New stand

bigmeg

Aye and no doubt the same people would complain when they were told it would cost a tenner a game to park

Superb revenue stream utilised by all clubs lucky enough to have the space for it.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unbelievable that some would have Hearts leave their spiritual home in the heart of Scotland 's capital.

All because they want to be able to take their car to within yards of the front door.

The present stadium is envied by most fans in Scotland.We are very lucky to have Tynecastle and once a new stand with modern facilities is built the Stadium will be even better.

I find it amusing that some of the new stadium proposers are citing the old stand's lack of facilities as a reason to leave Tynecstle when this stand is the one being replaced.

It's a bit like having a puncture and scrapping the car then going out and buying a new one.

You're not even listening to the argument. This is purely about capacity, sustainability, build cost and future revenue. It's nothing to do with a clean toilet or being able to park, Although both are welcome. Jesus Christ !

Hi Ugly American,

When you have been to see Hearts play at Tynecastle:

What were your opinions on the area the stadium is situated in?

Where did you travel from?

Cheers

Last time I was there was in 2012 for the Dundee game in either late August or early September.  It was just after the Anfield game.

I was coming from Durham at the time, and on the day of we were staying in a B&B over on Newington Rd. and walked up to somewhere (might have been all the way to Princes St.) to catch a Lothian bus over towards Gorgie. I got off the bus just past Haymarket on Dalry and walked (I think) under the rail trestle.   (Think I got off earlier than I should have, but I was nervous about missing the stop.)  Personally I loved the Gorgie area -- it had an intimate feel about it.   I stopped off in some shop (can't remember which -- might have been Gorgie Fish) and got a pie which I enjoyed quite a bit.

My biggest complaint about the area at the time was that I had a seat in the Wheatfield and absolutely no idea how to get to it.  I approached a program vendor just outside the Gorgie stand entrance and asked about how to get to the stand.  She gave me a bit of an exasperated look and then pointed me how to walk back up and around, which I did and eventually found my way in.  I certainly remember the Wheatfield stand entrance being cold and industrial feeling, but once I got up onto the concourses I was thoroughly enjoying the atmosphere.

For me Gorgie was a definite positive in the experience.  A bit more coordination and guidance outside the stadium would have been nice, and I somehow managed to get dog crap on my raincoat on the walk back, but all in all good.  I vastly preferred it to other stadia I've been to that sit in the middle of seas of parking lots.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Last time I was there was in 2012 for the Dundee game in either late August or early September. It was just after the Anfield game.

I was coming from Durham at the time, and on the day of we were staying in a B&B over on Newington Rd. and walked up to somewhere (might have been all the way to Princes St.) to catch a Lothian bus over towards Gorgie. I got off the bus just past Haymarket on Dalry and walked (I think) under the rail trestle. (Think I got off earlier than I should have, but I was nervous about missing the stop.) Personally I loved the Gorgie area -- it had an intimate feel about it. I stopped off in some shop (can't remember which -- might have been Gorgie Fish) and got a pie which I enjoyed quite a bit.

My biggest complaint about the area at the time was that I had a seat in the Wheatfield and absolutely no idea how to get to it. I approached a program vendor just outside the Gorgie stand entrance and asked about how to get to the stand. She gave me a bit of an exasperated look and then pointed me how to walk back up and around, which I did and eventually found my way in. I certainly remember the Wheatfield stand entrance being cold and industrial feeling, but once I got up onto the concourses I was thoroughly enjoying the atmosphere.

For me Gorgie was a definite positive in the experience. A bit more coordination and guidance outside the stadium would have been nice, and I somehow managed to get dog crap on my raincoat on the walk back, but all in all good. I vastly preferred it to other stadia I've been to that sit in the middle of seas of parking lots.

So not some kind of hard to reach shanty town dive then, naw?

:wow:

Fantasy. Pure unadulterated fantasy. Next time you are out and about anywhere in the city, count the 'office to let' signs.

Yeah that's right,you ever been in one of these serviced offices?Chock full of loss adjusters and the like all leasing space to work and meet clients,think the fantasy is you prattling about car boot sales/parking spaces and the like.Most offices with for let signs are Government/Local Council  that are not renewing their leases not the ones that professional folk are leasing,they are not Gov/Council employees but private individuals majority of whom make their own car parking arrangements.however you fill your boots.

Superb revenue stream utilised by all clubs lucky enough to have the space for it.

I doubt a car park will be able to recover the funds spent on a whole new stadium within a sufficient time period.

It certainly wouldn't be worth moving to the middle of nowhere so we can get a 1000 people paying a tenner every 2 weeks?

WorldChampions1902

I'm absolutely delighted that we seem to be looking at staying put as our first option.

1. A capacity of around 22-23k is more than enough to meet our needs for probably 95% of our games.

2. A state of the art main stand with excellent facilities and hospitality will significantly increase revenue streams on match days AND make us first choice for music concerts and Scotland international matches when Edinburgh is considered an option.

3. We need to ensure that the new stand design maintains Tynecastle's unique (intimidating) atmosphere.

4. I'm more than happy to maintain my FoH direct debits years ahead to help pay for the construction costs.

5. I'm not sure that 500 Club fund raisers are a great option IF they result in significantly reduced revenue streams for future seasons.

Thank goodness for Ann Budge!

The will we won't we build a new stand debate will rage on, and to be fair there has been many good and bad points raised, but it's healthy.

No doubt those in charge will be taking note and factoring in all these ideas into their plans, along with their own.

Such a mammoth re-development is one of the biggest things our club leaders have had to deliberate on since the last three stands were built (Excluding admin).

The key people involved in this and ultimately AB herself will make the right decisions,but only after consultation with the supporters and key stakeholders.

Any re-development that increases our capacity and improves our facilities will have to run in tandem with steady improvement and relative success on the park to assist us in growing in to this new space. Unlike the echodome.

scott herbertson

I'm absolutely delighted that we seem to be looking at staying put as our first option.

1. A capacity of around 22-23k is more than enough to meet our needs for probably 95% of our games.

2. A state of the art main stand with excellent facilities and hospitality will significantly increase revenue streams on match days AND make us first choice for music concerts and Scotland international matches when Edinburgh is considered an option.

3. We need to ensure that the new stand design maintains Tynecastle's unique (intimidating) atmosphere.

4. I'm more than happy to maintain my FoH direct debits years ahead to help pay for the construction costs.

5. I'm not sure that 500 Club fund raisers are a great option IF they result in significantly reduced revenue streams for future seasons.

Thank goodness for Ann Budge!

I agree with all of thaty. My only slight doubt is whether 22k can be achieved - if its under 20k I wouldn't be so happy.

Correct me if i'm wrong. Are people saying they want to share and give money to these ****s?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2596513/EXCLUSIVE-Hibs-fans-try-scupper-rescue-deal-struggling-arch-rivals-Hearts.html

No. 

Nobody has said they want to, but that they are willing to put up with it, if it means a new stand built. 

A huge part of the redevelopment is to have better corporate facilities ton increase revenue.

Carting clients out to Sighthill is not desirable and defeat the purpose.

Aye and no doubt the same people would complain when they were told it would cost a tenner a game to park

Ooh....very good point!

Considering the recent history of our club and the danger to its existence, and the fact that the football landscape is unlikely to change massively for us in the next decade or so, the pragmatic move is to rebuild the Main Stand as it's the cheapest option (but still a very satisfactory one)

To embark on a massive building programme based on potential conference facilities and park & ride is folly imo

I agree with all of thaty. My only slight doubt is whether 22k can be achieved - if its under 20k I wouldn't be so happy.

I don't think they'd bother doing it if it was under 20K.

20,000 minimum, I reckon. 23,000 top end (10,000 seater stand).

Look we are 25 pages in and it has been a very good debate. Its obvious the division of opinion with very few not caring what happens. In other words there are 2 camps. Ones for a move and ones for a redevelopment of Tynie. For what its worth I would prefer a move but would be happy to stay IF the finished product is what I hope a move would have provided.

There is nothing that hasnt been said that will convince the other camp otherwise. It is now up to the club to move with one of these options.

Now about that young team?

They have have been thinking of moving for the past fifteen years. Just because they bought the school for extra storage does not mean they won't move.

This is one of these cases where someone knows the facts not the fantasy..

I can't divulge much more but just take it as read that they are not moving.

I've posted before that there have been recent meetings with the distillery and that there may be some help available but not a wholescale relocation (never mind the school building is itself listed.)

The distillery company is part of a major conglomerate who don't purchase a major piece of land without plans for it and there are plans in place.

This is one of these cases where someone knows the facts not the fantasy..

I can't divulge much more but just take it as read that they are not moving.

I've posted before that there have been recent meetings with the distillery and that there may be some help available but not a wholescale relocation (never mind the school building is itself listed.)

The distillery company is part of a major conglomerate who don't purchase a major piece of land without plans for it and there are plans in 

Not sure if all Tynecastle high school is listed. The buildings to the back could possible be knocked down if that's their plan. I just hear little snippets of what the distillery are upto. They were definitely look a storage out of town because of the Chinese market.

I completely doubt the club would spend money on a museum and a memorial garden only to move a year or 2 later

This.

Going nowhere. Tynecastle Park :)

If we wanted to maximise capacity with limited space, would doing something like FC Copenhagen's Parken Stadium below be an idea with the way the upper tier juts out at the back further than the actual footprint of the stadium on the ground? It would perhaps solve the problem if in the future we felt we needed to expand further by say building an increased capacity Wheatfield.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-lhmcUpR5uho/UZjPlMmxC-I/AAAAAAAAAqY/ftfyif9ut0c/s400/P1080841.JPG&imgrefurl=http://mes-vacanes.blogspot.com/2013/05/home-of-fc-kbenhavn.html&h=267&w=400&tbnid=xrjMbdr8kFtBcM:&docid=IvHrgEelGiiV_M&ei=BUtDVu6jK4KGa4uRqPAH&tbm=isch&ved=0CF8QMyg4MDhqFQoTCK66__vEiMkCFQLDGgodiwgKfg

How do you post photos?! Can't seem to do it.

A little off topic I went to Brombys stadium about 8 years ago. A modern 20,000ish seater but with soul. The equivalent of the Georgie end had a lower section for standing upper section seated....created a great atmosphere.

Outside were fan park things with games, bars etc. The whole "match day experience" was great. It was also a total nothing game like us playing Hamilton or Ross County.

My preference is to stay at Tynecastle and I'm 99.9% we will but if we have to move it can be done well and it doesn't have to be a logoland soulless place.

You're not even listening to the argument. This is purely about capacity, sustainability, build cost and future revenue. It's nothing to do with a clean toilet or being able to park, Although both are welcome. Jesus Christ !

All of which can be achieved with a redeveloped Main Stand with a capacity of 22000.

Moving to a new build stadium would be a massive gamble which would take decades to pay for. Gambling heavily on unspecified outside income. What capacity do you see your vision of a stadium having ?

With Tynecastle we know what we can achieve with better facilities. Building a new Stadium without even knowing how we can pay for it is madness imo.

In an earlier post you mention the Emirates and Arsenal, the difference being that Arsenal knew they could fill the Emirates and as the new stadium was in the same neighbourhood minimal disruption. They also got a huge wedge for the sale of Highbury.

You were the one that was banging on about disgusting toilets and having to walk a whole mile from your car. Then you proceeded to insult the punters in the Main Stand by calling them Dinosaurs. When challenged by another poster you then insulted everyone again by saying have a look around you then.

Yours sincerely

Luckysaurus

Love a stadium/stand thread. It's great seeing the difference in opinion, mine is to stay at tynecastle. Never lived in Edinburgh so not totally emotionally attached to the gorgie area out with Hearts, but my grandparents lived in balgreen and i stayed over most weekends, I loved walking through saughton park and along to gorgie on match day, it was great just feeling the build up as u got closer to gorgie, if we leave it will be a sad day but not totally against it if it was for the benefit of our future.

No idea if this is possible or not but could saughton park be used on match days as a fan park? Only 15 mins from tynecastle or 5 on a bus, Just an idea, probably a stupid one. Not really sure if the demand would be there anyway but some people are mentioning fan parks, ideally it would be right on tynecastles doorstep if we could but not sure we have the room?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately we've a high number of dinosaurs in our support who will always have tradition standing in the way of ambition and common sense.

The correct and sensible thing to do is to move to a new stadium. Its a complete and utter no brainer. Ann Budge knows it. Craig Levein knows it. The city of Edinburgh council knows it and the vast majority of the support knows it. However Ann Budge is reluctant to be the person to break it to the rank and file 'without Tynecastle its not Hearts' mob who would greet their eyes out if this club ever took a step away from the shitehole environment and the piss poor facility that is Tynecastle Park.

Until that mindset changes we are stuck at Tynecastle with a severely limited stadium perpetually holding us back and in fact'unfit for purpose'

Do you understand that we're looking into ways of developing Tynecastle do that it is indeed "fit for purpose"?

This thread has been full of bizarre rants but yours may top the lot.

Unbelievable that some would have Hearts leave their spiritual home in the heart of Scotland 's capital.

All because they want to be able to take their car to within yards of the front door.

The present stadium is envied by most fans in Scotland.We are very lucky to have Tynecastle and once a new stand with modern facilities is built the Stadium will be even better.

I find it amusing that some of the new stadium proposers are citing the old stand's lack of facilities as a reason to leave Tynecstle when this stand is the one being replaced.

It's a bit like having a puncture and scrapping the car then going out and buying a new one.

100% agree. I could understand people saying "If we can't redevelop Tynie then we should move" because I'd be in the same camp. But most of the vehement pro-movers are bringing up things which could be accommodated at Tynecastle, or saying basic things like we need a stadium that generates money when I'm pretty sure successful businesswoman Ann Budge is looking at exactly that for the new main stand.

Some really bizarre views on this thread.

scott herbertson

100% agree. I could understand people saying "If we can't redevelop Tynie then we should move" because I'd be in the same camp. But most of the vehement pro-movers are bringing up things which could be accommodated at Tynecastle, or saying basic things like we need a stadium that generates money when I'm pretty sure successful businesswoman Ann Budge is looking at exactly that for the new main stand.

As someone who usually goes to matches straight off the London train I am always pleasantly aware of how quick you can get to the pub Tynecastle from the station, 30 minutes tops.

As someone who usually goes to matches straight off the London train I am always pleasantly aware of how quick you can get to the pub Tynecastle from the station, 30 minutes tops.

I only come from ayrshire but 15 minutes from  Haymarket.

Preference like all others is to stay at Tynie if a all possible.

My concern is the pitch though.  I would like to see us playing in European football, perhaps host friendly internationals etc.

Unfortunately our pitch is too short.  If we redevelop we have to lengthen the pitch.  That means demolishing the roseburn and building an L shaped stand. (the 90% thing is daft)

If we dont we risk losing the dispensation from uefa for our pitch.  We only get that as our stadium predates the regs.  If we build a new stand and decide not to make the ground compliant (not just pitch size but corporate facilities media facilities etc etc.) then we lose our special dispensation and have to play at murrayfield anyway.

I hope we can fix up the old lady, but if not, then the best site is edinburgh park behind the premier inn.  Talk of sighthill and carricknowe is fanciful.  nimbyism will kill those locations. 

Fxxx the SPFL

Preference like all others is to stay at Tynie if a all possible.

My concern is the pitch though.  I would like to see us playing in European football, perhaps host friendly internationals etc.

Unfortunately our pitch is too short.  If we redevelop we have to lengthen the pitch.  That means demolishing the roseburn and building an L shaped stand. (the 90% thing is daft)

If we dont we risk losing the dispensation from uefa for our pitch.  We only get that as our stadium predates the regs.  If we build a new stand and decide not to make the ground compliant (not just pitch size but corporate facilities media facilities etc etc.) then we lose our special dispensation and have to play at murrayfield anyway.

I hope we can fix up the old lady, but if not, then the best site is edinburgh park behind the premier inn.  Talk of sighthill and carricknowe is fanciful.  nimbyism will kill those locations.

I think the cost of building a new stadium will be prohibitive.

I did not mind moving from tynecastle. But if they have found a way to stay that's is financial sound. Then all the better.

I used to love getting the London train to Hearts games Scott.  Did it for about 5 years before I was deported to NZ.  In my day it was the Friday night train.  Got into Edinburgh about 6.00am which gave me lashings of time to get to away games.  Used to get the night train back on a Saturday.

Great days.

scott herbertson

I used to love getting the London train to Hearts games Scott.  Did it for about 5 years before I was deported to NZ.  In my day it was the Friday night train.  Got into Edinburgh about 6.00am which gave me lashings of time to get to away games.  Used to get the night train back on a Saturday.

Great days.

I've just retired so enjoying it more frequently Doug (used to be too much time away from the family but I can justify it now as I am around the rest of the week). I always come up the old main exit from the station so I can be met with the castle hanging above my head then its off to the other Castle(Tyne) and the smell of Gorgie

Fxxx the SPFL

I've just retired so enjoying it more frequently Doug (used to be too much time away from the family but I can justify it now as I am around the rest of the week). I always come up the old main exit from the station so I can be met with the castle hanging above my head then its off to the other Castle(Tyne) and the smell of Gorgie

must be a tad expensive travelling up from the big smoke first class but a man of your means can afford a wee luxury now and again.

PS I'm sure I met your brother in the Starbank around xmas time.

Bazzas right boot

It's good that we are stayin and in all honesty it us probably due to cost.

However for business reasons I would have liked a new stadia, so much more than just yhe stadium.

Transport, parking, catering, hotel, leisure facilities could have been Taylored for us.

Could be a opportunity missed.

scott herbertson

must be a tad expensive travelling up from the big smoke first class but a man of your means can afford a wee luxury now and again.

PS I'm sure I met your brother in the Starbank around xmas time.

No longer come up first class (pensioner budget these days).

Not sure which brother that would have been - if he bought you a drink it must have been my older one  :toff:

As someone who usually goes to matches straight off the London train I am always pleasantly aware of how quick you can get to the pub Tynecastle from the station, 30 minutes tops.

Exactly. And as i said earlier in the thread its a jog now to make the last london train home from haymarket. Any further away and us anglos can't do it in one day.

They should base the decision based on the 10 or so who do this journey, seems fair...

Comments like this really rip my knitting on here. How is it bizarre to want to discuss and give an opinion on staying where we are or moving to a new site ?. How is it bizarre to see a clear case for moving and to support moving ?

It isn't in the least bizarre. I understand and appreciate that the vast majority would prefer to stay at Tynecastle. As a supporter of moving I would actually prefer to see us stay where we are now but there are all sorts of perfectly valid (not bizarre) reasons why we shouldn't stay or maybe wont be able to stay.

Maybe the word 'bizarre' is used just to dampen debate on the opposite view ? EG if you want to move you are bizarre. That's a form of bullying if you ask me. There's way to much petty sniping on this forum. Debate is stifled and if you don't have a mainstream view on something you get singled out for the petty abuse.

I don't think there's any need for it on such a serious subject.

Comments like this really rip my knitting on here. How is it bizarre to want to discuss and give an opinion on staying where we are or moving to a new site ?. How is it bizarre to see a clear case for moving and to support moving ?

It isn't in the least bizarre. I understand and appreciate that the vast majority would prefer to stay at Tynecastle. As a supporter of moving I would actually prefer to see us stay where we are now but there are all sorts of perfectly valid (not bizarre) reasons why we shouldn't stay or maybe wont be able to stay.

Maybe the word 'bizarre' is used just to dampen debate on the opposite view ? EG if you want to move you are bizarre. That's a form of bullying if you ask me. There's way to much petty sniping on this forum. Debate is stifled and if you don't have a mainstream view on something you get singled out for the petty abuse.

It was perhaps confrontational (with a small 'c') when you referred to a lot of fans as dinosaurs...

But the rest of your post is spot on.

It was perhaps confrontational (with a small 'c') when you referred to a lot of fans as dinosaurs...

But the rest of your post is spot on.

A very good point which I accept, although it wasn't aimed at anyone in particular and certainly no one on the thread. A descriptive term I used for a group of fans who want to stay at Tynecastle no matter what and wont listen to any other argument.

Bazzas right boot

It's good that we are stayinget nd in all honesty it is probably due to cost.

However for business reasons I would have liked a new stadia, so much more than just the stadium.

Transport, parking, catering, hotel, leisure facilities could have been Taylored for us.

Parking is a big issue, encourages family's and can even raise revenue if kept in house.

Could be a opportunity missed.

Fxxx the SPFL

No longer come up first class (pensioner budget these days).

Not sure which brother that would have been - if he bought you a drink it must have been my older one  :toff:

you pensioners are minted these days, not sure how old he was but he was meeting some work lads for a xmas drink and no he didn't offer to buy a drink but there was four of us (all jambos by the way). He was quite slim.

Fxxx the SPFL

Colly I am in favour of staying as I think we can still generate sizeable income from a new developed main stand however I am open to discussion and debate on moving but in my previous threads all I have asked for is any ideas/thoughts on how we would fund a new stadium and not one person has responded. What would be your thoughts on this.

It isn't in the least bizarre. I understand and appreciate that the vast majority would prefer to stay at Tynecastle. As a supporter of moving I would actually prefer to see us stay where we are now but there are all sorts of perfectly valid (not bizarre) reasons why we shouldn't stay or maybe wont be able to stay.

Taking umbrage at the word 'bizarre' but thinks nowt of calling others with opposing views 'dinosaurs'. Seems legit.

A very good point which I accept, although it wasn't aimed at anyone in particular and certainly no one on the thread. A descriptive term I used for a group of fans who want to stay at Tynecastle no matter what and wont listen to any other argument.

The pros and cons of staying/moving can be discussed without people falling out ffs!! Not being funny mate but all was fine until you started your 'dinosaur' chat (or was it bullying?) ;-)

It's all good tho. Debate is healthy. I just can't see me having the same thoughts towards Hearts if they weren't in Gorgie, that's all I'm saying. And thankfully it seems the club agree.

We are putting a 6 grand chair lift in for disabled access to the museum, perhaps that says we are staying for the foreseeable future.

It isn't in the least bizarre. I understand and appreciate that the vast majority would prefer to stay at Tynecastle. As a supporter of moving I would actually prefer to see us stay where we are now but there are all sorts of perfectly valid (not bizarre) reasons why we shouldn't stay or maybe wont be able to stay.

Maybe I should have ended that sentence with IMHO, but I kinda assumed everyone accepts that individual posts are individual people's opinions.

Thinking that some views are bizarre is my opinion, I haven't at any point said those people should stop airing their views or in any way tried to dampen debate. I'm simply adding my opinion.

I find some of the views bizarre because there has been little to nothing suggested on the pro-move side that couldn't be accommodated (or at least looked into) at a redeveloped Tynecastle. Apart from on sure car parking perhaps.

Hearts haven't even announced what our plans or considerations are but on here we have fans saying Tynecastle can't provide x, y and z while Straiton or Sighthill can. We don't know what Mrs Budge and her team are discussing or considering. As I said in my post, if it was discovered that we couldn't generate much additional income by staying and could generate considerably more moving I'd happily be with the club on that decision.

So for those reasons I personally find some of the stronger pro-move views come across as anti-Tynecastle more than anything else. So yeah, in my opinion, a bit bizarre.

Apologies if you felt bullied, it certainly wasn't my intention.

For fans of Car Parks - however unlikely it may seem - it is possible that there could be an underground car park put in place when building the new stand.

Costs aside - I'd be surprised if it wasn't possible. Whether the financial payback works is another matter.

If it was possible - it could generate some income especially if used all year round.

Maybe I should have ended that sentence with IMHO, but I kinda assumed everyone accepts that individual posts are individual people's opinions.

Thinking that some views are bizarre is my opinion, I haven't at any point said those people should stop airing their views or in any way tried to dampen debate. I'm simply adding my opinion.

I find some of the views bizarre because there has been little to nothing suggested on the pro-move side that couldn't be accommodated (or at least looked into) at a redeveloped Tynecastle. Apart from on sure car parking perhaps.

Hearts haven't even announced what our plans or considerations are but on here we have fans saying Tynecastle can't provide x, y and z while Straiton or Sighthill can. We don't know what Mrs Budge and her team are discussing or considering. As I said in my post, if it was discovered that we couldn't generate much additional income by staying and could generate considerably more moving I'd happily be with the club on that decision.

So for those reasons I personally find some of the stronger pro-move views come across as anti-Tynecastle more than anything else. So yeah, in my opinion, a bit bizarre.

Apologies if you felt bullied, it certainly wasn't my intention.

No problem. I didn't but thanks anyway.

I just think there are some things we can debate on without it getting personal. And I was just as guilty using the word dinosaur. At the end of the day I am pretty sure 99% would prefer to stay at Tynecastle in a redeveloped stadium with a compliant pitch, a capacity circa 22k and better all round facilities. I couldn't really give a stuff about a car park if I'm honest but its just one little benefit amongst lots of benefits there MIGHT be if we moved.

The biggest issue is What is the cost of redeveloping  Tynecastle to make it pitch compliant with circa 22k capacity and better all round facilities compared with a new build stadium elsewhere, not forgetting that making it pitch compliant quite probably involves much more than just building one new stand.

There are numerous other issues connected to where the money might come from and who would be willing to help us with either the stay option or the move option. I don't think we can afford either project from currently known or projected funds

I have really enjoyed following the debate among the Hearts family about whether to rebuild or move to a new site. While I think that it is accepted that nearly everyone (myself included) would prefer to remain at Tynecastle, as far as I can see we are really hemmed in on all sides, we have a pitch which is not UEFA compliant and we have a main stand that needs replaced, which means that the club will have to expend a considerable amount money either way. The decisions that the board make now as regards the stadium will be probably the most important decision they will have to make. I remember years ago reading Mackie's The Hearts and I'm sure that he says that when the decision to move to Gorgie from Powderhall was taken in the 1880's there were howls of protests from the supporters as Gorgie was considered to be too far outside the city (I'm sure the city limit at that time was Haymarket). So if the decision is made that it would be best for the club to move to a site say around the city by-pass then the arguments against such a move would be eerily reminiscent of those in the 1880's. Personally despite the fact that I was born in Wardlaw Street and love the old stadium my head still tells me that it would be best for the long term future of the club if we could move to a site which would allow the Hearts to expand in the future. I would hate to spend ?10 or ?15 million on a rebuild in Gorgie if in 15 years we found that the club really needed a bigger stadium. So for me I would probably prefer to move to a new site as long as the stadium was a proper football stadium and not just 4 square stands stuck in the middle of nowhere.

The affordability one is an odd one -- many folks on here suggest we can't afford to stay at Tynecastle but could move.

I don't really get this -- any new site would require the cost of land acquisition and the construction cost of all of the seats that could be usable.  At Tynecastle we need to buy more land, but not as much as we would for a whole new stadium, and from what I've seen the land in Gorgie isn't somehow far more expensive than at Saughton or Sighthill.  It will also require some cash to deal with the COMAH issues with the distillery, but that still looks like less overall.

Beyond that, at Tynecastle we have three stands with at least a few decades of functional life in them, which means we can focus on building a new main stand and updating all of the amenities that a true main stand needs.

All told, it looks like ?15-20m would get us a fantastic new stand at Tynecastle with lots of amenities and all of the COMAH issues solved, whereas getting a similarly sized and appointed new stadium elsewhere would cost ?40m.  That doesn't make ?15-20m cheap or easily available,  but it also doesn't explain why moving would somehow be more affordable.

Archived