

Your statement is on a tangent to the point I was making, even though the 1960 election is a very good illustration of the point I was making. 

Illinois, 1960 was one of the most scrutinised and challenged election results in American history.  Errors were found in favour of both candidates, but the only "evidence" of vote manipulation came by way of claims and allegations made by Republican party sources. 

In any case, if Kennedy had lost Illinois he would have won the election anyway, by 276-246.

Sorry, I thought my point was an illustration of the point you were making.

Sorry, I thought my point was an illustration of the point you were making.

Or maybe I didn't make my point as well as intended.  I wasn't talking about how campaigning or "get the vote out" (whether dubious or otherwise) affects the result; I was more thinking of the statistical vagaries you get in an election, and how big a difference tiny margins can make.

I'm an unabashed supporter of what Americans would call a liberal or progressive agenda.  Even so, I know a few honourable and decent conservatives and I know a few progressives I'd walk across a motorway to avoid.  For reasons related to my own political priorities Bill Clinton tops my list of American Presidents, but on a more objective analysis I'd rate Nixon and Eisenhower as better Presidents than most.  Hillary Clinton was a shadow of the politician that her husband was, and would have been an average President, just as Bush Junior and Obama were.  A better Democrat candidate could have won in 2016, though I doubt that Sanders was the man for the task.  But that's all water under the bridge,because Donald Trump won.  I can't see him having the temperament to do the job, but that's just my opinion and I could be wrong. 

On a complete tangent, my biggest source of angst about this campaign was not about personalities and policies; it was about age.  In 1992, Bill Clinton was the first American President who was younger than my parents.  In 2008, Barack Obama was only a few months older than me (and quelle surprise, he still is).  I find it a bit retrograde that the two main candidates this time were almost as old as my mother.  I don't mean that unkindly to people who are a bit older than my already advancing years; I just found 2016 a bit of a throwback to the 90s.

Without wishing to be creepy, the chances of Trump dying in office can't be trivial. He's 70, a few stone overweight and will have a heavy schedule and a lot of stress. Plenty of people die in those circumstances.

Without wishing to be creepy, the chances of Trump dying in office can't be trivial. He's 70, a few stone overweight and will have a heavy schedule and a lot of stress. Plenty of people die in those circumstances.

If you take an average group of 1000 American men aged 70, 104 will die within 4 years, and 234 will die within 8.

That's an average covering all men in the population, including the ill, heavy smokers and drinkers, and so on, which means you can't predict what would happen to any particular individual.

Source: United States Social Security Administration.    https://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/table4c6.html

J.T.F.Robertson

Jim:

"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter".  Winston Churchill.

Many of us have been surprised by Trump's victory but, in hindsight, we shouldn't have been.  Some of the 'man-in-the-street' interviews I saw on TV leading up to the election left me shaking my head in disbelief.

W.C. isn't only a quoter's dream, he knew his stuff. It's actually blatantly obvious, he just had a way of putting it out there.

I suppose it's a bit like life ...... it beats the alternative. (insofar as we can know)

Really good piece by a senior Democrat, accepting and acknowledging that Trump and his team ran a smarter campaign.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/11/opinion/what-i-got-wrong-about-the-election.html

The gro

But yeah, **** you

I see that his dark cloud has influenced the level of decorum on your side too which is a shame as your first part could have used a James Horner soundtrack.

It's not that complex, the baddies win too. Life isn't a happy ever after. I find it hard to believe that kids can live in the age of ISIS videos but it is DJ Trump that is keeping them awake at night. Also my kids were born in a country that they will never be entitled to citizenship for and I will have no problems teaching them that for 90% of the world borders and sovereignty means exactly that. I will also tell them that  most countries have no problem enforcing them but that the west at the moment is in a moral dilemma because we see ourselves as the world's Mother Teresa. But at the same time I will tell them  it is an understandable quandary.

I will also tell them that when Kenya does this to millions of Somalian (actual refugees) and breaks up families, SJWs couldn't give a flying toss cos they are so insular and frankly ignorant to the wider world outside their college dorm and that for them, the white man is the root of all evil.  But forget the  kids for a minute, they have always been kids. What this really shows a general infantilisation of adults.  And it is fair to say this oaf has pretty much completed the mother of all triggerings for the snowflake generation.  

Geoff Kilpatrick

The gro

I see that his dark cloud has influenced the level of decorum on your side too which is a shame as your first part could have used a James Horner soundtrack.

It's not that complex, the baddies win too. Life isn't a happy ever after. I find it hard to believe that kids can live in the age of ISIS videos but it is DJ Trump that is keeping them awake at night. Also my kids were born in a country that they will never be entitled to citizenship for and I will have no problems teaching them that for 90% of the world borders and sovereignty means exactly that. I will also tell them that most countries have no problem enforcing them but that the west at the moment is in a moral dilemma because we see ourselves as the world's Mother Teresa. But at the same time I will tell them it is an understandable quandary.

I will also tell them that when Kenya does this to millions of Somalian (actual refugees) and breaks up families, SJWs couldn't give a flying toss cos they are so insular and frankly ignorant to the wider world outside their college dorm and that for them, the white man is the root of all evil. But forget the kids for a minute, they have always been kids. What this really shows a general infantilisation of adults. And it is fair to say this oaf has pretty much completed the mother of all triggerings for the snowflake generation.

You are Richard Littlejohn and I claim ?5!

CGG actually lives in the States and will be living under the wig's rule. I think he has more of a right to be concerned about his future than your disparaging dismissal.

I hope not. His VP is truly ****ing scary.

Seymour M Hersh

CGG actually lives in the States and will be living under the wig's rule. I think he has more of a right to be concerned about his future than your disparaging dismissal.

Well you lot managed to get rid and survive this creature's rule!

post-1316-0-89790000-1478935967_thumb.jpeg

I lasted about two minutes - too much swearing for me. Detracts from the point (whatever it was) he was trying to make.

Should have stuck with it. Really really good video unlike 99.9% of the 'political' shite on you tube.

Edited by i8hibsh

Ha! A lot of the derided at the Daily Heil are actually pretty impressive figures. I could only name a handful from the Guardian for example that would be able to actually debate with P Hitchens for example.

Anyhows, CGG has every right to be concerned and tell me to get to France and I have every right to belittle the playing of the 'what do I tell my children' card, which imo is a tendency to signal towards feelsies which exists beyond this particular event.   

Geoff Kilpatrick

Ha! A lot of the derided at the Daily Heil are actually pretty impressive figures. I could only name a handful from the Guardian for example that would be able to actually debate with P Hitchens for example.

Anyhows, CGG has every right to be concerned and tell me to get to France and I have every right to belittle the playing of the 'what do I tell my children' card, which imo is a tendency to signal towards feelsies which exists beyond this particular event.

Doesn't Hitchens write for the Express? I thought the Heil was more Katie Hopkins bag.

Are you suggesting that they are indemnified because they have been discriminated against in the past? Do minorities now have a mandate as payback? An eye for an eye just isn't the answer. No need to even it up, just leave discrimination in the past. Do you think a company should appoint a woman as a board member just because they haven't had one before? I think they should remove the gender and race questions you get when applying for every job.

Sent from my HS-U980 using Tapatalk

No, that wasn't what I was saying, I think you know fine well that wasn't what I was saying.

I was saying that if we didn't have discrimination in the first place, these things would not exist.

We would already have boards with 50/50 gender splits, we would have some with a majority of men, we would have some with a majority of women. Hopefully all based on ability and earned on merit.

I'm not saying black people should protest to "even things up" I'm saying white policemen should stop indiscriminately shooting black people and the need would not exist.

I'm not saying the PC brigade is needed to even up political incorrectness. I'm saying, if we stopped using language and acting in ways offensive to minorities in the first place, the PC brigade would not exist and even if they did, no-one would give them a minutes notice.

I'm not saying one justifies the other or is required for balance, I'm saying, stop being a complete dick to everyone and there's no reason for the world to complain.

As much as it pains me, to agree with a ranting man on a YouTube video, he's bang on with the points he makes.

I see trump is also now saying he will retain parts of the obamacare.

I get the feeling people will realise this guy is not the anti-christ after all. Just an eccentric guy just saying what people have been forced to feel uncomfortable to say in public.

Day 3 of President Elect Trump:

Let's see how his pre-election pledges are doing

"We're going to shut down all Muslims coming here" Dropped.

"Hillary Clinton will be prosecuted" Dropped.

"Obamacare will be repealed" Dropped.

:rofl:

Day 3 of President Elect Trump:

Let's see how his pre-election pledges are doing

"We're going to shut down all Muslims coming here" Dropped.

"Hillary Clinton will be prosecuted" Dropped.

"Obamacare will be repealed" Dropped.

:rofl:

You do know he is not the President yet yeah?