Things you've always wondered about but couldn't be bothered to find out

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

John Gentleman
On 24/11/2020 at 02:09, graygo said:

That's certainly been the case in the past but now we have photos and videos available it might last a bit longer.

That's if anyone can be bothered looking at them. 

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• redjambo

• FWJ

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

John Gentleman

Why is a postage stamp called a stamp when it clearly isn't?

I get it that in the early days an item of postage was indeed 'stamped' by a postal clerk, but along came the 'franking' machine and we didn't change the name to 'postage frank' back then. Why just not call it for what it is – a postage sticker?

And while I'm at it, why do some items of postage paraphernalia have self-adhesive applied ('stamps'), but others not (air mail 'stickers', customs declarations etc)?

Edited by John Gentleman

9 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

Why is a postage stamp called a stamp when it clearly isn't?

I get it that in the early days an item of postage was indeed 'stamped' by a postal clerk, but along came the 'franking' machine and we didn't change the name to 'postage frank' back then. Why just not call it for what it is – a postage sticker?

And while I'm at it, why do some items of postage paraphernalia have self-adhesive applied ('stamps'), but others not (air mail 'stickers', customs declarations etc)?

"Postage stamps have facilitated the delivery of mail since the 1840s. Before then, ink and hand-stamps (hence the word 'stamp'), usually made from wood or cork, were often used to frank the mail and confirm the payment of postage."

23 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Why do the Argentinian football team wear vertical stripes and the rugby team horizontal? 

I believe horizontal stripes make you look bulkier so in the case of rugby players possibly more intimidating.

Vertical stripes have the opposite effect so players may look taller or slimmer.

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

Why do the Argentinian football team wear vertical stripes and the rugby team horizontal? 

I don't know if it's true but, I read somewhere that at one time there was an agreement that all rugby teams had horizontal stripes and football teams vertical. 

11 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

I don't know if it's true but, I read somewhere that at one time there was an agreement that all rugby teams had horizontal stripes and football teams vertical. 

The closest theory I could come up with was that the rugby types might be more respectful of the flag and want the colours running the correct way. 

Another language related one.

Rectangles are rectangular.

Triangles are triangular.

Octagons are Octangular.

Squares are just squares???

Why? 

Edited by Vlad Magic

1 minute ago, Vlad Magic said:

Octagons are Octagonal.

Why? 

I would assume it is because a square is a specific type of rectangle

18 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

I would assume it is because a square is a specific type of rectangle

Not sure about that?

Rectangles are specifically rectangular in the same way squares are specifically squares?

A square is also a rhombus. Does that have anything to do with it?

A rhombus being a 4 sided shape of equal length sides?

40 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Octagons are Octangular.

Why? 

I think because your first 3 examples describe the nature of the angles so you use the adjective angular. The equivalent for square isn’t squares but quadrangular. Square being derived from quadra. If that makes sense!

43 minutes ago, flogel41 said:

I think because your first 3 examples describe the nature of the angles so you use the adjective angular. The equivalent for square isn’t squares but quadrangular. Square being derived from quadra. If that makes sense!

That’s a fine answer 👍

3 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Octagons are Octangular.

Why? 

I would say octagons are octagonal.

A Boy Named Crow
5 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Octagons are Octangular.

Why? 

Squares in reference to the examples above, aren't squares, they are square...which it is hip to be. 

A Boy Named Crow

In Excel,  if you copy a cell from a filtered worksheet, then clear the filter to paste the copied cell into a previously filtered cell, it forgets that you have copied anything and doesn't allow you to paste. 

Why is that? It seems unnecessarily aggravating. 

4 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

In Excel,  if you copy a cell from a filtered worksheet, then clear the filter to paste the copied cell into a previously filtered cell, it forgets that you have copied anything and doesn't allow you to paste. 

That is something that really.annoys me as well. And excel seems to be the only part of office that forgets what was copied.

5 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

would imagine it’s because filtering or Unfiltering is seen as a calculation by excel so priorities memory for calculation

Edited by Ribble

5 minutes ago, Ribble said:

would imagine it’s because filtering or Unfiltering is seen as a calculation by excel so priorities memory for calculation

It happens for me for all excel cells it does not matter if it has been filtered or not. It is really annoying if I am copying something and have to say delete data in a cell, I need to go back and copy it again

A Boy Named Crow
8 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

It happens for me for all excel cells it does not matter if it has been filtered or not. It is really annoying if I am copying something and have to say delete data in a cell, I need to go back and copy it again

Could you fix this by setting calculations to manual, rather than automatic? That way or wouldn't recalculate every time you change something. 

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

1 hour ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Could you fix this by setting calculations to manual, rather than automatic? That way or wouldn't recalculate every time you change something. 

Just tested and yes, reverting to manual calculation means that you can remove a filter and the filtered copied data remains on the clipboard

1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

Deleting data is seen as a calculation so excel will clear the clipboard

A Boy Named Crow
33 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Just tested and yes, reverting to manual calculation means that you can remove a filter and the filtered copied data remains on the clipboard

Deleting data is seen as a calculation so excel will clear the clipboard

See now I'm intrigued,  I almost always have manual calcs on, yet this is still a problem with the filters.  Tomorrow morning I'll try it out 

Why there was a North Berwick. Then I found out Berwick was known as South Berwick when it was part of Scotland. 

I love knowledge. 

A Boy Named Crow

You know when folk say the royal family brings in £Xm to the UK economy through tourism each year,  how is that calculated?

Do they assume every foreigner who visited windsor castle etc only came here to do that? How do they know they wouldn't have come anyway, to visit the cabinet war rooms, or climb a munro?

I've got nae idea, anybody?

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

9 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

You know when folk say the royal family brings in £Xm to the UK economy through tourism each year,  how is that calculated?

Do they assume every foreigner who visited windsor castle etc only came here to do that? How do they know they wouldn't have come anyway, to visit the cabinet war rooms, or climb a munro?

I've got nae idea, anybody?

If we abandoned the monarchy tomorrow, folk would still visit the castles and stuff. Germany hasn't had royalty for decades yet folk still visit the palaces etc. 

15 minutes ago, Norm said:

If we abandoned the monarchy tomorrow, folk would still visit the castles and stuff. Germany hasn't had royalty for decades yet folk still visit the palaces etc. 

Aye, folk go to visit the pyramids and there hasn't been a pharaoh for thousands of years. Maybe we should put them in storage to see how we get on? 

A Boy Named Crow
24 minutes ago, Norm said:

You never know,  maybe all over the world people are having conversations like this...

Where would you like to go on holiday this year,  France or Britain?

Tough choice dear,  so much to do and see in both,  but you know what, the presence of a hereditary monarchy in Blighty really swings it for me, book the flights!

People don’t visit Britain for its beaches or its skiing.  They certainly don’t visit for good sunny days and sunbathing.  They don’t visit for its food and wine (UK food still has a very poor reputation - undeserved).  Do they visit for the scenery? Maybe the Highlands.

They visit for our history and heritage. I get what you’re saying about Versailles and Neuschwanstein etc but I reckon having an active monarchy adds a wee bit to the whole heritage-y thing.  The Americans & French are obsessed with our royal family in particular.

I wonder who’d come to visit President Farage?

1 minute ago, FWJ said:

People don’t visit Britain for its beaches or its skiing.  They certainly don’t visit for good sunny days and sunbathing.  They don’t visit for its food and wine (UK food still has a very poor reputation - undeserved).  Do they visit for the scenery? Maybe the Highlands.

They visit for our history and heritage. I get what you’re saying about Versailles and Neuschwanstein etc but I reckon having an active monarchy adds a wee bit to the whole heritage-y thing.  The Americans & French are obsessed with our royal family in particular.

The sales of milkshake and eggs would skyrocket. 

Салатные палочки

I wonder if someone could shine a light on this one. 

Our neighbour, a forty year old ned, drives a modified Vauxhall Corsa. I have noticed a small square of what looks black plastic or waterproof material hanging out the driver door. Before this it was what looked like a white document with a black square on it, wrapped in plastic hanging out. I seen him this morning getting in the car and taking the piece of plastic out and shaking the rain water off it and putting it in his glove box.

It is really annoying me what it is. I cant seem to find anything online. Is it some secret boy-racer thing? 

1 hour ago, Salad Fingers said:

Our neighbour, a forty year old ned, drives a modified Vauxhall Corsa. I have noticed a small square of what looks black plastic or waterproof material hanging out the driver door. Before this it was what looked like a white document with a black square on it, wrapped in plastic hanging out. I seen him this morning getting in the car and taking the piece of plastic out and shaking the rain water off it and putting it in his glove box.

It is really annoying me what it is. I cant seem to find anything online. Is it some secret boy-racer thing? 

Sounds less like a boy racer thing and more of an open invite to chap the door and have a go at his mrs type thing

3 hours ago, FWJ said:

Our history and heritage wouldn't disappear though. People come to see buildings and things, they would still be there, as would our history. Plus we'd be able to actually generate proper income from them once the squatters are out. 

Not a dig at you, but "Americans are into them" isn't a very strong justification for keeping a monarchy IMO .

1 hour ago, Salad Fingers said:

Ribble's partly right. It's secret signals doggers use.  White with a black square - him and his missus want to shag you.  Plain black- it's just him.

Салатные палочки
1 hour ago, Ribble said:

Sounds less like a boy racer thing and more of an open invite to chap the door and have a go at his mrs type thing

56 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Ribble's partly right. It's secret signals doggers use.  White with a black square - him and his missus want to shag you.  Plain black- it's just him.

:laugh2: GTF!! 

Well good luck to him with that as he never leaves the house. Think he's got a lot of people after him. And not for that :laugh2:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not an always wondered, but just done an online calculation to see if its worth going overdrawn for a month and with my bank it costs more to go overdrawn with an arranged overdraft than if you have notging arranged.

Other than the banks making lots of money, why is that?

JudyJudyJudy

Oh here’s one . When watchin old films maybe set in medieval times or later centuries why do the churches / buildings always look old ? When they have probably just been built ????!! It’s a Stoner thought really 😂😂

Lone Striker

Always been curious about stuff that comes up on the credits at the end of films.  What the hell does a Best Boy do ?   

And if there's several folk doing the job, how do they decide  the Best one ?

And what is a  Dolly Grip ?

22 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Always been curious about stuff that comes up on the credits at the end of films.  What the hell does a Best Boy do ?   

And if there's several folk doing the job, how do they decide  the Best one ?

And what is a  Dolly Grip ?

Best boy is someone who is the main assistant to someone who is in charge of a particular element of the set. Grips look after the various things needed for cameras. So a dolly grip looks after the dolly that cameras can be mounted on, a dolly being a wheeled camera mount that moves on rails. The gaffer is in charge of lighting equipment. So a best boy can be on any of those elements working as number 2 to someone. 

Lone Striker
12 hours ago, Tazio said:

Best boy is someone who is the main assistant to someone who is in charge of a particular element of the set. Grips look after the various things needed for cameras. So a dolly grip looks after the dolly that cameras can be mounted on, a dolly being a wheeled camera mount that moves on rails. The gaffer is in charge of lighting equipment. So a best boy can be on any of those elements working as number 2 to someone. 

Thanks for the explanations there, Taz.   Best "boy" ....... a bit sexist (and possibly ageist) in this day and age, though.  Any evidence of ladies being credited as Best Boy ?

1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

Thanks for the explanations there, Taz.   Best "boy" ....... a bit sexist (and possibly ageist) in this day and age, though.  Any evidence of ladies being credited as Best Boy ?

Best Girl is also used nowadays. 

2 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

If we're going down the sexist route, you should probably avoid "ladies" :whistling:

Lone Striker
1 hour ago, Alex said:

If we're going down the sexist route, you should probably avoid "ladies" :whistling:

:arry:      Sometimes, you just can't win for losing these days.    🙄  

Samuel Camazzola

Regarding benches that are put in places like public parks/woodlands etc... With the ones that are in memory of a loved one, is it just the process of contacting a local council to seek approval or do folk have to register an interest and be added to a list?

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Regarding benches that are put in places like public parks/woodlands etc... With the ones that are in memory of a loved one, is it just the process of contacting a local council to seek approval or do folk have to register an interest and be added to a list?

https://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/parks-greenspaces/presentation-seats-tree-donation

When TOTP was on, what did the audience here when a band were miming to the song. More specifically regarding the drumming.

Guitars and keyboards can be silenced but not drums so did the people who were in the TOTP audience here both the song and a drummer hammering away on his kit.

See below and Clem Burke crashing about to Dreaming.

41 minutes ago, JWL said:

When TOTP was on, what did the audience here when a band were miming to the song. More specifically regarding the drumming.

Guitars and keyboards can be silenced but not drums so did the people who were in the TOTP audience here both the song and a drummer hammering away on his kit.

See below and Clem Burke crashing about to Dreaming.

I know that drum pads were used a lot of the time, felt pads that sat on the drum skins to deaden the sound. People also used to claim the cymbals weren’t real but on that clip they look very real to me. If they wanted the playback to drown out the kit it would have to have been seriously loud. Incidentally what a great drummer he was. He was with Eurythmics for a long time as well. 
Another bugbear was the way the TV sound guys always gave singers the wrong type of microphone. That’s an AKG451 that wouldn’t be used for live vocals but used as a mic for over a drum kit.