Things you've always wondered about but couldn't be bothered to find out

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

3fingersreid

Leaf blowers , when gardeners are finished cutting hedges , grass or bushes they use these blowers and all they are doing is moving the clippings around ( usually into someone else’s property) 

Why don’t they hoover it up (or even sweep the mess up ) rather than scatter it about ? 

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• redjambo

• FWJ

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, 3fingersreid said:

Leaf blowers , when gardeners are finished cutting hedges , grass or bushes they use these blowers and all they are doing is moving the clippings around ( usually into someone else’s property) 

Why don’t they hoover it up (or even sweep the mess up ) rather than scatter it about ? 

Anytime I've seen someone with one, they've been blowing the stuff into a pile so its easier to pick up. I suppose there must be some rogue leaf blowers out there. 

3fingersreid
1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

Anytime I've seen someone with one, they've been blowing the stuff into a pile so its easier to pick up. I suppose there must be some rogue leaf blowers out there. 

😂😂

On 04/10/2020 at 16:09, Boof said:

Shouldn't the collective entity of Scotland, Wales and England be called the United Queendom?

Definition of a Kingdom is a country, state, or territory ruled by a king or queen therefore no need to change

1 hour ago, Ribble said:

Definition of a Kingdom is a country, state, or territory ruled by a king or queen therefore no need to change

Bit sexist, that.

What d'you think, ladies? Gents too, I suppose. And everyone else. Want to live in a queendom if we have a queen on the throne?

Personally I'd rather live in a monarch-less country but if we became the United Queendom it wouldn't bother me a bit.

been here before
1 hour ago, graygo said:

I've seen people keeping locks of hair as a momento so how come skelton's don't have hair?

The hair is attached to the skin as it were.

4 minutes ago, been here before said:

The hair is attached to the skin as it were.

So if you opened up an old grave you would find a skeleton with hair? (although not attached)

Something I could be bothered to find out...the top running speed of a roadrunner is less than half that of a coyote (presumably unencumbered by a large ACME anvil).

been here before
17 minutes ago, Boof said:

Something I could be bothered to find out...the top running speed of a roadrunner is less than half that of a coyote (presumably unencumbered by a large ACME anvil).

Nothing some iron filings, bird seed and a big magnet cant sort out.

ACME is an acronym (roughly) for a company that makes everything. 
And was a real thing, my granny had and ACME mangle when I was a kid. 

been here before
7 hours ago, Tazio said:

ACME is an acronym (roughly) for a company that makes everything. 
And was a real thing, my granny had and ACME mangle when I was a kid. 

Theres 1000s of companies called ACME. I once bought a house where some damp work had been done by ACME Damp Proofing or similar.

ACME isnt an acronym though. It means the best, the zenith or high ppint that something can be. 

The_razors_edge
31 minutes ago, been here before said:

Theres 1000s of companies called ACME. I once bought a house where some damp work had been done by ACME Damp Proofing or similar.

ACME isnt an acronym though. It means the best, the zenith or high ppint that something can be. 

I had an ACME ‘thunderer’ whistle when I did a bit of refereeing. It was fecking loud! 

5 hours ago, been here before said:

I meant in the cartoons, I’m perfectly aware of the meaning of the word.

After further research however it appears my FACT is an urban myth. 

5 hours ago, The_razors_edge said:

I had an ACME ‘thunderer’ whistle when I did a bit of refereeing. It was fecking loud! 

I have one that I use when I get unsolicited calls from scammers!

3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

How do trades folk park their vans in controlled parking zones around the city and not get tickets?

They do. Or get lucky. Some even just add the cost of the tickets onto the customer in underhand ways.

16 minutes ago, jonesy said:

How do trades folk park their vans in controlled parking zones around the city and not get tickets?

They can buy an annual permit, costs £1,000+ per year, allows you to park in parking bays, residents spots and some single yellow lines (not during rush hours)

39 minutes ago, jonesy said:

As an aside, there are two local businesses near me where the owner clearly parks outside in the metered bays all day. No sign of a permit in either vehicle. Reckon they just fob off the wardens with freebies/a wee brown envelope?

The council don't give a ****. I wrote in concern about the amount of double parking in my street, I got a reply that they wouldn't do anything until there was an accident requiring police investigation. There's a primary school at the end of the street and they've either got rid of or not replaced the lollypop lady on the ratrun so it's a horrendous watch in the mornings.

3 hours ago, jonesy said:

Bloody hell. Not cheap. Depends on the size of the business whether it's worth it, I suppose.

As an aside, there are two local businesses near me where the owner clearly parks outside in the metered bays all day. No sign of a permit in either vehicle. Reckon they just fob off the wardens with freebies/a wee brown envelope?

You can pay on RingGo now and there is nothing displayed on the dash to let you know if they have paid or not. Wardens need to check on their pda if you have paid

On 05/10/2020 at 19:36, graygo said:

So if you opened up an old grave you would find a skeleton with hair? (although not attached)

If the coffin is intact then probably yes as hair decomposes very slowly in the normal atmosphere but if someone is say murdered and just buried in soil then it can decompose in a matter of months depending on the conditions.  

2 hours ago, Des Lynam said:

The mafia game on here. Wtf is it all about?  :lol: 

Trying to be sneaky and remain undetected (if you're a Mafia goon) or trying to find the Mafia goons if you're not.

Say we were playing and I had suspicions that you were a goon I'd post

Vote Des Lynam

Now either I'd be a goon trying to put folk off voting for me or I'd be one of the townspeople trying to rid the town of the goons.

There's various other roles but essentially it's a game of hide and seek where the bad guys are hiding in plain sight but just by their words are trying their best to look innocent or pin badness onto others.

If you're at all deviously minded or want to get away with calling folk a *****  on here then the Mafia game is for you :lol: 

See on some vans and minibuses, the wee black thing that spins around on the roof, sometimes even when the van is parked, engine off etc. What is that for?

10 minutes ago, Rudi Skacel said:

See on some vans and minibuses, the wee black thing that spins around on the roof, sometimes even when the van is parked, engine off etc. What is that for?

Anemometer for measuring wind speed, it means the vehicle has a portable weather station for the met office in it. 

been here before
22 minutes ago, Rudi Skacel said:

Flettner vent.

Used for ventilation when carrying food or animals like dogs and schoolbairns. Polis dog vans have them.

Edited by been here before

3 minutes ago, been here before said:

Flettner vent.

Used for ventilation when carrying food or animals like dogs and schoolbairns. Polis dog vans have them.

FFS. You might have backed me up. 

SectionDJambo
4 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Why is Tesco Extra more expensive than the bigger shops?

I think you mean Tesco Express. I think it’s because they are generally convenience stores, in city or town centres, with consequently bigger overheads. 

7 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

I think you mean Tesco Express. I think it’s because they are generally convenience stores, in city or town centres, with consequently bigger overheads. 

Bigger overheads than a massive tesco? 

All the same stock coming from the same suppliers. 

SectionDJambo
5 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Bigger overheads than a massive tesco? 

All the same stock coming from the same suppliers. 

Really don’t know for sure. I worked for Tesco for years but can’t remember asking. Ultimately, it will be for profit. 
I would imagine that many of the wee shops in the city will be owned by other landlords, charging rent, whereas bigger stores, actually built by Tesco, will be owned by the company.

9 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Really don’t know for sure. I worked for Tesco for years but can’t remember asking. Ultimately, it will be for profit. 
I would imagine that many of the wee shops in the city will be owned by other landlords, charging rent, whereas bigger stores, actually built by Tesco, will be owned by the company.

I've never worked for tesco but i'm the buyer for a wholesale company and i'm going to just stick with my thoughts of, GREEDY *******S. 

21 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

They carry a smaller range of products so don't tend to have the cheapest option and they're stacked towards convenience foods which come with a premium. Also, as you say, their overheads are much bigger per square foot. They probably look at cost per square ft Vs profit per sq ft and in turn need to charge a bit more where that cost is increased.

Supermarkets are incredibly cheap though so can't really take too much umbrage for passing on the cost of convenience to the customer who is seeking convenience.

Edit: their comparative supply chain cost will also be much lower at a large supermarket where they can take artic loads of stock and store it on site vs smaller, more frequent deliveries of stock with less on site storage.

Edited by Taffin

18 minutes ago, Taffin said:

They carry a smaller range of products so don't tend to have the cheapest option and they're stacked towards convenience foods which come with a premium. Also, as you say, their overheads are much bigger per square foot. They probably look at cost per square ft Vs profit per sq ft and in turn need to charge a bit more where that cost is increased.

Supermarkets are incredibly cheap though so can't really take too much umbrage for passing on the cost of convenience to the customer who is seeking convenience.

Edit: their comparative supply chain cost will also be much lower at a large supermarket where they can take artic loads of stock and store it on site vs smaller, more frequent deliveries of stock with less on site storage.

You would think that they would just take the stock in at their bigger shops at lower prices and then deliver it to their smaller shops, and not shaft the customers, but hey, what do i know. 

2 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

You would think that they would just take the stock in at their bigger shops at lower prices and then deliver it to their smaller shops, and not shaft the customers, but hey, what do i know. 

They probably do break it down and disperse it from a Tesco location, but there's still a cost to doing that, even on your own transport. They're not really shafting the customers, the customer doesn't have to pay the cost (transport and time) of going to the out of town supermarket, Tesco pay that cost and pass it on to the customer in order to provide the convenience the customer wants.

Their target market is people picking up lunch during the day or dinner + a couple of distress purchases on their way home from work (toilet roll, shampoo, toothbrush or the like). Most people are happy to pay a little more for that. If you're after cheap, get in the car or on the bus and go to the larger store.

It's less that their Express shops are expensive and more that their big shops are insanely cheap.

I also don't work for Tesco or any supermarket before anyone thinks I'm being biased. It's just guesswork and carry over from where I do work. I may be totally wrong and they're just shafting people but imo they're not.

been here before
10 minutes ago, Taffin said:

...distress purchases on their way home from work (toilet roll, shampoo, toothbrush or the like).

What the **** do these people do at work that distresses them so much they need this shit on the way home ??

3 minutes ago, been here before said:

What the **** do these people do at work that distresses them so much they need this shit on the way home ??

In the sense it's a purchase of necessity, not choice. For example you get up on Monday, realise you forgot to buy toilet roll on your weekly shop so buy some on the way home, or you went to the gym after work and forgot your deodorant so buy some to put on before meeting someone for drinks etc.

Apologies if you were joking and I've just explained away the humour

SectionDJambo
8 hours ago, Taffin said:

They probably do break it down and disperse it from a Tesco location, but there's still a cost to doing that, even on your own transport. They're not really shafting the customers, the customer doesn't have to pay the cost (transport and time) of going to the out of town supermarket, Tesco pay that cost and pass it on to the customer in order to provide the convenience the customer wants.

Their target market is people picking up lunch during the day or dinner + a couple of distress purchases on their way home from work (toilet roll, shampoo, toothbrush or the like). Most people are happy to pay a little more for that. If you're after cheap, get in the car or on the bus and go to the larger store.

It's less that their Express shops are expensive and more that their big shops are insanely cheap.

I also don't work for Tesco or any supermarket before anyone thinks I'm being biased. It's just guesswork and carry over from where I do work. I may be totally wrong and they're just shafting people but imo they're not.

They don’t supply from bigger stores. They deliver to all formats from the same depot. It’s not just Tesco who price their smaller shops in this way. Sainsbury’s do the same, for example.

Ultimately, any business has to make profit or they can’t pay wages to it’s people, or maintain a decent share performance to it’s shareholders. Subsidising outlets which lose money from profitable outlets isn’t a successful model for a big retailer. Each store, no matter the size, is expected to make money, not lose it. This is why Tesco closed so many stores, big and not so big, as part of the recovery plan under Dave Lewis.

The main consistency, that any of the big supermarkets have, is the prices, generally,  stay the same for similar formats, anywhere in the country, despite some remote locations. Delivery to Inverness is much more expensive than to Edinburgh, for example. 

On 12/10/2020 at 15:00, Boof said:

Trying to be sneaky and remain undetected (if you're a Mafia goon) or trying to find the Mafia goons if you're not.

Say we were playing and I had suspicions that you were a goon I'd post

Vote Des Lynam

Now either I'd be a goon trying to put folk off voting for me or I'd be one of the townspeople trying to rid the town of the goons.

There's various other roles but essentially it's a game of hide and seek where the bad guys are hiding in plain sight but just by their words are trying their best to look innocent or pin badness onto others.

If you're at all deviously minded or want to get away with calling folk a *****  on here then the Mafia game is for you :lol: 

Thanks Boof. 

44 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Thanks Boof. 

Meant to include at the end of a game day (usually 9pm for everyones' convenience) whoever has the most votes gets lynched and is out of the game.

Then, during the game 'night', the cop can investigate someone to see if they're good or bad. 

The doc can protect someone from a goon-hit.

The goons get to kill someone and will be cock-a-hoop if they can choose the cop or doc.

Once all that info is PMed to the game organiser they will PM back whatever needs to be known and will restart the game with the next 'day'.

I'll put a sign up sheet for the next game in the Shed. Feel free to join in.

1 hour ago, Greedy Jambo said:

If we evolved from apes, why are there still apes? 

We didn’t evolve from apes. Humans and apes evolved from a shared ancestor 

9 hours ago, mutley said:

We didn’t evolve from apes. Humans and apes evolved from a shared ancestor 

Correct answer. :thumb:

44 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Why do old folk get up at 6am? 

Speaking as someone middle aged who gets up around 5:30, I don’t know. Habit?

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Speaking as someone middle aged who gets up around 5:30, I don’t know. Habit?

Maybe they're frightened that they'll not wake up. 

5.30am? Feck that. 

I've still not been to sleep from yesterday.