What do we do if Locke continues to struggle?

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fermit the Krog

Yes he could have wasted the clubs money on numerous young foreign players, paying extortionate salaries and fees to agents, producing nothing for the first team squad, he could have recommended the signing of Sutton and others......................he could have done all that and still he would have done more than Gary Locke to deserve the managers post...........wait a minute, he did do all that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Darren Murray, I was referring to. Not John.

Fermit the Krog

Care to expand Igor........

Darren Murray at least had experience of setting up his own team.

Jambos_1874

Locke should be given the benefit of the doubt for now. He's only just in the job and hasn't had any opportunity to bring in players. I just don't know how he's going to turn things around though: we're in no position to bring in better players, there's a large number of players out of contract in the summer and our squad is very young and inexperienced (as is our manager). I'm expecting a long, hard 2013/14 season and am pretty confident that we'll be in the bottom half of the lleague.

The Comedian

Locke til the end of the season I can understand. Until the end of next season I can't. The club is steering through choppy sea's, a rookie coach (He's not a manager FFS) is a hiding to nothing.

We are looking at a high player turnaround next season. It's critical we recruit well. Will Locke have final say in that or will Murray call the shots? We just don't know.

If we could have had Houston he's a dreadful appointment IMO. Above all the things going on do we really need an inexperienced Locke added in too? No, we don't.

Locke til the end of the season I can understand. Until the end of next season I can't. The club is steering through choppy sea's, a rookie coach (He's not a manager FFS) is a hiding to nothing.

We are looking at a high player turnaround next season. It's critical we recruit well. Will Locke have final say in that or will Murray call the shots? We just don't know.

If we could have had Houston he's a dreadful appointment IMO. Above all the things going on do we really need an inexperienced Locke added in too? No, we don't.

He should have been given until the end of the season to prove he can do it. I can only assume as half the players are eying the door already he has been given an extra season instead.

3yrs of bottom six await imo. Good time to blood the youth and build a strong team. Not sure Locke will be capable though and we could end up looking for someone else 6wks into the new season.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

If it was down to a choice of Houston or Locke I'd have taken Houston every time. Imo, we needed an experienced manager who could stop us leaking goals and make us look like a team that can threaten going forward.

The decision to appoint Locke was unexplained, it just makes you wonder why Houston didn't get it seeing as how it was basically 99% sorted. Hopefully today shows that we don't have the players to play 4-4-2 and that we need to try and persist with the 4-3-3 that the younger lads are used to and get us playing with a bit more freedom in advanced areas.

Our confidence is shot to pieces right now, something needs to change.

We need about 6 new signings minimum to transform our squad, with a goal scorer and a midfield playmaker at the top of that list.

Without new player it doesn't matter who is manager as we are absolutely dreadful.

Feed The Goat

People need to look at the bigger picture here

Lockie is working with possibly the worst squad of players at Hearts since vlad rode into town!! A major clear out is needed with players coming that are on decent money (?1k a week say) who are hungry to prove themselves at this level. Theirs plenty guys out their in the SFL that I personally think could do a job who would benefit the squad and work harder than some of the guff that is gracing the pitch right now

Fermit the Krog

People need to look at the bigger picture here

Lockie is working with possibly the worst squad of players at Hearts since vlad rode into town!! A major clear out is needed with players coming that are on decent money (?1k a week say) who are hungry to prove themselves at this level. Theirs plenty guys out their in the SFL that I personally think could do a job who would benefit the squad and work harder than some of the guff that is gracing the pitch right now

Aye, that doesn't mean he (Lockie) hasn't made mistakes though.

Lets be honest, the club is a fackin mess. Too much upheaval has gone on and the season is over in many ways apart from playing for pride.

Locke needs his own pre -season with the players. I don`t know what situ we`ll be in with transfers come the summer, but he needs to someway be able to offload a few players so he can freshen up the squad with hopefully better quality. I know there will be contract issues however with certain players.

He needs time to instill his methods and attitude into the team and drum it into them, especially the character part. He needs that thinking time to workout who`s going to be his first picks and who he`s going to the build the team around....WE CAN`T afford a shambolic close season.......Romanov needs to decide wtf is happening asap.

Fermit the Krog

Lets be honest, the club is a fackin mess. Too much upheaval has gone on and the season is over in many ways apart from playing for pride.

Locke needs his own pre -season with the players. I don`t know what situ we`ll be in with transfers come the summer, but he needs to someway be able to offload a few players so he can freshen up the squad with hopefully better quality. I know there will be contract issues however with certain players.

He needs time to instill his methods and attitude into the team and drum it into them, especially the character part. He needs that thinking time to workout who`s going to be his first picks and who he`s going to the build the team around....WE CAN`T afford a shambolic close season.......Romanov needs to decide wtf is happening asap.

He's been first team coach for about 4 years now. He's had plenty opportunity to instill what it's all about (re your attitude and character comment) It's not that thats the worry tbh.

The thought of him having his own pre season with a Heart of Midlothian team scares me shitless.

Clerry Jambo

He's been first team coach for about 4 years now. He's had plenty opportunity to instill what it's all about (re your attitude and character comment) It's not that thats the worry tbh.

The thought of him having his own pre season with a Heart of Midlothian team scares me shitless.

But you are calling for Darren Murray, that makes me :wtf:

Fermit the Krog

But you are calling for Darren Murray, that makes me :wtf:

Who's calling for Darren Murray?

I said it could be argued he's more qualified for the job than GL given he has managed his own team.

:wtf: away. :D

Clerry Jambo

Who's calling for Darren Murray?

I said it could be argued he's more qualified for the job than GL given he has managed his own team.

:wtf: away. :D

What managed an U19 side, FFS Igor, have we fallen that much??

What we should be looking for is a mentor for Locke, in the way that Sandy Clark is for Magic at QOS.

What we should be looking for is a mentor for Locke, in the way that Sandy Clark is for Magic at QOS.

Pasquale Bruno..........as well as red hot italian passion, streetwise Italian tactics and defending.........However, i say that just as the first name that came in my head. Is Pasquale not an agent these days and hasn`t been involved in the playing side for a good while?

Locke should be given the benefit of the doubt for now. He's only just in the job and hasn't had any opportunity to bring in players. I just don't know how he's going to turn things around though: we're in no position to bring in better players, there's a large number of players out of contract in the summer and our squad is very young and inexperienced (as is our manager). I'm expecting a long, hard 2013/14 season and am pretty confident that we'll be in the bottom half of the lleague.

Next season will be tough - but as long as we have a group of players who are not on ridiculous wages and who show the desire to play for the jersey - I can live with us finding it tough.

What I cannot stand is a squad of players who are paid more than any team apart from Celtic but are clearly nowhere near good enough.

As for those having a go at Locke, for goodness sake give the guy a chance. He should at the very least be given until the end of this calendar year. Locke himself said today that the team will look very different by the start of next season.

Fermit the Krog

:rofl:

From the Hearts supporting manager of Raith rovers taking over a week to accept our offer, to us appointing a coach who has never managed at any level, I reckon it's pretty clear how far we've fallen.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Relegated. :laugh:

I mind when this place used to be good.

If Dundee were half decent we would be messed. And that is with Captain Zal and Gowser for a decent part of the season.

We are woeful. Can't recall the last time we had a side as bad as this.

Nookie Bear

Relegated. :laugh:

I mind when this place used to be good.

Seriouslu, you don't think it's a possibility?

I think the squad will be pretty similar to this seasons. Maybe slightly weaker.

Really can't see us signing many players.

Houston was told he had to drop the players wage bill by 20%, so fresh faces will be of low calibre.

From the Hearts supporting manager of Raith rovers taking over a week to accept our offer, to us appointing a coach who has never managed at any level, I reckon it's pretty clear how far we've fallen.

:lol:

If the club invited applications they would be inundated with applications from high calibre managers, as would just about every SPL club.

The Old Tolbooth

Not sure why you're laughing to be honest, Igor was bang on in his reply, it's most definitely a measure of how far we've fallen.

I like Lockie, and I'd love to think he would be a success at Hearts, however the decision to appoint him smacks of sheer desperation, especially when we had Houston (a tried and tested SPL manager) in place to take over. I could have understood it if he was appointed until the end of THIS season and then we could take stock, however he's been appointed until the end of next season, and it's a feckin mystery to me as to why that's happened!

Is it because we can't actually afford a "proper" manager any more? The people who are running ruining our club into the ground have already proven they can't be trusted to make the most basic of decisions without making an arse of it and spouting lies to the fans, there is actually no one left at Hearts who actually knows what the hell they're doing any more, and that's why we've ended up with McGlynn, and latterly Lockie, as managers!

Sad times!

The Old Tolbooth

If the club invited applications they would be inundated with applications from high calibre managers, as would just about every SPL club.

Apparently they had over 50 applicants, and chose Lockie, I'll let you work that one out :wacko:

Not sure why you're laughing to be honest, Igor was bang on in his reply, it's most definitely a measure of how far we've fallen.

I like Lockie, and I'd love to think he would be a success at Hearts, however the decision to appoint him smacks of sheer desperation, especially when he had Houston (a tried and tested SPL manager) in place to take over. I could have understood it if he was appointed until the end of THIS season and then we could take stock, however he's been appointed until the end of next season, and it's a feckin mystery to me as to why that's happened!

Is it because we can't actually afford a "proper" manager any more? The people who are running ruining our club into the ground have already proven they can't be trusted to make the most basic of decisions without making an arse of it and spouting lies to the fans, there is actually no one left at Hearts who actually knows what the hell they're doing any more, and that's why we've ended up with McGlynn, and latterly Lockie, as managers!

Sad times!

There are numerous experienced good managers out of work across Europe who would jump at the chance to manage a high profile club such as Hearts, financial mess or not.

I'm not suggesting Arsene Wenger calibre, but to say we are only capable of hiring an U19 calibre manager is quite frankly laughable, so yes, I was spot on with my :rofl:

In fact, here's some more for good measure.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Apparently they had over 50 applicants, and chose Lockie, I'll let you work that one out :wacko:

So we had 50 applications from youth team managers?

Locke should never have been given a contract into next season. The guy has no experience as a manager yet has been put in charge of our team during a very tricky period. I don't think we need somebody with tons of experience but at least somebody who has managed at some level.

The Old Tolbooth

There are numerous experienced good managers out of work across Europe who would jump at the chance to manage a high profile club such as Hearts, financial mess or not.

I'm not suggesting Arsene Wenger calibre, but to say we are only capable of hiring an U19 calibre manager is quite frankly laughable, so yes, I was spot on with my :rofl:

You keep your head in the sand, whilst the rest of us appreciate the position we're actually in, there's a good lad.

head-in-sand.jpg

Nookie Bear

Hearts "high-profile" ?

We are small fry in the world of British football, which is where we compete for management talent, and probably rank alongside Coventry and Preston in terms of profile these days.

The Old Tolbooth

So we had 50 applications from youth team managers?

Now you're just being silly, on the vino tonight? I don't blame you to be honest.

Fermit the Krog

Yes, but the club don't.

You keep your head in the sand, whilst the rest of us appreciate the position we're actually in, there's a good lad.

head-in-sand.jpg

I am fully aware of our position thanks.

You have already stated we had over 50 applicants, so our stock hasn't fallen so far as to only attract youth team managers.

And from what I can gather Houston would be our manager right now but for the intervention of Vlad.

Now you're just being silly, on the vino tonight? I don't blame you to be honest.

Not at all. I was responding to a poster suggesting U19 managers was now our level. You chose to jump in. I am clearly pointing out that we have no problem attracting a higher calibre manager than purely those at U19 level.

The club chose to promote from within and I understand why. Locke is a die hard Hearts man who has been around the club long enough to have a rapport with the board as well as having a good relationship with the playing staff.

It was a logical choice.

No more illogical than making Alex Macdonald player/manager for example.

Fermit the Krog

Vlad rejected Peter Houston and appointed Lockie.

If I may....

Vlad rejected Peter Houston and appointed Lockie.

If I may....

Ok, the club agreed a deal with Houston and the "board" overruled it. Bizarre situation.

The Old Tolbooth

Not at all. I was responding to a poster suggesting U19 managers was now our level. You chose to jump in. I am clearly pointing out that we have no problem attracting a higher calibre manager than purely those at U19 level.

The club chose to promote from within and I understand why. Locke is a die hard Hearts man who has been around the club long enough to have a rapport with the board as well as having a good relationship with the playing staff.

It was a logical choice.

No more illogical than making Alex Macdonald player/manager for example.

A decent post to be fair, however it's still a measure of how far "as a club" we've fallen when we hire Lockie instead of Houston (or even entertain some of the other 49 or so candidates), I take your point on board that our "stock" is still highly regarded however, and there would be people willing to do the job if we were able to pay a wage, I think our wires crossed a wee bit there and apologies for that, but as a club, we're pretty much messed when we're offering Lockie the job until the end of next season.

On the plus side, we should lose tons of players at the end of the season and there should be some budget there for Lockie to start again and build a team, it's not a job I'd trust him with at this early stage in his career to be honest, but then the people running the club haven't been making sound decisions for years now, so it's probably to be expected. I can only hope that the club somehow manages to change hands sometime soon and we can start again.

Fermit the Krog

That's what John Mitchell said a few posts ago.

He was intelligent enough to use the word 'apparently'.

Franklin Delano Bluth

Sick of the players being total shite tbh.

Players with no heart, no effort, and no pride. They hid today, just like they did a couple of weeks ago in the second half of the cup final.

Doesn't matter about the manager, the players are total shitebags.

Fermit the Krog

Ok, the club agreed a deal with Houston and the "board" overruled it.

According to whom?

A decent post to be fair, however it's still a measure of how far "as a club" we've fallen when we hire Lockie instead of Houston (or even entertain some of the other 49 or so candidates), I take your point on board that our "stock" is still highly regarded however, and there would be people willing to do the job if we were able to pay a wage, I think our wires crossed a wee bit there and apologies for that, but as a club, we're pretty much messed when we're offering Lockie the job until the end of next season.

On the plus side, we should lose tons of players at the end of the season and there should be some budget there for Lockie to start again and build a team, it's not a job I'd trust him with at this early stage in his career to be honest, but then the people running the club haven't been making sound decisions for years now, so it's probably to be expected. I can only hope that the club somehow manages to change hands sometime soon and we can start again.

John, I know we are financially screwed right now. It just pisses me off when the drama queens exaggerate things and make out we are now a nothing club. We are still a high profile club with the 3rd biggest crowds in the country, and we will rise again.

According to whom?

You are starting to really bore me now. It was widely reported at the time, but no, I wasn't in the room when it happened so I can't personally confirm it.

Archived