New stand

bigmeg

Except the Wheatfield stand cost ?500 a seat.   Prices have not quadrupled in the last 20 years so you can take your professional opinion and put it somewhere painful.

The H1B5 main stand would not cost ?15 Million to rebuild. Not even close!  You Sir are a pratt!

One of the joys of Kickback is reading the totally idiotic comments from people like you who clearly have a limited capacity to understand the real issues and then resort to personal insults to attempt to make a point.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rudolf's Mate

If we stay at Tynie and redevelop don't we have to secure further land? I thought that was a must in order to do the main stand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If we stay at Tynie and redevelop don't we have to secure further land? I thought that was a must in order to do the main stand.

That could be the announcement that we have secured land! Bit tongue in cheek but I'm wanting this thing built nixt summer so fear I may end up a tad disappointed

Interesting.  I respect your professional opinion, but Preston North End built their new main stand including 22 executive suites, their main club offices and changing rooms, and 5,000 seats for ?9m.  With inflation since then barely over 1% per annum, what would drive the cost so much higher for just a 6k stand?

Briefly, you are incorrect to quote only the Construction contract costs. My original post related to an all embracing budget. To establish this you need to add professional and local authority fees, financing costs, land aquisition, costs of temporary accommodation, loss of income from use of the existing facility, demolition and other site specific costs, etc. Construction inflation and in particular tender price inflation is far higher than RPI. I hope this helps.

Rudolf's Mate

That could be the announcement that we have secured land! Bit tongue in cheek but I'm wanting this thing built nixt summer so fear I may end up a tad disappointed

Yeah it was curiosity. I was sure that it had been mentioned many times that it was a condition on us being able to redevelop and without it it wouldn't be viable to stay in Gorgie.

If that's definitely the case then it's a cost people aren't factoring in when they keep saying we own the land.

Briefly, you are incorrect to quote only the Construction contract costs. My original post related to an all embracing budget. To establish this you need to add professional and local authority fees, financing costs, land aquisition, costs of temporary accommodation, loss of income from use of the existing facility, demolition and other site specific costs, etc. Construction inflation and in particular tender price inflation is far higher than RPI. I hope this helps.

Please also add fit out costs, Utility services upgrades and diversions to this list.

Interesting.  I respect your professional opinion, but Preston North End built their new main stand including 22 executive suites, their main club offices and changing rooms, and 5,000 seats for ?9m.  With inflation since then barely over 1% per annum, what would drive the cost so much higher for just a 6k stand?

Construction industry inflation costs are currently running at over 10% per annum.

I smell a Hibby

No PHM would ever say "Hibby"    :toff:  we as a support have far classier words to describe that shower of shit from lochend. :2thumbsup:

I am pretty sure I said this at the time but the costs for our new stand are confirmed at "?14m once everything has been included". 

"The issue is not planning but how to finance."

These are direct quotes.

Further to earlier to earlier discussions re naming rights I see St Mirren have sold/rented their stadium name for only ?30k per annum. I'm sure we could get a fair amount more than them but the idea it could significantly fund a new stadium seems unlikely.

Hackney Hearts

"?14m once everything has been included". 

"The issue is not planning but how to finance."

Each member of FOH bungs in ?1,750 and we're sorted.

:2thumbsup:

Don't forget that the club spent 1.5 on the design of the stand & hotel back in the mad vlad days. Seems crazy to do another design. Just exclude the hotel.

Simples

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allowayjambo1874

Don't forget that the club spent 1.5 on the design of the stand & hotel back in the mad vlad days. Seems crazy to do another design. Just exclude the hotel.

Simples

Sounds easy but that was put forward in 2007 and cost estimates were ?51m so I'm not sure just taking the hotel out the equation would reduce the price as of today by ?35-40m.

I could be wrong though!!!

jambo-in-furness

No PHM would ever say "Hibby"    :toff:  we as a support have far classier words to describe that shower of shit from lochend. :2thumbsup:

I wouldn't be as presumptuous to call myself a PHM, but as I'm a season ticket holder of five years and never missed a home league game for three despite each home game involving a round trip of 400 miles, and am nearing my virtual piece of Tynie through FOH, my first experience of Tynecastle being in 1960 and seeing Hearts win the league cup, (it wasn't diddy that day) was in Paris in 84 and Munich in 89 I think I'm entitled to call a Hibby a Hibby and not resort to playground name calling that I feel would be below that of a retired person.

Please accept my apology if calling a Hibby a Hibby offended you.

Perhaps one day you may discover that the biggest threat to Hearts comes from the west.

I wouldn't be as presumptuous to call myself a PHM, but as I'm a season ticket holder of five years and never missed a home league game for three despite each home game involving a round trip of 400 miles, and am nearing my virtual piece of Tynie through FOH, my first experience of Tynecastle being in 1960 and seeing Hearts win the league cup, (it wasn't diddy that day) was in Paris in 84 and Munich in 89 I think I'm entitled to call a Hibby a Hibby and not resort to playground name calling that I feel would be below that of a retired person.

Please accept my apology if calling a Hibby a Hibby offended you.

Perhaps one day you may discover that the biggest threat to Hearts comes from the west.

He was joking bud

Except the Wheatfield stand cost ?500 a seat. Prices have not quadrupled in the last 20 years so you can take your professional opinion and put it somewhere painful.

The H1B5 main stand would not cost ?15 Million to rebuild. Not even close! You Sir are a pratt!

:wtf:

I'd to retract my previous award of "most bizarre post on this thread" as we have a new winner. And you have a tag team as well which makes it even more interesting/weird.

Fort Vallance

I have heard that Scott Gardiner has been over in the states (was possibly Texas) looking at modern stadia projects to see if there is anything we can take from them

I believe Scott was there on a trip for his birthday to see Dallas Cowboys. I don't think there was much more in it.

I believe Scott was there on a trip for his birthday to see Dallas Cowboys. I don't think there was much more in it.

As long as folk don't end up referring to Tynecastle as 'The House that Ann Built' we'll be fine.

You clearly do not understand what a "feasibility study" is and what information it contains.

I assume then, that it didn't include costings in your 'major involvement' and you therefore, much like the rest of us, don't have a scoobie how much any of the projects cost, or how much any given Hearts project is likely to cost. This leaves you as much in the dark as we are, unless I misread you.

As a pure amateur with no claim to any expertise, i think if Hibs spent ?6 million on what they built, which is basically a sloping covered and seated area, then we'd be looking at around twice that for a slightly bigger sloping covered and seated area with some extras on and underneath it, such as dressing rooms, corporate facilities and bar(s)

?20 million just for a new stand is not worth doing IMO and we won't be spending anything like that, again IMO.

Simples

Don't forget that was vlad! Was there really 1.5m worth of plans or was it 1500 quids worth of fancy PDFs

That does make a bit more sense, and I didn't know that about construction inflation.  (It hasn't been nearly so high in the US, which I assume is likely a currency effect of some sort.)

I disagree with including financing costs in the top-line figure -- those costs are highly contingent on the financing mechanism, and there are many ways a club like Hearts can minimize those with things like the 500 clubs, supporter loans, and the like.  Certainly some conventional loan dollars will be important, but even there terms will change the number dramatically.  

For purposes of discussion here I'd say setting an up-front cost first, then discussing financing separately, keeps things a bit clearer.

Bazzas right boot

It would be interestin to see the pay back time and what the crowds would need to be to make it viable.

If a new stand is costing ?20m then hopefully the club has exhausted the new stadium idea, a new stadium looks far more lucrative if the stand is costing as much as ?20m, giving the limitations that tynecastle has.

There's lots of costs to consider that drives the price of this project up. For starters it will cost a fortune to demolish the old stand & clear the site before any other works fine. Buying up the land too. Then somehow building a stand that can hold the beans so the corners can be used. All possible but not cheap. Can't wait to see how it's going to be funded. I will up my FHO contribution if this helps.

Bazzas right boot

There's lots of costs to consider that drives the price of this project up. For starters it will cost a fortune to demolish the old stand & clear the site before any other works fine. Buying up the land too. Then somehow building a stand that can hold the beans so the corners can be used. All possible but not cheap. Can't wait to see how it's going to be funded. I will up my FHO contribution if this helps.

That's a generous offer, I would too but can't afford. ?500k a month!

maybe outside investment plus a 500 club type funding issue

whatever it is it will be made very clear when eventually announced

Half baked idea IMO

maybe outside investment plus a 500 club type funding issue

whatever it is it will be made very clear when eventually announced

Do people have the money for this though. The good thing about the monthly Contributions that we currently make us toucan pay what you can afford. If you can afford an addition ?500 you can up your monthly payment.

but seriously, I think the beams at the front of the new stand will be capable of holding up the roof of the Roseburn in the future, meaning the same can also be done at the Gorgie end too. That might be a few years down the line though and be part of an expansion option if the demand is there for it, i.e filling in the corners.

Do people have the money for this though. The good thing about the monthly Contributions that we currently make us toucan pay what you can afford. If you can afford an addition ?500 you can up your monthly payment.

I would guess that there would be tangible benefits associated but your right it could affect peoples FOH payments

but seriously, I think the beams at the front of the new stand will be capable of holding up the roof of the Roseburn in the future, meaning the same can also be done at the Gorgie end too. That might be a few years down the line though and be part of an expansion option if the demand is there for it, i.e filling in the corners.

It will if the supports are located behind the main stand.

Indeed, folks keep bringing up the roof supports as if it's a deal killer.  No idea what they'll go with eventually but there are at least a dozen solutions that any moderately qualified architect could come up with in a 30 minute brainstorming meeting that aren't overly expensive or complex.

Marooned In Oz

Would love to see any new stand be incorprated with a Safe Standing area that can fold into seats for european games if required as they have in Germany

That does make a bit more sense, and I didn't know that about construction inflation.  (It hasn't been nearly so high in the US, which I assume is likely a currency effect of some sort.)

I disagree with including financing costs in the top-line figure -- those costs are highly contingent on the financing mechanism, and there are many ways a club like Hearts can minimize those with things like the 500 clubs, supporter loans, and the like.  Certainly some conventional loan dollars will be important, but even there terms will change the number dramatically.  

For purposes of discussion here I'd say setting an up-front cost first, then discussing financing separately, keeps things a bit clearer.

Finance costs will be considerable to this project and even more so in a new build stadium scenario, given the problems the club will have raising funds on the required scale and the payback timescales given our limited revenue generating capabilities. No well run company will embark on this kind of project without budgeting for all project risks and costs, including finance. These costs may ultimately be the driver as to whether goes ahead or not.

Finance costs will be considerable to this project and even more so in a new build stadium scenario, given the problems the club will have raising funds on the required scale and the payback timescales given our limited revenue generating capabilities. No well run company will embark on this kind of project without budgeting for all project risks and costs, including finance. These costs may ultimately be the driver as to whether goes ahead or not.

Of course.  Finance and construction cost are two very real costs but driven by very separate drivers, with almost no overlap in the issues affecting their amounts.  To wit -- if we're talking about comparing the cost of an expanded and up-fitted Tynecastle with a new stadium, financial considerations change only very slightly between the two (namely whether moving close to the airport would involve some kind of financial windfall from naming rights), while every other factor changes.  

Further, the central question of financing is, "can we attain X pounds up front to complete the project without overburdening the club down the road."  Exactly how many pounds X is required information before we tackle financing. And, for that matter, a key matter inherent to the financing question is, "if we spend X pounds to achieve Y capacity with Z corporate boxes, will the financing pay for itself?"  Which is a question that can't be answered by looking at the bottom-line financing number alone.

Of course we need to be concerned about financing.  But I deny your assertion that for the purposes of discussion, talking about flat up-front costs without financing is somehow misleading or unproductive.

We need to expand the stadium. It will cost a lot of money. But at the same time, we are losing a massive amount of cash because it's to small and in inadequate corporate facilities. 22-23 thousand with better corporate boxes and you could easily make 2-3 million on what we already make.

I assume then, that it didn't include costings in your 'major involvement' and you therefore, much like the rest of us, don't have a scoobie how much any of the projects cost, or how much any given Hearts project is likely to cost. This leaves you as much in the dark as we are, unless I misread you.

As a pure amateur with no claim to any expertise, i think if Hibs spent ?6 million on what they built, which is basically a sloping covered and seated area, then we'd be looking at around twice that for a slightly bigger sloping covered and seated area with some extras on and underneath it, such as dressing rooms, corporate facilities and bar(s)

?20 million just for a new stand is not worth doing IMO and we won't be spending anything like that, again IMO.

Given your obsession with the irrelevant Easter Road, I am beginning to worry if you have a moustache and your employers address is Albion Road or alternatively your real name is Leeanne. Once again, you demonstrate no understanding of quantity surveying and construction processes. The Easter Road feasibility study was one of many thousand projects and commissions that I have undertaken in my forty years plus working life, so many so that like all normal intelligent human beings I do not have the intellectual capacity to remember the details of all, especially insignificant minor projects like Easter Road. Something that you clearly do not understand or intellectually does not apply to you.

In my forty years plus, I have never had my professional competence doubted, but then I have read had to work with clients with your limited intelligence. Perhaps I should arrange for the millions of pounds of professional fees I have generated for myself and my previous employers, to be reimbursed. The difference between you and I is I am more than capable of providing an accurate budget cost for any redevelopment, having done so for all these years. Your statement about "some extras underneath" says a lot about your understanding as to the scope of the project and perhaps explains your hibby estimate.

Finally, please ask someone who actually went to school to read and explain to you what I actually wrote in my original post,"Closer to ?20m rather than ?14m" does not mean ?20m. Please stick to whatever you do for a living and I will continue to live comfortably in semi retirement financed by a continuing sucessful career doing what I am good at, I.e. Quantity Surveying and Construction Cost Consultancy.

Of course.  Finance and construction cost are two very real costs but driven by very separate drivers, with almost no overlap in the issues affecting their amounts.  To wit -- if we're talking about comparing the cost of an expanded and up-fitted Tynecastle with a new stadium, financial considerations change only very slightly between the two (namely whether moving close to the airport would involve some kind of financial windfall from naming rights), while every other factor changes.  

Further, the central question of financing is, "can we attain X pounds up front to complete the project without overburdening the club down the road."  Exactly how many pounds X is required information before we tackle financing. And, for that matter, a key matter inherent to the financing question is, "if we spend X pounds to achieve Y capacity with Z corporate boxes, will the financing pay for itself?"  Which is a question that can't be answered by looking at the bottom-line financing number alone.

Of course we need to be concerned about financing.  But I deny your assertion that for the purposes of discussion, talking about flat up-front costs without financing is somehow misleading or unproductive.

The fundamental problem with the finance are the likely credit rating of the club arising from the previous administration and the fact that much of the project costs are relatively upfront costs as design fees are payed for on a continuing basis, contractors are paid monthly and the resulting cash flow is a S curve, meaning substantial upfront costs with no opportunity for income generation. This is particularly so with the lucrative corporate facilities which cannot be used until the project is no longer a building site but require considerable upfront costs. I beg to differ on your final sentence. A holistic approach is required and I would guess that is what the club will do.

Surely the West Stand at ER is a better comparison regarding costs.

There was a similar lack of space there such as School buildings.

Given your obsession with the irrelevant Easter Road, I am beginning to worry if you have a moustache and your employers address is Albion Road or alternatively your real name is Leeanne. Once again, you demonstrate no understanding of quantity surveying and construction processes. The Easter Road feasibility study was one of many thousand projects and commissions that I have undertaken in my forty years plus working life, so many so that like all normal intelligent human beings I do not have the intellectual capacity to remember the details of all, especially insignificant minor projects like Easter Road. Something that you clearly do not understand or intellectually does not apply to you.

In my forty years plus, I have never had my professional competence doubted, but then I have read had to work with clients with your limited intelligence. Perhaps I should arrange for the millions of pounds of professional fees I have generated for myself and my previous employers, to be reimbursed. The difference between you and I is I am more than capable of providing an accurate budget cost for any redevelopment, having done so for all these years. Your statement about "some extras underneath" says a lot about your understanding as to the scope of the project and perhaps explains your hibby estimate.

Finally, please ask someone who actually went to school to read and explain to you what I actually wrote in my original post,"Closer to ?20m rather than ?14m" does not mean ?20m. Please stick to whatever you do for a living and I will continue to live comfortably in semi retirement financed by a continuing sucessful career doing what I am good at, I.e. Quantity Surveying and Construction Cost Consultancy.

giphy.gif

Dave McCreery's knee

This is a good and important thread to Hearts fans with lots of valid points from non-experts and self proclaimed experts alike. Why not just contribute without the supercilious attitude?

For what its worth, I expect the forthcoming announcement will be to confirm that the club's preferred option is to stay and detailed planning, design and funding options will now be undertaken in earnest. I expect that they will announce the land required at McLeod St has been secured. I expect demolition and construction won't start until summer 2017 at the earliest.

This is a good and important thread to Hearts fans with lots of valid points from non-experts and self proclaimed experts alike. Why not just contribute without the supercilious attitude?

For what its worth, I expect the forthcoming announcement will be to confirm that the club's preferred option is to stay and detailed planning, design and funding options will now be undertaken in earnest. I expect that they will announce the land required at McLeod St has been secured. I expect demolition and construction won't start until summer 2017 at the earliest.

They would be cheaper starting next summer as we could make more money at Muddyfield & save around 7% on construction costs by bringing it forward.

Thoughts?

Dave McCreery's knee

They would be cheaper starting next summer as we could make more money at Muddyfield & save around 7% on construction costs by bringing it forward.

Thoughts?

I don't think the club will be ready to commit for at least another 18 months.

You come across as a thoroughly professional and competent bell end.

I have attempted to do exactly that and received a few idiotic responses. My last post was a direct response to one casting doubts as to my professional competence. Please re-read my previous posts together with the responses received and if you still think my contribution supercilious then I will gladly read what is written and refrain from commenting further.

The fundamental problem with the finance are the likely credit rating of the club arising from the previous administration and the fact that much of the project costs are relatively upfront costs as design fees are payed for on a continuing basis, contractors are paid monthly and the resulting cash flow is a S curve, meaning substantial upfront costs with no opportunity for income generation. This is particularly so with the lucrative corporate facilities which cannot be used until the project is no longer a building site but require considerable upfront costs. I beg to differ on your final sentence. A holistic approach is required and I would guess that is what the club will do.

Again, I do not dispute that finance is important and that it be included in the discussion.  But particularly in the case of Hearts, while commercial lending will be expensive, we have access to alternative forms of financing (the 500 clubs being just one example) that can help with that.  I could even see us doing a limited 100k club for companies to purchase 6 years of corporate hospitality in advance.

Setting aside for the moment that any discussion on here is entirely peanut gallery talk, insisting on nothing but the bottom line number isn't a "holistic approach," it's a refusal to do any kind of analytical approach to the problem, which just strikes me as silly.

Again, I do not dispute that finance is important and that it be included in the discussion.  But particularly in the case of Hearts, while commercial lending will be expensive, we have access to alternative forms of financing (the 500 clubs being just one example) that can help with that.  I could even see us doing a limited 100k club for companies to purchase 6 years of corporate hospitality in advance.

Setting aside for the moment that any discussion on here is entirely peanut gallery talk, insisting on nothing but the bottom line number isn't a "holistic approach," it's a refusal to do any kind of analytical approach to the problem, which just strikes me as silly.

And if we're dropping professional qualifications, I hold a masters in urban geography and am in a Ph.D. program in what is effectively planning analysis at an architecture school.   So while I don't particularly have expertise in renovating football stadia, financial and process analysis are well within what I work on.

Archived