Things you've always wondered about but couldn't be bothered to find out

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

A Boy Named Crow

What's happening on the soaps these days? Are EastEnders and Corrie just showing the characters sitting in their houses all the time?

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• redjambo

• FWJ

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

What's happening on the soaps these days? Are EastEnders and Corrie just showing the characters sitting in their houses all the time?

Don't you know they're no allowed oot.

A Boy Named Crow
12 minutes ago, JWL said:

Don't you know they're no allowed oot.

That's my point, it must be a real challenge for the script writers...

4 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

As I understand it Eastenders are pretending it doesn't exist and Corrie makes reference to it but presumably don't have pubs and cafes closed or mask wearing.

A Boy Named Crow
18 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

As I understand it Eastenders are pretending it doesn't exist and Corrie makes reference to it but presumably don't have pubs and cafes closed or mask wearing.

Hmmm, I suppose it's obvious that they'd do this,  but it is a bit of a cop out.  

4 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

I’ve not seen any for a while as I normally only see them at my mums when I visit to scrounge my tea. Corrie and Emmerdale are doing actors in masks and so on. It’s most evident when they do scenes together and you can see them keeping a distance from each other instead of acting normally. I don’t know about Eastenders as my 89 year old mother considers it “miserable cockney pish”.

A Boy Named Crow
7 hours ago, Tazio said:

I’ve not seen any for a while as I normally only see them at my mums when I visit to scrounge my tea. Corrie and Emmerdale are doing actors in masks and so on. It’s most evident when they do scenes together and you can see them keeping a distance from each other instead of acting normally. I don’t know about Eastenders as my 89 year old mother considers it “miserable cockney pish”.

Aye, I couldn't tell you the last time I saw any of them,  maybe the EastEnders Christmas special about ten years ago,  at the behest of my sister in law.

The idea of them all sitting in their houses,  or baking bread for episode after episode doesn't sound any less entertaining than the usual output!

12 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

12 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Hmmm, I suppose it's obvious that they'd do this,  but it is a bit of a cop out.  

Corrie haven't copped out of it, plenty mask wearing and social distancing on it tonight, assume it's like that all the time just now.

How do individual species know how to choose the same species to mate with ?
For example obviously a sparrow wouldn’t mate with a pigeon but how can a male blackbird tell the difference between a female blackbird and a female thrush which are similar ? 

2 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

For example obviously a sparrow wouldn’t mate with a pigeon but how can a male blackbird tell the difference between a female blackbird and a female thrush which are similar ? 

They're similar, but different enough.  Not only can creatures recognise other members of the same species, but they can tell which are more desirable than others as mates.

The need to pass one's genes to the next generation is one of the most powerful forces in nature, probably second only to survival.  Any creature that's daft enough to mate with an animal of a different species will fail to pass along its genes and becomes one of nature's losers.  It would be definitely eligible for a Darwin Award!  :wink:

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

They're similar, but different enough.  Not only can creatures recognise other members of the same species, but they can tell which are more desirable than others as mates.

The need to pass one's genes to the next generation is one of the most powerful forces in nature, probably second only to survival.  Any creature that's daft enough to mate with an animal of a different species will fail to pass along its genes and becomes one of nature's losers.  It would be definitely eligible for a Darwin Award!  :wink:

👍🏻

15 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

To add on to AJ's answer, with birds in particular, a lot of them have evolved certain plumage, songs and mating rituals which helps them mate with their own kind. That said, there's a species of black duck in the USA which is becoming rare as the females are often podgered by mallards. 

Anyone ever been to the Faroe Islands? Why are they so isolated from Scotland despite being so close?

Googled the distance as the crow flies from Shetland to Faroes, and it claims to be only 360km, however to travel from one set of islands to the other without a direct boat, it's a 76 hour round trip according to Google which involves getting a ferry to mainland UK, driving the length of it, then a ferry to France, driving across Belgium, Netherlands and Germany, all the way to the top of Denmark, then a ferry again the rest of the way. On top of that, the ferry route apparently passes right through the middle of Orkney and Shetland.

I know the Faroe's are part of the Danish empire, but given the proximity to mainland UK, it just seems mad that there's not better travel links between the 2. 

1 hour ago, Locky said:

Anyone ever been to the Faroe Islands? Why are they so isolated from Scotland despite being so close?

Googled the distance as the crow flies from Shetland to Faroes, and it claims to be only 360km, however to travel from one set of islands to the other without a direct boat, it's a 76 hour round trip according to Google which involves getting a ferry to mainland UK, driving the length of it, then a ferry to France, driving across Belgium, Netherlands and Germany, all the way to the top of Denmark, then a ferry again the rest of the way. On top of that, the ferry route apparently passes right through the middle of Orkney and Shetland.

I know the Faroe's are part of the Danish empire, but given the proximity to mainland UK, it just seems mad that there's not better travel links between the 2. 

I see you looked at the exact same trip that I found myself a few months ago :lol:   Was interested in going in the future, and assumed it would be an easy flight, but it usually involves Edinburgh > Amsterdam, then Amsterdam > Copenhagen or Billund, then Copenhagen or Billund > Vágar.  A nice casual 14 hour one way trip, to get to somewhere that really isn't that far away!

Having a quick look, I found this on the Wikipedia Article about them:

As part of Mercantilism, Denmark maintained a monopoly over trade with the Faroe Islands and forbade their inhabitants trading with others (e.g. the geographically close Britain). The trade monopoly in the Faroe Islands was abolished in 1856, after which the area developed as a modern fishing nation with its own fishing fleet. The national awakening from 1888 initially arose from a struggle to maintain the Faroese language and was thus culturally oriented, but after 1906 it became more political with the foundation of political parties of the Faroe Islands.

Maybe it's just a historical holdover?

There are (or at least were flights pre-covid) between Edinburgh and The Faroes.

For a while an Air Atlantic (Faroese Airline) flew Faroes - Shetland - London.

9 minutes ago, tian447 said:

I see you looked at the exact same trip that I found myself a few months ago :lol:   Was interested in going in the future, and assumed it would be an easy flight, but it usually involves Edinburgh > Amsterdam, then Amsterdam > Copenhagen or Billund, then Copenhagen or Billund > Vágar.  A nice casual 14 hour one way trip, to get to somewhere that really isn't that far away!

Having a quick look, I found this on the Wikipedia Article about them:

As part of Mercantilism, Denmark maintained a monopoly over trade with the Faroe Islands and forbade their inhabitants trading with others (e.g. the geographically close Britain). The trade monopoly in the Faroe Islands was abolished in 1856, after which the area developed as a modern fishing nation with its own fishing fleet. The national awakening from 1888 initially arose from a struggle to maintain the Faroese language and was thus culturally oriented, but after 1906 it became more political with the foundation of political parties of the Faroe Islands.

Maybe it's just a historical holdover?

Yeah, I remember when Hibs drew some Faroese team a couple of seasons ago in Europe, the papers printed how awkward it was to get there.

I mean I can't imagine there's a huge gap in the market on our part, what with the Faroes only having like 30,000 inhabitants, but it just seems mad that a group of islands so close to us, could be so inaccessible. :lol: I'd imagine should Scotland ever be independent, they'd probably try and build closer relations with the Nordic countries even more, but that's a debate I don't wanna get into. :ninja:

I'd love to go to the Faroes one day. I was in Iceland in 2019 which was brilliant. The Faroes just fascinate me too.

7 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

How did PMs become DMs?

Think that was all becuase of Twitter and/or Instagram. They call it DM's and it's just sort of stuck what with the popularity of the 2. I would say DM on Twitter, but yet here I would still say PM.

8 minutes ago, FWJ said:

There are (or at least were flights pre-covid) between Edinburgh and The Faroes.

For a while an Air Atlantic (Faroese Airline) flew Faroes - Shetland - London.

I had a wee nosey on their website and they do have a route map which includes Edinburgh and London flying to Vagar. Obviously at the moment though, its difficult to even just have a nosey at schedule and prices. Wonder if that's a new thing because as I said to Tian above, when Hibs played a team in Europe from the Faroes, the fans had to do some mad journey which involved flying to Denmark.

24 minutes ago, Locky said:

I had a wee nosey on their website and they do have a route map which includes Edinburgh and London flying to Vagar. Obviously at the moment though, its difficult to even just have a nosey at schedule and prices. Wonder if that's a new thing because as I said to Tian above, when Hibs played a team in Europe from the Faroes, the fans had to do some mad journey which involved flying to Denmark.

I think the Edinburgh flights have been on the go for a couple of years.

I’m pretty sure the ferry (Norrona?) used to make a stop in Lerwick but it hasn’t for years.  There just can’t be the market.

If by mistake when you put fuel in your car which I know you can’t by the nozzle/hole girth etc what’s the best of a bad job petrol in a Diesel engine or diesel in a petrol engine or is one is as big a nightmare as the other?

1 hour ago, Angel eyes said:

If by mistake when you put fuel in your car which I know you can’t by the nozzle/hole girth etc what’s the best of a bad job petrol in a Diesel engine or diesel in a petrol engine or is one is as big a nightmare as the other?

I think diesel in a petrol is less bad.

Petrol clogs diesel engines.

Edited by hughesie27

The Faroe Islands or Føroyar in Faroese, is an autonomous territory within the kingdom of Denmark. With a population of 52,703 as of September 2020 it's more densely populated than @Locky suggests.

I have no idea if Faroese folk get as miffed about being referred to as 'the Faroes' as Shetlanders do upon hearing 'the Shetlands' but I generally don't do it just in case :D

Yes, there used to be Atlantic Airways with their Faroe-Shetland-London link. The Shetland leg only lasted from 2006-2008. Not sure what other routes Atlantic may now fly - COVID being a bit of a bugger for any checking. For Shetlanders it might be easiest to fly Sumburgh-Bergen-Vágar. Mainland Scots might find ABZ/EDI - Keflavik (Iceland) - Vágar the simplest...unless there IS a direct route.

The passenger ship, Norröna, did call into Lerwick heading to Bergen on its eastbound journey and Tórshavn going back west again but that ceased at the end of the summer timetable in 2007. Our Council had invested into their ferry firm with one of the conditions being a regular call into Lerwick but the port charges were so high that the company eventually jacked it in. I can't recall if there was any redress financially - knowing our Council, probably not 🙄.

Never visited the place myself but it IS on the bucket list.

Whether their geology permits it more easily or they just have a bit more impetus to get things done the Faroese tunnel network is something else.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55195390

Shetland, meanwhile, has a grand total of none. Lots of hot air spouted over the decades and an ageing ferry fleet but nary a tunnel in sight.

Was pleasantly surprised when driving in Tromsø a couple of years ago to encounter a roundabout with 4 exits in their tunnel system :D 

10 hours ago, Angel eyes said:

With older diesel engines you used to get away with if you put a very small bit of petrol in but then fully filled with diesel. However modern engines I believe if you attempt to drive a diesel with any petrol in it you will kill the engine requiring a replacement

10 hours ago, Angel eyes said:

Petrol nozzle is smaller than diesel so you can put petrol in a diesel engine but not the other way round - don't do it.

9 hours ago, Boof said:

The Faroe Islands or Føroyar in Faroese, is an autonomous territory within the kingdom of Denmark. With a population of 52,703 as of September 2020 it's more densely populated than @Locky suggests.

I have no idea if Faroese folk get as miffed about being referred to as 'the Faroes' as Shetlanders do upon hearing 'the Shetlands' but I generally don't do it just in case :D

Yes, there used to be Atlantic Airways with their Faroe-Shetland-London link. The Shetland leg only lasted from 2006-2008. Not sure what other routes Atlantic may now fly - COVID being a bit of a bugger for any checking. For Shetlanders it might be easiest to fly Sumburgh-Bergen-Vágar. Mainland Scots might find ABZ/EDI - Keflavik (Iceland) - Vágar the simplest...unless there IS a direct route.

The passenger ship, Norröna, did call into Lerwick heading to Bergen on its eastbound journey and Tórshavn going back west again but that ceased at the end of the summer timetable in 2007. Our Council had invested into their ferry firm with one of the conditions being a regular call into Lerwick but the port charges were so high that the company eventually jacked it in. I can't recall if there was any redress financially - knowing our Council, probably not 🙄.

Never visited the place myself but it IS on the bucket list.

Good stuff Boof, knew you'd be able to shed some light. Didn't resalise the population was as high as that. I'm sure it's a bit of a niche market, but it must be frustrating being a Shetlander wanting to go to another set of islands so close, with so much travelling involved.

9 hours ago, Tazio said:

Odd fact about the Faroes. There are is a noticeable Thai presence in the population. 

Iceland had something similar a few years back, albeit with a shortage of men. I'd love to move there and shack up with a gorgeous Nordic burd. Alas, I'm still in Musselburgh. :( 

A Boy Named Crow
7 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

That’s the kind of inspiration I’m looking for 👍

I believe there's a number of documentaries on the subject, seems to happen more often than you'd think. 

1 hour ago, Locky said:

Good stuff Boof, knew you'd be able to shed some light. Didn't resalise the population was as high as that. I'm sure it's a bit of a niche market, but it must be frustrating being a Shetlander wanting to go to another set of islands so close, with so much travelling involved.

Same here - I thought their population was mid-40s of thousands. If the ferry had still been running I'd definitely have been by now :( 

We did have a group in our rowing fraternity who rowed there one summer. https://www.shetnews.co.uk/2011/08/02/rowing-to-faroe-in-support-of-clan/

That's the boats we have our summer regattas in 23' (max) and 6 rowing over a 1 km course.
Some round island races or point-point along the coast as well.

1 hour ago, Locky said:

Iceland had something similar a few years back, albeit with a shortage of men. I'd love to move there and shack up with a gorgeous Nordic burd. Alas, I'm still in Musselburgh. :( 

Musselburgh could be twinned with Kræklingaborg (direct translation - no idea if there is one in Iceland :lol: ) for seekers of romance...

1 hour ago, Boof said:

Same here - I thought their population was mid-40s of thousands. If the ferry had still been running I'd definitely have been by now :( 

We did have a group in our rowing fraternity who rowed there one summer. https://www.shetnews.co.uk/2011/08/02/rowing-to-faroe-in-support-of-clan/

That's the boats we have our summer regattas in 23' (max) and 6 rowing over a 1 km course.
Some round island races or point-point along the coast as well.

Musselburgh could be twinned with Kræklingaborg (direct translation - no idea if there is one in Iceland :lol: ) for seekers of romance...

That is pretty damn cool, but as a non-swimmer, gives me the fear. :lol: I suppose, they were aided by a workboat and stuff though so wouldn't be too bad but the thought of drowning or being stuck at sea gives me the fear. :lol: 

2 minutes ago, Locky said:

That is pretty damn cool, but as a non-swimmer, gives me the fear. :lol: I suppose, they were aided by a workboat and stuff though so wouldn't be too bad but the thought of drowning or being stuck at sea gives me the fear. :lol: 

Yeah - those guys had a support vessel for the non-rowing shifts. Quite an impressive feat, I'd have to say.

Even just going out for our practices we're always lifejacketed up. I have never once felt any apprehension though one of our usual crew is a bit of a feartie :lol:  

We'll often just have a leisurely row once our so-called race practice is done by going into caves etc. He's always a bit "Okay - that's far enough..." :D 

Also nice to see the wildlife too - a couple of years ago my crew (minus me because I was selling a car :mad:) had a pod of orcas around the boat. Also seen basking sharks, seals, porpoises, otters, all sorts of birds...maybe gets a km or two nearer Faroe :lol: 

8 hours ago, Locky said:

Alas, I'm still in Musselburgh. :( 

Wiki says that Atlantic Airways do a 1-hour flight from EDI to Faroe on Thursdays and Sundays. Easier for you to get there than me :lol: 

5 hours ago, Boof said:

Also nice to see the wildlife too - a couple of years ago my crew (minus me because I was selling a car :mad:) had a pod of orcas around the boat. 

Orca row.jpg

4 hours ago, Boof said:

Wiki says that Atlantic Airways do a 1-hour flight from EDI to Faroe on Thursdays and Sundays. Easier for you to get there than me :lol: 

Aye, its on their website too as a route, but I imagine it's a no go at the moment. I'll defo need to look into it when we go back to normal.

As an aside Boof, I assume it's easy to fly from Edinburgh to Shetland? I'd love to visit Shetland.

9 minutes ago, Locky said:

As an aside Boof, I assume it's easy to fly from Edinburgh to Shetland? I'd love to visit Shetland.

Yep - Loganair, in normal circumstances, will do 2 return flights daily.

Not cheap, though. 

If you do make it here gie's a shout and I'll recommend some of the better touristy stuff.

1 minute ago, Boof said:

Yep - Loganair, in normal circumstances, will do 2 return flights daily.

Not cheap, though. 

If you do make it here gie's a shout and I'll recommend some of the better touristy stuff.

Yeah, after going to Iceland, I've realised that visiting remote places is an expensive hobby. :lol:

I will do mate. I'm a man of simple pleasures, so put me in the direction of a good pint and a fish supper, and you've got a friend for life. :lol:

4 minutes ago, Tazio said:

If you’re going to Shetland for the first time you have to do the rite of passage of getting the ferry. 

Sadly (relatively speaking - it was a bit of a shitehole, but some traditions must be upheld) the pre-boarding pint in the Quarter Deck is a thing of the past.

Dunsapie Loch is near the top of Arthur's Seat.  Where does the water come from to keep it filled up year round? 

If it was merely rain, then the water level would rise and fall depending on the time of year, but it doesn't.

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

Dunsapie Loch is near the top of Arthur's Seat.  Where does the water come from to keep it filled up year round? 

If it was merely rain, then the water level would rise and fall depending on the time of year, but it doesn't.

It's an artificial loch and the water is fed into it from Alnwickhill water works.

2 minutes ago, graygo said:

It's an artificial loch and the water is fed into it from Alnwickhill water works.

I read a very interesting piece online a while back about the springs and wells out there that feed the city centre with water and have for hundreds of years. 

7 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I read a very interesting piece online a while back about the springs and wells out there that feed the city centre with water and have for hundreds of years. 

Yes, I think it was used as a reservoir. Not sure that it is still supplied by the water works anymore tbh.