What do we do if Locke continues to struggle?

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

What happens if we don't win another game this season (a real possibility)

Keep the faith with Locke? We are in free fall. I'me pretty convinced we'll be relegated next season if things stay as they are.

Before anyone starts, this isn't having a go at Locke. But it's a poor start to say the least and he's supposed to be in charge next season.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Russian Hats

Hound him out and give Murray a chance.

Ok maybe not but much will depend on ownership and budget next year. If we are cut to bone then has he the experience or ability to deal with it? Not so sure. I know nobody wants to hear it but I would still guess we are paying 2nd highest wage bill and sitting in 10th.

Clerry Jambo

What happens if we don't win another game this season (a real possibility)

Keep the faith with Locke? We are in free fall. I'me pretty convinced we'll be relegated next season if things stay as they are.

Before anyone starts, this isn't having a go at Locke. But it's a poor start to say the least and he's supposed to be in charge next season.

Not a pop at Lockie, but whoever gave him a contract until the end of next season, should be shown the door first.

Knowing our record with managers, he may well be relieved and more compensation will be required to be paid.

Carl Fredrickson

Tin hat on here.... :cyclist:

My own thoughts are that we too often want former players as manager or we promote from within.

I think it would be beneficial for us to get a new manager and coaching team who have no previous relationship with us as I think we need a clear out from top to bottom. :curtain:

Winston Ingram

Easy- we wait and see who he signs/empties in the summer and see how it looks circa September. Daft to jumpt to any conclusions before that.

Ridiculous appointment made at a ridiculous time.

Nearly spot on. Ridiculous appointment yes, timing was deliberate for cup final to try to install some moral and a boost before a cup final.

There's times I swear your are a hibee...

With the damage Mcgylnn caused it will take Locke a while to get things sorted. Confident he can though.

Accept that we currently have a poor squad and that most managers would struggle and be glad we are going to survive this season as a club and with our SPL-place intact.

Fermit the Krog

But onto what we do....We hope that new ownership is forthcoming and that they don't fancy him?

John Murray :vrface:

Fermit the Krog

Nearly spot on. Ridiculous appointment yes, timing was deliberate for cup final to try to install some moral and a boost before a cup final.

Given what happened, the timing turned out to be ridiculous. Had we won the league cup, no one would have batted an eyelid if he were appointed on the Monday although even then, the sensible decision would have been to give him till the end of the season.

Bring in a "director of football" the way Terry Venebles was brought in at some club (who I canny remember, maybe 'boro)

GuitarJambo

My opinion is that we have to get behind lockie and the team. I think his instatement as manager was slightly knee jerk and money orientated but hes a good lad and will come good for us.

Boaby Ewing

But onto what we do....We hope that new ownership is forthcoming and that they don't fancy him?

The club's not exactly suffering from a surplus of ambition right now, is it?

Tin hat on here.... :cyclist:

My own thoughts are that we too often want former players as manager or we promote from within.

I think it would be beneficial for us to get a new manager and coaching team who have no previous relationship with us as I think we need a clear out from top to bottom. :curtain:

Totally agree. Wanted this all along.

Winston Ingram

Appointment until end of season would have left us in the same bad state at the start of the next one as has been the case all-too often recently- no proper pre-season preparation, planning, recruitment etc.

Given what happened, the timing turned out to be ridiculous. Had we won the league cup, no one would have batted an eyelid if he were appointed on the Monday although even then, the sensible decision would have been to give him till the end of the season.

Thats the problem anyone would have had no matter. We could have named Jose Mourhino as manager but if we get beat in the final as we did then whoever in charge will always be taking the flak for it, thats why i believe we did not appoint anyone and wont until the end of the season. All the talk at the time of interviewing managers and potential managers was just paper talk and bullshit. I dont believe we ever had any intention of appointing a manager, because of finances and also the cup final.

Half of the losers in this side will be out of contract at the end of the season and hopefully off our books never to be seen in maroon again.

Hopefully their replacements will have more of a winning-mentality and will bring that to the club.

Can see next season being another long hard one unfortunately.

Thats the problem anyone would have had no matter. We could have named Jose Mourhino as manager but if we get beat in the final as we did then whoever in charge will always be taking the flak for it, thats why i believe we did not appoint anyone and wont until the end of the season. All the talk at the time of interviewing managers and potential managers was just paper talk and bullshit. I dont believe we ever had any intention of appointing a manager, because of finances and also the cup final.

Houston has said himself he was basically offered the job.

Suddenly a solid SPL manager doesn't sound so bad despite the reaction on here at the time ...

Clerry Jambo

Half of the losers in this side will be out of contract at the end of the season and hopefully off our books never to be seen in maroon again.

Hopefully their replacements will have more of a winning-mentality and will bring that to the club.

Fair assessment Le Chat.

The longer the club ownership saga goes on, the more negative effect it will have for next season.

We need to hope its resolved in a matter of weeks to allow tough decisions to be made on the playing side of things and bringing in new recruits.

From Perth to Paisley

Accept that we currently have a poor squad and that most managers would struggle and be glad we are going to survive this season as a club and with our SPL-place intact.

This and accept that we've not been particularly good in the SPL since circa October/November 2010 and it's probably going to get worse.

Fermit the Krog

Suddenly a solid SPL manager doesn't sound so bad despite the reaction on here at the time ...

Spot on.

Sexton Hardcastle

There's only so much Locke can do with this crop of players. Many should be playing out of their skin to win new deals here or impress other clubs. They are doing neither of those and have accepted what many fans have; the season is over, might as well see where we finish up. Safe bar a points deduction.

The only positive is no win bonuses are building up and lower finish = lower bonus to players. I assume?

Caspian Primrose

depends on what happens in pre-season.

i dont expect Locke to turn it round with that squad. i dont think Houston, Robbo, etc could either. most people on here blamed McGlynn for our plight but that team is shit.

i expected this season to be garbage with a bottom 6 finish. if we dont sign some decent players for next season i'll fully expect us to get relegated.

Is that really the case? Out of today's starting line up only Webby, Gowser jr (?) and the two loanees are the only ones out of contract are they not?

The standard of team isn't the issue in my opinion.

We don't seem to have any organisation or gameplan.

St. Mirren carved us apart the other week because they were very well organised and had clear plans in place.

Not once during that final did we look like we had that.

We haven't all season.

This season was always going to be tough

There are issues needing to be resolved re ownership etc which despite what some think do impact upon the players.

However in saying that the club should be embarressed when clubs with less than half our playing budget are up to 20 points ahead of us.

There is nothing to stop us boosting the squad and matching /exceeding Motherwell for example next season..........................other than poor scouting and preparation that is.

So lets see what our football director and his scouting network have up their sleeves for next season.

The one good thing from this season is the young players have been given experience of the SPL and you would hope the development as they grow stronger and bigger will help next season and beyond.

Who we sign will in many ways determine where we finish next season...........Aberdeen without the goals of McGinn, Hibs without Griffiths, Inverness without Mckay, Motherwell without Higdon all show the importnce of having a regular goalscorer in the SPL.............that is often the difference... solve that and we have players who can make it a far better season.

With Rudi we would have finished top 6 and won the League cup... to me it is that simple.

Is that really the case? Out of today's starting line up only Webby, Gowser jr (?) and the two loanees are the only ones out of contract are they not?

Guff like Grainger, Sutton and Novikovas will be offski too thankfully. Maybe Taouil as well but I'm not sure.

As will our Loanees.

Francis Albert

The standard of team isn't the issue in my opinion.

We don't seem to have any organisation or gameplan.

St. Mirren carved us apart the other week because they were very well organised and had clear plans in place.

Not once during that final did we look like we had that.

We haven't all season.

You missed the first half?

Fermit the Krog

Guff like Grainger, Sutton and Novikovas will be offski too thankfully. Maybe Taouil as well but I'm not sure.

As will our Loanees.

Sutton and Taouil still under contract I think.

Who's going to take them and their over inflated salaries of our hands?

I think the squad will be pretty similar to this seasons. Maybe slightly weaker.

Really can't see us signing many players.

jamboinglasgow

Why you blaming him for this? From what seems to be suggested, him and Southern had Houston as their man, and the board suddenly turned round and appointed Locke. Almost everything about how Locke sets up his team and plays is far away from how John Murray and Darren Murray set things out. I would even say Locke is the one picking teams, picking formation and that is what worries. It should have been Darren Murray sets up the team and the more technical side, Locke is the figurehead as manager. This clearly hasn't happened.

Fermit the Krog

Why you blaming him for this? From what seems to be suggested, him and Southern had Houston as their man, and the board suddenly turned round and appointed Locke. Almost everything about how Locke sets up his team and plays is far away from how John Murray and Darren Murray set things out. I would even say Locke is the one picking teams, picking formation and that is what worries. It should have been Darren Murray sets up the team and the more technical side, Locke is the figurehead as manager. This clearly hasn't happened.

Because I don't like him, far less trust him.

3fingersreid

I really hope locke can be a success but given the hand he's been dealt I really can't see it

I do however hope that if it doesn't work out it doesn't go against him as a manager in the future

My humble opinion is we really needed an experienced man at this moment in time and whilst he isn't exactly exciting Houston would and should have been the guy

What you describe is a disaster

How could you have a figurehead manager a manager should pick the team and set out a pattern of play... so what Locke is doing is the right thing... he can take advice but he must make the choices............for too long at our club a manager has not been able to manage 100% and that is the problem.

If either of the Murrays want to manage then let them become the manager rather than hiding behind the door shouting advice through the keyhole.

Sorry JIG but this time you are wrong.

I also think that Locke was a horrendous appointment as I don't think he's capable of managing at SPL level.

He's not bright enough. I've met him a couple of times and he's a great guy and a legend for all he's done for us but he's not a manager i'm afraid.

We should have gotten rid of McGlynn ages ago and appointed a proper manager with the proper experience.

We have nothing to play for this season so I don't really care if Locke stays or not but he needs to go and be replaced as soon as possible after our last game this year to let the new guy prepare for next year.

I think any potential summer buy out will come with a new manager and hopefully a re-structure to help us retain Locke in some capacity (provided he will accept a step back).

Clerry Jambo

Sorry JIG, but that is sheer bollocks.

What has this guy done to suddenly become coach/manager of Heart of Midlothian :cornette:

Sutton and Taouil still under contract I think.

Who's going to take them and their over inflated salaries of our hands?

Surely to Christ we never gave those two diddys 3 year contracts :vrface:

shaun.lawson

The reaction on here at the time was absolutely ******* mental. Ridiculous, batty and delusional.

Thing is though, there's just tons of ifs, buts and maybes about the future right now. I still think we'll see some sort of ownership change in the summer - and new owners might well want their own guy in place. That's why I can't understand why Locke was given a contract until the end of next season: there has to be a break clause, surely?

Meanwhile, if Houston was offered the job, who knows what the terms and conditions were? Because the bottom line is McGlynn would never have been appointed if these were normal circumstances; and Locke, who actually represents a clear downgrade from McGlynn, certainly wouldn't have been either.

If things stay as they are, however, ie. same ownership, same or worse money problems, Locke will need all the support and understanding in the world. Because he'll have to learn on the job at a club accustomed to being at the other end of the table - but with no chance of being there given present circumstances, and in all likelihood, an even weaker squad next season compared to this. That means a nailed on relegation battle we'd struggle to win - but if ownership changes hands, everything on the pitch might well change too. We'll just have to see.

Fermit the Krog

Sorry JIG, but that is sheer bollocks.

What has this guy done to suddenly become coach/manager of Heart of Midlothian :cornette:

More than Locke, it could be argued, tbf.

Fermit the Krog

Surely to Christ we never gave those two diddys 3 year contracts :vrface:

Someone else I'm sure will confirm but yes, I think we did.

Bring in a "director of football" the way Terry Venebles was brought in at some club (who I canny remember, maybe 'boro)

JJ please.

Getintaethem

Locke was/is the cheap option.

Until the off-field problems are sorted out this club is treading water.

The whole set-up from the owner and board downwards needs changed but until someone comes up with the finances nothing will happen.

We have a very young squad who are lacking experience and confidence but the future is not all bleak. Next season will be about steadying the ship and finding new owners, after that any necessary changes to the coaching staff can be made.

Jerah Jambo

I really hope locke can be a success but given the hand he's been dealt I really can't see it

I do however hope that if it doesn't work out it doesn't go against him as a manager in the future

My humble opinion is we really needed an experienced man at this moment in time and whilst he isn't exactly exciting Houston would and should have been the guy

The problems as we all know go further than Gary. The future ownership of the club is the prime issue which will dictate where we go in the future and I think that is in the lap of the gods at the moment. I think I would have been happier if Gary had been put in charge until the end of the season and then hopefully we would know what's happening then. At the very least I don't think we should have taken another wage on when the season as most would agree is finished. The problem we have is we have a lot players out of contract and somebody has to make a decision on who we want to keep and because of his 18 month contract that is going to be Gary, not a good place for him to be when we don't know if he'll survive new owners coming in. As always with Hearts recently it's a bit of a mess and as usual our own making.

It's like people on here had forgotten the days of Korochoba, Cherenkov and Malofeev and suddenly felt we were in a position to be fussing over managers who had proven themselves in the SPL.

More than Locke, it could be argued, tbf.

Yes he could have wasted the clubs money on numerous young foreign players, paying extortionate salaries and fees to agents, producing nothing for the first team squad, he could have recommended the signing of Sutton and others......................he could have done all that and still he would have done more than Gary Locke to deserve the managers post...........wait a minute, he did do all that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fermit the Krog

Locke was/is the cheap option.

Until the off-field problems are sorted out this club is treading water.

The whole set-up from the owner and board downwards needs changed but until someone comes up with the finances nothing will happen.

We have a very young squad who are lacking experience and confidence but the future is not all bleak. Next season will be about steadying the ship and finding new owners, after that any necessary changes to the coaching staff can be made.

I think we all realise Locke was the cheap option, Getintaethem. I think the problem some may have, I know I certainly do, is that for the second time running, we haven't looked at all when naming our manager. All I've ever said is that there are coaches all over Europe who wouldn't be out with even our budget. Even Houston (whom as I've stated I'd have preferred to Locke) was someone known directly by the DOF.

First time round, he appointed his mate from Raith, this time round he appointed from within, with another mate being interviewed and a close second.

Remember when Hibs appointed Mowbray? I'll probably get pelters here but Petrie got that appointment at that time absolutely spot on. That's what we needed and we didn't even look.

depends on what happens in pre-season.

i dont expect Locke to turn it round with that squad. i dont think Houston, Robbo, etc could either. most people on here blamed McGlynn for our plight but that team is shit.

i expected this season to be garbage with a bottom 6 finish. if we dont sign some decent players for next season i'll fully expect us to get relegated.

Our squad is struggling due to our huge injury list. Nothing to do with Locke performing badly.

Archived