Season Tickets 2015/16 - ST sales have now ended

Radio Ga Ga

Are safe standing areas a game changer as per any rebuild? Would this be a positive or negative as regards costs? It's not a bit unreasonable to expect a vibrant section to be an added in the near future!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kingantti1874

yep - and looking like we'll get to around 13,500 season ticket holders which is remarkable

That's 150 more than Aberdeen's average attendance last year (ie including walk ups and opposition supporters

There was a time when Aberdeen had higher average attendances than us so fantastic for us to be so far ahead before season even starts.

Does anyone know what our record number of seasons was?

A time long long ago Aberdeen have never consistently had higher attendances than us other than when they won absolutely everything including a European trophy - even then their attendances weren't impressive for the product on the pitch.. I think they've averaged more in about 4/5 seasons since 1990..

so at the moment your looking at 718+ approx 600 in section K for walk ups = 1318

heh wait a minute -- there's still three or four weeks of ST sales to go, at the current rate of about 20 a day

can still make 14,000 imho

I like the chat about stadium redevelopment and I'm not 100% sure what the best option is.

However, I do think we should be wary of what Hibs have done. They've built a nice stadium however in all the years it's been built, they haven't filled it once.

Their fans don't buy season tickets because of the product on the park but also because they know they can get tickets for any game.

FarmerTweedy

I like the chat about stadium redevelopment and I'm not 100% sure what the best option is.

However, I do think we should be wary of what Hibs have done. They've built a nice stadium however in all the years it's been built, they haven't filled it once.

Their fans don't buy season tickets because of the product on the park but also because they know they can get tickets for any game.

You have to remember that h1b5 built their new East stand and upped the capacity substantially at a time when they were already struggling to fill the capacity they had, and in a shambles both on and off the park.  It may be that at some point in the future, they'll sort themselves out, get a good team on the park, achieve some relative level of success, and get the crowds flooding back, at which point they might be glad of the capacity.  I can't see that happening soon though, if indeed at all.

Hearts are a different kettle of fish entirely, we're a bigger club for starters so direct comparisons between our capacity requirements and theirs are rather misleading. Also, we're on the up, and already constrained by our current capacity. We look to be in pretty good shape both on and off the park, and have every reason to be confident that the club can develop and strengthen significantly more in the years to come.  Of course, we don't want to go overboard and have a hugely inappropriate capacity (it's virtually inconceivable that we could ever need a 50k capacity stadium, except maybe for the odd game against Barca!), but there is plenty of scope for the club to grow, especially given that Edinburgh itself is a growing city, and if the club, and the fans, want to settle for just staying at the level we're currently at, it does rather beg the question of why bother with any of it in the first place.

FarmerTweedy

I do hope a main stand rebuild gets us to 22-23k, but it sounds like a lot of the money and effort in a main stand rebuild would be new club offices, changing rooms, training room, corporate, catering, and hospitality.  So we could see a substantial increase in the club's attractiveness to players and in club revenue without actually dramatically increasing the seating capacity.

The other stands will be reaching their end of life in the next 15-25 years as it is, so if we still need more capacity they can be rebuilt as two-tiered stands.  I do think Hearts can grow to regularly filling a 30-35k stadium, but better to do that gradually in case that's horribly wrong.

I agree with all of this except, where you talk about replacing the existing 'modern' stands in the future, it has to be remembered that the stands are built in extremely confined spaces. There's no way the Gorgie Road end could be replaced with anything bigger without moving the pitch north to make more space. There's no way the pitch can be moved north without moving the school end stand north to make room for the pitch. There's no way the school end could be replaced with a bigger stand, or moved north, or both, without getting hold of a slice of the land the old school sits on, which is now owned by NBD.  Finally, there's no way the Wheatfield could be replaced with anything bigger without some of the land that the pitch behind it is on, which I believe is also owned by NBD, and probably some of the land that has warehouse buildings on it too.

Any plans for a new main stand at Tynecastle would have to factor in at least the possibility that these other developments will, or may, happen further down the line.

Watt-Zeefuik

I agree with all of this except, where you talk about replacing the existing 'modern' stands in the future, it has to be remembered that the stands are built in extremely confined spaces. There's no way the Gorgie Road end could be replaced with anything bigger without moving the pitch north to make more space. There's no way the pitch can be moved north without moving the school end stand north to make room for the pitch. There's no way the school end could be replaced with a bigger stand, or moved north, or both, without getting hold of a slice of the land the old school sits on, which is now owned by NBD.  Finally, there's no way the Wheatfield could be replaced with anything bigger without some of the land that the pitch behind it is on, which I believe is also owned by NBD, and probably some of the land that has warehouse buildings on it too.

Any plans for a new main stand at Tynecastle would have to factor in at least the possibility that these other developments will, or may, happen further down the line.

My understanding, limited as it is, is that NBD is in a better situation to provide a bit more breathing room behind the current Roseburn since their purchase of the old high school, and also that the Wheatfield has considerably more room behind it now than when it was built.  No matter what we do if we're expanding Tynecastle going to be working closely with NBD, and my understanding from the more ITK posters on here is that while they're protecting their own interests they've been reasonable and friendly with the club.

scott herbertson

A time long long ago Aberdeen have never consistently had higher attendances than us other than when they won absolutely everything including a European trophy - even then their attendances weren't impressive for the product on the pitch.. I think they've averaged more in about 4/5 seasons since 1990..

Don't think that's true mate - I was thinking pre-romanov and although I don't have stats all that way back (I know a man who does!) even in the period where I can find stats - from 1993/94 to 2004/5 Aberdeen had higher attendances for 6 of the 11 years - IIRC they would have been higher than us for more than half the years of the 70's and 80s as well

I read on another thread that overseas fans are concerned at missing out On tickets this season and are thinking about buying a ST even though it may be empty a lot of the season. It was in relation to whether there may be some sort of FoH contributor preference when it comes to buying individual match tickets.

Is this a scenario where a 6 game package ST might be useful? Sell them if there's still availability after full ST sales? I thought that's what Aberdeen had planned but hadn't realised they had that option up front, which I don't think is as good an option.

I'm sure if those mentioned above are quick enough off the mark when match tickets go on sale they'll be ok but was just having a think about the options out there and if they could be better

kingantti1874

Don't think that's true mate - I was thinking pre-romanov and although I don't have stats all that way back (I know a man who does!) even in the period where I can find stats - from 1993/94 to 2004/5 Aberdeen had higher attendances for 6 of the 11 years - IIRC they would have been higher than us for more than half the years of the 70's and 80s as well

Your probably right, it was a bit closer than I thought.. The sheep held a tiny edge in the early naughties but more importantly they have met managed that for over a decade now and sometime the gap has been very significant.

http://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/sco-premier-league-2005-2006/1/

This thread quotes London hearts and gives our attendances back to the 40's.. Unfortunately I don't have a comparison for Aberdeen

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/133357-hearts-average-attendance-history/

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, and there are certainly a few posters on this thread getting carried away, but the notion that Hearts need a stadium with a capacity higher than 20k is quite frankly nonsense.

We haven't had an average attendance above 20k since 1960, that's 55 years ago. Admittedly for long periods of that 55 years, we haven't had a lot to get excited about and for many years the capacity has only been 17k, but even in the good seasons we are only hitting 15/16k.

Right now we are all excited, things are happening on and off the pitch and it's great to be a Jambo, but i've been through the good and the bad times and i've seen how crowds can fall away when results aren't going your way(and at some point that will happen to us) building a huge stadium that then remains unfilled is a waste of money to build and drain on income to maintain.

For me, i'd like to stay at tynie, rebuild the main stand, increase capacity slightly to 18/19k(if possible).

But all this has to be paid for, that's going to be the difficult bit, financing.

scott herbertson

Your probably right, it was a bit closer than I thought.. The sheep held a tiny edge in the early naughties but more importantly they have met managed that for over a decade now and sometime the gap has been very significant.

This thread quotes London hearts and gives our attendances back to the 40's.. Unfortunately I don't have a comparison for Aberdeen

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/133357-hearts-average-attendance-history/

This gives the aberdeen crowds back to 1993 - before that other than 86-88 they were higher more often than not back to the early seventies I think

My original point was a bit lost in this , which is that it is remarkable that we have sold more season tickets than the likely average crowd, including away fans of any team other than Celtic and Sevco next year - we are therefore going to be by a bigger gap than for a very long time (excluding the big seasons like 2005-2008, 1998, 1986) the third best supported club in scotland

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, and there are certainly a few posters on this thread getting carried away, but the notion that Hearts need a stadium with a capacity higher than 20k is quite frankly nonsense.

We haven't had an average attendance above 20k since 1960, that's 55 years ago. Admittedly for long periods of that 55 years, we haven't had a lot to get excited about and for many years the capacity has only been 17k, but even in the good seasons we are only hitting 15/16k.

Right now we are all excited, things are happening on and off the pitch and it's great to be a Jambo, but i've been through the good and the bad times and i've seen how crowds can fall away when results aren't going your way(and at some point that will happen to us) building a huge stadium that then remains unfilled is a waste of money to build and drain on income to maintain.

For me, i'd like to stay at tynie, rebuild the main stand, increase capacity slightly to 18/19k(if possible).

But all this has to be paid for, that's going to be the difficult bit, financing.

It's not raining on anyone's parade, it's just your opinion. If you were stating the official club line, then you would be raining on at least my parade. Spending north of 10 million and burdening ourselves with a huge debt for the sake of one/two thousand seats would be a total disaster of a move by the club, imo.

This is where I am. I'm a great believer that empty seats creates more empty seats, Hibs being the prime example of this. Hearts are doing well currently and there is a lot of positivity around the club. This has led to a high demand for tickets, however football fans are fickle and history points towards the positivity not lasting. Talk of capacities up to 35,000 are utter fantasy.

kingantti1874

Jeez not this again- we either have ambition to grow as a club or we do not, we need to try and grow out fan base not limit it. 20k IS enough for now, but we should be implementing policies to grow our support so that it isn't enough in 10 years.. Success, exposure to as many fans as possible and the correct policies is the only way we will achieve long term growth.. Of course it has to be within reason.

Edinburgh is a growing city, we have a growing fanbase, we have the correct people in charge..

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I'm on the side of 25,000 but would be happy with about 21,000 for now

Where I'm at too.

Jeez not this again- we either have ambition to grow as a club or we do not, we need to try and grow out fan base not limit it. 20k IS enough for now, but we should be implementing policies to grow our support so that it isn't enough in 10 years.. Success, exposure to as many fans as possible and the correct policies is the only way we will achieve long term growth.. Of course it has to be within reason.

Edinburgh is a growing city, we have a growing fanbase, we have the correct people in charge.Spot 

Spot on. Any new stand must be built so that it can be expanded in the future which can be done according to a certain 

arci-choke (that's what i call them) that i know. A new stand with the school end being refurbished to include hospitality.

the future looks good for Hearts and the the club with the fans must incourage more people young to old to come along 

to games and support our 'the peoples team' Hearts. Edinburgh is growing let's make sure Hearts match that growth.

20,000 is the optimum for me. 14,000 ST holders hopefully, then 2,000 minimum for walk-ups, 1,000 corporate and comp tickets, leaves 3,000 for away support.

Remember that we can always do what we are doing now and reduce away allocations if the demand were to reach such levels (which I don't think they will). If you remove 1,500 seats for the away support, a 20k stadium still leaves 18,500 for Hearts supporters. More than enough!

FarmerTweedy

It isn't.

FarmerTweedy

20,000 is the optimum for me. 14,000 ST holders hopefully, then 2,000 minimum for walk-ups, 1,000 corporate and comp tickets, leaves 3,000 for away support.

Remember that we can always do what we are doing now and reduce away allocations if the demand were to reach such levels (which I don't think they will). If you remove 1,500 seats for the away support, a 20k stadium still leaves 18,500 for Hearts supporters. More than enough!

We will probably have demand for at least 16k for home fans each game this season, quite possibly more like 17-18k. With Edinburgh's population predicted to grow by about 25% over the next 20 years or so, and no reason not to believe that Hearts could maintain the percentage of the city's population that goes to our games, a 20k capacity could be very restrictive fairly quickly. It's also perfectly conceivable that we could grow the percentage of the population that attends our games.

People who use historic attendances as a limit to our possible future attendances should bear in mind that for a lot of the last few decades, the club has been run in a quite shambolic manner, with appalling marketing and the club often appearing hellbent on actually driving fans away. Things could be very different in the future.

Hackney Hearts

But in that period we've had dozens of 20k + attendances, quite a few over 30k and some over 40k (I think 47k is the highest). Those 15/16k 'good seasons' you refer to - those figures  (in the pre-all seater days) would have been nowhere near that high without the matches where we could pull in 20k - 30k. There used to be a huge gulf between the highs and lows - fortunately we have a much larger core attendance than in the 70s for instance - but the principle remains the same, we can't significantly increase our average without the scope for some bigger occasions; around 23k capacity would be about right.

Dave McCreery's knee

It's not raining on anyone's parade, it's just your opinion. If you were stating the official club line, then you would be raining on at least my parade. Spending north of 10 million and burdening ourselves with a huge debt for the sake of one/two thousand seats would be a total disaster of a move by the club, imo.

The main stand will presumably have to be replaced or substatially refurbished though at some point in the near future due to its age and condition.

20k is ideal. If the club continues to flourish in the years after replacing main stand, then maybe there will be further phases of redevelopment that can be planned for now.

Our average attendance figures are constrained due to the capacity of our stadium compared to Aberdeen's. This is one reason we need a larger capacity. At least 6 times a year we could get many more fans in and increase the average by thousands.

As i said before we need to get the balance between extra seats and atmosphere, as well as future proofing for the next 20yrs when the population of the city grows. I also think the gap between Hibs and Hearts is getting wider.

Ideal scenario for me is that we manage to bring in big transfer fees for the likes of Walker, King and Patterson and possibly even one or two of the foreign signings like Ozturk or Sow and use the cash to build a new main stand that would take the capacity up to the 21-23k mark.

It would be great to tell the grandkids in 20 years time that it was paid for by the class of 2013 who saw is through admin, a title win and who knows what else in the next year or two.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

The main stand will presumably have to be replaced or substatially refurbished though at some point in the near future due to its age and condition.

20k is ideal. If the club continues to flourish in the years after replacing main stand, then maybe there will be further phases of redevelopment that can be planned for now.

I'm just of the opinion that if we have to spend vast sums of money, it has to be an investment and longish term solution, because the way we are for cash in this country's set up, we'd still be in debt for it once it's no longer of as much use.

I think a mistake was made with the original design of the three "new" stands. The walkway after row eight is not really nessesary. It takes up valuable space which could've been used for at least three extra rows. Over three stands that equates to something like 1,500 seats for three and 2,000 seats if four rows could've been squeesed in.

One good aspect of the walkway, however, is that it gives disabled jambos easy access and the opportunity to get a good view sitting among the rest of the fans. So perhaps it isn't a mistake for that reason alone.

Hot since 86

On the issue of stadium capacity do people think that the FOH model of fans donating money to the club as an added income stream will allow us to greatly reduce ticket prices to allow us to sell out a much larger ground in the future?

We could even look at having free kids tickets for local schools which would lead (potentially) to more adult supporters paying through the gates and by direct debit in the future?

I see no reason why a 25k+ attendance would be beyond us and therefore redevelopment for anything less than that would be foolish.

Just my take on it.

On the issue of stadium capacity do people think that the FOH model of fans donating money to the club as an added income stream will allow us to greatly reduce ticket prices to allow us to sell out a much larger ground in the future?

Why should my FOH subscription go to subsidizing someone else's trip to the football?

I mean, it won't happen for many reasons - you can make the same level of income and have less outgoing by having normal prices and the pre-subsidy level of crowds, lower prices won't encourage people to go watch a shite product so it could only help in good times - but were it to happen why should i pay for someone else to go to the football?

Hot since 86

Why should my FOH subscription go to subsidizing someone else's trip to the football?

I mean, it won't happen for many reasons - you can make the same level of income and have less outgoing by having normal prices and the pre-subsidy level of crowds, lower prices won't encourage people to go watch a shite product so it could only help in good times - but were it to happen why should i pay for someone else to go to the football?

If it was for children (future fans) to get free/discounted tickets I would have thought your opinion would have been one shared with a minority of members but that doesn't make it any less valid I suppose, I was really just looking to see what others thought of it. If we have a good amount of money coming in member subs what better way to spend it than discounting tickets for fans and growing the fan base? If tickets were cheaper more people might be able to afford to donate or increase their pledge.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

I see there has been a solution posted about two weeks ago yet it's been conveniently ignored. We can make a large two-tiered main stand and keep the top tier closed for standard matches. Like someone said, lets not get 10 million in debt for the sake of 2000 seats.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I think we should factor in the population of the city which is expected to go through the half million mark in the next decade.The people who come to settle here may not be drawn to Tynecastle but their offspring may well be if the product is good enough. I would hope we could be in a position to go for as close to 30k as possible within 10 years.

If it was for children (future fans) to get free/discounted tickets I would have thought your opinion would have been one shared with a minority of members but that doesn't make it any less valid I suppose, I was really just looking to see what others thought of it. If we have a good amount of money coming in member subs what better way to spend it than discounting tickets for fans and growing the fan base? If tickets were cheaper more people might be able to afford to donate or increase their pledge.

Won't somebody think of the children.

Selling twice as many as our local rivals (who reported 6600 sold as of today) is quite a feat.

Success will ultimately determine the needs of the club in terms of seats in the stadium and we have a chance over the next couple of years to be successful at a Scottish level.

Under the new regime major steps have been taken and the purchase of the club and the building of a new stand are the 2 major decisions left to complete with 1 of those of course already agreed.

The last decision could very well determine the progress over next decade or so and I'm sure plans are being formulated and options readied for the fans and owners to discuss.

N1 - gone

N2 - 4

N3 - 87

P - 16

Q - 10

R - 8

S - 15

T1 - 32

T2 - 6

T3 - 87

Total 265

V- 19

W- 4

X - 14

Y - 20

Z- 22

Total 79

A - 68

B - 35

C - 6

D - 1

E - 27

F - 28

G - 99

Total - 264

H - 80

J - 8

Total - 88

Grand Total - 696

Under 700!

johnking123

Maybe we would be better to do both main stand and wheatfield stand at the same time. Removing two or three rows from the Gorgie and Roseburn stands to lengthen pitch and fill in the corners. Would take us to around the 25000 mark. Would most likely cost ?25 million or a bit more. But would keep us going for many years.

And he's not praying

Maybe we would be better to do both main stand and wheatfield stand at the same time. Removing two or three rows from the Gorgie and Roseburn stands to lengthen pitch and fill in the corners. Would take us to around the 25000 mark. Would most likely cost ?25 million or a bit more. But would keep us going for many years.

I'd suggest spending ?25m we do not have on stadium redevelopment would do the exact opposite of keeping us going for many years.  :glare:

The Internet

Ideal scenario for me is that we manage to bring in big transfer fees for the likes of Walker, King and Patterson and possibly even one or two of the foreign signings like Ozturk or Sow and use the cash to build a new main stand that would take the capacity up to the 21-23k mark.

It would be great to tell the grandkids in 20 years time that it was paid for by the class of 2013 who saw is through admin, a title win and who knows what else in the next year or two.

I'd like us to up the capacity in some way (don't think it'll be happening any time soon mind), but I'm not sure if it's wise to finance it by selling all of our best players.

johnking123

I'd suggest spending ?25m we do not have on stadium redevelopment would do the exact opposite of keeping us going for many years.  :glare:

We would pay it off with FOH donations and players sales. Our revenue would increase and hopefully bring in better quality players. It would be a worthwhile investment.

And he's not praying

We would pay it off with FOH donations and players sales. Our revenue would increase and hopefully bring in better quality players. It would be a worthwhile investment.

Trying not to be rude....

One question only, where does the ?25m come from initially?

johnking123

That would be the tricky part. Not sure if ann has that much money. We would have the same problem building new stadium. 

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Any method we use will cost millions. The club seem to think it's doable though, so I can't wait to find out what the plan is. Perhaps some outside funding like the proposed investment from her former business associates which led to the Save the Children deal? Who knows, but at the very least she appears to be creative and resourceful when it comes to that department. She spoke of "overcoming challenges", encouraging choice of words.

kingantti1874

We won't be borrowing any significant sums ever again, we will have to do it the old fashioned way, the correct way and save for it.

johnking123

We won't be borrowing any significant sums ever again, we will have to do it the old fashioned way, the correct way and save for it.

We don't have time to save that amount of money up i'm afraid. We will borrow and will pay it back this time!

FarmerTweedy

That would be the tricky part. Not sure if ann has that much money. We would have the same problem building new stadium.

I've no idea how much money Ann actually has, but I'm confident that her and the board would be able to raise the required funding. Clearly, that funding would come at a cost, but I've no doubt it could be raised.

FarmerTweedy

We borrowed ?2.4m from Ann Budge to pay off the CVA (FoH will gradually buy that debt from her from next summer onwards). We will borrow money, and lots of it, to fund stadium redevelopment/replacement.

Archived