The poker thread...

The Merse

I've had a few more losses but I'm still above my ?20 starting bankroll.

Stake Profit Time Bankroll

?1.00 ?1.02 0.27 ?21.02

?1.51 ?2.89 0.22 ?23.91 *should have been ?1.05 staked

?1.20 ?1.13 0.22 ?25.04

?1.25 -?1.25 0.03 ?23.79

?1.19 -?1.19 0.28 ?22.60

?1.13 ?1.43 0.48 ?24.03

?1.20 -?1.20 0.02 ?22.83

?1.14 -?1.14 0.24 ?21.69

?1.09 -?0.31 0.32 ?21.38

Total time at the tables- 3hrs 28mins

Total Profit- ?1.38

Time/Profit Ratio- 6.6p every 10mins, I'll be minted in no time:tongue:

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Merse

• Era Macaroons

• Bigsmak

• Statto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've just joined the club, a ROYAL FLUSH!!!:laugh:

All in pre-flop utg, KcQc.

1 caller, 88

flop Ac 6 A

turn Tc

river Jc

I'm posting this as I play, ?200 gtd tourney, 8765 chips, blinds 2000/4000, 25th of 29, 20 paid.

Now 23rd of 27.

EDIT: Out 25th, all-in seconds after original post with AK utg, BB calls with AA.

Edited by Statto
Out now.

**SKY POKER UK TOUR**

Edinburgh, Final chance to qualify, 5 Semi final seats left only.

Qualifier seats will probally go within 30 mins.

Anyone else playing on Saturday at the Maybury?

Feels like ages since the qualifiers. Really looking forward to it.

I'm not but my mate is, might come along though and see how he gets on.

Walter Payton

You still playing tomorrow night mate?

Been pretty steady since I came back. Won two weeks in a row but only very small stuff. One great hand on Saturday though. I was BB 5d7d. Three people called the BB so I just limped. 6d8dQd on the flop. Big bet from one guy, another called, SB raised again. I am thinking OK someone has a bigger flush than me but not really caring as I was getting close to having to rebuy so went all in. Two called and one folded. They were in a side pot Ad for the turn. First guy goes all in and gets called. Other guy shows the Jd he has Kd. He was up and doing his silly bum wiggling dance when the river was getting turned. 4d!!! Best thing was neither of them realised I had the straight flush. Brilliant it was. Hoping for a good one this weekend.

I came along for a bit, played a couple of side games with Dave Compton (sp???).

I seen Norman Pace's KK hand, v AT, the other guy hit 2 T's then NP hit K on river.:laugh:

I can't wait for Newcastle. 5 weeks:tongue:

Era Macaroons

any joy?

any joy?

Lost half my stack early on with aces v a set of tens. Saved from going bust when 4 clubs appeared on the board.

Doubled up with AK when I floped Broadway but then became card dead. Had a couple of blind steals get though but eventually I pushed with J9 with 9BB left and the blinds going up next hand when folded around to me on the button. Got called by the big blind with KQ. Finished around 70th.

Not that happy with how I played, I could of played much better and Ive got so much I need to improve on.

However the day was good fun, good banter.

Bring on the Newcastle leg next month!

I've now ran my sky poker account up in 2 and a half weeks from ?70 and balance is now sitting at ?1,771. Thats all through playing 25/50p blinds!

Really not sure what to do now, whether to withdraw, try my luck on the next blind level or what. Should maybe just stick to the levels I'm having success at? I really haven't a clue where to go from here, feel comfortable having a large bank roll like that but also can't afford to lose that? Then again I feel that having it in their gives me the confidence to push on.

Hmmmm.

Read up on bankroll management before moving up. I'd imagine that it's very easy to blow it if you move up too quickly.

Ron Atkinsons Microphone

Work nightshift so I downloaded PokerStars remembering I had credit in it.

I only had $4! Sat down at a $.10/$0.25 table, after 156 hands was sitting on $79.

Withdrew $50 and I'm currently playing the rest, will post updates!

mmm, bank role management.

I think I Finally know what it means..

Right.. if every hand you ever played from now on was AA vs KK you with the AA of course... you would be delighted.. and let me tell you that you would be all in for every single one of these hands.. Forever

Life would be good.. you would be the best winning poker player in the history of the world. Ever..

But wait for just one second... AA is a 81.25% Vs KK which has 18.74% (when your suits don't clash) this means... that in every 100 hands you play, you will lose 18-19 of them...

Holy crap... 18 or 19 times..., but you win 81 times...

Now.. what happens if you have your entire bankroll on the table for every one of these hands that you are playing? Well you would lose your entire bankroll 18 times in 100.

Shoot..... that's not good..

So when you follow Bankroll management properly (like I am starting to learn to do) you play with only one 20th to one 50th ... (that's 1/20 to 1/50) of your available cash at any time... That way, when the 18 or 19 times you lose with AA Vs KK all happen in a row... you are fine. And what happens when you lose the hand 36 times in a row.. it could happen... You're still fine

So, don't risk all your money at once.. even if every hand is AA vs KK

attachment.php?attachmentid=757&stc=1&d=1146365596

mmm, bank role management.

I think I Finally know what it means..

Right.. if every hand you ever played from now on was AA vs KK you with the AA of course... you would be delighted.. and let me tell you that you would be all in for every single one of these hands.. Forever

Life would be good.. you would be the best winning poker player in the history of the world. Ever..

But wait for just one second... AA is a 81.25% Vs KK which has 18.74% (when your suits don't clash) this means... that in every 100 hands you play, you will lose 18-19 of them...

Holy crap... 18 or 19 times..., but you win 81 times...

Now.. what happens if you have your entire bankroll on the table for every one of these hands that you are playing? Well you would lose your entire bankroll 18 times in 100.

Shoot..... that's not good..

So when you follow Bankroll management properly (like I am starting to learn to do) you play with only one 20th to one 50th ... (that's 1/20 to 1/50) of your available cash at any time... That way, when the 18 or 19 times you lose with AA Vs KK all happen in a row... you are fine. And what happens when you lose the hand 36 times in a row.. it could happen... You're still fine

So, don't risk all your money at once.. even if every hand is AA vs KK

attachment.php?attachmentid=757&stc=1&d=1146365596

Good post.

Thing is, I have more money now in my Sky Poker acc than I do in my bank. I don't want to withdraw as I feel it takes an edge off my play not having the security behind, and feel I'm more successful with it in there. Then again, I have a mortgage to pay!

Good post.

Thing is, I have more money now in my Sky Poker acc than I do in my bank. I don't want to withdraw as I feel it takes an edge off my play not having the security behind, and feel I'm more successful with it in there. Then again, I have a mortgage to pay!

well you say you have $1,700 in your sky account, according to the buy in chart you should be playing ?50 buy ins.. thats the 25c-50c NL poker.. and when you get to ?2,500. move up a level...

I know you want to win more.. sa if you double up in a $100 game, you get twice as much if you double up in a $50 game...

But with the BRM, you can bust out so many times that when you start hitting yoru good streak again, you are fine...

Unlike what we usually do.. right I won 20 sessions in a row.. I'll play a $200 game and boo, like that its gone in 2 or 3 days..

Lets try and do it properly for once!

Had the absolute most ridiculous period of poker in my life. Playing 2 tables at once.

First of all I get Kings, lose about 25 quid to a guy hitting flush on river. Very next hand on same table I get KK again. I raise as usual, check my other table and see i have QQ. Card rush! I raise the QQ, and as I do, somehow i stand on the wire of my computer plug and it turns off. By time I get it booted back up I've lost both hands.

I check hand history to find that in my KK hand the flop came K high and a decent pot was won by somebody else. I then look at the QQ hand and I'd have hit QUADS.

I then get sat back in and very first hand I hit third nut flush to nut flush and stack off.

I'm absolutely steaming by this point raise with Q8 spades. Flop top pair and flush draw. Turn flush and bet big to scare off opponent. By time I've bet big I realise that the spades on board are 9sTsJs giving me a straight flush. The guy folded.

I'm on mega super tilt now!

Have uploaded a wee hand history to photobucket. I'm spewing.

http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/nn83/DaveM1874/Poker/?action=view&current=5minutesofhell.jpg

Edited by D-McG

What books would you lot recommend?

I've been through Small Stakes Hold 'Em by Miller and Sklansky and Scott Fishman's book (avoid like the plague). I was figuring I'd read Dan Harrington's books now as they seem to be highly thought of...

Walter Payton
What books would you lot recommend?

I've been through Small Stakes Hold 'Em by Miller and Sklansky and Scott Fishman's book (avoid like the plague). I was figuring I'd read Dan Harrington's books now as they seem to be highly thought of...

It really depends on what level you're at and how detailed you want to think (I know that doesn't really help much!). If you're at the level where you're still thinking about starting hand selection and just starting to think about whether to slowplay big pairs or play them aggresively, you'd probably get bored stiff reading through the books that start examining the Beyesian theory of probability that is setting the current "pushpot" style of play that's crushing the Sit'n Goes. Harrington on Hold Em is always a good start though, or Brunson's Super System.

Harrington on Hold Em is Great for internet poker

Supersystem is a little more for deep stack hold em. But tells you about the other games really well.

I have been watching the "Cash Poker" TV show on http://www.cardplayertube.com/media/1451/Cash_Poker_Season_1_Ep.4_-_Part_4/

It is the most realistic TV poker I have seen. It is obvious that these players are playing with their own money. No-one pulls ridiculous bluffs and you see a lot of players playing good "low-ball" poker where they keep the pot small in spite of the fact that they are reasonably sure they have the best hand.

A good education tool.

Era Macaroons
I have been watching the "Cash Poker" TV show on http://www.cardplayertube.com/media/1451/Cash_Poker_Season_1_Ep.4_-_Part_4/

It is the most realistic TV poker I have seen. It is obvious that these players are playing with their own money. No-one pulls ridiculous bluffs and you see a lot of players playing good "low-ball" poker where they keep the pot small in spite of the fact that they are reasonably sure they have the best hand.

A good education tool.

Cheers for that , was wortha watch

Era Macaroons
Harrington on Hold Em is Great for internet poker

Supersystem is a little more for deep stack hold em. But tells you about the other games really well.

Ive heard folk say that Doyle's Supersystem is a bit dated since he wrote it before the internet boom. (i.e. differant times)

Reading books can skew your own game sometimes.

Walter Payton
Ive heard folk say that Doyle's Supersystem is a bit dated since he wrote it before the internet boom. (i.e. differant times)

Reading books can skew your own game sometimes.

He's written Supersystem 2 since then though...

I wthdrew ?1,700 from Sky, left ?100 into try build up again.

Regret withdrawing it now tbh. Going to be tough to get up that high again.

I'm about to play in the ?4K Bounty Hunter on sky, starts at 9pm.

I've only played 3 tournaments in the last week and a half, I felt so ring rusty in them, anyone else get that when they've not played in a while?

I'll post the results of the BH, although pools panel predicts 0 bounties:)

Still in (24 mins) just, I've halved my starting stack, lost a big hand, I had 6h5h in the BB.

Flop, QJ9 (2 hearts). I bet 150 (pot 120, 4 players) 1 folds, 2 call.

Turn a 6. SB bets 120, I raise to 480, 2 calls.

River, another 6 (trip 6's). SB Checks, I go all-in, 1 fold, SB calls with Q6 (full house).

They(the SB) had less chips than me so I survived.

I have just gone through the blinds and am sitting on 1370 chips after 29 mins.

Playing very averagely IMO.

Out 257th after 39 minutes of play.

J8 in the BB.

flop 79T

I flop a straight, I don't have a clue how to play it:laugh:

I check

turn a 9

I check

River a 6, hoping someone has just an 8 now, I would have the bigger straight, I bet 400, he min-raises, I re-raise all in, he calls.

He has 79, a fullhouse.:mw_rolleyes:

EDIT: I've just entered the 1 min roulette tourney (poker), 60p:laugh:. Very little poker involved, it's all about winning races and finding the weak players. It starts in 12 minutes, I'll be reporting back in 14 minutes :tongue:

(it's funny 'cos it's true:laugh:)

Edited by Statto

I've just entered the 1 min roulette tourney (poker), 60p:laugh:. Very little poker involved, it's all about winning races and finding the weak players. It starts in 12 minutes, I'll be reporting back in 14 minutes :tongue:

(it's funny 'cos it's true:laugh:)

5th of 69, ?2.76:eek:

Easy Easy Easy:laugh:

Era Macaroons
I wthdrew ?1,700 from Sky, left ?100 into try build up again.

Regret withdrawing it now tbh. Going to be tough to get up that high again.

:bravo:

Anytime I've withdrawn, my luck seems to 'change' which i put (rightly or wrongly) at the sites door.....how dare you leave with looty....have some bad beats!!

now watch as you get wiped and have to drip feed several ?100 back in!!!

I would have kept it in....why put yourself back to square one when you could have kept your 'swagger'.

Anyway, great result, well done.:av-1001:

Era Macaroons
I'm about to play in the ?4K Bounty Hunter on sky, starts at 9pm.

I've only played 3 tournaments in the last week and a half, I felt so ring rusty in them, anyone else get that when they've not played in a while?

I'll post the results of the BH, although pools panel predicts 0 bounties:)

I get the rusty feeling too, takes a few to get 'up to speed' again.

Im considering joinin Sky poker next week, (if D McG can win there anyone can :rolleyes:) you've mentioned the ?4k HH....what other large g'teed games do they have on reg basis?

Era Macaroons

And another thing...what is it with 'sponge bob' avatars ???

there seems to be a craze for them....one always pops up on my table!

:spongebob3:

Im considering joinin Sky poker next week, (if D McG can win there anyone can :rolleyes:) you've mentioned the ?4k HH....what other large g'teed games do they have on reg basis?

The tournaments on Sky Poker are awful. If you decided to join then cash games are what makes Sky worthwhile. The blind structures in Sky tournaments turn them into a complete lottery.

I withdrew the money because I was worried about my bank balance getting pretty low and that injection will keep me going for a while.

Turns out I'm going to actually be working as of Monday though so will finally have an income besides poker so I'd have been as well leaving it in! ?1,700 deposit anyone?

Edit, should add that since the withdrawal I have been the most card dead I've ever been. Weird.

Every night they have 2 "velocity" tourney's, ?5.50 to enter, Blinds go up every 4 mins I think. 1 starts at 10pm and has a ?1250 guarentee and the 2nd starts at 11.10pm with ?600 gtd. Both usually go above the guarenteed prize money.

Every week, there is a "Sunday Showdown" 8K gtd, ?17 to enter or you can satellite in.

Thursday has a "Five00" tourney, ?22 to enter with a ?10K prize pool and a maximum of 500 runners. Again, satellites available.

Every night there is a ?1K gtd Bounty Hunter tourney for ?11 and I think there is a ?4K BH either once or twice a week.

They have a few ?400-500 gtd tourneys at around 9-10pm, Blinds go up slower (10 mins) than the Velocity tourneys so if you prefer, this may be a better option.

Era Macaroons
The tournaments on Sky Poker are awful. If you decided to join then cash games are what makes Sky worthwhile. The blind structures in Sky tournaments turn them into a complete lottery.

I withdrew the money because I was worried about my bank balance getting pretty low and that injection will keep me going for a while.

Turns out I'm going to actually be working as of Monday though so will finally have an income besides poker so I'd have been as well leaving it in! ?1,700 deposit anyone?

Edit, should add that since the withdrawal I have been the most card dead I've ever been. Weird.

:laugh: love the edit

Era Macaroons
Every night they have 2 "velocity" tourney's, ?5.50 to enter, Blinds go up every 4 mins I think. 1 starts at 10pm and has a ?1250 guarentee and the 2nd starts at 11.10pm with ?600 gtd. Both usually go above the guarenteed prize money.

Every week, there is a "Sunday Showdown" 8K gtd, ?17 to enter or you can satellite in.

Thursday has a "Five00" tourney, ?22 to enter with a ?10K prize pool and a maximum of 500 runners. Again, satellites available.

Every night there is a ?1K gtd Bounty Hunter tourney for ?11 and I think there is a ?4K BH either once or twice a week.

They have a few ?400-500 gtd tourneys at around 9-10pm, Blinds go up slower (10 mins) than the Velocity tourneys so if you prefer, this may be a better option.

cheers for the info, I expected them to have more 'biggies' than that.

prob give the cash a go as D McG suggests and try the tourneys next five00

On Skypoker, the ?20 + 2 deep stack games are pretty good on Monday and Friday nights.

The main MTTs are a lottery tbh.

I have been playing a lot of the double your money SnGs. Pretty easy to make a steady profit on them as 3 out of the 6 players get paid.

cheers for the info, I expected them to have more 'biggies' than that.

prob give the cash a go as D McG suggests and try the tourneys next five00

They did have a monthly "Primo" tourney, ?25K gtd but that seems to have been replaced with a big bounty hunter at the end of this month, I hope they are bringing it back.

Cash is probally the best way of making money at poker, I'm not good at cash games so I stick to the tourney's.:)

Woot -

Just won a $8 buy in MTT on full tilt with 148 players..

$337.44 to the good..

I love poker again!

wontournement.jpg

Clearly a photoshop effort.

:D

Starting to think you've got a point about being shafted after a withdrawal Era.

Been playing about half hour and have taken beat after beat after beat.

Lost to runner runner flush with AQ v Q8, A high flop.

Then I raise with AK and a guy goes all in with 56 suited. I flop 2 pair, he hits flush.

Then I call a raise with 9T hearts, flop 79T, he bets I put him all in, he calls with J9, river 8.

I then get AA under the gun. Decide to limp for a change. Folds round to BB who checks.

Flop QJ7. He leads out I re-raise he calls. Turn 5. He checks I put in big bet, he calls.

River A. He puts me all in. I call. He turns over KT.

****ing sick/

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
On Skypoker, the ?20 + 2 deep stack games are pretty good on Monday and Friday nights.

The main MTTs are a lottery tbh.

I have been playing a lot of the double your money SnGs. Pretty easy to make a steady profit on them as 3 out of the 6 players get paid.

Same here.

Stuck a fiver in and I'm up to ?35 now through playing these.

Good way to double your money because you usually get at least one terrible player in each game.

It really depends on what level you're at and how detailed you want to think (I know that doesn't really help much!). If you're at the level where you're still thinking about starting hand selection and just starting to think about whether to slowplay big pairs or play them aggresively, you'd probably get bored stiff reading through the books that start examining the Beyesian theory of probability that is setting the current "pushpot" style of play that's crushing the Sit'n Goes. Harrington on Hold Em is always a good start though, or Brunson's Super System.

I've been watching it on TV and playing occasionally for around 5 years but I'm not particularly good so I'm probably better off sticking to the beginner books at the moment.

Harrington and Brunson's book are in my to read pile but I'm not sure what to go for after them and I'm open to any suggestions. If something is too complicated or dry I can always come back to it later when I'm a bit more knowledgeable.

I bust out last night.

Deposited 20 quid to pass my night away earlier.

Quick double up on a 20/40p game and I moved onto 25/50p with my stack.

Been playing absolutely brilliantly with the dregs I've been dealt and managed to get my stack up to ?140. And then I just took absolute f ucking sickener, I literally feel sick right now.

I get dealt TT under the gun. Limp with them. A guy raises to ?2.50, another guy calls, I call.

Flop KT8.

I think I'm in for another big pay off.

Guy bets out, who wasn't original raiser, I call, hoping that the original raiser might squeeze it and I can then put him to the sword. He doesn't - he folds.

Anyway the turn comes down another K. Guy bets out again, I then pump it up pretty big.

River Q.

He shoves for 75 quid.

Can anyone here say they could fold TT, knowing fine well the guy has probably runner runnered his house with KQ. Well I couldn't, I called and seen it. KQ.

?185 pot on 25/50p FFS. the max buy in is 50 and the only other player who could put that much of a dent to me has to come up against me.

Totally dejected.