Watches

jack D and coke

I wouldn't get anything wider than 40-44mm faces.

Some of the new watches I've seen lately have been way too big and they look ridiculous.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Sten Guns

• cosanostra

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

TamaramaHearts

Have to say the best thing about Patek is that most people do not recognise it or the value. It does help with business, certainly when dealing with the Asian market.

One day ill switch to audemars piguet.

Captain_Peacock

But if Tudor watch looks like a Rolex.

Confused.

Or are there models that look totally unique?

I confess that I'm not up to speed on all current & previous Rolex watch references, looking at the watches Tudor offer at moment there are models that look pretty different, to me at least (to be fair I thought that about the Pelagos & I now realise that's not an opinion that's universally held).

Currently Tudor offer the Heritage Chrono which I think is a modern version of the Tudor Monte Carlo offered in the mid 70's. To me this watch looks different to anything I've seen produced by the sister company Rolex. There seems to be a good amount of watch knowledge on this thread and perhaps others with a better knowledge of Rolex models might come up with something Rolex produced pre Tudor Monte Carlo that's similar, I'd be interested to see it if it exists.

For me 1 plus point for the Tudor is they are willing to offer watches on a rubber strap.

Tudor Heritage Chrono Blue

TudorHeritageChronoBlue-21.jpg?format=750w

I confess that I'm not up to speed on all current & previous Rolex watch references, looking at the watches Tudor offer at moment there are models that look pretty different, to me at least (to be fair I thought that about the Pelagos & I now realise that's not an opinion that's universally held).

Currently Tudor offer the Heritage Chrono which I think is a modern version of the Tudor Monte Carlo offered in the mid 70's. To me this watch looks different to anything I've seen produced by the sister company Rolex. There seems to be a good amount of watch knowledge on this thread and perhaps others with a better knowledge of Rolex models might come up with something Rolex produced pre Tudor Monte Carlo that's similar, I'd be interested to see it if it exists.

For me 1 plus point for the Tudor is they are willing to offer watches on a rubber strap.

Tudor Heritage Chrono Blue

TudorHeritageChronoBlue-21.jpg?format=750w

Tremendous looking retro diver.

I don't know if you have ever been into Russian watches but that's so reminiscent of the Classic Poljot 3133 Okeah. A long time 'grail' of mine. If one appears I may well jump on it but I doubt I'll have the funds for the THC anytime soon.

Great link.

Captain_Peacock

I don't know if you have ever been into Russian watches but that's so reminiscent of the Classic Poljot 3133 Okeah. A long time 'grail' of mine. If one appears I may well jump on it but I doubt I'll have the funds for the THC anytime soon.

I've seen them online and read bits & pieces in terms of reviews but I really have no knowledge when it comes to the various makers, movements etc. I think I've come across various Vostok Amphibia & Raketa's most but couldn't discuss them at any length. They appear to be relativley inexpensive and some of the designs are a bit mental but I think I quite like that.

Edited by Captain_Peacock

Captain_Peacock

I don't know if you have ever been into Russian watches but that's so reminiscent of the Classic Poljot 3133 Okeah.

Great link.

Great spot, I wasn't familiar with the model you posted. Did a quick google image search & I think you're right on the money.

Ricardo Quaresma

$_12.JPG

Think a Hearts man deserves this watch more than the current bidders:

Vintage Trafalgar Swiss Mens Watch 1970s

1HR to go & less than a fiver :)

Been swithering recently whether to invest in a decent watch or not, always fancied a Rolex Oyster Perpetual, something really simple like this

image_115210_SR__5.jpg

Can't say I've ever considered a Tag Heuer, however recently I stumbled across this watch and I can't seem to look past it at the moment, the Carrera Calibre 1887

car2111.ba0720_main.jpg

So now torn as to which I should go for, if I do end up going for one.

Been swithering recently whether to invest in a decent watch or not, always fancied a Rolex Oyster Perpetual, something really simple like this

image_115210_SR__5.jpg

Can't say I've ever considered a Tag Heuer, however recently I stumbled across this watch and I can't seem to look past it at the moment, the Carrera Calibre 1887

car2111.ba0720_main.jpg

like the look of the Rolex, hopefully going to get one the start of next year and that is the kind of watch I fancy

like the look of the Rolex, hopefully going to get one the start of next year and that is the kind of watch I fancy

Yeh, it's been the watch I've had my eye on for the last couple of years, nice and plain, nothing fancy, just never jumped in to buying one yet. Then I stumbled across the Tag recently which has made me think again, but maybe I should just go for the Rolex seeing its the one I've fancied for some time so chances are I'll still like it for a good few years to come yet.

Yeh, it's been the watch I've had my eye on for the last couple of years, nice and plain, nothing fancy, just never jumped in to buying one yet. Then I stumbled across the Tag recently which has made me think again, but maybe I should just go for the Rolex seeing its the one I've fancied for some time so chances are I'll still like it for a good few years to come yet.

have you seen it on sale in Edinburgh and if so how much is it? I think its on here for about ?3600

http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk

Edited by jimmyjambo

have you seen it on sale in Edinburgh and if so how much is it? I think its on here for about ?3600

Last time I looked, a good few months ago, it was in the window of both Hamilton & Inches and Laings (not that exact one in the picture above I don't think, it wasn't a datejust, that was the closest picture I could find though). Was round about ?3500-600 from what I remember.

Edited by jvm32

I'm a bit bored so I've been farting around on e-bay and set myself a target of getting an interesting watch before the end of the night with a budget of ?20 plus postage.

Almost impossible these days unless you use a sniper programme, already seen a couple go with a ?1 increase last second bid.

Last time I looked, a good few months ago, it was in the window of both Hamilton & Inches and Laings (not that exact one in the picture above I don't think, but similar, that was the closest picture I could find). Was round about ?3500-600 from what I remember.

cheers bud, it's exactly what I'm after, something quite plain and not too fancy

cheers bud, it's exactly what I'm after, something quite plain and not too fancy

The one in Hamilton & Inches and Laings was more like this, but with a white face, as I said was about ?3500-600 iirc.

116000-bkaio_300x0.png

The one in Hamilton & Inches and Laings was more like this, but with a white face, as I said was about ?3500-600 iirc.

116000-bkaio_300x0.png

cheers, will try to get up town in the next week or so and have a look, prefer the white face myself

cheers, will try to get up town in the next week or so and have a look, prefer the white face myself

Aye, much prefer the white face as well, thats what I'd be going for as well.

I'm a bit bored so I've been farting around on e-bay and set myself a target of getting an interesting watch before the end of the night with a budget of ?20 plus postage.

Almost impossible these days unless you use a sniper programme, already seen a couple go with a ?1 increase last second bid.

Well that went well. Ended up over budget as I got more frustrated and put a bid of ?31 on a watch quite convinced I'd get sniped. Needless to say I didn't get sniped that time.

Still now the owner of a nice 1960's watch made by Bulova complete with the original case. And postage is free if nothing else.

TamaramaHearts

Well that went well. Ended up over budget as I got more frustrated and put a bid of ?31 on a watch quite convinced I'd get sniped. Needless to say I didn't get sniped that time.

Still now the owner of a nice 1960's watch made by Bulova complete with the original case. And postage is free if nothing else.

What's the deal with sniper programs? Interested to hear more if you would oblige.

Basically a programme that does a last minute bid for you. You set your maximum bid in the programme and it will put a bid in at the last possible moment that is just over the highest bid some else has made. And it won't go to your maximum unless necessary. More efficient than you sitting poised over the bid button.

TamaramaHearts

Basically a programme that does a last minute bid for you. You set your maximum bid in the programme and it will put a bid in at the last possible moment that is just over the highest bid some else has made. And it won't go to your maximum unless necessary. More efficient than you sitting poised over the bid button.

Thanks for that mate. Is it legit to use such? What would happen if two or more separate bidders were all using such a program?

Thanks for that mate. Is it legit to use such? What would happen if two or more separate bidders were all using such a program?

Legit if a little unethical. I'm not sure of the situation with multiple snipers on the same item. I'd imagine it just goes to the person who has set the highest maximum.

TamaramaHearts

Legit if a little unethical. I'm not sure of the situation with multiple snipers on the same item. I'd imagine it just goes to the person who has set the highest maximum.

If I were really wanting to win something from ebay, where might I find such a program.

You guys have too much cash. I couldn't wear something that expensive, I'd be terrified that I'd damage or lose it and a watch as good looking as some of these deserves to be seen.

I've had my eye on an over-sized/men's style watch for a while and absolutely love the Michael Kors rose gold range. The plain ones, not the gaudy sparkly efforts. You watch quality purists will hate it (fossil again?) but when you expect to change watches at some point - ie you're not buying a classic or heirloom - then the fact they're classics which last forever becomes less important.

6ypy6uva.jpg

za7y2epa.jpg

pyhe4uru.jpg

Maybe if I had a few grand spare I'd think differently :biggrin:

If you see any ladies oversized watches on your watch hunting travels then be sure to share a link. I'm less fussed by the brand than by the style.

Edited by redm

image_115210_SR__5.jpg

car2111.ba0720_main.jpg

That's very smiliar to the watch some ***** stole off my wrist in Newcastle a year back, only had it for 2 weeks! ******* raging

TamaramaHearts

You guys have too much cash. I couldn't wear something that expensive, I'd be terrified that I'd damage or lose it and a watch as good looking as some of these deserves to be seen.

I disagree.

My watches were expensive, one an investment to be passed down, the other a good watch for diving. If you can afford to spend the cash, why not.

I disagree.

My watches were expensive, one an investment to be passed down, the other a good watch for diving. If you can afford to spend the cash, why not.

It's not really about spending the cash as such, my worry would be wearing something that expensive when there's a good chance it'll get damaged.

Maybe that's just me, I'm a right clumsy basket.

Plus if I have something nice I'd want to wear it all the time, not lock it away for safekeeping. Pretty things deserve to be seen but I'd be too scared to wear them, that's really what i was getting at.

It's not really about spending the cash as such, my worry would be wearing something that expensive when there's a good chance it'll get damaged.

I bought a TAG Heuer watch over 20 years ago that I wear most days including work. I've a pretty physical job and haven't managed to break it yet. The only part I'd ever worry about damaging would be the bracelet but it has a rubber strap so no worries there. It's had a few good thumps and impacts but just keeps on going. And best of all keeps perfect time.

On the subject of sniper programmes, I've just sat and observed a watch on e-bay go from ?12 to ?49.85 over the course of 3 minutes, with about ?15 of that in the last minute.

jack D and coke

On the subject of sniper programmes, I've just sat and observed a watch on e-bay go from ?12 to ?49.85 over the course of 3 minutes, with about ?15 of that in the last minute.

Should be banned that shit. I've lost a couple of things literally 2 seconds before the end of a bid. Out of order :lol:

Plus if I have something nice I'd want to wear it all the time, not lock it away for safekeeping. Pretty things deserve to be seen but I'd be too scared to wear them, that's really what i was getting at.

Have a look here, if you are thinking of something reasonable and more fashionable then long term.

These watches look quite nice, and have the look of being worth more than they are without them being chessy.

http://secretsales.com/details/Pillola-Ros-Galuchat-rose-goldplated-diamond-watch-592112/?col=7666

Em, insurance?!

Have a look here, if you are thinking of something reasonable and more fashionable then long term.

These watches look quite nice, and have the look of being worth more than they are without them being chessy.

http://secretsales.com/details/Pillola-Ros-Galuchat-rose-goldplated-diamond-watch-592112/?col=7666

Is that a man or woman's watch, there are a lot more tasteful ones for that price. Very gaudy as my old Gran would say!

Decided to treat myself for Christmas. Had a Tag for the best part of 10 years now and until reading up on various forums (this one included) my only real thought was to replace it with another. Considering it's been worn daily over that period of time and had the odd shock and knock along the way, the watch looks remarkably well for it. After a fair bit of research however my head's been turned!

I think I've been swayed towards this

BREITLING%2BCOLT%2B44%2B02.jpg

Breitling Colt 44. It's a tad over my budget but hopefully with a wee bit persuasion I'll get it knocked down to where I'm looking to spend.

I've probably overloaded myself with technical information but the one thing I've picked up on from the majority of people in the know is to go for something with a selfwinding mechanical movement. Unfortunately the Colt 44 is SuperQuartz automatic. Now apart from not having to wind it up and having to get the battery changed every few years what am I missing?

The Superocean has caught my eye as well and I actually prefer the bracelet but for the extra money (not a kick in the arse off a Jimmy Shand) is the mechanical movement worth it? Not sure what else it has over the Colt?

I was going to keep the Tag for work etc but it might end up going to another home in order to raise the extra funds if required. I'm torn between the two at the minute and could do with a bit of advice.

Here's a warning for some.

I've got a 10 yr old Tissot & the pin holding the stainless bracelet to the shank broke. I took it to a couple of shops who said they didn't have a pin for it so I was advised to take it to Laing's in Frederick St who are dealers for them. While going there I thought I would get a loose pin in the bracelet of another watch I have (a 5yr old Omega) fixed at the same time.

10 x weeks later I get the Omega back with a new pin fitted but they say they can't find a pin to fit the Tissot so it's been returned as it was.

I'm currently at work wearing an old Sekonda which has been through the mill, battered, bruised but keeps perfect time & has never had a pin come loose. I also have an old (50's) Rolex supreme oyster back at home which works perfectly.

Pin loose already on a 2.5k Omega

?650 Tissot, useless because of a bloody pin

?45 Sekonda still in good working order despite everything I've thrown at it.

Old Rolex which works no bother when called upon

My advice Stick to a downmarket throwaway for everyday use, invest in an older "proper" timepiece for occasions and bin the idea of buying any of the modern fashionable trash they produce nowadays.

Here's a warning for some.

I've got a 10 yr old Tissot & the pin holding the stainless bracelet to the shank broke. I took it to a couple of shops who said they didn't have a pin for it so I was advised to take it to Laing's in Frederick St who are dealers for them. While going there I thought I would get a loose pin in the bracelet of another watch I have (a 5yr old Omega) fixed at the same time.

10 x weeks later I get the Omega back with a new pin fitted but they say they can't find a pin to fit the Tissot so it's been returned as it was.

I'm currently at work wearing an old Sekonda which has been through the mill, battered, bruised but keeps perfect time & has never had a pin come loose. I also have an old (50's) Rolex supreme oyster back at home which works perfectly.

Pin loose already on a 2.5k Omega

?650 Tissot, useless because of a bloody pin

?45 Sekonda still in good working order despite everything I've thrown at it.

Old Rolex which works no bother when called upon

My advice Stick to a downmarket throwaway for everyday use, invest in an older "proper" timepiece for occasions and bin the idea of buying any of the modern fashionable trash they produce nowadays.

could you not take it to a proper watchmaker and ask if they will make a new pin if they can't source one

could you not take it to a proper watchmaker and ask if they will make a new pin if they can't source one

Laing's are the agents for Tissot & Omega and it was actually mentioned by their repairs guy that they're both owned by Schwartz but not sure about that. Anyway neither Omega or Tissot have a repair centre of there own but use an agent to do all their repairs for them & that's who Laing's sent my watches to. I've no doubt that some little genuine Jeweller somewhere would (or should) be able to modify a pin or something but the fact still remains that I'm left to do the hunting around for something as stupid as a watch pin that an international brand can't be bothered there arse organising for a customer.

Laing's are the agents for Tissot & Omega and it was actually mentioned by their repairs guy that they're both owned by Schwartz but not sure about that. Anyway neither Omega or Tissot have a repair centre of there own but use an agent to do all their repairs for them & that's who Laing's sent my watches to. I've no doubt that some little genuine Jeweller somewhere would (or should) be able to modify a pin or something but the fact still remains that I'm left to do the hunting around for something as stupid as a watch pin that an international brand can't be bothered there arse organising for a customer.

Totally understand your frustration, a decent watchmaker is probably the way to go then

Captain_Peacock

Decided to treat myself for Christmas. Had a Tag for the best part of 10 years now and until reading up on various forums (this one included) my only real thought was to replace it with another. Considering it's been worn daily over that period of time and had the odd shock and knock along the way, the watch looks remarkably well for it. After a fair bit of research however my head's been turned!

I think I've been swayed towards this

Breitling Colt 44. It's a tad over my budget but hopefully with a wee bit persuasion I'll get it knocked down to where I'm looking to spend.

I've probably overloaded myself with technical information but the one thing I've picked up on from the majority of people in the know is to go for something with a selfwinding mechanical movement. Unfortunately the Colt 44 is SuperQuartz automatic. Now apart from not having to wind it up and having to get the battery changed every few years what am I missing?

The Superocean has caught my eye as well and I actually prefer the bracelet but for the extra money (not a kick in the arse off a Jimmy Shand) is the mechanical movement worth it? Not sure what else it has over the Colt?

I was going to keep the Tag for work etc but it might end up going to another home in order to raise the extra funds if required. I'm torn between the two at the minute and could do with a bit of advice.

In general terms watches with mechanical movements are more sought after & so hold their value better. Most quartz watches are less likely to be damaged by impact than their mechanical counterparts also not prone to becoming "magnatised". Battery powered watches will have to have their batteries changed periodically but by the same token mechanical watches do require servicing also. When it comes down to it's personal preference, I prefer mechanical watches but each to their own.

If I was looking at a quartz watch I think I'd give this one a go.

DSC_6240.jpg

Captain_Peacock

Just to add JyTEES that an automatic self winding watch mainspring is powered by the motion of the wearer's arm and wouldn't require manual winding.

Captain_Peacock

Sorry to reply yet again Jytees, I'd been under the impression the Colt was considered the "entry" level watch in the range & that the Superocean was considered to be further up the pecking order. I could however be wrong on that score as I'm not up to speed on all things Breitling, there seems to be a few fans of the brand here who I'm sure will set the story straight.

If it was me, I'd go for the mechanical movement but as I said before your watch, your choice.

Out of interest is your current Tag Heur quartz?

*Edited to add the Heur as I know that doesn't go down well here*

I hope some of the experts on here can help me, I have been looking at the Rolex Oyster Perpetual (as in post 309) and quite fancied it, its an automatic movement, if it was'nt worn how long would this last before it would stop and the time have to be reset and then manually wound up? any info would be great.

Cheers :thumbsup:

I hope some of the experts on here can help me, I have been looking at the Rolex Oyster Perpetual (as in post 309) and quite fancied it, its an automatic movement, if it was'nt worn how long would this last before it would stop and the time have to be reset and then manually wound up? any info would be great.

Cheers :thumbsup:

A quality automatic watch will have a power reserve of between 48 & 72 hours. You can buy auto winder storage units if you don't intend to wear it every day.