What do we do if Locke continues to struggle?

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Jambo Johanson

I think we have to see it out till the end of the season and see who is getting kept on and who is not so he knows who he has to work with.

Maybe let him bring in a few players and see what he has to offer.

No one knows these player better then locky give him time and I am confident he will come good in the long run.

HHGH

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our team's been rank rotten since August. How was that McGlynn's fault?

You and another poster were right about McGlynn, incidentally: spot on. Kudos. Except that you then made a classic, schoolboy error: as in your mind, anyone would be better than McGlynn, you hilariously rushed to hail Locke and acclaim him as a great manager in the making based on, well, nothing. Oops.

Truth is, Locke - with zero managerial experience whatsoever - represents a clear downgrade from McGlynn. He did what you'd been demanding: he went 4-4-2. Didn't and hasn't worked. He was completely out-thought by Danny Lennon in the final: not that I'm blaming him for that or anything, as Danny Lennon's got years on him in the management game. Locke's a total novice, and his appointment is an even more desperate move than McGlynn's was.

But KB being KB, posters invariably feel forced to stick to their positions in the face of reality - and this often goes on for months and months. Meaning I've no doubt you'll keep telling yourself that Locke is a great manager - when in fact, his school report would presently read: "Can't evaluate him - because to date, I've seen no work from him".

Every manager starts somewhere. Locke, unlike many, has at least several years experience as a 1st team coach in the SPL at both Kilmarnock and Hearts.

How good a manager Locke turns out to be nobody knows. But instead of having a coaching support staff of Darren Murray and Janny it would help to have a bit of experience in there to give him advice along the way.

Franklin Delano Bluth

Every manager starts somewhere. Locke, unlike many, has at least several years experience as a 1st team coach in the SPL at both Kilmarnock and Hearts.

How good a manager Locke turns out to be nobody knows. But instead of having a coaching support staff of Darren Murray and Janny it would help to have a bit of experience in there to give him advice along the way.

I would argue decades of coaching experience is better than a couple of years, tbf.

I would argue decades of coaching experience is better than a couple of years, tbf.

I'm not disagreeing.

Hence why I'd love to see an experienced assistant brought in during the summer.

shaun.lawson

I'm not disagreeing.

Hence why I'd love to see an experienced assistant brought in during the summer.

JJ as DoF pls.

JJ as DoF pls.

Possibly a good shout.

Or even Robbo as assistant mgr could work and wouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

Tin hat on here.... :cyclist:

My own thoughts are that we too often want former players as manager or we promote from within.

I think it would be beneficial for us to get a new manager and coaching team who have no previous relationship with us as I think we need a clear out from top to bottom. :curtain:

Bring back Robbo

John Murray is the biggest cause of problems at Heart of Midlothian, he has NO record or background as a "Director of Footbal" prior to his appointment and he has done nothing since to show himself as any worth in the role.

What would be far more help to Locke, who may do a decent job as Manager, is someone in the dugout with experience, if you take St Mirren as an example they appointed Tommy Craig alongside Danny Lennon when he got the Manager's gig there, Sandy Clarke has been mentioned, Stuart McCall brought in Kenny Black for his knowledge of the game. With the greatest respect to Darren Murray he is best left to work with the youth teams, asking him to work with the 1st team as well is just too much, and Janny as much as he was a good player for us he came to the coaching staff "to learn" at the start of the season, hardly the experience we need at the moment. Locke needs someone he can trust next to him with experience, every other team in the SPL in the top 6 has a respected, experienced Assistant Manager in the dug-out alongside the manager.

No one in the football side of things has any experience of management at a SPL standard level, Locke needs help in there and fast, not JJ for me, as its another of the jobs for the boys, also the with JJ sitting upstairs too many will be tempted to demand he takes over if Locke doesnt start well, a pressure he doesnt need, Donald Park is wasted at the SFA as Head of Coach Education......

John Murray is the biggest cause of problems at Heart of Midlothian, he has NO record or background as a "Director of Footbal" prior to his appointment and he has done nothing since to show himself as any worth in the role.

What would be far more help to Locke, who may do a decent job as Manager, is someone in the dugout with experience, if you take St Mirren as an example they appointed Tommy Craig alongside Danny Lennon when he got the Manager's gig there, Sandy Clarke has been mentioned, Stuart McCall brought in Kenny Black for his knowledge of the game. With the greatest respect to Darren Murray he is best left to work with the youth teams, asking him to work with the 1st team as well is just too much, and Janny as much as he was a good player for us he came to the coaching staff "to learn" at the start of the season, hardly the experience we need at the moment. Locke needs someone he can trust next to him with experience, every other team in the SPL in the top 6 has a respected, experienced Assistant Manager in the dug-out alongside the manager.

No one in the football side of things has any experience of management at a SPL standard level, Locke needs help in there and fast, not JJ for me, as its another of the jobs for the boys, also the with JJ sitting upstairs too many will be tempted to demand he takes over if Locke doesnt start well, a pressure he doesnt need, Donald Park is wasted at the SFA as Head of Coach Education......

Is Archie Knox staying at Aberdeen when Craig Brown retires? The perfect sort of candidate for the mentor role if he wasn't staying.

Archie Knox is leaving Aberdeen, again would be someone with bags of experience at the highest level.

jamboinglasgow

serious question to all those asking for jj to be a Director of Football, do you even know what role involves?

Robbo's the man honest.

merseyjambo

I think we all realise Locke was the cheap option, Getintaethem. I think the problem some may have, I know I certainly do, is that for the second time running, we haven't looked at all when naming our manager. All I've ever said is that there are coaches all over Europe who wouldn't be out with even our budget. Even Houston (whom as I've stated I'd have preferred to Locke) was someone known directly by the DOF.

First time round, he appointed his mate from Raith, this time round he appointed from within, with another mate being interviewed and a close second.

Remember when Hibs appointed Mowbray? I'll probably get pelters here but Petrie got that appointment at that time absolutely spot on. That's what we needed and we didn't even look.

Spot on.

When we were looking, I said we should be looking for a young hungry type like Lomas was on Mowbray was.

Local knowledge says Alan Stubbs is doing really well with the youngsters at Everton. He also has a good knowledge and contacts within the game in England as next year, we will need to supplement our squad with some loan signings.

We should have been looking at someone like that rather than Locke

Locke was cettainly a lot safer in his previous role, he's in the firing line now. After watching the game on alba yesterday, things don't look great, we were gash.

serious question to all those asking for jj to be a Director of Football, do you even know what role involves?

This. JJ as manager yes but as DOF would be pointless IMO.

Locke should have been given the job until the end of the season until we got someone with experience. The hearts job at the moment is not one for a new manager starting out.

ford donald

What happens if we don't win another game this season (a real possibility)

Keep the faith with Locke? We are in free fall. I'me pretty convinced we'll be relegated next season if things stay as they are.

Before anyone starts, this isn't having a go at Locke. But it's a poor start to say the least and he's supposed to be in charge next season.

Hearts need a top manager.Gary Locke is not the answer,im afraid.We need a manager who can work on a small budget, plus get the best out of our younger players,this should be our number one priority!

fabienleclerq

:rofl: did people who came on to slate Mcgylnn think that by appointing an inexperienced manager all of a sudden we would be world beaters?

Our priority is surviving and hopefully having new owners next year, then we can appoint a new manager who can sign who he wants etc. Why people are having a go at John Murray I've no idea, the guys been very loyal and very influential in creating our good youth set up. This lose a couple of games and someone needs sacked shites gotta stop, we need stability.

The season is over, 451 and play as many of the youngsters as possible please.

Hearts need a top manager.Gary Locke is not the answer,im afraid.We need a manager who can work on a small budget, plus get the best out of our younger players,this should be our number one priority!

Like Butcher.....but we can't afford him.

:rofl: did people who came on to slate Mcgylnn think that by appointing an inexperienced manager all of a sudden we would be world beaters?

Our priority is surviving and hopefully having new owners next year, then we can appoint a new manager who can sign who he wants etc. Why people are having a go at John Murray I've no idea, the guys been very loyal and very influential in creating our good youth set up. This lose a couple of games and someone needs sacked shites gotta stop, we

I agree with most of this. Locke is not the problem. The time to judge Gary is when he has a full squad available to choose from.

Anyone who thinks we should be doing better has unrealistic expectations. Our biggest problem is our injury list. We would do a lot better if Zal, Grainger and Patterson were available.

scots civil war

lockey with the tracksuit on ,body language and all,subs at hampden and continuing with sutton yesterday

its all going to end in tears

no doubt about it

Do you think maybe tge club simply gave Lockie another year to protect him from what may happen?

Lets face it giving him til end of season to see what he could do with a view to extending if there was any signs of improvement would be logical but giving an inexperienced man the reigns at this time seems illogical so maybe giving him a contract knowing full well any new owners might dump him was a reward for his loyalty ??

Not been a great start but he has the same players so didnt expect miracles but suggest if we carry on like this until end of season Locke getting the gig for next year we be er em slightly

Scrutinised to say the least

The Old Tolbooth

Like Butcher.....but we can't afford him.

No chance of affording a butcher when we could barely afford a plumber :ninja:

No chance of affording a butcher when we could barely afford a plumber :ninja:

True,John.

Would take him in a second if we had the money.

It's far too early to judge Locke. We need to look to next season now, move on some players and hopefully bring in some experience. Times are going to be tough though and people have to realise that.

Got to love this place. Locke is no more the solution than the problem. Huge cuts in playing staff and holding job manager at the start of the season. People on here bleating about how good and how expensive our squad is/was. People believing that Sutton is a footballer who could flourish in 442. We are skint and have the poorest playing squad in many years. Losing Zal, who many gurus on here thought was a liability saved by Webster, was the final injury nail in the season's coffin. We are now porous in defence and toothless up front and to me if they were unable to appoint a decent manager they should have ignored the crap on places like this and let McGlynn stagger on to the end of the season. Now is a holding job to guarantee enough points for 11th place which should be manageable due to Dundee being bad enough and far enough behind. Does anyone not accept that most of this squad (fit players) would struggle for more than bench places at other clubs or are they all footballing gods who had their spirits broken by McGlynn?

I dont think Locke deserves much blame. Let him start the next campaign with a clearout and new signings i will judge him. Not whilst he struggles with the dregs of a bad squad.

1. We do have our weakest side since before Vlad. We are playing guys out of position due to being that threadbare. D.McGowan at rb for a start is plain wrong and Hammil (who was Killie rb) should be put there once fit. Webster and Wilson are struggling for form. We lack width. We lack a dynamic centre mid and our forwards cant score.

2. This period has proved to me that whilst some of the youngsters (McHattie, Tapping, Walker, Paterson and sort of Holt) will cope in the SPL that the rest are not there yet and maybe wont be there. Mullen, Novi, King, Smith and I'd even say Prychenenko have been talked up a lot (as have the wider youth team) but none have looked stand out or totally ready. Lets not pin our hopes on all these guys. Mate of mine who isnt a jambo or a scottish football fan said he watched tge final and the only youth to get pass marks was McHattie. I agree with that.

3. Formations and debate on them are killing us. 4-4-2 and 4-3-3/4-5-1 are all good. All can work. It depends on who you are playing. Holt can play 4-4-2. Put him in with a strong dm and he'll be fine. All this guff on formations and players being inflexible is tedious and is not our issue.

4. We need this clearout. This team is the dregs. A real low point. The clearout and all these unsigned contract players need to be looked at ruthlessly. No compassion. If you aren't playing well enough you can go has to be the line in training and on the pitch. In the summer signings need to be planned and done early to give Locke time to develop his plans. None of this Stevenson crap with last minute deals.

5. Get an experienced head in the dugout. A been there and done it type. Magic has Clark and it works. JJ is not DoF material and I'd cut that role. Rather get a Clark type assistant than a meddling DoF.

6. Give Locke time. A quick fix is nowhere near. Stability is needed.

Is Archie Knox staying at Aberdeen when Craig Brown retires? The perfect sort of candidate for the mentor role if he wasn't staying.

That's a very decent shout - and I expect that Gary Locke might know Knox reasonably well so might well be quite happy to work with him.

The White Cockade

McGlynn was not the problem

Locke is not the problem

The shambles that is Heart of Midlothian Football Club is the problem

Until we get as new ownership who understand football and get things on an even keel financially

things will not improve

We have lost most of our top players from last season

Next season we will probably have lost the best of what we have

Some people need to wake up and see how bad a position we are really in

Massive debt/absentee ownership/crippling tax bills/morale through the floor/lack of money to improve squad or even play current squad

Its all Lockie's fault?

Nobody seems to have mentioned the fact that Houston wanted 3 months wages up front, before he would take the gig, work it out. The club is a feckin shambles and real fans know why.

McGlynn was not the problem

Locke is not the problem

The shambles that is Heart of Midlothian Football Club is the problem

Until we get as new ownership who understand football and get things on an even keel financially

things will not improve

We have lost most of our top players from last season

Next season we will probably have lost the best of what we have

Some people need to wake up and see how bad a position we are really in

Massive debt/absentee ownership/crippling tax bills/morale through the floor/lack of money to improve squad or even play current squad

Its all Lockie's fault?

This.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

FFS give it a rest with your 4-5-1, it didn't work earlier in the season, and it sure as hell isn't going to work now. Do you not remember McGlynn persisting with that formation and us not creating ANY chances for about 3 games in a row!? Our main problem today was our forwards not taking any of several chances that they had, as compared to Aberdeen. Our defence, earlier this season the strength of the team, now a joke.

Some folk on here complained about the lack of 4-4-2 for months saying we'd win more games if we played that. Locke has been in charge for five games and has played 4-4-2 in every game. We have won one out of those five games, winning more games so we are...

The midfielders we have are more suited to a five-man midfield. We are being over-run time and time again in the middle of the park due to having a man less in there than the opposition, the cup final being a prime example of that.

4-4-2 is not all it's made out to be.

Are you seriously suggesting JM is a better manager than Gary. Have you not noticed the change in how we play since Gary took over?

Blaming Gary for the current team position is like blaming the medics at a road crash for the mess the victims are in.

What "change in play" would this be exactly? We're still playing the exact same way we did under McGlynn - long balls into the channels, lack of movement and imagination in advanced areas and slow build up play. We played well against St Johnstone but defensively we are shocking. Locke is not exactly showing he's good tactically but he has time to change that.

Some folk on here complained about the lack of 4-4-2 for months saying we'd win more games if we played that. Locke has been in charge for five games and has played 4-4-2 in every game. We have won one out of those five games, winning more games so we are...

The midfielders we have are more suited to a five-man midfield. We are being over-run time and time again in the middle of the park due to having a man less in there than the opposition, the cup final being a prime example of that.

4-4-2 is not all it's made out to be.

What "change in play" would this be exactly? We're still playing the exact same way we did under McGlynn - long balls into the channels, lack of movement and imagination in advanced areas and slow build up play. We played well against St Johnstone but defensively we are shocking. Locke is not exactly showing he's good tactically but he has time to change that.

Ffs. Formations count for nothing when you have a terrible squad. Fact is 4-4-2 is what Locke is playing right now. Call for 4-5-1 till May but fact is we stand more chance scoring this way. Remember a month and no goals from open play?

We are leaking goals because we have lost Grainger, Zal and McGowan and replaced them with Wilson (barely played a lot for a while), McHattie (young lad) and a central mid at right back in Dylan. We are not leaking due to not playing 4-5-1.

Unlike many here i purely want to see us win. We could play 4-6-0 for all i care so long as we win. I"m a fan not a manager therefore its a moot point. What I'll say is its always either pick to a system or a system to suit your players. We havent the squad to do either.

And dont say the youngsters. Im tired of this excuse or reason. Yes some are good and will improve. Some of them are far from ready and throwing them in may ruin them.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Ffs. Formations count for nothing when you have a terrible squad. Fact is 4-4-2 is what Locke is playing right now. Call for 4-5-1 till May but fact is we stand more chance scoring this way. Remember a month and no goals from open play?

We are leaking goals because we have lost Grainger, Zal and McGowan and replaced them with Wilson (barely played a lot for a while), McHattie (young lad) and a central mid at right back in Dylan. We are not leaking due to not playing 4-5-1.

Unlike many here i purely want to see us win. We could play 4-6-0 for all i care so long as we win. I"m a fan not a manager therefore its a moot point. What I'll say is its always either pick to a system or a system to suit your players. We havent the squad to do either.

And dont say the youngsters. Im tired of this excuse or reason. Yes some are good and will improve. Some of them are far from ready and throwing them in may ruin them.

Good to see you rolling out the "we'll score more goals playing 4-4-2" myth in your first line. Our biggest win of the season is 3-0, what formation did we play that day? 4-4-1-1. We got to a cup final playing five in midfield and won a small handful of games playing 2 up top. We're not exactly free scoring at the moment are we?

We are leaking goals due to our defence being out of form and like I said in my previous post, our midfield being over-run. Our entire midfield was taken out the game by one pass before Aberdeen's first goal yesterday.

If we're picking a system to suit our squad then the only option is a five man midfield. Don't say the youngsters? They are the future of this club and we've been told all season that we'll need to put young guys into the team. Our best prospect is sitting on the bench ffs! We have some talented players and we're wasting them in this system.

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

We just have very few genuinely talented players and match winners. I don't believe there's anything wrong with the players mentality. I've got a winning mentality but would I be a good football player for Hearts? Of course not. There's just a fundamental lack of quality throughout the squad.

Our best creative player Jason Holt is suddenly on the bench as well which is bizarre.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I wanted Locke to do well but most of us on here knew he'd struggle.

No experience and tarred with the brush of McGlynn's shite tenure. Not exactly the hottest CV in town. Fortunately it doesn't really matter this season but I'd like a rethink in the summer.

BaggiosLeftPeg

"Great appointment, he kens whit it means tae play for Hearts, he'll get them fired up"

"Did you see the way he picked up Stevenson and threw him back on the park!? Lockie is going to be an AMAZING manager"

This is the type of hollow crap I've heard people spout since Locke got the job, and it takes far, FAR more than hand clapping and chest beating to be successful at this level.

"Great appointment, he kens whit it means tae play for Hearts, he'll get them fired up"

"Did you see the way he picked up Stevenson and threw him back on the park!? Lockie is going to be an AMAZING manager"

This is the type of hollow crap I've heard people spout since Locke got the job, and it takes far, FAR more than hand clapping and chest beating to be successful at this level.

FFS give the guy a chance. He has inherited a truly awful team, a team that is infinitely worse than JM had before him.

He is a young inexperienced manager and it might not work out for him. Conversely he might turn out to be the next Alex Ferguson. Nobody knows and now is not the time to be judging him.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

FFS give the guy a chance. He has inherited a truly awful team, a team that is infinitely worse than JM had before him.

He is a young inexperienced manager and it might not work out for him. Conversely he might turn out to be the next Alex Ferguson. Nobody knows and now is not the time to be judging him.

You can't pretend that Locke had nothing to do with McGlynn's team or reign. He was one of his coaches FFS!

I agree with you, he needs a chance, but hearts are naive as feck if they're not planning a fallback option.

Gary Locke has clearly p!ssed in a few folks cornflakes on. Here. Sure he has no management experience but we are all living on another planet if we ever though we were gonna recruit externally.....we are skint he was the cheapest option short off someone paying us for the gig.

Now if we can all put the toys back in the pram and give him more that 4 games before hanging him.

skinnybob72

It matters not a jot whether you play 4-5-1 or 4-4-2 when the 1 or 2 in question are incapable of putting the ball in the net. Both Sutton & Ngoo have a habit of sclaffing and mis-hitting the ball when in good positions to score.

If we had Higdon & Griffiths, or McGinn & Shinnie, up top this season we would have been a damn site further up the table that we currently are regardless of manager and formation.

Franklin Delano Bluth

Gary Locke has clearly p!ssed in a few folks cornflakes on. Here. Sure he has no management experience but we are all living on another planet if we ever though we were gonna recruit externally.....we are skint he was the cheapest option short off someone paying us for the gig.

Now if we can all put the toys back in the pram and give him more that 4 games before hanging him.

Did Levein not say he'd do it for free? Or did that turn out to be lies?

Good to see you rolling out the "we'll score more goals playing 4-4-2" myth in your first line. Our biggest win of the season is 3-0, what formation did we play that day? 4-4-1-1. We got to a cup final playing five in midfield and won a small handful of games playing 2 up top. We're not exactly free scoring at the moment are we?

We are leaking goals due to our defence being out of form and like I said in my previous post, our midfield being over-run. Our entire midfield was taken out the game by one pass before Aberdeen's first goal yesterday.

If we're picking a system to suit our squad then the only option is a five man midfield. Don't say the youngsters? They are the future of this club and we've been told all season that we'll need to put young guys into the team. Our best prospect is sitting on the bench ffs! We have some talented players and we're wasting them in this system.

Jeezo you're like a broken record, twisting everything to justify your preferred formation.

So because we had 4-5-1 for that 3-0 win against dundee utd in September, that means we should play 4-5-1 in every match this season, aye!? Do you not remember the series of games playing your favourite formation when we didn't even create any chances, let alone score any goals.

Like others, I am not obsessed with one formation over another, I just feel that we do not currently have a forward on the books who can play the '1' in 4-5-1. We have tried Patterson, Sutton and Ngoo and its not worked. As a result, we need two strikers suppporting each other and creating chances, unfortunately our strikers just do not take chances anyway.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

I haven't seen the team play well as a whole since he got the job so don't think its really right to comment on his ability to manage. There doesn't seem to be any improvement but I reckon the cup final turned heads and proved to be an unwelcome distraction as far as league form goes, of course if we would have won it then spirits may well have rocketed. They didn't, so I don't think he can be judged good or bad just yet.

Patience is required because its going to be small steps rather than large leaps forward.

Would only have given him the job till the end of the season though, not surprised by the weird decision to give him longer, its par for the course at Hearts.

fabienleclerq

Jeezo you're like a broken record, twisting everything to justify your preferred formation.

So because we had 4-5-1 for that 3-0 win against dundee utd in September, that means we should play 4-5-1 in every match this season, aye!? Do you not remember the series of games playing your favourite formation when we didn't even create any chances, let alone score any goals.

Like others, I am not obsessed with one formation over another, I just feel that we do not currently have a forward on the books who can play the '1' in 4-5-1. We have tried Patterson, Sutton and Ngoo and its not worked. As a result, we need two strikers suppporting each other and creating chances, unfortunately our strikers just do not take chances anyway.

We dont have any strikers capable of playing 451 but u want to play two of them?!

Name me a decent team that play 442? Not many do anymore it restricts the team too much 451/433 is much more flexible and in our case the younger players are used to playing it together.Our problem is quality or lack of but 451 is what we should play.

You can't pretend that Locke had nothing to do with McGlynn's team or reign. He was one of his coaches FFS!

I agree with you, he needs a chance, but hearts are naive as feck if they're not planning a fallback option.

Where exactly did I say Locke had nothing to do with McGlynn's reign?

How much influence he had is certainly debatable though.

And I doubt Locke would have got so little out of the squad that McGlynn had at his disposal.

Templeton, McGowan, Grainger, Zaliukas, Paterson, Robinson, Driver and Mullen are all better than what we currently have available and McGlynn had the use of these players.

Archived