The poker thread...

The Merse

I bust out last night.

sucks mate.. i know how you feel..

This goes back to the Bankroll management we talked about.

If you were only playing with 1/20th of your roll, you would have just re-loaded and got on with it and tried to win the cash back from the donk.

I lost a big pot yesterday, had JQ suited and the flop came K,10,9 and the Donk bet into me, i raised and he pushed all in. I called and he had K,9 and said.. I knew you had JQ... and i said why call but by then the 9 had come out giving him a full house..

Sucked, but most of the time I will win that pot.. But because I had only a bit of my Roll in the game, I re-loaded and proceded to lose my next buy in to the same guy who called my 6xBB raise out of position with A7 against my Ak and the flop comes A 7 2 and bobs your uncle...

SO reloaded again and slowly managed to grab some of the cash back from him.

BRM FTW

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Merse

• Era Macaroons

• Bigsmak

• Statto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I won about $300 last night, but cannot remeber a bloody thing!!! Three bottles of wine is not conducive (or maybe it is!!!!) to playing well. Cannot remember any of the good wins or beats!!!

Walter Payton

Interested to see what you guys think of a hand that played out during the home game on Friday night...

It's one of the first hands of the night, and there hasn't been any sizable pots played previously so everybody has close to their 15,000 starting stacks and the blinds are still 25,50. UTG is notorious though for hating the slow, early levels of deepstack poker and decides to raise, blind, up to 350 to try and create some action- it certainly works!

Person 1 is sitting in the next seat and decides to reraise, making it 1350 to call. The table folds around to Person 2 on the button, who has A,J suited.

If you were person 2, what would you do?

Interested to see what you guys think of a hand that played out during the home game on Friday night...

It's one of the first hands of the night, and there hasn't been any sizable pots played previously so everybody has close to their 15,000 starting stacks and the blinds are still 25,50. UTG is notorious though for hating the slow, early levels of deepstack poker and decides to raise, blind, up to 350 to try and create some action- it certainly works!

Person 1 is sitting in the next seat and decides to reraise, making it 1350 to call. The table folds around to Person 2 on the button, who has A,J suited.

Fold.

With the blinds so low there are much better spots to invest the chips. I wouldnt be worried about the blind raiser I would be concerned about the reraiser even if he is making a move you dont know if your ace is good if you hit one and would be expensive to find out. I would expect you would have to invest about a third of your stack in a big pot where in most cases you dont know how good your hand is even though it may be the best hand.

Walter Payton
Fold.

With the blinds so low there are much better spots to invest the chips. I wouldnt be worried about the blind raiser I would be concerned about the reraiser even if he is making a move you dont know if your ace is good if you hit one and would be expensive to find out. I would expect you would have to invest about a third of your stack in a big pot where in most cases you dont know how good your hand is even though it may be the best hand.

Cheers for the insight Adam- I'll wait to see if anbody's opinions differ before I tell you how the hand played out (though it doesn't really effect whether the decision was "right" or not!).

Do you think it could be a reasonable argument for the oppposite case to say it was only 10% of the stack and they could fold if the original raiser continued the bet and it was an unfavourable flop?

You've probably already guessed who was playing UTG...

I don't think its even a decision tbh. Insta-fold.

AJ to a raise is dodgy enough, AJ to a raise and a re-raise is a fold.

Fair enough there was a blind raiser, but if you are wrong and the re-raiser isn't just squeezing it then its an expensive mistake. And a call, well you'll never know where your at with a call.

Era Macaroons

I'll probably have a differant answer for you every time!...but I'd call.....

I'd reckon Person one was trying to pick up blind guys bet and push the rest of you out with his large raise. If he had anything amazing then surley he would just call and keep blind guy in the pot and maybe get one or two other callers involved, with a view to betting quite big on the flop.

even if it doesnt work out, you can still get away with only losing 10% of your stack.

I'll probably have a differant answer for you every time!...but I'd call.....

I'd reckon Person one was trying to pick up blind guys bet and push the rest of you out with his large raise. If he had anything amazing then surley he would just call and keep blind guy in the pot and maybe get one or two other callers involved, with a view to betting quite big on the flop.

even if it doesnt work out, you can still get away with only losing 10% of your stack.

Crazy to squeeze a blind raise from 2nd position though. AJ is absolute trash.

Actually on the worst luck run for a long time.

Constant.

Last night I was card dead the entire night. I picked up QQ and KK once, and both times somebody else had AA.

I've had AA twice today, bust by K6 and A5.

Becoming beyond ridiculous.

Walter Payton
Crazy to squeeze a blind raise from 2nd position though. AJ is absolute trash.

The straddle's such a crazy move anyway though, I wouldn't mind being first to act afterwards - the "blinds" are suddenly worth a whole lot more and if you reraise the standard amount with any two cards, 95% of the time nobody will have a big enough hand to call your raise if they're only going to play with Aces,Kings or Jacks.

Agree with CC. We have a malaysian guy here (spoke about the ******* before) and he straddles nearly every time. I usually try and get next to him now. Nine times out of ten he then tries to defend it with crap so he is usually good for a few bucks during the night!!!!

The straddle's such a crazy move anyway though, I wouldn't mind being first to act afterwards - the "blinds" are suddenly worth a whole lot more and if you reraise the standard amount with any two cards, 95% of the time nobody will have a big enough hand to call your raise if they're only going to play with Aces,Kings or Jacks.

Strictly speaking this isnt a straddle. The whole point of the straddle apart from inducing more action at a cash game is to get the option of acting last after the BB before the flop. But here the guy just raised blind so hasnt got that option.

Though i'd agree with everyone else, You've got to throw your AJ away to the guy re-raising. You dont want to be putting that much in the middle in the first couple of levels with just an AJ.

I'd be folding the AJ, its a decent hand but not worth investing so much with, especially so early. Im sure the second raiser is isolating lighter but I still wouldnt be suprised to see Jacks or AK etc here anyway. Too many hands that have you crushed will be in this guys re-raising range

Walter Payton

Good to see the different approaches out there...

The pot ended up being huge. After person 2 called on the button, the big blind and UTG also decided to come along (the pot was over 5000). Flop comes K,Q,10 with 2 clubs.... Initial raiser shoves (which I think could be another debating point!) and A,J (who has obviously flopped the straight) calls. BB and UTG fold and the initial raiser turns over K,K for top set. Unfortunately for them, the board doesn't pair and person 2 takes a massive pot of over 30,000 chips.

Era Macaroons
Good to see the different approaches out there...

The pot ended up being huge. After person 2 called on the button, the big blind and UTG also decided to come along (the pot was over 5000). Flop comes K,Q,10 with 2 clubs.... Initial raiser shoves (which I think could be another debating point!) and A,J (who has obviously flopped the straight) calls. BB and UTG fold and the initial raiser turns over K,K for top set. Unfortunately for them, the board doesn't pair and person 2 takes a massive pot of over 30,000 chips.

well there you go, ;)great play by person 2

the rest of you are too weak.:tongue:

Era Macaroons
Starting to think you've got a point about being shafted after a withdrawal Era.

****ing sick/

at least its not just me that has this feeling, quite a few bad beats in there.

Fixed Limit

anyone play this? tried it last night and its pretty mad...check and your dead!

I hate Limit holdem with a passion. I don't mind the odd game of stud, But it has to be pot limit omaha or NLHE for me. And whenever ive played HORSE it seems to be that Razz is my best limit game, which is strange as its the one game ive never played outside horse.

Ive always thought that it must be so much easier to become profitable online playing in the lower limits of omaha or stud cas games, than it is in no limit holdem, as there are bound to be less "experts" and quite a few people like myself who only sit down and play the odd game to get away from holdem for a bit who can be exploited. But ive never had the time or the bankroll to give it a serious shot.

And i'll never be a succesful player as despite knowing all about bankroll management ive never had the discipline to stick to it. Nor do I have the discipline to play my best poker for weeks on end, I can do well for several days then once again the good discipline, the strategy and desicion making goes out the window. I start doing that thing where you say..he's got this hand and im beat...and then call anyway.:eek:

Era Macaroons
I hate Limit holdem with a passion. I don't mind the odd game of stud, But it has to be pot limit omaha or NLHE for me. And whenever ive played HORSE it seems to be that Razz is my best limit game, which is strange as its the one game ive never played outside horse.

Ive always thought that it must be so much easier to become profitable online playing in the lower limits of omaha or stud cas games, than it is in no limit holdem, as there are bound to be less "experts" and quite a few people like myself who only sit down and play the odd game to get away from holdem for a bit who can be exploited. But ive never had the time or the bankroll to give it a serious shot.

And i'll never be a succesful player as despite knowing all about bankroll management ive never had the discipline to stick to it. Nor do I have the discipline to play my best poker for weeks on end, I can do well for several days then once again the good discipline, the strategy and desicion making goes out the window. I start doing that thing where you say..he's got this hand and im beat...and then call anyway.:eek:

So do I now! (hate FL), I got burned!

I was toying with the idea of the other games but not anymore, I dont really want to go through the learning process again.

I have bankroll issues much the same as yourself....I simply dont get a buzz playing poker when adhering to bankroll 'law' .

Yea,

found out that Monday had the ?30 add-on / rebuy when I got there.

I'm going tonight.. bro is as well.. Should be fun...

Edinburgh Circus New Schedule from February 9th

MONDAY

?30 NL HOLD EM,

1 TOP UP OR RE-BUY ALLOWED 4,000PTS

4,000PTS STARTING STACK

EARLY BIRD BONUS OF 1500 CHIPS

BLINDS INCREASE EVERY 30 MINS (3 LEVELS) THEN EVERY 25 MINS

LATE REGISTRATION AVAILABLE UNTIL 9:30PM

SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY

TUESDAY

?5 NL HOLDEM REBUY

2 HR RE-BUY PERIOD (PLUS LAST 3 HANDS)

500PT STARTING STACK

BLINDS INCREASE EVERY 60 MINS (2 LEVELS) THEN EVERY 25 MINS

ADD-ONS ALLOWED (DOUBLE CHIPS)

BLINDS INCREASE EVERY 25 MINS AFTER THE REBUY

LATE REGISTRATION AVAILABLE UNTIL 9PM

SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY

WEDNESDAY

?20 NL DOUBLE CHANCE

1 TOP UP OR RE-BUY ALLOWED 4,000PTS

4,000PTS IN TOTAL (INITIAL ALLOCATION OF 2,000PTS)

ALL CHIPS WILL BE ALLOCATED AT END OF LEVEL 3

SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY

THURSDAY

?10 NL HOLD EM DEEP STACK REBUY

90 MIN RE-BUY PERIOD (2 LEVELS, PLUS LAST 3 HANDS)

1500PT STARTING STACK

BLINDS INCREASE EVERY 45 MINS (2 LEVELS) THEN EVERY 25 MINS

BLINDS INCREASE EVERY 25 MINS AFTER THE REBUY PERIOD

LATE REGISTRATION AVAILABLE UNTIL 8.45PM

SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY

FRIDAY

?10 NL HOLD EM RE-BUY

90 MIN RE-BUY PERIOD (PLUS LAST 3 HANDS)

1000PT STARTING STACK

BLINDS INCREASE EVERY 45 MINS (2 LEVELS) THEN EVERY 25 MINS

BLINDS INCREASE EVERY 25 MINS AFTER THE REBUY PERIOD

LATE REGISTRATION AVAILABLE UNTIL 8.45PM

SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY

SATURDAY

?30 NL DOUBLE CHANCE FREEZEOUT

4,000PTS IN TOTAL (INITIAL ALLOCATION OF 2,000PTS)

ALL CHIPS WILL BE ALLOCATED AT END OF LEVEL 3

SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY

SUNDAY 4PM START

?20 NL HOLD-EM

4,000PTS STARTING STACK

1 TOP UP OR RE-BUY ALLOWED 6,000PTS

BLINDS INCREASE EVERY 60 MINS (2 LEVELS)THEN EVERY 25 MINS

LATE REGISTRATION AVAILABLE UNTIL 5PM

SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY

For all tournaments Monday to Saturday

REGISTRATION OPENS AT 6.45PM

REGISTRATION CLOSES AT 7.45PM

Sunday

REGISTRATION OPENS AT 2.45PM

REGISTRATION CLOSES AT 3.45PM

[/b]

PROGRESSIVE JACKPOT AVAILABLE ON ALL TOURNAMENTS WITH THE EXCEPTION OF TUESDAY.[/center]

PLEASE NOTE

THERE WILL BE A FEW SUNDAY'S WHERE WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO HOLD THE SCHEDULED TOURNAMENTS DUE TO COMMITMENTS FOR THE NUTS POKER LEAGUE FINAL. THESE DATES WILL BE ADVERTISED WELL IN ADVANCE.

Came 2nd last night, 440 to the good.

I have never seen one man get so much luck in all my life as I did with a guy who was playing last night, he was absolute steaming and just playing any two cards. He called a boys raise all-in (he had kings) with 8 2 diamonds, hits his flush. Called 2 all-ins (pocket tens and kings) with J 2 of hearts and hits his straight on the river with the last ten in the deck. There was countless other ones. He went to the final table with over 200,000 chips. Thankfully when we got to the final table I had the perfect seat as he was sitting right beside me on my right handside, so when it was folded round to me and him in the blinds I managed to double myself up off him a couple of times.

Came 2nd last night, 440 to the good.

I have never seen one man get so much luck in all my life as I did with a guy who was playing last night, he was absolute steaming and just playing any two cards. He called a boys raise all-in (he had kings) with 8 2 diamonds, hits his flush. Called 2 all-ins (pocket tens and kings) with J 2 of hearts and hits his straight on the river with the last ten in the deck. There was countless other ones. He went to the final table with over 200,000 chips. Thankfully when we got to the final table I had the perfect seat as he was sitting right beside me on my right handside, so when it was folded round to me and him in the blinds I managed to double myself up off him a couple of times.

mmmm I left very early and it was to this guy I think. Steaming, saying that you "had to gamble" if you play poker..

He raised my BB to 1000 when its 25/50 and I had AA, I re-raised to 3500 and he calles. Flop is 10,J,3 .. I push all in and he calls with 8 9 off suit..

and hits... took all my chips and went on his jammy run. Still raging!

How can you call that raise with 8 9 off??????? for his tourney?

grrrr

I'm in the Five00 on sky tonight in about 10 minutes, I qualified this evening and the poker is starting to come back to me, a solid display, feeling good about the game again, I'll try and stick to the basics early on and see if I can reach the first break and re-assess my situation then. :)

mmmm I left very early and it was to this guy I think. Steaming, saying that you "had to gamble" if you play poker..

He raised my BB to 1000 when its 25/50 and I had AA, I re-raised to 3500 and he calles. Flop is 10,J,3 .. I push all in and he calls with 8 9 off suit..

and hits... took all my chips and went on his jammy run. Still raging!

How can you call that raise with 8 9 off??????? for his tourney?

grrrr

Good play imo.

:D

I'm in the Five00 on sky tonight in about 10 minutes, I qualified this evening and the poker is starting to come back to me, a solid display, feeling good about the game again, I'll try and stick to the basics early on and see if I can reach the first break and re-assess my situation then. :)

Didn't follow my own words and I am out after 25 minutes, lost 1,000 chips (3,000 starting stack) with pocket 6's, I lost another one, I called an all in with AQ (I had 700 chips left), he had an under pair which held up and my final hand, blinds 100/200, I had a stack of 900, someone raised to 800, everyone folded, I re-raised 100 all in with 99, he called with JJ.

I always have a look at this thread to see how you guys have been getting on.

I have been playing online with Ladbrooks for about a year although I have only played for fun, usually in the sit n goes. I have won a few tournaments over the year, I think the biggest was about $300 so it's all pretty low stakes. I now think I am ready to start playing a little bit more seriously so I am going to try and build up a bit of a bank roll playing in the no-limit games.

Last night I qualified for the $150,000 tournament on Sunday so I am looking forward to testing myself in that.

Era Macaroons
I always have a look at this thread to see how you guys have been getting on.

I have been playing online with Ladbrooks for about a year although I have only played for fun, usually in the sit n goes. I have won a few tournaments over the year, I think the biggest was about $300 so it's all pretty low stakes. I now think I am ready to start playing a little bit more seriously so I am going to try and build up a bit of a bank roll playing in the no-limit games.

Last night I qualified for the $150,000 tournament on Sunday so I am looking forward to testing myself in that.

Howdy....be sure to ignore all the comments on here and you'll stand a decent chance of winning!! :laugh:

Good luck on your sunday tourney....post your 'story'

Era Macaroons
I have already got my strategy for Sunday after reading this thread !

Get steaming and go all in with crap hands :)

youve sussed it already..I predict youll make the money!

Howdy....be sure to ignore all the comments on here and you'll stand a decent chance of winning!! :laugh:

Good luck on your sunday tourney....post your 'story'

Pffft.

Listen to my comments and he'll go far.

Managed to build my 20 quid dep last week up to 400 again. Mon the bankroll!

Good luck on Sunday Scally!

just opened up a pokerstars account after 3 years of playing on full tilt. Quite like the sound of these double your money sit and go's, think it sounds like a good way to be profitable. Well I suppose i'll find out.

well done era, quality win that.

Ive just done a $3 rebuy into a big tourney on sunday on pokerstars..there where 54 players. top 2 qualify and 3rd gets $209..nothing for anyone else...i finished 4th:mad:

Back to the double or nothing sit and gos i go. They seem pretty good so far, played 6 and won 5, but im sure theres a bad run of luck or a bad or im going to get bored and play like a donk, just around the corner.

just took down the ?1500 will hill NTX special...1st prize ?450 :D

Well done!

Thats not how my Will Hill software looks though! What the hell is that your on?

Era Macaroons
Well done!

Thats not how my Will Hill software looks though! What the hell is that your on?

as discussed in boozer...im actually INTERPOKER...but they use the same site as will hill, and its norm easier to just say will hill

Era Macaroons
well done era, quality win that.

Ive just done a $3 rebuy into a big tourney on sunday on pokerstars..there where 54 players. top 2 qualify and 3rd gets $209..nothing for anyone else...i finished 4th:mad:

Back to the double or nothing sit and gos i go. They seem pretty good so far, played 6 and won 5, but im sure theres a bad run of luck or a bad or im going to get bored and play like a donk, just around the corner.

ty

its a long day playing the double or nothings ...but if u win em good stuff.

do u not play 3 or 4 at a time if thats your brew?

Era Macaroons
Join Photobucket upload the screenshot to there. Link to it here!

Easy

will try this...if Ive not pressed 'print screen' since it happened will it still 'be there' ?

Nice work Era..

tell us a bit about your style and how many hands you got seriously involved in etc.

The times I have done well in tournies has been when I got away from a couple of monsters pre-flop and made the most of a relatively small number of big hands. Then using my tight image for a few steals when the blinds were big.

Era Macaroons
Nice work Era..

tell us a bit about your style and how many hands you got seriously involved in etc.

The times I have done well in tournies has been when I got away from a couple of monsters pre-flop and made the most of a relatively small number of big hands. Then using my tight image for a few steals when the blinds were big.

ty

seriously involved in EVERY hand including when i fold,fish like fek till i get ahead,then use chips well,get to latter stages without showdowns....bet your way to final table...add in some skill,luck,bluffs n its a piece o pi$$

dont just focus on your own cards,play the board, play the player

and patience

in fact i dont know why i dont win every tourney i go in for:rolleyes:

Just on to post a moan.... i hate poker stars!!!!! 2 hours in to the $4.40 180 player, sitting bout 10th get AA so the guy next to me raise's for $900 so i go all in since i have the dogs bollock's he has 44..

the flop

978 great

the turn

k still on

the Feckin river!!!!!!! yeah a bloody 4 i'm sick of poker stars favouring the high stack chip player its rubbish!

ty

its a long day playing the double or nothings ...but if u win em good stuff.

do u not play 3 or 4 at a time if thats your brew?

Double your money SNG's drain the life out of me. Absolutely no play in them whatsoever. Seriously make me want to give up poker, do not have the patience for them. Folk desperately trying to hold on for a place then everyone is in when the blind start cranking up.

Double your money SNG's drain the life out of me. Absolutely no play in them whatsoever. Seriously make me want to give up poker, do not have the patience for them. Folk desperately trying to hold on for a place then everyone is in when the blind start cranking up.

Your spot on. If you need to spend a day or two slowly adding to your bankroll then there pretty simple, but they are the most boring games ever invented. Im finished with them for the time being. I really only seem to get excited and have fun playing live or playing online tournaments these days. It must be the lure of the big payouts.

Im going to play different types of tournies and satellites to bigger tourneys, and when my bankroll falls below a certain level, i'll revert back to the doubles or nothings.

Edited by scotty2442

Just on to post a moan.... i hate poker stars!!!!! 2 hours in to the $4.40 180 player, sitting bout 10th get AA so the guy next to me raise's for $900 so i go all in since i have the dogs bollock's he has 44..

the flop

978 great

the turn

k still on

the Feckin river!!!!!!! yeah a bloody 4 i'm sick of poker stars favouring the high stack chip player its rubbish!

I use to play full tilt and everyone on there use to complain about the same thing. Don't really think theres any truth in it myself, why would they?