Things you've always wondered about but couldn't be bothered to find out

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Jambos_1874
1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

they could probably replicate some of it but some of the technology to produce things like the microchips at the current size i dont think were advanced enough at that time. however what would probably happen would be quicker advancement in tech because they would have something to replicate rather than create from scratch

6 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Even if they could replicate the phone hardware they would have to replicate the software to make it work in the same way. From a 2017 article, Android runs to 12 million lines of code, Facebook 62 million, Google runs into billions. Those millions of lines of code were arrived at through thousands of developer years, testing, debugging and developing.
Transporting you back to 1985 would be the easy part 😉

Thanks, that's interesting. I hadn't even considered the code/software element of it, probably as the best I can manage is a bit of semi-successful dabbling in SQL! Amazing how far we've come in such a short space of time.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• redjambo

• FWJ

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unknown user
4 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Thanks, that's interesting. I hadn't even considered the code/software element of it, probably as the best I can manage is a bit of semi-successful dabbling in SQL! Amazing how far we've come in such a short space of time.

In the early 80s, about 15 years in from your starting point, Microsoft released MS DOS 1.25, the first version available to PC manufacturers.

Even a decade and a half on from where your scenario plays out this cutting edge software ran to about 13,000 lines of code, and that was overinflated as Microsoft were paid per line of code to create it in the first place.

It's a really interesting concept though, what would they make of it?

3 hours ago, Jambos_1874 said:

If I was transported back in time to 1985 and gave my Samsung S20 phone to a top research lab focused on communications, would they have been able to replicate the phone and get it to work as my own does? Or did the technology simply not exist to even copy the phone?

Scientists have already developed this technology.

It's called Aberdeen.

When you look at the BBC stats for a match and it has fouls listed is that fouls committed by you or against you? Always been confused by it. 

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

When you look at the BBC stats for a match and it has fouls listed is that fouls committed by you or against you? Always been confused by it. 

committed by you

Dennis Reynolds

What's the metal ring at the top of the bin for? I feel like it should be used for holding the bag or something but I've no idea how or why it should be used.

A Boy Named Crow

In the Mafia games. Folk always say they wouldn't use BS. What's that all about? Mafia is an aspect of JKB I'm scared to get involved with, as it utterly mystifies me. 

2 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

In the Mafia games. Folk always say they wouldn't use BS. What's that all about? Mafia is an aspect of JKB I'm scared to get involved with, as it utterly mystifies me. 

BS is a strategy created by @Boof (hence BS - boof strategy). it is a way to tell the team of good roled players the cops identity without letting the bad roled players know. 

you should try the next game, there is more suspicion and infighting than on a matchday thread

A Boy Named Crow
2 hours ago, milky_26 said:

BS is a strategy created by @Boof (hence BS - boof strategy). it is a way to tell the team of good roled players the cops identity without letting the bad roled players know. 

you should try the next game, there is more suspicion and infighting than on a matchday thread

I might do that.  I've got an eleven hour time difference to deal with though. 

41 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

I might do that.  I've got an eleven hour time difference to deal with though. 

we have a player from australia

On 06/03/2021 at 15:03, fancy a brew said:

Scientists have already developed this technology.

It's called Aberdeen.

:D

On 06/03/2021 at 15:49, Tazio said:

Just look at a Celtic or Rangers result and you'll have your answer.

Not an always wondered, but it used to be when you were looking for home insurance quotes, it would ask you if you'd made any claims in the last five years, now it seems to ask if you have made or could have made any claims in the last year,  does that mean I'm as well claiming as doing repairs myself? 

Edited by Alex

Why do dogs love to roll in any disgusting deposit they encounter? It doesn't matter if it's excrement, vomit, or a dead animal.  I love dogs,except for that annoying characteristic. :sick:

3fingersreid

Why do cleaning sprays say they kill 99.9% of germs ? 
Why not 100% or would that leave the manufacturer open to being sued if someone fell ill ?

5 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Why do cleaning sprays say they kill 99.9% of germs ? 
Why not 100% or would that leave the manufacturer open to being sued if someone fell ill ?

im sure it is they cant prove that they kill 100%, not that they dont kill 100% just cant prove it

3fingersreid
4 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

im sure it is they cant prove that they kill 100%, not that they dont kill 100% just cant prove it

👍🏻

Auldbenches
4 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Why do dogs love to roll in any disgusting deposit they encounter? It doesn't matter if it's excrement, vomit, or a dead animal.  I love dogs,except for that annoying characteristic. :sick:

Mines used to role in deer shite and someone said they did it to help with leaving their scent.  Not sure if true but makes sense.  

On 06/03/2021 at 11:42, Jambos_1874 said:

If I was transported back in time to 1985 and gave my Samsung S20 phone to a top research lab focused on communications, would they have been able to replicate the phone and get it to work as my own does? Or did the technology simply not exist to even copy the phone?

You'd also have to hope for 2 things

- the lab was in Japan as nowhere else had a viable cellular network in 1985

- they could reverse engineer the phone to pick up a 1G signal rather than 3/4/5G

Is 'chopped up egg in a cup' an actual thing or was / is it just a family dish. I used to live on it as a child but haven't heard or seen anyone else mention it since my childhood. Was it just me? 

6 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

Is 'chopped up egg in a cup' an actual thing or was / is it just a family dish. I used to live on it as a child but haven't heard or seen anyone else mention it since my childhood. Was it just me? 

No my mum used to make me it for lunch. Unless you’re my sister then it might just be us

6 minutes ago, mutley said:

No my mum used to make me it for lunch. Unless you’re my sister then it might just be us

😄 No defo not you're sister. That would involve a major lifestyle change!

27 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

I'm in my 50's and have it at least once a week.

1 hour ago, jambo89 said:

what is it? is it a boiled egg that is chopped up or something?

edit just spotted a recipe for it

https://www.myingredients.com/recipes/chopped-up-egg-in-a-cup/

Edited by milky_26

been here before
Just now, milky_26 said:

what is it? is it a boiled egg that is chopped up or something?

Aye.

Boiled egg in a cup roughly mashed/chopped.

2 hours ago, jambo89 said:

I used to feed it to my grandchildren after school, in the winter.  It's the ultimate comfort food and they all loved it.

Stuart Lyon

Still enjoy egg-in-a-cup now and again! Tastes better if you have some butter in the cup for the hot egg(s) to melt. A quick stir coats the egg in the butter. 

Les Izemore
6 hours ago, jambo89 said:

Had an egg chopped up in a cup, with butter, salt and pepper, every breakfast from the age of 6 months to 16 years old, without fail. 

A bit on the gusty side. 

Stuart Lyon
3 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

Not had one sine I was about 10 but yeah, bit of butter and some salt. Might do it for the kids.

Occasionally have it for lunch too but skin and chop a tomato into it. Braw!

32 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Occasionally have it for lunch too but skin and chop a tomato into it. Braw!

That sounds like an interesting variation.  :thumb:

Greedy Jambo
4 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Drawer of course. For reference see chest of drawers. 

I thought so, that's what i've always said, but there's folk that say draw. 

37 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Drawer of course. For reference see chest of drawers. 

Of course it is, goes without saying.  👍

Nobody actually says ‘draw’.  :vrface:

Just now, Morgan said:

Of course it is, goes without saying.  👍

Nobody actually says ‘draw’.  :vrface:

I’ve heard it said a lot. I normally sigh and shake my head sadly. 

56 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I thought so, that's what i've always said, but there's folk

...who are complete and utter bellends...

56 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

that say draw. 

Greedy Jambo

So my follow up question is

What's so good about the top drawer in a chest of drawers?

Mines is full of shite. 

Does anyone remember when ladies, before their marriage, kept a ‘bottom drawer’? 

I think it was sometimes called a ‘hope chest’?

I’m not going to start saying ‘ban it’ or anything, but when rugby and football are under the spotlight and there is talk of heading the ball being disallowed in training how is boxing - where the idea is to knock your opponent unconscious - or injure them to the point where they can’t continue - still a thing?

(And, yeah, there are points victories - but that’s not really what it’s all about, is it?  That’s just what happens if no-one ends up unconscious)

Edited by FWJ

6 minutes ago, FWJ said:

I’m not going to start saying ‘ban it’ or anything, but when rugby and football are under the spotlight and there is talk of heading the ball being disallowed in training how is boxing - where the idea is to knock your opponent unconscious - or injure them to the point where they can’t continue - still a thing?

(And, yeah, there are points victories - but that’s not really what it’s all about, is it?  That’s just what happens if no-one ends up unconscious)

I admire the skill and strength of these guys but we are essentially paying folk millions to knock **** out each other. Does seem a bit strange. 

9 hours ago, FWJ said:

People enjoy watching, people enjoy competing as well.

It would be different of people were forced into it but they're not.

The heading of a football being banned in training was, I think, for kids football, not adult (I may be wrong though). Another way to look at it is that kids will learn to keep the ball on the deck better, should almost get rid of he long ball and give a game with quicker, short passes.

Why is Sunday considered to be both the first day of the week and also part of the week end?

dobmisterdobster
18 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Why is Sunday considered to be both the first day of the week and also part of the week end?

A lot of people consider Monday to be the first day of the week.

8 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

A lot of people consider Monday to be the first day of the week.

That's true with regards to the workweek. 

But if you go back to the Jewish Torah, God did all his creating stuff on the first 6 days, then rested on the 7th day, which became the Sabbath, and the Jewish Sabbath is Saturday.  That makes Sunday the first day of the week.

heartsfc_fan
4 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Why do rugby teams announce their line-ups days in advance? Is it part of the expectation to do so? 

Never got that either.

I also don't understand why club rugby doesn't take a break when the 6 nations is on. Edinburgh and Glasgow squads get emptied.