Israel starts ground offensive in Gaza.

Eckauskas

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tommy Wiseau

I thought it was appallingly biased. Game of opinions, eh?

Yep. I was expecting to see David Harris' name attached to it, but Melanie Phillips figures just as well. Have a look up on Phillips' other views on Palestine and Israel if you're not already aware of them.

Yep. I was expecting to see David Harris' name attached to it, but Melanie Phillips figures just as well. Have a look up on Phillips' other views on Palestine and Israel if you're not already aware of them.

Cheers, I hadn't made the connection...she pops up on QT now and again, doesn't she (or she used to, at least)?

She's awful.

Malinga the Swinga

Hamas needed the Israeli attacks as in the last year, all it's funding from countries had dried up and they were unable to pay its members/ operatives any money. The only funds available were from Iran but they would't pay it over unless there was trouble. As a result, Hamas lobs over 1300 approx missiles into Israel, Israel as usual responds in heavy handed manner with the result Hamas gets funds and appeals to Palestinians as main protectors.

It is a vicious circle as Israel won't negotiate with anyone who associates with Iran and Hamas want to cling on to their only power base. Neither side cares if a few hundred Palestinians die and as a result, we have the current situation in Gaza.

How do you resolve thesis anyone's guess. A start would be a US president who had balls and would stand up to Jewish lobby in USA. That won't happen though as they all want Jewish vote and money. A president from Iran who isn't a complete nut job would also help as they could negotiate with US to stop sanctions. That won't happen either as main power base in Iran is from religious clergy who still call US the Great Satan.

It's patronising, ignorant and dangerous to suggest anger at a government which has killed hundreds of civilians is down to anti-semitism.

It's patronising, ignorant and dangerous to suggest anger at a government which has killed hundreds of civilians is down to anti-semitism.

It is deeply insulting and ignorant to the victims of actual genocidal events to compare them to this.

We can all play the offended card.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

http://www.spectator...ough-dead-jews/

Good piece on 'Israel abandoned'

that is a truly terrifying article. Words fail me that people would actually pay money to read this - it reads like something that Hitler would have been proud of. What is even more amazing is that a Hearts fan could find this article in any way good

It is deeply insulting and ignorant to the victims of actual genocidal events to compare them to this.

We can all play the offended card.

Whilst i've not described the conflict as a genocide I have to be honest and say I couldn't care less about Israel's hurt feelings for the duration they are bombing women and children.

Tommy Wiseau

Cheers, I hadn't made the connection...she pops up on QT now and again, doesn't she (or she used to, at least)?

She's awful.

That's the one. Thinks that schools teaching children about the emperor penguin are part of a government-backed gay conspiracy, accused the Independent Jewish Voice group - who are comprised of prominent British Jews like Mike Leigh and Zoe Wanamaker - of supporting the genocide of Jews, that Melanie Phillips.

It is an article full of bullshit straw men and unsubstantiated claim - but comfortably the most distasteful aspect is where she dismisses Palestinian civilian death statistics as "worthless". She devotes not one word to expressing sorrow, or even empathy, with Palestinian innocents killed by Israeli attacks (the closest she gets is when she sarcastically mocks criticism of Israel by pointing out their benevolence in giving warnings of their attacks), but reserves a paragraph to her sympathy for the mothers of Israeli soldiers who would be casualties in an Israeli invasion of Gaza. I mean, whatever your political viewpoints, that is pretty ****ed up stuff.

Tommy Wiseau

that is a truly terrifying article. Words fail me that people would actually pay money to read this - it reads like something that Hitler would have been proud of. What is even more amazing is that a Hearts fan could find this article in any way good

A Hearts fan? :lol:

I saw a Hearts fan in Prague with a ****ing KKK tattoo. The Hearts support is full of vermin that someone who liked that article, regardless of how awful I think it is, could never be compared to in any way.

TheMaganator

I do not necessarily agree with much of it but it does highlight some of the reactionary views of people we?ve witnessed especially on social media. People are very quick to condemn Israel without knowing the whole picture.

I made my feelings known on the other thread re Israel ? I can see both sides of the argument and will not judge either.

Thanks for your totally over-the-top hysterical reaction though. I can?t tell - are you suggesting that me thinking that it is a good piece makes me akin to Hitler? You do realise that you can think an article is good without agreeing with the content, don?t you? Perhaps you don?t.

And your ?shirley not a Hearts fan? stuff ? I am sorry ? I didn?t get the memo advising me what Hearts? fans politics and views are meant to be. Could you forward them on to me?

Eh? I am passing no comment on the article. Haven't even read it. But what has being a Hearts fan got to do with politics and ethics? !

TheMaganator

Whilst i've not described the conflict as a genocide I have to be honest and say I couldn't care less about Israel's hurt feelings for the duration they are bombing women and children.

Erm - you do realise who Hamas are bombing, right?

Erm - you do realise who Hamas are bombing, right?

I didn't realise I had to preface every post with condemnation of Hamas' bombing campaign.

Resolution can be read in full here:

http://www.thenewsmi....com/worlds/212

The US voting against this is disgusting but in a strange way I find it more palatable than the cowardly abstentions.

I agree with this. At least you know where they stand, although clearly many of us disagree vehemently with that stance. France, Germany, Britain and Italy abstaining, though - what a bunch of chicken-sh1t ****s.

Heard it all now, Hamas only attacks Israel for money! **** me sideways!

Complete ignore the fact that for 18 months not a single rocket was fired at Israel till those 3 boys were killed and Israel started firing bombs into Gaza!

It seems it's ok to wish death to Muslims but if you condemn the systemic killing of children and women by a Jewish state you are anti Semitic.

I don't care what anyone says. No-one can convince me that targeting hospitals is okay. Some things are just wrong regardless of the reasons or provocation.

Lavrentiy Beria

The whole Middle East is a mess that will never be resolved cant see how any of the sides meet common ground. An absolute disgrace in this day and age, The same shit will be happening in 50 yrs with the same excuses and the same blame game . People are dying its not on !

• Moderators

Dozens of personally abusive and trolling posts removed, and messages sent to 6 people. Please read them, because any more personal jibes or abuse will lead to suspensions or even bans.

Eh? I am passing no comment on the article. Haven't even read it. But what has being a Hearts fan got to do with politics and ethics? !

probably (definitely?) typed before I engaged my brain, I just found the article disgusting on so many levels. I naively think that, as Hearts fans we have something in common but, you are correct, when it comes to politics we are a broad church. Still a terrible article written by one of the most racist people you will ever come across.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

If Melanie Phillips is backing Israel then I'm automatically siding with the Palestinians

Isaac Clarke

UN staff among the dead from an artillery strike on a school.

Oh Israel. :vrface:

I don't know what it is but Israel must have a strategy and aims in deliberately killing Arab children and their relatives. Wonder what is. Where's Wikileaks when you need them.

According to Twitter Palestinians have been shot dead during a peaceful protest and are now marching on Israeli settlements. Nothing on news outlets yet but if true things are about to get even more shitty.

According to Twitter Palestinians have been shot dead during a peaceful protest and are now marching en masse on Israeli settlements. Nothing on news outlets yet but if true things are about to get even more shitty.

Pete Seeger

Israel spokesman getting a hiding on Newsnight currently. The narrative is changing.

The length of time it's taken for the media to wake up to what's going on is deeply alarming. Israel aren't doing themselves any favours here. Even the American public seem to be swaying against them.

The report on the channel 4 link was horrible. What a world we live in.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Which groups of charities are worth getting involved with in relation to the treatment of the Palestinians? I don't want anything political or militant but I'd like to contribute something.

Not sure specifically in regards Palestine but there's never a bad time to donate to UNICEF or Doctors Without Borders. Both apolitical and have high percentages of donations reaching the people it's designed to help.

I have a close friend involved with DWB and they really are an incredible organisation.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Not sure specifically in regards Palestine but there's never a bad time to donate to UNICEF or Doctors Without Borders. Both apolitical and have high percentages of donations reaching the people it's designed to help.

I have a close friend involved with DWB and they really are an incredible organisation.

Thanks for that, I'll check them out. Need all the help they can get just now

?I am amazed again and again at how little Israelis know of what?s going on fifteen minutes away from their homes,? he says. ?The brainwashing machinery is so efficient that trying [to undo it is] almost like trying to turn an omelette back to an egg. It makes people so full of ignorance and cruelty.?

http://www.independe...ic-2087909.html

An old article, but worth a read in the current climate.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Been checking out that Melanie Phillips twitter feed. She is a despicable piece of shit

maroonlegions

10485280_685028221581340_1278440907000160061_n.jpg

A bit of reality from Snow and his comment is bang on, Rules of engagement are being flaunted and the UN have already indicated that there could very well be war crimes being committed here, sickening to say the least.

Ibrahim Tall

Its a bit long winded but it will certainly enlighten on why Israel and its people feel the need to defend themselves......Scary.

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/20th_century/hamas.asp

"Defending" themselves is one thing, I doubt for instance many would complain about Israels conduct in the Yom Kippur War.

Bombing the shite out of primary schools, beaches and hospitals is another thing entirely.

10485280_685028221581340_1278440907000160061_n.jpg

A bit of reality from Snow and his comment is bang on, Rules of engagement are being flaunted and the UN have already indicated that there could very well be war crimes being committed here, sickening to say the least.

Unfortunately his comment is not true. This sort of thing has been going on for two years in one of Israel's neighbouring countries. Nearly 200,000 dead, including over 8,000 children. While much regret over events in Syria has been expressed in the West, there has been very little of the outrage that accompanies the Israeli-Palestine conflict.

Unfortunately his comment is not true. This sort of thing has been going on for two years in one of Israel's neighbouring countries. Nearly 200,000 dead, including over 8,000 children. While much regret over events in Syria has been expressed in the West, there has been very little of the outrage that accompanies the Israeli-Palestine conflict.

Good point.

Why?

Now re Syria I wonder if media doesn't cover cos UK government supported regime change and anti Bashir stance since day one and highlighting the worst displacement of people in living memory and the extremes of the rebels is too inconvenient though ISIS has been mentioned though more as a threat in Iraq.

Atrocities in Egypt missed as Government, US etc back "strong government. Libya in a state of if not civil war then tribal fighting with no government. Who bombed it to regime change?

How governments are supported or allowed to do what they want cos we back them is the issue. UK is supportive to Israel but not to the same extent as other areas. See USA for why Israel can do what it wants.

And then there is Saudi Arabia...perhaps the source of funding and support including religious sanction to all extreme Islanic movements including those seeking to bring destruction to Shia people. UK is big friend of Saudi Arabia.

And so it goes.

We've got our allies and friends all wrong.

But no excuse for Israel.

Fortunately beginnings of a backlash in Turkey etc. where boycotts of Israeli goods are starting. Israel needs help or it will bring its own destruction.

But I agree there are worse regimes.

The Shed Floodlight

Israel has the right to defend itself. They are not going to stand back and let Rockets be fired to their towns and Cities.

As for Hamas - the Palestinian people must point the finger to themselves for allowing this mob to rule them anyway. Was always going to end in disaster for them.

On a sidenote did anyone see the clown with the Sellik top on waving a Palestinian flag half way up a mountain in France at the Tour De France. i mean, really WTF are all those clowns from that despicable club all about

Archived