The poker thread...

The Merse

25/50 cent cash 9 seater. Im small blind, its folded to me i have 7 10 diamonds. the BB is loose and very aggressive, I had already doubled up through him with AK when K high flop came and he bet big every street, he turned over 55. So im sitting with $115 he has $50. HE raises it $1.50 as expected, I make a call. flop comed down, 5c,8d,9d...open ended str8 flush draw. I check(knowing he will bet and i will re raise him) he makes it $6.50, I re raise up $15 and he flat calls..then the Ad comes on the turn, I bet $15 and he shoves in for the rest of his chips, I call he has Q2 of diamonds and wins. How many mistakes did i make? Apart from the obvious folding pre flop would you play this hand differently>?

That's just a cooler. S4it happens moment.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Merse

• Era Macaroons

• Bigsmak

• Statto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Full Tilt. .25/.50

6-max is a totally different type of game. TPTK is a big hand and at those stakes there are always a lot of short stacks waiting to shove on the flop.

You definitely have to change your game style. Get to know who the blind stealers are and 3-bet re-steal from them once in a while - very profitable. Slow-play big pairs if there's a raise junkie on the table then slam it all in on the flop or as a pre-flop re-raise, that type of thing.

You definitely have to be prepared to commit your stack when you think you are ahead. Quite volatile, so worth dropping a level - you'll still make more money.

Do you play 6 seated ring games? I sat down on one the other night and it seems this is the way people play them, they call raises with A rag hit bottom pair and are happy to get there chips in the middle. Just a gamble-fest. Played 3 rounds of the table, and in those 18 hands there was at least 6 all in showdowns. Mental, I'll stick to 9 seats.

Yep 6 max is what i play.

9 or 10 seaters too boring, basically just have to wait for aces on them to get a pay off!

6 seaters are good as you can play more poker and put more pressure on people and use your position alot more!

I need to work on my pressure though, not been continue betting alot recently as it just aint working for me, none of my bets get through these days!

6-max is a totally different type of game. TPTK is a big hand and at those stakes there are always a lot of short stacks waiting to shove on the flop.

You definitely have to change your game style. Get to know who the blind stealers are and 3-bet re-steal from them once in a while - very profitable. Slow-play big pairs if there's a raise junkie on the table then slam it all in on the flop or as a pre-flop re-raise, that type of thing.

You definitely have to be prepared to commit your stack when you think you are ahead. Quite volatile, so worth dropping a level - you'll still make more money.

BPTK was what these guys were shipping in with.

I kight drop a level and try it though. cheers

Yep 6 max is what i play.

9 or 10 seaters too boring, basically just have to wait for aces on them to get a pay off!

6 seaters are good as you can play more poker and put more pressure on people and use your position alot more!

I need to work on my pressure though, not been continue betting alot recently as it just aint working for me, none of my bets get through these days!

What I see all the time on 6-max is the "floater". Villain has some tiny piece of the board or a small pocket pair and calls the continuation bet. You bottle it on the turn (with unimproved AK)and he bets the river OOP leaving you with no option but to fold.

Probably better to check the flop (after him) and bet the turn after his 2nd chk - where he has exposed his hand as weak. You can then pot bet the river knowing he will struggle to justify the call.

or ...

Bet 1/2 pot continuation on the flop and full pot on the turn. The half pot lets him expose his hand as weak and the full pot turn bet makes it look like you were soft playing a monster but now mean business.

A large percentage of people don't fold to a continuation bet on a 6-max table.

What I see all the time on 6-max is the "floater". Villain has some tiny piece of the board or a small pocket pair and calls the continuation bet. You bottle it on the turn (with unimproved AK)and he bets the river OOP leaving you with no option but to fold.

Probably better to check the flop (after him) and bet the turn after his 2nd chk - where he has exposed his hand as weak. You can then pot bet the river knowing he will struggle to justify the call.

or ...

Bet 1/2 pot continuation on the flop and full pot on the turn. The half pot lets him expose his hand as weak and the full pot turn bet makes it look like you were soft playing a monster but now mean business.

A large percentage of people don't fold to a continuation bet on a 6-max table.

Ohhh i know all about floating.

I do it quite regularly to say the least!

Only annoying thing is when you float and the guy hits the turn!

I've been doing alot more 3 betting pre flop with position these days but all I seem to get is folk check shipping the flop to me so my timing seems to be way off when I'm pumping it up on the button with 78 suited or whatever it is I go for it with.

I'm running bad though, my confidence is shot to pieces and I'm finding it harder and harder to fire the 3rd barrell!

BPTK was what these guys were shipping in with.

I kight drop a level and try it though. cheers

You'll find fifferent tables with different "character" too.

Some tables play really tight, others totally crazy.

The extra player make a full ring game balance out, on 6-max i think you get 2 players turning it into a shooting gallery. You can sit back on those table and wait for spots.

As D-MCG says you have to watch your position - people use position all the time to steal.

A 3-bet on the button or from the blinds is often just a steal, so don't be folding your JJ too soon. A low flop and they could be very good.

11th in tonights ?15K bounty hunter on sky.

?70 + ?60 in bounties.

The big hand I lost was an all in from a stack slightly shorter than me, he had AK, I had AQ. I had about 90,000 with blinds at 6,000/12,000. He pushed for 70,000 - I don't think I could have got away from it with the blinds as high as they were.

Hopefully I'll be on TV soon. :2thumbsup:

playing drunk isnt advisable, however. In two hands I got KK vsKQ all in pre flop lost, then I had 66..limped.. BB call.. 10 6 4 ....he bets i re riase he calls. an A.. .. he bets i put him in, he calls with 10 4...boooooom 10 on river.

it has to be said, me and the guy wrre mouthing off, why does it always have to be the slimey french **** that gets lucky v u.

playing drunk isnt advisable, however. In two hands I got KK vsKQ all in pre flop lost, then I had 66..limped.. BB call.. 10 6 4 ....he bets i re riase he calls. an A.. .. he bets i put him in, he calls with 10 4...boooooom 10 on river.

it has to be said, me and the guy wrre mouthing off, why does it always have to be the slimey french **** that gets lucky v u.

****em.com. about 50hands later. 55 limp, he bets 3 x BB. call with 55 flop comes 510A I bet he re riases big I oush he has AJ. Thank you FRench donk, go home please. yes i hit two sets versus him, but **** him for being ther first time with 10 4(even though he won) and **** him for thinking AJ is good 9 seats.

ps im down billions then night:43:

Had a good couple of nights in the Circus, won the tournament on Sunday and last nights one as well. Fairly chuffed with myself, played some good stuff and won a couple of races for once.

Looking forward to the start of the Scottish Championships at the Maybury tonight. ?150 game to kick it off, will be brilliant to play and have no pressure on me whatsoever to do well. Anyone else in?

Had a good couple of nights in the Circus, won the tournament on Sunday and last nights one as well. Fairly chuffed with myself, played some good stuff and won a couple of races for once.

Looking forward to the start of the Scottish Championships at the Maybury tonight. ?150 game to kick it off, will be brilliant to play and have no pressure on me whatsoever to do well. Anyone else in?

Good work mate.

Nice timing!!

Whats this all about? Winning? I thought this thread was for bad bad beats and general complaints against the poker gods?:stuart:

Nice one, all the best the night:2thumbsup:

Cheers lads, been well needed, was really starting to get p*ssed off with poker but this has restored my faith.

Not got a clue if it can be followed, I really doubt it though, it's barely been advertised nevermind them organising a facility to allow you to follow it online. Few rumours that numbers will be really low for some of the events but only time will tell. I'm just going to enjoy myself, will give an update tomorrow at some point.

just started that Mini FTOPS event1 tourney. Never realised it was on so late when i qualified for it a couple of weeks ago. 5k starting chips slow blinds, 15,000 entrants.

Ok well bad start. down to 3000 already :21:

only just went into level 2.

limped with QJ flop QQ5... vs the blinds(10/20) I bet 100, two callers..turn A. SB bets 300 i re raise 800. he calls river 6. he bets 600, I just call he has 66 and went all that way and riverd me.

two hands later AK vs the same guy, he called my 4xBB raise. A64 I bet 160 he calls.turn 5 I bet 390 he calls. river brings a Q. I check to him who then checks and turns over 78 for a turned straight(dunno why he checked it on river).

Great start. anyway just went into level 3 and blinds still only 20/40 so 3k is plenty for now:43:

Got no hands for ages, and no stealing situations, was ground blinded down to 1400 with 80/160 blinds and got all in with AJ vs J8. so doubled to 3000.

Then next level 100/200 I raised it up to 900 with AK large stack calls KJ10 flop I have 2100 left(think theres a chance he has two pair or something decent), but have to push. HE calls Q9 flopped the straight...turn comes Q and Ive doubled up..lucky lucky boy..2nd break 6500 chips...16750 starters just 9300 left. easy.:stuart:

2nd piece of all in luck. blinds 200/400 had 88 aggressive big stack raises, I pushed in for 5500, he has 1010 and i turned the set. over 12k now, approaching 3rd break, 4500 people left. If I keep getting lucky I might still be awake when your all getting out your beds

bed time then:43: out in 2700th odd. about 550 from cashing. Allin pre with AQ and BB had AK, must have used all my luck as never hit. 3and a half hours of that tourney and not one single AA KK QQ 1010 or 99. I had JJ once and won the blinds, and can only remember AK twice. Cant complain really when i won twice all in from behind i suppose. $50K for whoever wins it the lucky *****************

Coldest deck ever last night. I'm in BB with 9c 4c and it's min raised round to me, I call to see the cheap flop with about 11/1 on my money.

Flop comes down 4 9 A, rainbow with one club. I check, UTG min bets and I smooth call along with 3 others. Turn a 9. Min bet goes in, again I smooth call. River is a blank and I put in a value bet of about 2/3 - 3/4 of the pot. UTG raises, everyone else folds. I put him on either trip nines or 2 pairs, one an Ace and obviously shove.

My hands are rubbing together at the insta call until he turns over Ace 9...

Other than perhaps folding pre-flop instead of defending my blind, was there any way I could get away from the hand?

Coldest deck ever last night. I'm in BB with 9c 4c and it's min raised round to me, I call to see the cheap flop with about 11/1 on my money.

Flop comes down 4 9 A, rainbow with one club. I check, UTG min bets and I smooth call along with 3 others. Turn a 9. Min bet goes in, again I smooth call. River is a blank and I put in a value bet of about 2/3 - 3/4 of the pot. UTG raises, everyone else folds. I put him on either trip nines or 2 pairs, one an Ace and obviously shove.

My hands are rubbing together at the insta call until he turns over Ace 9...

Other than perhaps folding pre-flop instead of defending my blind, was there any way I could get away from the hand?

Unlikely you can get away.

I wouldn't have smooth called the flop though, I'd have led out with a bet or check raised, bottom two pair is a very precarious hand and can get you in alot of trouble. You need to thin the field and find out where you are as early as you can. If you check raise and still get re-raised you can just about get away.

Once you've filled up on the turn though you can't get away.

Unlikely you can get away.

I wouldn't have smooth called the flop though, I'd have led out with a bet or check raised, bottom two pair is a very precarious hand and can get you in alot of trouble. You need to thin the field and find out where you are as early as you can. If you check raise and still get re-raised you can just about get away.

Once you've filled up on the turn though you can't get away.

Cheers.

The only reason I didn't do that on the flop was because this same player had been pulling the min bet when he was fishing for cards quite regularly. I'd read him as doing the same thing again and was fairly certain I was ahead. It's not something I do often but I'll definitely be more wary of it in future.

Unlucky. Was it good fun though? Wish I had been home to try it.

It was alright, bit late for a deep stacked tourney to be starting though. Plus It was surprising how big the pots got even through the first couple of levels. Don't think they all start that late on so might try getting into some others.

5-Dubbelow tonight anyone?

Won my satellite this afternoon, flopped a straight, checked, he hit his Ace on the turn and all the chips went in on the river.

http://www.pokertableratings.com

Just discovered this site, I knew there was ones for tournament ratings and Sngos, but this one shows you cash game stats.

Some of my stats...for 25/50cent 9 seat biggest pots won.

cards pot won

55 $75

77 $59

A10 $54

AA $52

AA $49

66 $48

K6 $42 (strange, was flush)

Q10 $37

1010 $37

AA $37

biggest losses

KK $55

JJ $47

Q10 $42

A2 $40

97 $40

A6 $33

Aq $31

66 $30

88 $28

1010 $28

Those are some rank hands ive been losing big pots with..lol If i was to bet i would have said most of my bigger pot defeats would have been with AA KK QQ AK. very strange.

you can hover over a certain hand and see how many times youve had AA for example and the profit/loss youve made....

heres a few examples for me

AA 26 times for $265 profit

KK 30 time for $54 profit

AKo 26times for $110

losers

AQo 20 times for $85 loss

JJ 22 times for $25 loss

It also analyses how many hands youve played vs a certain player and how much $ you are up or down versus them. Quite a good website:2thumbsup:

http://www.pokertableratings.com

Just discovered this site, I knew there was ones for tournament ratings and Sngos, but this one shows you cash game stats.

Some of my stats...for 25/50cent 9 seat biggest pots won.

cards pot won

55 $75

77 $59

A10 $54

AA $52

AA $49

66 $48

K6 $42 (strange, was flush)

Q10 $37

1010 $37

AA $37

biggest losses

KK $55

JJ $47

Q10 $42

A2 $40

97 $40

A6 $33

Aq $31

66 $30

88 $28

1010 $28

Those are some rank hands ive been losing big pots with..lol If i was to bet i would have said most of my bigger pot defeats would have been with AA KK QQ AK. very strange.

you can hover over a certain hand and see how many times youve had AA for example and the profit/loss youve made....

heres a few examples for me

AA 26 times for $265 profit

KK 30 time for $54 profit

AKo 26times for $110

losers

AQo 20 times for $85 loss

JJ 22 times for $25 loss

It also analyses how many hands youve played vs a certain player and how much $ you are up or down versus them. Quite a good website:2thumbsup:

Well I can add AA to the pot defeats. $35 lost all in vs KK preflop. Thats what i get for saying im surprised to see no AA in there:57:

BAD BAD day!!!! Playing on PKR. $10 buy in Tournament, about 200 players. Nothing to play with first couple of rounds so I have lost my blinds basically. Get AA, super thinks me. Blinds 5 and 10, 4 people in, I raise to 120, all call. Flop A K 10. Good enough I thinks for another 120, one folds two flat call. Turn, A, whoopee doopee I am going to rape them. 240 in, gets called by one. Other one folded. River Q, so I think she has a straight, got her raped. I check, she goes all in, me too obviously. Royal bloody Flush!!!!! Never even saw it!!!! Dikhead that I am. Out in 122 place.

Anyway, headed to the ring games. .50 and $1.00. Started off good, doubled my buy in within 5 minutes, then it was bad beat after bad bloody beat. Still, I have lost today what I won yesterday so cannae complain I guess.

How did you get on Kaka? What was the prize pool like? Whats the schedule like for the rest of the week, is there a link you could give us. cheers

Awful, 100 runners, got down to 4 tables left..... have no idea how as I barely won a hand, every time I had a big hand someone else had a bigger one. 15 grand in the pot, final table went to a chip count, winner took him 3 grand. The fact it wasn't dealer dealt was a joke imo, 15 quid fee for sweet fa!

?250 game had 20 odds registered for it when I went up so I never bothered with it, not worth the money. Circus ?20 game is much better value. Didn't bother with any of the other games as had a weekend on the sauce :2thumbsup:

playing .25/.50

i get 55, limp in from 1st pos. folded to the BB who checks flop comes 56K. He bets $2 I raised to $6 with set. he calls the turn comes 10..he bets $10 I pushed all in for $36..he calls and turns over 10 6..rivers the 6..ffs

on other table. KK I raise preflop to $2.50. button calls. J23 flop. I bet $6 he raises to $18. I push all in, he calls. QQ he turns over,...turn card Q..ffs

few hands later im in BB with Q10hearts. button min bets it, i call. K76 two hearts. He bets $2 I call..J of hearts come. I now have the flush and a royal/straight flush chance too. I bet out $8..he calls...a fourth heart comes 4. I check and he bets $10..I call dreading the worste and of course he has AK with A of hearts..ffs $140 done in ten minutes.:57:

ive limited myself to ?25 a week on ky poker and im out within the hour of my deposit. im not getting any breaks and im also playing very very bad. this has been going on for a few months now. hate this game.......naaaa i still love it lol

ive limited myself to ?25 a week on ky poker and im out within the hour of my deposit. im not getting any breaks and im also playing very very bad. this has been going on for a few months now. hate this game.......naaaa i still love it lol

lol

Respect to this post

you'll get on great wi D McG:smiley2:

I was participating in the ?1250 BH on sky, I finished 9th winning ?40, I was on the 4-handed table, I raised up in first position with Queens, the small blind squeased possibly presuming I was pressurising the small stack on the big blind, I thought about it and called, he turns A8, this is an 81,000 pot - the winner goes chip leader. An Ace comes out on the flop - disaster.

I can't complain much, I'd love it if I got all my chips in as a 70/30 favourite all of the time, I knew it wasn't the greatest spot to call the rest of my chips off, I was anticipating a race when he pushed so was delighted when I seen the Ace-8. I wasn't so thrilled when I seen the Ace high flop. I don't think you can fold in this situation, the winner was looking at ?230+, if there was a re-raise and then a push, I'd have probably managed to convince myself to find a better spot and fold, but heads up, Queens is too big a hand to fold pre-flop.

There is a "jambo" still in when I went out, is it anyone from here?

Ferkin hate Celtic

2000th post game?

I was thinking about this the other day, do William Hill still have the option to create private games, I haven't been on it since it changed and don't know if they still do it?

Going through a bad spell myself. So bad in fact I am not depositing anything in PKR.com and only playing live games. I think I am playing bad but not sure. Back to Helmuth's book tonight I reckon!!!!!

anyone who has any house games going and is looking for new faces to up the numbers give me a shout. always looking for a game. dont know many who play the game so a game here and there would be great.:2thumbsup:

Going through a bad spell myself. So bad in fact I am not depositing anything in PKR.com and only playing live games. I think I am playing bad but not sure. Back to Helmuth's book tonight I reckon!!!!!

There's your mistake.

Ed Miller's books are excellent.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/No-Limit-Hold-em-by-Sklansky-Ed-Miller-Poker-NEW_W0QQitemZ130118305691QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Nonfiction_Book?hash=item1e4ba7c79b&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

You can compliment book reading by joining up at one of the coaching sites (Cardrunners or Deuces Cracked and watch the coaching vids and converse on the forums).

Unfortunately nothing in any book I have read has told me how to avoid being a total degenerate spewtard at times.

My A game is great, my D game costs me a lot of money. :10900:

Ed Miller's books are excellent.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/No-Limit-Hold-em-by-Sklansky-Ed-Miller-Poker-NEW_W0QQitemZ130118305691QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Nonfiction_Book?hash=item1e4ba7c79b&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

You can compliment book reading by joining up at one of the coaching sites (Cardrunners or Deuces Cracked and watch the coaching vids and converse on the forums).

Unfortunately nothing in any book I have read has told me how to avoid being a total degenerate spewtard at times.

My A game is great, my D game costs me a lot of money. :10900:

Thanks MJ, I will have a look at them. I know a lot of people don't like Helmuth but following his principles have worked fro me big time. When I lose it is when the second bottle of red wine kicks in then I think I can bluff anyone. Take Saturday night. Now it was the last hand of the night for me as I was off to bed. I get 10,10. Usual stakes $1/$2 on a $20 buy in table. Four people call I go $10. Three stay. J,8,9 on the flop. Now way I look at it I am pretty sure at least one of them has a pair of Js. I have, by my calculation 10 out card, pretty damn good, so I bet $20, two called. Nothing on the turn worth worrying about so go another $20. Both call. Someone defo has Js now but I am still thinking I have the outs. River was crap so I never hit anything. So there is me now sitting with my last $40 bucks on the table. Obviously I should have just folded and walked away having doubled my money for the night but Mr Merlot says All in, course both them had a pair of Js so I lost my $20 buy in. A good night's entertainment for $20 but I should have walked. Or should I?

Thanks MJ, I will have a look at them. I know a lot of people don't like Helmuth but following his principles have worked fro me big time. When I lose it is when the second bottle of red wine kicks in then I think I can bluff anyone. Take Saturday night. Now it was the last hand of the night for me as I was off to bed. I get 10,10. Usual stakes $1/$2 on a $20 buy in table. Four people call I go $10. Three stay. J,8,9 on the flop. Now way I look at it I am pretty sure at least one of them has a pair of Js. I have, by my calculation 10 out card, pretty damn good, so I bet $20, two called. Nothing on the turn worth worrying about so go another $20. Both call. Someone defo has Js now but I am still thinking I have the outs. River was crap so I never hit anything. So there is me now sitting with my last $40 bucks on the table. Obviously I should have just folded and walked away having doubled my money for the night but Mr Merlot says All in, course both them had a pair of Js so I lost my $20 buy in. A good night's entertainment for $20 but I should have walked. Or should I?

$20 buy-in for $1/2????

Roughly, it is local currency we work in. It actually works out closer to $25 and blinds about 80c/1.60. You can rebuy as often as you like though!!!!! We find it keeps it friendly (to begin with anyway)

It works out 30 chips, 1 and 2 chips for blinds so you have 15 big blinds ( not really 15 turns, but you know what I mean!!!)

Edited by DikT.
Further explanation

I think youve answered your own question.....

you know they have you beat ....but you can beat them, just if you hit yours....POKER:hat2: