Things you've always wondered about but couldn't be bothered to find out

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

6 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Of course.  Why did I overlook the obvious?

That gripe juice is brutal.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• redjambo

• FWJ

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

Why is it that we have no memories of our early years?  I have one memory of an incident when I was three years old but none before that.  And none after that until I was five years old.

There must be a reason.

I know what you mean. I have a small handful of memories from when I was quite young and we still loved in gorgie, moved out of gorgie when I was 4 or 5, just before I started school.

I don't have a lot of memories really until I was a few years older. I know we moved to a high rise in sighthill and we were there for 6 months. I have a couple of memories of walking to broomhouse primary school in the mornings.

We then moved to dumbryden and that's really when most of my memories start. I was 5 then as I was in primary 1 and it was before my sister was born.

2 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Why is it that we have no memories of our early years?  I have one memory of an incident when I was three years old but none before that.  And none after that until I was five years old.

There must be a reason.

One theory is that a child's brain is greatly developing and cells in the brain are being renewed /replaced a lot, so memories go with them.

My first memory is aged a year and a half. I have an old photo of my two older sisters and myself, which I remember being taken. When I was in my 20s I told my mum I could remember it being taken and she didn't believe me. I told her that in the photo we were sitting on a maroon coloured candlewick bedspread on top of a table. The photo was b&w, and only showed us from the waist up, so you couldn't tell any of this from the photo.  

37 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

One theory is that a child's brain is greatly developing and cells in the brain are being renewed /replaced a lot, so memories go with them.

My first memory is aged a year and a half. I have an old photo of my two older sisters and myself, which I remember being taken. When I was in my 20s I told my mum I could remember it being taken and she didn't believe me. I told her that in the photo we were sitting on a maroon coloured candlewick bedspread on top of a table. The photo was b&w, and only showed us from the waist up, so you couldn't tell any of this from the photo.  

A memory when you were 18 months is remarkable. 

My daughter has a memory, confirmed by detail like yours, when she was 26 months, and I thought that was amazing.

• 1 month later...
3fingersreid

Whilst doing the ironing ( I find it therapeutic ) I was wondering as to why men’s and women’s buttons are done on opposite sides , even zips are different , any reason as to why or just to remind us they’re from a different planet from us ? 

10 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Whilst doing the ironing ( I find it therapeutic ) I was wondering as to why men’s and women’s buttons are done on opposite sides , even zips are different , any reason as to why or just to remind us they’re from a different planet from us ? 

i think it is a throwback to when rich women had people to dress them. and with the vast majority of people being right handed having the zip on the left side made it easier for the maid to zip it up

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
13 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/heres-why-mens-and-womens-clothes-button-opposite-sides-1-180957361/

Whenever I've bought a jacket in the US, I find the zip to be on the opposite side from a European one.

3fingersreid
20 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

i think it is a throwback to when rich women had people to dress them. and with the vast majority of people being right handed having the zip on the left side made it easier for the maid to zip it up

17 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/heres-why-mens-and-womens-clothes-button-opposite-sides-1-180957361/

Whenever I've bought a jacket in the US, I find the zip to be on the opposite side from a European one.

cheers 👍🏻

• 2 weeks later...

Any night hawks or amateur astrologists know what the bright star like thing in the east is? Got up to get a drink and it caught my eye. Rising quite a bit. Wee app on my phone says it might be Venus, but dunno how accurate it is.

Do the planets all move at different rates? Because I tried googling venus in the sky, and got diagrams showing it in different places in relation to the moon, all different to how it is now.

Do stars move through the night sky too like planets? Can't say I ever noticed but I imagine they must as it's obviously the earth that's moving.

Space blows my mind man.

6 hours ago, Locky said:

Any night hawks or amateur astrologists know what the bright star like thing in the east is? Got up to get a drink and it caught my eye. Rising quite a bit. Wee app on my phone says it might be Venus, but dunno how accurate it is.

Do the planets all move at different rates? Because I tried googling venus in the sky, and got diagrams showing it in different places in relation to the moon, all different to how it is now.

Do stars move through the night sky too like planets? Can't say I ever noticed but I imagine they must as it's obviously the earth that's moving.

Space blows my mind man.

Yes is the short answer. It probably was Venus too.

Depending on what time of hear it is depends on which planets we see. 

53 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Yes is the short answer. It probably was Venus too.

Depending on what time of hear it is depends on which planets we see. 

I seen Mars next to the Moon last night too. Mad though because to the naked eye, they just look like any other star.

I'd love to learn more about space but it freaks me out.

3 minutes ago, Locky said:

I seen Mars next to the Moon last night too. Mad though because to the naked eye, they just look like any other star.

I'd love to learn more about space but it freaks me out.

Give Brian Cox' series a watch. Not sure if they are on iplayer or not. Wonders of the Solar System and Wonders of the Universe.

Basic rule kf thumb though is if it flickers and blinks and you see different colours then its a star. If it doesn't twinkle it's probably a planet. And the chances are that it will be Venus or Jupiter. Mars should have a red tint obviously but you need decent eyesite

19 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Give Brian Cox' series a watch. Not sure if they are on iplayer or not. Wonders of the Solar System and Wonders of the Universe.

Basic rule kf thumb though is if it flickers and blinks and you see different colours then its a star. If it doesn't twinkle it's probably a planet. And the chances are that it will be Venus or Jupiter. Mars should have a red tint obviously but you need decent eyesite

Cheers mate. Aye, the thing I saw last night was solid light, bright and bold. Glad I woke up to see it.

• 3 weeks later...
3fingersreid

For the first time since March I was driving along Ferry road from Crewe Toll roundabout , now I get the white lines painted to indicate a cycle lane but why is there double yellow lines painted alongside the white line ? 

No ones going to stop their vehicle and park it in the middle of the road , perhaps the line painters misread the plans and meant to put them next to the kerb or the council had surplus yellow paint to use ? 
Either way it’s the most bizarre road line painting . 

apologies for no pictures but it does have to be seen to be believed 

Samuel Camazzola

How many ticket sales did Hibs achieve on the back of Dougray and the Talentless Twins making their 'marketing genius' production? 

I'm guessing more were handed back and refunds demanded. 

been here before

Something Ive just wondered recently is whats better for excercise-

Cycling or runnning a consistent speed over a flat level distance, say a mile or cycling/running harder uphill for half a mile and free wheeling or going easier on the descent?

Edited by been here before

3fingersreid
2 hours ago, been here before said:

Something Ive just wondered recently is whats better for excercise-

Cycling or runnning a consistent speed over a flat level distance, say a mile or cycling/running harder uphill for half a mile and free wheeling or going easier on the descent?

Cycling , far less stress on your joints 

been here before
12 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Cycling , far less stress on your joints 

No I mean do you get more exercise going at a steady pace over a level mile or going harder for a half mile uphill then easier a half mile downhill.

3fingersreid
1 hour ago, been here before said:

No I mean do you get more exercise going at a steady pace over a level mile or going harder for a half mile uphill then easier a half mile downhill.

I’d take a guess at the steady pace but that’s as I say , a guess

32 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

I’d take a guess at the steady pace but that’s as I say , a guess

I've no knowledge on it either, but would the uphill then downhill count as High Intensity Interval training?

14 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

For the first time since March I was driving along Ferry road from Crewe Toll roundabout , now I get the white lines painted to indicate a cycle lane but why is there double yellow lines painted alongside the white line ? 

No ones going to stop their vehicle and park it in the middle of the road , perhaps the line painters misread the plans and meant to put them next to the kerb or the council had surplus yellow paint to use ? 
Either way it’s the most bizarre road line painting . 

apologies for no pictures but it does have to be seen to be believed 

Outright dangerous too, heading towards leith the cycle lane just suddenly stops just as the road splits into two lanes for the junction at goldenacre/inverleith row. Absolute certainty that a car will move to the left hand lane and wipe out a cyclist that they haven’t seen

5 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Outright dangerous too, heading towards leith the cycle lane just suddenly stops just as the road splits into two lanes for the junction at goldenacre/inverleith row. Absolute certainty that a car will move to the left hand lane and wipe out a cyclist that they haven’t seen

I ride from Davidson’s Mains to Leith regularly and always avoid Ferry Road as there is a perfectly good cycle path that runs parallel to it that gets you as far as Newhaven Road. 

3fingersreid

Following on from my post above

Double yellows on the outside of a cycle lane , virtually the middle of the road and right up to the red box at traffic lights . Do our city councillors really think someone would try to park their vehicle there ?? 

0EC3E7CC-D04F-4FE1-B005-59E50D041952.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
I P Knightley
On 16/06/2020 at 21:47, Maple Leaf said:

There must be a reason.

It could be that our memories are not memories of the event itself but of the time we spend recollecting the event immediately after and then at intervals after that. When you're wee, you're absorbing so much new stuff (like language, faces, sights, colours and that fact that Hibs are the shite) that you don't pause to think twice about, say, that time you splashed about in the paddling pool. Therefore, it's not in your brain to be revisited a week or so later.

There's my cod-psychology for the day. Enjoy!

Anyway, far more practical issue here.

I've been doing various bits of DIY over the last few weeks and can't get my head around screws. Phillips screws are brilliant; the right size screwdriver and you can't go wrong. Flat-head screws are just stupid; tons of slippage as you try to use them.

Why does anyone bother with flat-head screws at all? I noticed that they seem commonplace in door fixings and then crop up randomly with other bits and pieces. I don't like 'em, I tell you.

37 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

It could be that our memories are not memories of the event itself but of the time we spend recollecting the event immediately after and then at intervals after that. When you're wee, you're absorbing so much new stuff (like language, faces, sights, colours and that fact that Hibs are the shite) that you don't pause to think twice about, say, that time you splashed about in the paddling pool. Therefore, it's not in your brain to be revisited a week or so later.

There's my cod-psychology for the day. Enjoy!

Anyway, far more practical issue here.

I've been doing various bits of DIY over the last few weeks and can't get my head around screws. Phillips screws are brilliant; the right size screwdriver and you can't go wrong. Flat-head screws are just stupid; tons of slippage as you try to use them.

Why does anyone bother with flat-head screws at all? I noticed that they seem commonplace in door fixings and then crop up randomly with other bits and pieces. I don't like 'em, I tell you.

Flat heads are used to prevent over tightening (or so my old man told me) so are usually used on hinges / doors. You should only ever hand tighten flat heads. 

2 minutes ago, JimKongUno said:

If the heat of the meat equals the throb of the knob does the angle of the dangle remain constant? 

Morrissey........

• 2 weeks later...
A Boy Named Crow

The defrost setting on a microwave,  why does it exist? Why can you not achieve the same effect by blasting on full power for less time?

1 hour ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

The defrost setting on a microwave,  why does it exist? Why can you not achieve the same effect by blasting on full power for less time?

If you blast the frozen food, the outside will defrost first and cook before the middle is defrosted, which can ruin some foods, especially meats. The lower intermittent power used by the defrost settings help, but don't entirely stop this.*

*This is based solely on my own observations when using defrost and may be...

A.) Correct

B.) Utter shite

A Boy Named Crow
8 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

If you blast the frozen food, the outside will defrost first and cook before the middle is defrosted, which can ruin some foods, especially meats. The lower intermittent power used by the defrost settings help, but don't entirely stop this.*

*This is based solely on my own observations when using defrost and may be...

A.) Correct

B.) Utter shite

Hmmm, doesn't answer why this would be the case.  I might have to google how microwaves work...

Decaf tea bags, are they any good? I enjoy a cup of tea in the evenings with my tea but the caffeine obviously wrecks my sleeping. Are there any decaf ones that actually taste decent?

A Boy Named Crow

What would happen if you had two email addresses,  you set up an auto forward from account 1 to account 2, and from account 2 to account 1, then sent an email to one of the addresses?

On 24/09/2020 at 14:21, superjack said:

Decaf tea bags, are they any good? I enjoy a cup of tea in the evenings with my tea but the caffeine obviously wrecks my sleeping. Are there any decaf ones that actually taste decent?

My dad switched from Tetley to Tetley decaf and says he can’t taste the difference and has stuck with them. 

1 hour ago, Les Izemore said:

My dad switched from Tetley to Tetley decaf and says he can’t taste the difference and has stuck with them. 

I got some at the weekend for my evening cuppa. As you said, I can't notice a difference in the taste, wish I thought of it a few years ago.

Ricardo Quaresma
18 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

What would happen if you had two email addresses,  you set up an auto forward from account 1 to account 2, and from account 2 to account 1, then sent an email to one of the addresses?

Wouldn't continue to be fowarded for too long

A Boy Named Crow
19 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Wouldn't continue to be fowarded for too long

Really? Would it not bounce between the two indefinitely,  potentially breaking the internet...

25 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Really? Would it not bounce between the two indefinitely,  potentially breaking the internet...

Mail server software is designed to detect and stop it from happening. Even if it could happen, both inboxes would be full, and not be able to receive anything, long before the internet was 'broken'.

Are you not going to tell us what you found when you googled about how microwaves work?  Come on mate, we've all been waiting to hear for over a week now.

A Boy Named Crow
16 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Mail server software is designed to detect and stop it from happening. Even if it could happen, both inboxes would be full, and not be able to receive anything, long before the internet was 'broken'.

Are you not going to tell us what you found when you googled about how microwaves work?  Come on mate, we've all been waiting to hear for over a week now.

Ha, I didn't mean to leave you hanging. I did Google that. The answers I found weren't very satisfactory though.  I know that the microwaves "excite" the molecules  causing them to vibrate. The vibration of the molecules generate heat. BUT the waves can only pentrate so far, so the outside cooks faster than the middle. 

None of this really answered the question of the need for a defrost function,  but I moved on to wondering about emails and forgot about it!

7 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

a few years ago a company did not have their mail server setup properly and out of office replies kept happening when they should not have continued to send and it crippled the companies IT system until it was all disabled

Why do people quote enormously long posts just to reply with something like “yes” or “I agree” 
Pain in the arse scrolling past it all, UNTIL TODAY!! 
I’ve just discovered, by accident, if you tap on the grey bar at the top of the quote with the posters name in it then it is minimised. This is nice as it will cut down on the amount of time I sit mumbling under my breath about idiots. 

9 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Why do people quote enormously long posts just to reply with something like “yes” or “I agree” 
I’ve just discovered, by accident, if you tap on the grey bar at the top of the quote with the posters name in it then it is minimised. This is nice as it will cut down on the amount of time I sit mumbling under my breath about idiots. 

Great tip, thanks. 
Remember when people knew how to <snip> a post?

been here before
28 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Similarly why do people post "signed/done" when a post is made looking for signatures or a survey filled? Why not just sign it and move along?

21 minutes ago, been here before said:

Similarly why do people post "signed/done" when a post is made looking for signatures or a survey filled? Why not just sign it and move along?

Dunno but maybe to keep it on the page? If no one posts on the thread, it'll fall off the 1st page and most folk won't see it otherwise. 

4 hours ago, jonesy said:

Y

e

p.

I agree.

Lone Striker
19 hours ago, Boof said:

Shouldn't the collective entity of Scotland, Wales and England be called the United Queendom?

Ha-ha. ☺️    In theory then -  it started off as the United Kingdom .... then became the United Queendom under Victoria .... then rerverted to the United KIngdom for a while .... before being the United Queendom for the last 67 years under Liz.

So - again in theory -  the UK never joined the EU .... and therefore Boris isn't breaking international law because the UQ never signed any  legal treaties.      See... Boris isn't quite as dumb as we thought !! 😜

p.s.  what happened to poor old Norn Irn in your theory ?  :whistling: 

59 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

p.s.  what happened to poor old Norn Irn in your theory ?  :whistling: 

Aye, right enough they should've been in there.

I was confusing myself with Great Britain and the UK (or Q :D ) of GB and NI...apologies to all Northern Irelanders who feel slighted by my omission.