The 2015 General Election Megathread

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

The Mighty Thor

Beginning to think that some people truly believe that Russia are spoiling for a fight! [emoji23]

We've got our finger on the nuclear trigger mate*

*If we ever get the codes from the yanks. [emoji6]

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aussieh

• JamboX2

• TheMaganator

• Boris

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

Beginning to think that some people truly believe that Russia are spoiling for a fight! :laugh:

Surely they're not interested in invading Blighty? Spain is so much better. They better watch out for those bitter Nats in Catalunya and Gibraltar, though. 

Apparently Osborne's nose is falling apart almost as much as his shambolic failed budget:

10993395_10206363562954768_3540062540570

I'm sure it's just shadows and he's not on his way to doing a Parfitt or a Westbrook. I mean you never see him out of his tree...

MiftnyD.gif

oh dear, jack and malky.

other matters

now theyre trying to block the vote for 16 & 17 year olds.

No they aren't. The Committee has concerns over how the devolution of the power is being administered and that it hasn't been as quick or simple as was promised. Both governments reject the findings.

Apparently Osborne's nose is falling apart almost as much as his shambolic failed budget:

10993395_10206363562954768_3540062540570

I'm sure it's just shadows and he's not on his way to doing a Parfitt or a Westbrook. I mean you never see him out of his tree...

MiftnyD.gif

Jeezo, is there a more gormless tw*t than Gideon 'the towel folder' in British politics?  Known as 'the muppet' at his posh public school and the Oik by his pals in Bullingdon Club.

That's a bit mental.

Crazy.  Proof if indeed any was needed of how far the Labour party have fallen.

I see his twitter account no longer exists!

Have any of the UK haters ever left the UK or even Scotland? Have they got the faintest clue that the UK is about as good as humanity has ever come up with. If you think corruption is rampant, try Spain or a Third World country.

Gleeful hating of the UK is pathetic

coming from someone who spends a lot of time telling us how much he hates Scotland???  I hate the fact that Scotland is run by Westminster and want Scotland to be a friend and ally to rUK. If that makes me a UK hater then fine 

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

Rifkind and Straw have been around for so long and made so much money that they just don't give a **** anymore. Fair play. :lol:

Low Pay Commission finds that Min Wage should rise by 20p an hour to ?6.70.

If workers's wages had risen in line with bosses' wages, min wage would be ?18 an hour by now.

:seething:

Low Pay Commission finds that Min Wage should rise by 20p an hour to ?6.70.

If workers's wages had risen in line with bosses' wages, min wage would be ?18 an hour by now.

:seething:

But unemployment would be much higher because business's can't afford to pay all it's staff ?18 per hour!

And here's me thinking it was about public duty.

:lol:

I wouldn't be an MP for what they get paid. It's basically giving up your privacy and getting abuse.

I wouldn't be an MP for what they get paid. It's basically giving up your privacy and getting abuse.

Pay is not why you do the job though. Frankly, the tone of politics in this country is shocking. MPs, MSPs and Councillors are really at an ebb.

It's a job for the public, elected to your post by the public. They all, regardless of party, need to grow up. Red Tories, Blue Tories, Yellow Tories is purile crap. Offering knighthoods to ex-footballers is playing to a gallery. Smirking and shrugging your shoulders to tax avoiders is petty. Apologising repeatedly for what you've done or not done in government is tiresome.

I'd have a lot more time for politicians as a profession if they accepted the limitations they are under. The Labour party needs to accept they may need to work across the left in government. The SNP need to pick what narrative it is - work with UK Labour as part of this "progressive alliance across the UK" or call them Red Tories and accept they're running a hypocritical campaign. The Tories need to wake up and realise that we need the EU and we need don't need to blame all our own ills on Europe. The LibDems need to just suck it up, they need to say that they weren't the government, they couldn't enact their policies as a whole and as part of a Coalition there were limits to what they could do, but add they've softened the Tory policies that they've been stuck with.

As for those putting the boot into another Westminster scandal because it's Westminster. I'd say that the Scottish Parliament is young and there is plenty time for the bad shit to come out. There clearly is plenty of it in politics. What comes around goes around.

Pay is not why you do the job though. Frankly, the tone of politics in this country is shocking. MPs, MSPs and Councillors are really at an ebb.

It's a job for the public, elected to your post by the public. They all, regardless of party, need to grow up. Red Tories, Blue Tories, Yellow Tories is purile crap. Offering knighthoods to ex-footballers is playing to a gallery. Smirking and shrugging your shoulders to tax avoiders is petty. Apologising repeatedly for what you've done or not done in government is tiresome.

I'd have a lot more time for politicians as a profession if they accepted the limitations they are under. The Labour party needs to accept they may need to work across the left in government. The SNP need to pick what narrative it is - work with UK Labour as part of this "progressive alliance across the UK" or call them Red Tories and accept they're running a hypocritical campaign. The Tories need to wake up and realise that we need the EU and we need don't need to blame all our own ills on Europe. The LibDems need to just suck it up, they need to say that they weren't the government, they couldn't enact their policies as a whole and as part of a Coalition there were limits to what they could do, but add they've softened the Tory policies that they've been stuck with.

As for those putting the boot into another Westminster scandal because it's Westminster. I'd say that the Scottish Parliament is young and there is plenty time for the bad shit to come out. There clearly is plenty of it in politics. What comes around goes around.

Pay shouldn't be the only factor. The pay isn't good considering what you are giving up though.

If we want the most talented people going into politics we need to pay them more.

Just wanting to do good isnt enough IMO. Well intentioned idiots are still idiots.

I agree that politicians need to conduct themselves better - there's no doubt about that.

Call me crazy but they could always quit and get other jobs.

Funny that.

They must be shiteing themselves about their peerages now.

*only* ?60k a year plus unlimited expenses claims, including mortgage for a fixed term 5 year job, at the end of which is a superb pension for life?

Pish deal right enough :vrface:

Edited by Cade

*only* ?60k a year plus unlimited expenses claims, including mortgage for a fixed term 5 year job, at the end of which is a superb pension for life?

Some head teachers make more than that for looking after the needs of 1000 kids. An MP looks after tens of thousands of constituents.

I'm not saying ?60k plus benefits is shit. But that's not much for a London salary and what you give up in terms of privacy is brutal.

Rifkind made over 800k in the last 5 years so this 60k figure is a nonsense. They are essentially off for 26 weeks a year so plenty time to top up their salaries.

Not to mention they can employ wives/mistresses at the taxpayers expense.

I find it very hard to have sympathy. Even with the hassle its a great position to be in.

But unemployment would be much higher because business's can't afford to pay all it's staff ?18 per hour!

This is true but there are companies out there who year on year make a very health post tax profit and STILL pay staff the absolute minimum they can get away with whilst paying executives massive salaries & bonuses.

The minimum wage in its current form is an affront to decency.

An MP is paid ?67,000 pa. Lets be honest, the wage needs to be competitive to a degree. The expenses system was effectively set up to pay for two things - running a constituency presence and running costs of being an MP. Personally I think expenses should be by law split into two areas;

1. Running a constituency office - expenses for rent of an office, wages for secretaries and a staff.

2. Costs incurred as an MP - Travel expenses, rent for a flat in London etc.

But that should be based on need. So if you are MP for Shetland and Orkney then yes you get more of part 2 as 1. If you are MP for Hackney, you get near bugger all of 2 but an equal rate of 1 to MPs from Northern Ireland, Scotland etc. 

Frankly, you either pay an MP ?120,000 a year to run the constituency office and afford everything involved in the job, as it's not a cheap job to do, or you have expenses.

On Straw and Rifkind, it should be noted this came from the Telegraph. The Telegraph has been under a tonne of pressure the past week over refusing to report on the HSBC tax avoidance scandal. Event it's political editor walked over the issue. It's almost as though this has come up at a good time for the Telegraph. Not excusing the revelations (although Straw was already on the way out, Rifkind seems to think he's a good defence so lets see where that goes) but it's almost as though this has come at too good a time to change the media narrative. 

Edited by JamboX2

This is true but there are companies out there who year on year make a very health post tax profit and STILL pay staff the absolute minimum they can get away with whilst paying executives massive salaries & bonuses.

The minimum wage in its current form is an affront to decency.

You are right. But many of these companies get around this altogether by having zero hours contracts. Ban them and incrementally increase the minimum wage to a living wage and you'll balance it nicely in time. 

Rifkind made over 800k in the last 5 years so this 60k figure is a nonsense. They are essentially off for 26 weeks a year so plenty time to top up their salaries.

Not to mention they can employ wives/mistresses at the taxpayers expense.

I find it very hard to have sympathy. Even with the hassle its a great position to be in.

No it's not. Rifkind has a second job, or a few other jobs. That's not right. Whilst you are an MP you should draw a salary only from being an MP. You should not have another role for remuneration whilst being an MP. And any pro-bono work you do needs declared whenever it arises.

As an MP he's made his salary. It's the other stuff which got him that amount.

On point two, flippantly, Sturgeon employs her husband who is President of the SNP and she Leader of the SNP. Talk about employing your spouse haha.

Edited by JamboX2

No it's not. Rifkind has a second job, or a few other jobs. That's not right. Whilst you are an MP you should draw a salary only from being an MP. You should not have another role for remuneration whilst being an MP. And any pro-bono work you do needs declared whenever it arises.

On point two, flippantly, Sturgeon employs her husband who is President of the SNP and she Leader of the SNP. Talk about employing your spouse haha.

I'm not sure what point your trying to make. A considerable number MPs earn more than 60k. The additional jobs usually come because they are MPs in the first place.

Secondly - I can't believe it's taken this long for someone to say "but the SNP...." flippantly or not. I think we can all agree they are all at it - although some seem to benefit more than others.

Coincidently the industries that would most benefit from a minimum wage increase are the industries that most often pay it.

It is obscene that the government has to top up the wages of people who are working full time in places making billions in profits.

Rifkind earned:

Declared earnings from business interests: ?265,355.44.

MP's Salary: ?67,060

MP's expenses: ?142,447:34.

Committee Chairmanship allowance: ?14,039.

Paid for overseas visits: ?11,059

Total:?499,960.78.

He gets ?60k a year to sit on the board of Alliance Medical who make ?120 million a year including a scanning contract with the NHS worth around ?8M a year.

These people are corrupt and should not be anywhere near a government.

I'm not sure what point your trying to make. A considerable number MPs earn more than 60k. The additional jobs usually come because they are MPs in the first place.

Secondly - I can't believe it's taken this long for someone to say "but the SNP...." flippantly or not. I think we can all agree they are all at it - although some seem to benefit more than others.

My second point was an illustration of the narrowness of the social groups of people in politics. Balls and Cooper are another good example of that.

On Rifkind, I don't agree with second jobs for those in politics. Or at the least paid second johs. But its not against the rules yet. Nor would I say its corrupt. The issue is a lack of safeguards to prevent undue influence of these other interests and the lack of a statutory register of lobbyists in all parliaments in the UK is a major flaw in this system.

My second point was an illustration of the narrowness of the social groups of people in politics. Balls and Cooper are another good example of that.

On Rifkind, I don't agree with second jobs for those in politics. Or at the least paid second johs. But its not against the rules yet. Nor would I say its corrupt. The issue is a lack of safeguards to prevent undue influence of these other interests and the lack of a statutory register of lobbyists in all parliaments in the UK is a major flaw in this system.

I think we're in agreement then. There's a first time for everything.

If you were banned from having another job then who would want to be an MP? ?60k is miniscule compared to what these people would expect to earn in the 'real' world.

I'm not justifying the greed and corruption but it's easy to see why MPs look to other incomes.

Re the MP's- its part time at best.

They also have their food paid for subsidised + rent paid for + their household income is boosted because they employ their kids and wives + monster pension.

So in essence they live for free, and the tax payer employs their whole family.

And after they leave their MP job they enter massively lucrative positions because they were an MP. 5 years on (effectively ) a six figure "poverty" salary then rewarded with directorships etc worth vastly more.

I'd take that

Nadine Dorris was mumping about her salary and GP friends were making more that her - but she employed on of her kids in her office for ?30,000 whilst they were at Uni I believe.]

Different world entirely

Re the MP's- its part time at best.

They also have their food paid for subsidised + rent paid for + their household income is boosted because they employ their kids and wives + monster pension.

So in essence they live for free, and the tax payer employs their whole family.

And after they leave their MP job they enter massively lucrative positions because they were an MP. 5 years on (effectively ) a six figure "poverty" salary then rewarded with directorships etc worth vastly more.

I'd take that

Nadine Dorris was mumping about her salary and GP friends were making more that her - but she employed on of her kids in her office for ?30,000 whilst they were at Uni I believe.]

Different world entirely

How much do you earn and how many hours do you work a week to earn it?

If you were banned from having another job then who would want to be an MP? ?60k is miniscule compared to what these people would expect to earn in the 'real' world.

I'm not justifying the greed and corruption but it's easy to see why MPs look to other incomes.

After leaving publicn service their income rockets - solely because they were an MP- see it as more of an apprenticeship for ludicrously well paid work they will get afterwards as a result of their MP work.

There are also very few other jobs you can do whilst already working full time

Radio this am had a full time barrister on who is also an MP.

Hell, I'd take an MP job evenings and weekends for ?67k + perks + wife job+ kids job + rent +food +travel+ foreign jaunts + monster pension+ huge payoff if I lose my seat+connections+directorships and so on and so forth