Things you've always wondered about but couldn't be bothered to find out

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Konrad von Carstein

Chicken wings....Why can't you get packs of free range/organic wings...and have to rely on the red tractor stuff in supermarkets, but you can get legs & thighs?

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• redjambo

• FWJ

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Locky said:

Question for American based JKB'ers. What's the script with income tax in America?

I work for HMRC and had someone on the phone a while back who had just moved from USA, and was asking if they need to do their own taxes here as well. It totally threw me, and it was only after, when I spoke to colleagues that they told me apparently even ordinary workers in the US have to do their own tax returns every month.

Just had a conversation about this with my girlfriend and looked it up a bit. According to some sites, that's not quite true. So, can anyone who's lived stateside shed light? Did you have to do your own taxes?

Every month? No, generally for the common worker you only have to be concerned with it before April 15th of each year when income taxes are due. Unless you work for yourself, your taxes on each paycheck are taken care of by the employer and you get a report of what was paid out on the pay stub. For most everyone, you just get sent a form in the post at the beginning of the year that outlines what you paid in taxes and you then file your taxes or take it to someone to be filed for you.

Riddley Walker
1 hour ago, Locky said:

Question for American based JKB'ers. What's the script with income tax in America?

I work for HMRC and had someone on the phone a while back who had just moved from USA, and was asking if they need to do their own taxes here as well. It totally threw me, and it was only after, when I spoke to colleagues that they told me apparently even ordinary workers in the US have to do their own tax returns every month.

Just had a conversation about this with my girlfriend and looked it up a bit. According to some sites, that's not quite true. So, can anyone who's lived stateside shed light? Did you have to do your own taxes?

12 minutes ago, Dorothy said:

Every month? No, generally for the common worker you only have to be concerned with it before April 15th of each year when income taxes are due. Unless you work for yourself, your taxes on each paycheck are taken care of by the employer and you get a report of what was paid out on the pay stub. For most everyone, you just get sent a form in the post at the beginning of the year that outlines what you paid in taxes and you then file your taxes or take it to someone to be filed for you.

I think Locky is referring to tax paid by US citizens living abroad, if I'm not mistaken.

From what I can tell from my other half's comments, who used to work in tax for a company that did US citizens taxes in the UK, is that all US citizens living abroad need to file tax returns to the US govt, even if they're paying tax here and don't necessarily owe tax to the US.

Just now, Auldbenches said:

How come pork is the cheapest meat but you never see it used in pet food?  Is pork bad for cats and dogs? 

Can be high in salt content, I'd not feed anything pork related to my dogs.

38 minutes ago, Dorothy said:

Ah, so basically just the same system as here? Seems I've been misinformed. I was wondering how I'd made it to 25 years old before finding that out. :lol: 

18 minutes ago, Riddley Walker said:

I think Locky is referring to tax paid by US citizens living abroad, if I'm not mistaken.

From what I can tell from my other half's comments, who used to work in tax for a company that did US citizens taxes in the UK, is that all US citizens living abroad need to file tax returns to the US govt, even if they're paying tax here and don't necessarily owe tax to the US.

Yeah, I'm wondering if that's what the lady I spoke to meant. It was a strange conversation because I had no idea what she was on about, but she couldn't really use much in the way of examples to truly get her point across.

Funny you mention that though, as my GF in her job was speaking to a lady who used to live in Colorado just today, and she was saying that as she had taken up US citizenship, she had to submit tax returns to the IRS too, even though she lives in the UK.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 hour ago, Dorothy said:

47 minutes ago, Riddley Walker said:

26 minutes ago, Locky said:

Ah, so basically just the same system as here? Seems I've been misinformed. I was wondering how I'd made it to 25 years old before finding that out. :lol: 

Yeah, I'm wondering if that's what the lady I spoke to meant. It was a strange conversation because I had no idea what she was on about, but she couldn't really use much in the way of examples to truly get her point across.

Funny you mention that though, as my GF in her job was speaking to a lady who used to live in Colorado just today, and she was saying that as she had taken up US citizenship, she had to submit tax returns to the IRS too, even though she lives in the UK.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/2021/02/07/renouncing-american-citizenship-hits-all-time-record/?sh=18da8eac5127

They've never contacted me (it's been going on for years). I'd refuse, if they asked me to pay tax, as I left the US at 10 months old.

Edit, I think FATCA is also why Boris Johnson renounced his US citizenship.

Edited by Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

• 2 weeks later...
A Boy Named Crow

How did the association between bagpipes and police funerals in the US come about?

*Suplimentary wondering*

How can we stop them doing it?

2 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

How did the association between bagpipes and police funerals in the US come about?

*Suplimentary wondering*

How can we stop them doing it?

Pure speculation on my part, but I think that originated in Boston where a high percentage of the police identified themselves as Irish.  So the bagpipes in question were Irish pipes.

For the record, Irish pipes are crap compared to the Scottish pipes.

2 hours ago, been here before said:

Say you're cycling 10mph into a 20mp headwind.

How do you manage to get to your destination?

They make up the time by not stopping at red lights.

2 hours ago, been here before said:

Say you're cycling 10mph into a 20mp headwind.

How do you manage to get to your destination?

Air resistance would cut your speed by around half, though adopting a head down position cansave you a couple of mph.

If you're in cycle lane with lots of potholes, your speed will be reduced greatly. Thankfully that is quite rare.

Abbreviated first names.    William shorted to Will or Willie is logical - but who/why/when did it become Bill ?

Similarly Robert - logical to shorten it to Rob or Robbie - but why would someone replace the R with a B ?    Why not replace it with (say).... J  :whistling:

Similarly Richard - Rich or Richie or Rick ok .... but Dick ?   😲

Then there's the  situation when a Sarah starts getting called Sally.   Eh ?      Even more bizarre is  why some Margarets become known as Pearl.   

I can see why John evolved to Ian (via Juan/Jean in other languages) .... but the above stuff is weird.

31 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Abbreviated first names.    William shorted to Will or Willie is logical - but who/why/when did it become Bill ?

Similarly Robert - logical to shorten it to Rob or Robbie - but why would someone replace the R with a B ?    Why not replace it with (say).... J  :whistling:

Similarly Richard - Rich or Richie or Rick ok .... but Dick ?   😲

Then there's the  situation when a Sarah starts getting called Sally.   Eh ?      Even more bizarre is  why some Margarets become known as Pearl.   

I can see why John evolved to Ian (via Juan/Jean in other languages) .... but the above stuff is weird.

there was a trend of swapping the first letter of nicknames, i.e will to bill, rob to bob, rick to dick meg to peg (later to peggy) and only some stuck. at least that is what i remember someone telling me a while ago

One for dictionary corner...

Does the word affordable come from.the same route as a ford in a river?  Where you can cross so affordable?  

I've looked and can't find anything.  

12 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

When the Perseverance robot was beaming back images from Mars, what would the time lag of the live footage have been? 

between 3 and 22 mins depending upon the positions, the average time is around 12-13 minutes

been here before
37 minutes ago, Jamie Walker Tash said:

What ever happened to Cardiff Boy? He took an interest in us during the summer. Haven't seen him post in a while. New name?

Oddball if real.

Reminded me of one of those Chinese/Japanese EPL fanboys. All the uber chat, the gear, posters, tops, badges, stickers etc but couldnt find the team on a map and likely never to see the team live.

Oddball if not real.

18 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Pure speculation on my part, but I think that originated in Boston where a high percentage of the police identified themselves as Irish.  So the bagpipes in question were Irish pipes.

For the record, Irish pipes are crap compared to the Scottish pipes.

With seven out of the last 10 grade 1 World Pipe Band Championships won by Irish bands, some might disagree :whistling:

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

between 3 and 22 mins depending upon the positions, the average time is around 12-13 minutes

Cheers! 👍 

2 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

One for dictionary corner...

Does the word affordable come from.the same route as a ford in a river?  Where you can cross so affordable?  

I've looked and can't find anything.  

I would have suspected so, but the Online Etymological Dictionary shows that there is a small and subtle difference regarding their origin.

It has ford as being an Old English word meaning "shallow place where water can be crossed," from Proto-Germanic *furdu-, from Proto-Indo-European *prtu- "a going, a passage", from root *per- (2) "to lead, pass over."

It has affordable as being from Middle English aforth, from Old English geforðian "to put forth, contribute; further, advance; carry out, accomplish," from ge- completive prefix + forðian "to further," from forð "forward, onward", from Proto-Germanic *furtha- "forward", from extended form of PIE root *per- (1) "forward."

So, they come from what appears to be the same PIE root *per-, but the first is a verbal root, while the second root forms prepositions. Both roots are no doubt related though due to the similarity in concept.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/*per-?ref=etymonline_crossreference#etymonline_v_52721

Edited by redjambo

3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I would have suspected so, but the Online Etymological Dictionary shows that there is a small and subtle difference regarding their origin.

It has ford as being an Old English word meaning "shallow place where water can be crossed," from Proto-Germanic *furdu-, from Proto-Indo-European *prtu- "a going, a passage", from root *per- (2) "to lead, pass over."

It has affordable as being from Middle English aforth, from Old English geforðian "to put forth, contribute; further, advance; carry out, accomplish," from ge- completive prefix + forðian "to further," from forð "forward, onward", from Proto-Germanic *furtha- "forward", from extended form of PIE root *per- (1) "forward."

So, they come from what appears to be the same PIE root *per-, but the first is a verbal root, while the second root forms prepositions. Both roots are no doubt related though due to the similarity in concept.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/*per-?ref=etymonline_crossreference#etymonline_v_52721

I wasn't sure if it was that.  Affluent had me doubting it a wee bit.  Thanks  

Doctor FinnBarr
3 hours ago, Alex said:

With seven out of the last 10 grade 1 World Pipe Band Championships won by Irish bands, some might disagree :whistling:

Lord Mountbatten certainly springs to mind.

Edited by FinnBarr Saunders

Doctor FinnBarr
17 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Lord Mountbatten certainly springs to mind.

Sorry, Field Marshall Montgomery (sp) is the one, getting mixed up wi generals I think

4 hours ago, Alex said:

Oops. Maybe have to back pedal a wee bit, but were they playing Scottish bagpipes or Irish bagpipes?

For many years the world champions were from Simon Fraser University in British Columbia, and they were playing the "real" bagpipes!   :cheers:

20 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Oops. Maybe have to back pedal a wee bit, but were they playing Scottish bagpipes or Irish bagpipes?

For many years the world champions were from Simon Fraser University in British Columbia, and they were playing the "real" bagpipes!   :cheers:

Yep if you go back 12 years instead of 10, you get to Simon Fraser in the top spot. I'm a drummer so will probably be corrected by someone like @AlimOzturk, but my understanding is that the Irish pipes are small pipes usually with bellows and that 'proper' pipe bands play the great highland bagpipe.  The pipe bands playing at funerals in the US would also play the great highland bagpipe.  I guess the quality of teaching in the US must be quite varied and that bands are often chosen as they have a link to the services rather than being the best band in the country (also helps that Scotland is so small there are decent bands within reasonable traveling distance no matter where you are.)

image.png.a94160cfc1f3cf9d13f0a74c7a4d95ba.png

On 28/02/2021 at 21:30, Jamie Walker Tash said:

What ever happened to Cardiff Boy? He took an interest in us during the summer. Haven't seen him post in a while. New name?

I think ‘he’ was a ‘she’.

Secondly, I think he/she was full of shite.

On 28/02/2021 at 20:34, Samuel Camazzola said:

When the Perseverance robot was beaming back images from Mars, what would the time lag of the live footage have been? 

On the day in question the lag was 11 minutes.

On 28/02/2021 at 21:47, Alex said:

However, I reckon those bands were playing Scottish bagpipes.

For a very long time the same pipes were played in Scotland and Ireland, which effectively scuppers the notion of "Irish bagpipes".  Irish bands may dress up the Scottish pipes to look different, but I'd be pretty sure they sound the same.

In more modern times, the píoba uilleann (literally, "pipes of the elbow") have become the definitive Irish pipes, and by their nature they are quite different to Scottish bagpipes.  They were imported from England, evolved, and acquired the name píoba uilleann at some point in the early 20th century.

Oddly enough, the piper I know best is neither Scottish nor Irish.  She's from Saskatchewan.  Life, eh?

Two videos below.  One of my favourite uilleann pipe tunes, Caoineadh Chú Chulainn (Cuchulainn's lament), and a song from Uist (I think) featuring the bagpipes for a bit of balance.

Uilleann pipes are a lovely sound. And quite versatile. I saw this by total chance earlier on tonight on a friends Facebook. 

20 hours ago, Ulysses said:

However, I reckon those bands were playing Scottish bagpipes.

For a very long time the same pipes were played in Scotland and Ireland, which effectively scuppers the notion of "Irish bagpipes".  Irish bands may dress up the Scottish pipes to look different, but I'd be pretty sure they sound the same.

In more modern times, the píoba uilleann (literally, "pipes of the elbow") have become the definitive Irish pipes, and by their nature they are quite different to Scottish bagpipes.  They were imported from England, evolved, and acquired the name píoba uilleann at some point in the early 20th century.

Oddly enough, the piper I know best is neither Scottish nor Irish.  She's from Saskatchewan.  Life, eh?

Two videos below.  One of my favourite uilleann pipe tunes, Caoineadh Chú Chulainn (Cuchulainn's lament), and a song from Uist (I think) featuring the bagpipes for a bit of balance.

My  drumming teacher was from Saskatoon Saskatchewan, the family were from Fife originally and he came "home" to join Dysart and Dundonald Pipe band. 

I think they might have edited it out after protests, but when it was first released Braveheart had a scene where the image was a set off full pipes but the sound was uilleann pipes.

I'm more used to the terms "pipes" and "small pipes", pipe bands are so international these days, Scottish doesn't seem to fit any more.

18 minutes ago, Alex said:

My  drumming teacher was from Saskatoon Saskatchewan, the family were from Fife originally and he came "home" to join Dysart and Dundonald Pipe band. 

I think they might have edited it out after protests, but when it was first released Braveheart had a scene where the image was a set off full pipes but the sound was uilleann pipes.

I'm more used to the terms "pipes" and "small pipes", pipe bands are so international these days, Scottish doesn't seem to fit any more.

Every buggers at it now

On 28/02/2021 at 20:47, milky_26 said:

Definitely a post that can leave feelings of inadequacy if taken out of context. 

Football results! obvious answer is reporters at grounds BUT how do sky sports news get the scores that quick like in the Scottish cup when Linlithgow Rose are playing or Bo'ness even Scottish league two. Surely they cannot have a reporter at each game to text the score and who scored right away ? AND if they did who are the people doing it is there a third party maybe an official tells and the information gets passed to flash scores sky and bbc. Flashscores goals pop up right away. ?

47 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Football results! obvious answer is reporters at grounds BUT how do sky sports news get the scores that quick like in the Scottish cup when Linlithgow Rose are playing or Bo'ness even Scottish league two. Surely they cannot have a reporter at each game to text the score and who scored right away ? AND if they did who are the people doing it is there a third party maybe an official tells and the information gets passed to flash scores sky and bbc. Flashscores goals pop up right away. ?

Opta is the main one I think.

https://www.optasports.com/

“We have data collection centres all around the world. For every match we have three guys using bespoke software, which overlays a live video feed on a pitch graphic: one guy watches the home team, another does the away team and the third man is essentially a data checker,” explains Banoub.

“Using a combination of hotkeys and mouse clicks they track who’s on the ball and what happens to it. So let’s say Wayne Rooney picks it up on the halfway line and passes it out wide to Antonio Valencia; they’ll click where Rooney is on the pitch when he plays it, again where Valencia receives it and the software records an X/Y coordinate and time stamp of the pass.”

Each match produces between 1,600 and 2,000 individual pieces of data, which are analysed by Opta’s in-house team and packaged for use by broadcasters, the press, brands, irritating betting ads and coaches to formulate game plans for upcoming matches by obsessively observing opponents.

Edited by graygo

17 minutes ago, graygo said:

Opta is the main one I think.

https://www.optasports.com/

“We have data collection centres all around the world. For every match we have three guys using bespoke software, which overlays a live video feed on a pitch graphic: one guy watches the home team, another does the away team and the third man is essentially a data checker,” explains Banoub.

“Using a combination of hotkeys and mouse clicks they track who’s on the ball and what happens to it. So let’s say Wayne Rooney picks it up on the halfway line and passes it out wide to Antonio Valencia; they’ll click where Rooney is on the pitch when he plays it, again where Valencia receives it and the software records an X/Y coordinate and time stamp of the pass.”

Each match produces between 1,600 and 2,000 individual pieces of data, which are analysed by Opta’s in-house team and packaged for use by broadcasters, the press, brands, irritating betting ads and coaches to formulate game plans for upcoming matches by obsessively observing opponents.

Makes sense now

21 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Makes sense now

The Opta setup will happen at the bigger games, but what about the lower league Scottish games? And who's doing it at closed doors games during the pandemic?

9 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Companies pay folk to do it, and then probably sell the info on to the main sports networks, bookies and results services

I was about to start doing it for a wee bit of extra cash around the start of the first lockdown. Pay's not great, but reckon spring and autumn games and a wee drive around the country isn't a bad way to escape the wife and kids for an afternoon/evening. 

That actually sounds brilliant. 😄

4 hours ago, graygo said:

That actually sounds brilliant. 😄

I was at a Hearts reserve match at Hamilton last season and sat in the media seats in the stand. I

Sat behind a boy working a phone app which he was using to do the updates for sites like LiveScores giving you an abbreviated commentary on play, e.g. “Home Safe” “Away Attack”

And that's at a reserve game!

6 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Is it "hyperbole" or "hy-per-boal-ay"?

The latter. 

Though as a wise man once said (Facebook meme) don’t be embarrassed if you mispronounce a word as it means you learnt it by reading. 

14 hours ago, jonesy said:

Companies pay folk to do it, and then probably sell the info on to the main sports networks, bookies and results services

I was about to start doing it for a wee bit of extra cash around the start of the first lockdown. Pay's not great, but reckon spring and autumn games and a wee drive around the country isn't a bad way to escape the wife and kids for an afternoon/evening. 

😂 it sounds good but there has been stadiums I’ve been to where phone signal is pish and don’t even get any internet imagine that happened while doing this 😂. That reminds me remember on the kickback years ago folk would complain about hearts fans on their phones at the match instead of watching the game they were checking there coupons ahh they were the days 😂.

Jambos_1874

If I was transported back in time to 1985 and gave my Samsung S20 phone to a top research lab focused on communications, would they have been able to replicate the phone and get it to work as my own does? Or did the technology simply not exist to even copy the phone?

13 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

If I was transported back in time to 1985 and gave my Samsung S20 phone to a top research lab focused on communications, would they have been able to replicate the phone and get it to work as my own does? Or did the technology simply not exist to even copy the phone?

they could probably replicate some of it but some of the technology to produce things like the microchips at the current size i dont think were advanced enough at that time. however what would probably happen would be quicker advancement in tech because they would have something to replicate rather than create from scratch

1 hour ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Even if they could replicate the phone hardware they would have to replicate the software to make it work in the same way. From a 2017 article, Android runs to 12 million lines of code, Facebook 62 million, Google runs into billions. Those millions of lines of code were arrived at through thousands of developer years, testing, debugging and developing.
Transporting you back to 1985 would be the easy part 😉