What do we do if Locke continues to struggle?

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

We can surely only assess the man's competence after this silly embargo is lifted, we've signed some experienced pro's and he's had a real chance to shape and influence his own team.

He's inherited a team of kids plus about 4 fit players with experience. Currently I've learned to expect defeat most weeks, and whilst this isnt befitting a club such as ours, its a view a realist must take.

This season was a write off post-Liverpool, final aside, next year is the time to make real assessments. If we reshape the squad, strengthen in key areas( maybe by poaching some out of contract SPL players and paying them appropriate salaries) and reduce the wage bill overall, it gives him a solid base to work from.

Judge him then.

If all we do is get another couple of loans in and he loses more experienced players, then he and anyone else who comes in after him is taking us down.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We can surely only assess the man's competence after this silly embargo is lifted, we've signed some experienced pro's and he's had a real chance to shape and influence his own team.

He's inherited a team of kids plus about 4 fit players with experience. Currently I've learned to expect defeat most weeks, and whilst this isnt befitting a club such as ours, its a view a realist must take.

This season was a write off post-Liverpool, final aside, next year is the time to make real assessments. If we reshape the squad, strengthen in key areas( maybe by poaching some out of contract SPL players and paying them appropriate salaries) and reduce the wage bill overall, it gives him a solid base to work from.

Judge him then.

If all we do is get another couple of loans in and he loses more experienced players, then he and anyone else who comes in after him is taking us down.

good post but someone will be along just now to say we should play 4-5-1 and everything will be ok............ :curtain:

BRAVEHEART1874

Well we will certainly not be re-hiring mcglynn thank god time to move on ;) locke is here for a bit anyways and let's see how he deals with Sutton / ngoo playing gash at the moment

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Well we will certainly not be re-hiring mcglynn thank god time to move on ;) locke is here for a bit anyways and let's see how he deals with Sutton / ngoo playing gash at the moment

My guess is he'll deal with it by just kind of like playing them anyway and seeing what happens.

Judge him then.

Totally agreed. Locke has been thrown in the deep end and needs time in the summer to build. The job to be done at Hearts needs stability and a plan. If Locke is to go it has to be this summer or next. Had Houston or McInnes had been appointed I'd have said the same. We need a manager in for more than 18 months to build. No more mid-season sackings for me.

Good to see you rolling out the "we'll score more goals playing 4-4-2" myth in your first line. Our biggest win of the season is 3-0, what formation did we play that day? 4-4-1-1. We got to a cup final playing five in midfield and won a small handful of games playing 2 up top. We're not exactly free scoring at the moment are we?

We are leaking goals due to our defence being out of form and like I said in my previous post, our midfield being over-run. Our entire midfield was taken out the game by one pass before Aberdeen's first goal yesterday.

If we're picking a system to suit our squad then the only option is a five man midfield. Don't say the youngsters? They are the future of this club and we've been told all season that we'll need to put young guys into the team. Our best prospect is sitting on the bench ffs! We have some talented players and we're wasting them in this system.

Your midfield can be cut out completely if theres 2,3,4,5 or 6...

Here's why we lose games, we cant finish. We lost the final because we couldn't finish. Goals change games for you. You dont finish you dont gain the advantage and dont win. Wasnt in Aberdeen but we shouldve been at least 3 up in the final. Had that happened then the cup was ours. We simply have terrible forwards with no one coming through to change that. 2 up front gives us a greater chance one of them actually bundling it over the line.

I have time for both Sutton and Ngoo but neither is on form. Neither has done enough to warrant being kept (and i wanted Sutton in earlier this year).

We need to sign players of a reasonable calibre or we will go down. St Mirren, Killie, County and Aberdeen all have good midfielders who are smart, dynamic and creative. We have Taouil and Holt. One isnt as good as the others in the SPL and one is clearly not thought to be ready for a full 90 by the coaching staff. We need a couple of forwards (Wallace/Graham/Doolan/Taylor/Thompson types) for next year. We need a couple of defenders (right back/centre back) to ensure we dont slip into SFL 1.

Whatever formation we play is irrelevant and dependent on the opposition. You dont play the same way every game. You get found out that way. Like we did earlier this season. 3-0 aside we got to tge final by penalties and failed to score for over a month as a result of dogmatic adherence to 4-5-1.

Jambo ian 1874-------------gies a break mate. The semi final? The one we won on penalties?

The formation argument is now embarrassing. Its like a school playground on here over it.

You say our biggest win was 3-0 with 4411? The law of averages probably says yer going to win sometime with it. But most of the time we struggled with it.

Why are people so adamant we play this formation? Where`s the evidence it was or is working?

I`m all for any formation that works but many are missing the point, we severely lack in certain areas in personel. One of the better performances i`ve saw from us was actually under McGlynn with a 4-4-2 in the league cup tie v United. We dominated them for most of the match and even with ten menwe still looked more likely until it went to pens.

But again we didn`t win in normal time. That`s maybe harsh but over the season its proving we don`t have enough forceful players in midfield and lacked genuine frontmen for too long.

jamboinglasgow

Jambo ian 1874-------------gies a break mate. The semi final? The one we won on penalties?

The formation argument is now embarrassing. Its like a school playground on here over it.

You say our biggest win was 3-0 with 4411? The law of averages probably says yer going to win sometime with it. But most of the time we struggled with it.

Why are people so adamant we play this formation? Where`s the evidence it was or is working?

I`m all for any formation that works but many are missing the point, we severely lack in certain areas in personel. One of the better performances i`ve saw from us was actually under McGlynn with a 4-4-2 in the league cup tie v United. We dominated them for most of the match and even with ten menwe still looked more likely until it went to pens.

But again we didn`t win in normal time. That`s maybe harsh but over the season its proving we don`t have enough forceful players in midfield and lacked genuine frontmen for too long.

You go on about us not have the players to play 4-5-1 and at the same use the example of us having our best game with 4-4-2, a game where of the 14 who played, 6 are now injured or have left the club. The point of the argument about playing 4-5-1 (or as I prefer 4-3-3) is that it is a formation our more technical youngsters are used to playing and suited. We have Holt a player we can build a team around, you have the midfield key to the team, they can help out the defence and also get forward quickly to attack. But the insistance on 4-4-2 is based on an view of the need for 2 strikers as strikers equal goals. Its a top heavy formation where if the midfield is not built carefully it can be overpowered.

My view is that we have played 4-5-1 this season mainly defensively after earlier the season when we dominated games and chances but were often lost out to the oppositions few attacks, I just want to give it another go but using the players who can play it and giving the freedom to attack and putting emphasis of moving the ball quickly when getting forward and playing Ngoo in his best posistion.

FarmerTweedy

JJ please.

Somebody else has probably already commented on this but remember that it was JJ that brought in Taouil, Sutton and Grainger on 3 year deals on inflated wages. I find it hard to see what he'd be able to offer the club in a DoF role.

Fermit the Krog

Somebody else has probably already commented on this but remember that it was JJ that brought in Taouil, Sutton and Grainger on 3 year deals on inflated wages. I find it hard to see what he'd be able to offer the club in a DoF role.

Though jj wouldn't have been the one who decided upon contract lengths and salaries.......

Dave The Rave

H.M.F.C season 2012 /13 - the truth revealed and myths dismissed

No, we are not a top 4 team and our squad is genuinely poor

Locke - should not have been anywhere near getting appointed - what experience does he have?

Houston - is a good manager and should have got the job - see success with Dundee utd

Sutton - terrible

Ngoo - see Sutton (not quite as bad but so overrated on here it is unreal)

Mchattie - v good young LB, best of the youngsters - watch him - he has had some unjustified criticism this season on here

Walker - overrated ( good player yes but some on here would think you having he was the next messi)

Mehdi - actually a decent player

McDonald - solid and reliable keeper

Barr - pish

Not quite strictly on the Locke management situation but puts a few things into perspective

Francis Albert

All for giving Lockie a chance but if McGlynn had come out with "the game would have been different if we'd scored" comment attributed to Gary on the official site this board would have had rofl smilies all over it.

H.M.F.C season 2012 /13 - the truth revealed and myths dismissed

No, we are not a top 4 team and our squad is genuinely poor

Locke - should not have been anywhere near getting appointed - what experience does he have?

Houston - is a good manager and should have got the job - see success with Dundee utd

Sutton - terrible

Ngoo - see Sutton (not quite as bad but so overrated on here it is unreal)

Mchattie - v good young LB, best of the youngsters - watch him - he has had some unjustified criticism this season on here

Walker - overrated ( good player yes but some on here would think you having he was the next messi)

Mehdi - actually a decent player

McDonald - solid and reliable keeper

Barr - pish

Not quite strictly on the Locke management situation but puts a few things into perspective

I find it hard to take somones views seriously when they come out with that. Myths dismissed and truths revealed????? IMHO should have followed cos that is all you have written i.e your opinion and for what its worth I disagree with most comments but do agree with some but thats merely my opinion I havent conclusively revealed anything.

For whats its worth Sutton is terrible, Lockie should have gotten to the end of this season only, Ngoo doesnt look composed enough, Houston isnt for me, Taouil is far too inconsistent and McHattie has exposed us on occasion but is still young and would not be in if Grainger hadent gotten injured, Walker has loads of potential but too early to say if he will make it. All IMHO off course

Oh aye Barr isnt good enough so we agree on that but how you can think Mcdonald is good enough is beyond me. We have been used to keepers who save something when the chips are down and pull one out, Jamie Mac is the opposite unless it straight at him he is unlikely to save, has had good games I agree but rarely does what the likes of Gordon, Niemi or Kello has done and made a game changing save,

I find it hard to take somones views seriously when they come out with that. Myths dismissed and truths revealed????? IMHO should have followed cos that is all you have written i.e your opinion and for what its worth I disagree with most comments but do agree with some but thats merely my opinion I havent conclusively revealed anything.

For whats its worth Sutton is terrible, Lockie should have gotten to the end of this season only, Ngoo doesnt look composed enough, Houston isnt for me, Taouil is far too inconsistent and McHattie has exposed us on occasion but is still young and would not be in if Grainger hadent gotten injured, Walker has loads of potential but too early to say if he will make it. All IMHO off course

Oh aye Barr isnt good enough so we agree on that but how you can think Mcdonald is good enough is beyond me. We have been used to keepers who save something when the chips are down and pull one out, Jamie Mac is the opposite unless it straight at him he is unlikely to save, has had good games I agree but rarely does what the likes of Gordon, Niemi or Kello has done and made a game changing save,

Jamie Macdonald is one of the better keepers in the league. The keepers you mention are a throwback to the days of overspending and look where that got us. As for your point on game changing saves I raise you the penalty save in the Scottish cup quarter final last season. It's the defence that has been the issue recently we clearly miss zal and Wilson is a left back.

Jamie Macdonald is one of the better keepers in the league. The keepers you mention are a throwback to the days of overspending and look where that got us. As for your point on game changing saves I raise you the penalty save in the Scottish cup quarter final last season. It's the defence that has been the issue recently we clearly miss zal and Wilson is a left back.

Thats my point though re opinions. Clearly you rate Jamie I dont. We could discuss all day his saves and errors, for example the goal that wasnt v Hubz recently? if JMc had not been to far to his left and 4-5 yards off his line thats a simple catch. I do accept there has been games where he has been good but all in all his errors outway his good games IMO, in the final recently he was down on one knee going to his right almost before the guy struck the third goal to his left.

I simply dont see us going forward with a keeper the standard of Jamie Mac although I take your point re defence also. If Zal hadnt gotten injured it would not have been highlighted and its obvious that Wilson and Webster currently cant play together and that Wilson in particular needs a significant improvement, yes his better performances were at LB

Snake Plissken

Locke's appointment was just another terrible decision in a series of terrible decisions which have made this the worst season in the last 20 years.

I truly hope he can turn it around and get some wins between now and the end of the season but it's just not going to happen, is it? If we get more than two wins between now and the end of the season, I'll be stunned.

Nookie Bear

Locke's appointment was just another terrible decision in a series of terrible decisions which have made this the worst season in the last 20 years.

I truly hope he can turn it around and get some wins between now and the end of the season but it's just not going to happen, is it? If we get more than two wins between now and the end of the season, I'll be stunned.

I think 2007-8 was worse but we had a stronger squad to begin with and got away with it.

As for his mentor - sadly it was JJ - in his time he did a job but football has moved on and Hearts have been left behind

No idea what the answer is but it never was GL

I thought a non Hearts connection - maybe English Champonship level would have been an idea

Franklin Delano Bluth

I think 2007-8 was worse but we had a stronger squad to begin with and got away with it.

We're 11th in one of the worst SPLs in living memory, being saved by a first division team which hasn't adapted to SPL football. This is bad.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

It's all very well and good saying bide our time, see who he signs...etc

When Levein took over, the performances immediately improved.

2nd time around when JJ took over, without signing anyone- performances imrpoved.

Could we do with new players? Yes, but we really can't afford them.

We need a team which is well setup and managed. We don't have that.

I will be judging Locke on how he sets up the team.

Not the formation.

But how every aspect of the team functions.

Nookie Bear

We're 11th in one of the worst SPLs in living memory, being saved by a first division team which hasn't adapted to SPL football. This is bad.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, I was thinking in terms of the decision-making which was horrific back then.

I don;t think what is happening now is even 'decision-making', it's just 'drifting'.

I was reading some comments online by Dons supporting mates and they were genuinely taken aback by how toothless and gutless we were. Said they hadn't spotted one teeny bit of fight from any of our lot and it threw them a bit. They weren't trolling either....

Locke was a stupid appointment back then and it's still a stupid appointment now. Still can't get my head around the enthusiasm the announcement was generally met with. Crazy. I'm still sure they appointed him because they thought he'd get more in the way of patience from the fans but I think they might be surprised when they realise that patience isn't likely to stretch beyond the end of this season.

P.S. the idea of Locke getting a pre season gives me the fear, never mind being allowed to select his own new players. Argh. No ta.

grumpyespana

To be honest here if we have new owners by the start of next season Lockie will be back as a coach under the new manager.

Brian snr.

boy_in_maroon

This season was always going to be tough

There are issues needing to be resolved re ownership etc which despite what some think do impact upon the players.

However in saying that the club should be embarressed when clubs with less than half our playing budget are up to 20 points ahead of us.

There is nothing to stop us boosting the squad and matching /exceeding Motherwell for example next season..........................other than poor scouting and preparation that is.

So lets see what our football director and his scouting network have up their sleeves for next season.

The one good thing from this season is the young players have been given experience of the SPL and you would hope the development as they grow stronger and bigger will help next season and beyond.

Who we sign will in many ways determine where we finish next season...........Aberdeen without the goals of McGinn, Hibs without Griffiths, Inverness without Mckay, Motherwell without Higdon all show the importnce of having a regular goalscorer in the SPL.............that is often the difference... solve that and we have players who can make it a far better season.

With Rudi we would have finished top 6 and won the League cup... to me it is that simple.

Well said that man :bravo:

Francis Albert

I was reading some comments online by Dons supporting mates and they were genuinely taken aback by how toothless and gutless we were. Said they hadn't spotted one teeny bit of fight from any of our lot and it threw them a bit. They weren't trolling either....

Locke was a stupid appointment back then and it's still a stupid appointment now. Still can't get my head around the enthusiasm the announcement was generally met with. Crazy. I'm still sure they appointed him because they thought he'd get more in the way of patience from the fans but I think they might be surprised when they realise that patience isn't likely to stretch beyond the end of this season.

Just suffered watching a rerun the whole game on Alba and I don't think "gutless" is fair - our effort matched that of Aberdeen, but god knows what our formation and game plan was, and our lack of organisation and pace all over the pitch was glaring. If Sutton was meant to be playing up front with Ngoo you could have fooled me ... and I suspect Ngoo (who incidentally we have in a few weeks converted into the same hapless striker as all the others who have played up front for the last few years). McGlynn from day one was derided as a a rabbit in the headlights; Locke's popularity is delaying the recognition that he is a fan on the sidelines. Reminds me of the equally idiotic appointments of Sandy Clark and John Robertson.

shaun.lawson

Locke's popularity is delaying the recognition that he is a fan on the sidelines. Reminds me of the equally idiotic appointments of Sandy Clark and John Robertson.

Them's fighting words on 'ere. In both cases, but Clark's especially.

Don't think there is any doubt that unless there are major changes to the squad that results will be poor.

By far the worst squad relative to the rest of the league since the early 1980s. Would take a managerial star to offset that poor quality.

I predict that just like with McGlynn, there will be howls about Gary Locke from those who just won't recognise that the squad is terrible.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Jeezo you're like a broken record, twisting everything to justify your preferred formation.

So because we had 4-5-1 for that 3-0 win against dundee utd in September, that means we should play 4-5-1 in every match this season, aye!? Do you not remember the series of games playing your favourite formation when we didn't even create any chances, let alone score any goals.

Like others, I am not obsessed with one formation over another, I just feel that we do not currently have a forward on the books who can play the '1' in 4-5-1. We have tried Patterson, Sutton and Ngoo and its not worked. As a result, we need two strikers suppporting each other and creating chances, unfortunately our strikers just do not take chances anyway.

Michael Ngoo scored 3 goals in 4 games playing as a lone striker. He has scored 0 goals in 5 games playing in a front two. Not worked? Come on now.

As for "twisting everything to suit my preferred formation", I'm able to realise that 4-5-1/4-3-3 or whatever you want to call it has its benefits and that 4-4-2 does not solve all the problems.

Your midfield can be cut out completely if theres 2,3,4,5 or 6...

Here's why we lose games, we cant finish. We lost the final because we couldn't finish. Goals change games for you. You dont finish you dont gain the advantage and dont win. Wasnt in Aberdeen but we shouldve been at least 3 up in the final. Had that happened then the cup was ours. We simply have terrible forwards with no one coming through to change that. 2 up front gives us a greater chance one of them actually bundling it over the line.

I have time for both Sutton and Ngoo but neither is on form. Neither has done enough to warrant being kept (and i wanted Sutton in earlier this year).

We need to sign players of a reasonable calibre or we will go down. St Mirren, Killie, County and Aberdeen all have good midfielders who are smart, dynamic and creative. We have Taouil and Holt. One isnt as good as the others in the SPL and one is clearly not thought to be ready for a full 90 by the coaching staff. We need a couple of forwards (Wallace/Graham/Doolan/Taylor/Thompson types) for next year. We need a couple of defenders (right back/centre back) to ensure we dont slip into SFL 1.

Whatever formation we play is irrelevant and dependent on the opposition. You dont play the same way every game. You get found out that way. Like we did earlier this season. 3-0 aside we got to tge final by penalties and failed to score for over a month as a result of dogmatic adherence to 4-5-1.

You make some good points but I'm not sure about the bit in bold. You might have more bodies in the box but they might not have the intelligence or the movement to get in front of a defender and put a chance away. Your point about having 2 up front cancels out your point about us not taking our chances in the cup final, but you are spot on in saying we can't take our chances in general.

Again I agree with you about our lack of creativity, it's been a big problem for us all season but I think the young lads are capable of injecting that into the team if they can find some form.

As for your last point, I do agree that 4-5-1 wasn't really working for us but it was down to the way we played it. The lone striker was always isolated and with a bit more ambition in the opposition half we could have maybe have turned defeats into draws and draws into wins.

The semi final was one of our best performances this season. We matched Inverness in midfield but our central 3 had more footballing ability and it allowed us to spread the play and run at their full backs. Obviously we couldn't win it in 120 minutes but we were definitely the better side that day. We got a couple of breaks but we deserved to go through.

Like I said previously, we were too cautious with 4-5-1. There are so many ways to play it and we have the ability in our squad to get the ball down, work it through midfield and feed a lone front man providing he's willing to work hard and create space.

I will turn your question round and ask it to you. Why are so many people adamant that we play 4-4-2?

P.S. the idea of Locke getting a pre season gives me the fear, never mind being allowed to select his own new players. Argh. No ta.

Every new manager has to start somewhere. I see no evidence that Locke will be any better or worse than anyone else starting out in management.

What does concern me is the lack of any management experience in his backroom staff.

Surely bringing in someone like Archie Knox or even someone like Paul Hegarty in as his assistant would be of great benefit and give Locke more chance to be a success.

King Of The Cat Cafe

I really feel sorry for Locke. His appointment had all the hall-marks of a stop-gap. And I suspect he knows it.

Given that so many fans were wanting Hartley or Cameron to get the job I find now criticising the appointment of Locke on the basis of inexperience a bit puzzling.

Yes, he has not been a manager but he has coached SPL players for a few years now.

He is very well respected in Scottish football and he needs to be given a fair chance. The team he has to work with right now is utterly abysmal.

I suspect there is another reason why some have no faith in Locke.

scots civil war

the best act gary locke can do for the future of heart of midlothian is resign

shaun.lawson

Given that so many fans were wanting Hartley or Cameron to get the job I find now criticising the appointment of Locke on the basis of inexperience a bit puzzling.

Yes, he has not been a manager but he has coached SPL players for a few years now.

He is very well respected in Scottish football and he needs to be given a fair chance. The team he has to work with right now is utterly abysmal.

I suspect there is another reason why some have no faith in Locke.

Which is...? :unsure:

07-08 was worse than this.....no question.

Which is...? :unsure:

I don't know! But I'm guessing the fact that some have labelled Locke in the past as being a bit thick might have something to do with it. If only he didn't have such a broad accent!

Then again maybe I'm well off the mark here, but the anti-Locke sentiment really needs explaining as I can see absolutely zero rationale for it.

shaun.lawson

I don't know! But I'm guessing the fact that some have labelled Locke in the past as being a bit thick might have something to do with it. If only he didn't have such a broad accent.

Then again maybe I'm well off the mark here, but the anti-Locke sentiment really needs explaining as I can see absolutely zero rationale for it.

I'd suggest it's because he has zero experience whatsoever. This is the last time on earth we should've appointed someone like that.

I don't know! But I'm guessing the fact that some have labelled Locke in the past as being a bit thick might have something to do with it. If only he didn't have such a broad accent!

there is no anti locke sentiment

The squad may be as bad as some on here think, I'm not convinced, but if it is that bad adding a manager that has no experience is all the more crazy.....

I'd suggest it's because he has zero experience whatsoever. This is the last time on earth we should've appointed someone like that.

I'm not disagreeing about the timing, but the continued focus on inexperience is strange given that so many wanted Hartley for the job.

At no point have I said I wanted Locke as manager, but now we have him I see no reason why he can't be as successful as anyone else. Others obviously do, so I'm interested what the reasons are.

there is no anti locke sentiment

Depends how you define "anti" though. And I'm meaning anti-Locke in respect of him as manager, not the personal type abuse JM had.

Depends how you define "anti" though. And I'm meaning anti-Locke in respect of him as manager, not the personal type abuse JM had.

there is zero rationale behind not agreeing with a guy whos been a coach for a couple of years getting the hearts job?

there is zero rationale behind not agreeing with a guy whos been a coach for a couple of years getting the hearts job?

Thank god kickback wasn't around when Alex Macdonald was made manager.

Thank god kickback wasn't around when Alex Macdonald was made manager.

why? He's not getting abuse, it is just a discussion about his ability, length of contract and whether he is the right man to sort oit this mess.

Thats all.

Franklin Delano Bluth

Such a shame for Locke though. Takes the job because of his love for the club, no doubt, you can see that in the Alba interview. However, this is not the situation for someone to cut their teeth in the management game. He is going to struggle, the fans will get on his back next season as it will be dire again, he'll leave/get sacked and never be heard from again probably. He should have given Hearts a wide berth as soon as Sergio was sacked.

why? He's not getting abuse, it is just a discussion about his ability, length of contract and whether he is the right man to sort oit this mess.

Thats all.

Far too much negativity around. Give him a chance, he might just surprise you. :thumbsup:

Michael Ngoo scored 3 goals in 4 games playing as a lone striker. He has scored 0 goals in 5 games playing in a front two. Not worked? Come on now.

As for "twisting everything to suit my preferred formation", I'm able to realise that 4-5-1/4-3-3 or whatever you want to call it has its benefits and that 4-4-2 does not solve all the problems.

You make some good points but I'm not sure about the bit in bold. You might have more bodies in the box but they might not have the intelligence or the movement to get in front of a defender and put a chance away. Your point about having 2 up front cancels out your point about us not taking our chances in the cup final, but you are spot on in saying we can't take our chances in general.

Again I agree with you about our lack of creativity, it's been a big problem for us all season but I think the young lads are capable of injecting that into the team if they can find some form.

As for your last point, I do agree that 4-5-1 wasn't really working for us but it was down to the way we played it. The lone striker was always isolated and with a bit more ambition in the opposition half we could have maybe have turned defeats into draws and draws into wins.

The semi final was one of our best performances this season. We matched Inverness in midfield but our central 3 had more footballing ability and it allowed us to spread the play and run at their full backs. Obviously we couldn't win it in 120 minutes but we were definitely the better side that day. We got a couple of breaks but we deserved to go through.

Like I said previously, we were too cautious with 4-5-1. There are so many ways to play it and we have the ability in our squad to get the ball down, work it through midfield and feed a lone front man providing he's willing to work hard and create space.

I will turn your question round and ask it to you. Why are so many people adamant that we play 4-4-2?

Responding to that as it's a response to me.

Your point that having two up front cancels out not taking chances makes no sense. We had 2 strikers on, neither has the instinct right now to take chances. Ngoo seems to lack any instinct what so ever. He never took a chance, he never tried to, he's a decent player, but he's no good to us beyond May (Sutton has to go too. Nice guy, but not working for him). Watch the highlights and watch him, he's always a step behind the ball, he never lunges at it in hope either. Not singling him out, but he's not got it yet.

The youngsters? Well I think we have all collectively talked them up a lot more than need have been. Walker, Holt, Tapping, King, McKay and Mullen are still really raw. McHattie is the only one who looks ready for 90 mins non-stop. Out of them I think Walker, Holt, Tapping and McHattie will actually last the term. The others just don't seem to have much about them. Young players run around a lot, but that doesn't mean they do much productive, and from watching them, and guys like Novi, they run around a LOT but add little. Sadly I think that is actually the case. They need to up their game next year. If you are good enough to break into the team, then you need to act like an older player and do more. Some are acting like they've already made it.

Look, as I've said formations have to go with tactics. 4-5-1 under McGlynn was crap at tactics and couldn't cope with things not working. Locke is playing 4-4-2 because he feels two upfront is better to get more out the team. I can see his view based on our squad. I don't think 4-5-1 will do much for us based on the team we have. We have 2 wide players, the rest are central mids. So I can't see why we'd chose to go that way and limit our options on the bench. If Mullen was fit I'd much favour a 5-3-2 if I'm honest as McHattie and Mullen seem to like going forward. But hey, I'm not gaffer, I don't get to pick. I think changing formation will do sweet F@#!? all to be honest. Our squad is so poor it wont help us.

Snake Plissken

That was an awful season, for sure, but there were at least a couple of good results that made it more bearable:

We absolutely thumped Rangers at Tynecastle, papped Celtic out of the League Cup and we actually beat Hibs. I do remember the truly harrowing periods were we'd go months without winning but this season we've not had a good result against anyone of significance to cling onto.

Tommy Wiseau

07/08 was mental, but it was never as bad as this pish, I'm afraid.

Archived