What do we do if Locke continues to struggle?

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

If it was down to a choice of Houston or Locke I'd have taken Houston every time. Imo, we needed an experienced manager who could stop us leaking goals and make us look like a team that can threaten going forward.

The decision to appoint Locke was unexplained, it just makes you wonder why Houston didn't get it seeing as how it was basically 99% sorted. Hopefully today shows that we don't have the players to play 4-4-2 and that we need to try and persist with the 4-3-3 that the younger lads are used to and get us playing with a bit more freedom in advanced areas.

Our confidence is shot to pieces right now, something needs to change.

FFS give it a rest with your 4-5-1, it didn't work earlier in the season, and it sure as hell isn't going to work now. Do you not remember McGlynn persisting with that formation and us not creating ANY chances for about 3 games in a row!? Our main problem today was our forwards not taking any of several chances that they had, as compared to Aberdeen. Our defence, earlier this season the strength of the team, now a joke.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fermit the Krog

You are starting to really bore me now. It was widely reported at the time, but no, I wasn't in the room when it happened so I can't personally confirm it.

So you don't know.

The ''board'' overruled that decision??

Widely reported where, that would help?

Geoff Kilpatrick

It all depends on the player recruitment. Current performances are meaningless.

portobellojambo1

There are numerous experienced good managers out of work across Europe who would jump at the chance to manage a high profile club such as Hearts, financial mess or not.

I'm not suggesting Arsene Wenger calibre, but to say we are only capable of hiring an U19 calibre manager is quite frankly laughable, so yes, I was spot on with my :rofl:

In fact, here's some more for good measure.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Would that be the same experienced, good managers who applied following the dismissal of John McGlynn, such a stunning response that from all of them it was whittled down to Gary Locke as the best choice (with no disrespect meant to Gary by the way). Almost 99.99% of the many applications we apparently received were immediately discarded for being what were termed as crank applications. We, at present are sitting third bottom of the SPL for a reason, we deserve to be there, based on performances on the field. One could, I suspect, argue that John McGlynn was the fall guy for those performances, but if truth be told, the level of performance post McGlynn has been remarkably similar to that which preceded it, which suggests it is possibly more than the recent choices of managers

Where we are today, is where we could potentially be for a few years, assuming we live to fight on beyond the end of this season. I think we need a general clear out, starting at John Murray and working down, and appoint new people with open minds and certainly not people who think football can only be played using one formation, with no alternatives (no plan B, no plan C) and who can find players suitable for the requirements of an SPL side in urgent need of regeneration/redirection.

Alwaysinourshadows

As soon as he was appointed I knew it would be a bad decision, job is to big for him

It all depends on the player recruitment. Current performances are meaningless.

I really don't get where this idea we are going to have a high turnover of players comes from?

We'll probably get rid of the old ones out of contract, sign the young ones, and sign one or two lower division players.

Franklin Delano Bluth

I really don't get where this idea we are going to have a high turnover of players comes from?

We'll probably get rid of the old ones out of contract, sign the young ones, and sign one or two lower division players.

Debatable whether that will even happen, tbh.

Would that be the same experienced, good managers who applied following the dismissal of John McGlynn, such a stunning response that from all of them it was whittled down to Gary Locke as the best choice (with no disrespect meant to Gary by the way). Almost 99.99% of the many applications we apparently received were immediately discarded for being what were termed as crank applications. We, at present are sitting third bottom of the SPL for a reason, we deserve to be there, based on performances on the field. One could, I suspect, argue that John McGlynn was the fall guy for those performances, but if truth be told, the level of performance post McGlynn has been remarkably similar to that which preceded it, which suggests it is possibly more than the recent choices of managers

Where we are today, is where we could potentially be for a few years, assuming we live to fight on beyond the end of this season. I think we need a general clear out, starting at John Murray and working down, and appoint new people with open minds and certainly not people who think football can only be played using one formation, with no alternatives (no plan B, no plan C) and who can find players suitable for the requirements of an SPL side in urgent need of regeneration/redirection.

PJ, do you honestly believe that no quality would have applied if the club had invited applications?

Personally I have more faith than that. If St J can attract Lomas and Motherwell McCall then there is absolutely no reason why we couldn't attract the same level or higher.

Why we opted for Mglynn and then Locke is clearly down to the shift on developing the academy players as well as the influence of John Murray.

And what some of you are missing is I was directly replying to one poster saying Darren Murray is about our level of manager.

The Old Tolbooth

John, I know we are financially screwed right now. It just pisses me off when the drama queens exaggerate things and make out we are now a nothing club. We are still a high profile club with the 3rd biggest crowds in the country, and we will rise again.

I don't think we're being drama queens to be fair, no one is even certain if the club are still going to be here next season yet, therefore it's not unreasonable to assume the worst. I totally agree that we're a high profile club in Scotland, and that we'll rise again, no matter what happens to us.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Which to me is a high turnover of players!

Which to me is a high turnover of players!

Well you said player recruitment, which suggests you think we'll have a number of new players coming in?

Don't see it at all.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Well you said player recruitment, which suggests you think we'll have a number of new players coming in?

Don't see it at all.

The lower division players you refer to (or season long loans) will be the recruits.

Given that we should have a small bit of headroom budget wise with Zal, Webster and Barr leaving, that is where we will focus efforts on.

I reckon Wilson will stay and we will probably sign maybe 2 experienced players as well in the summer

Locke needs time not an over night fix. The season was the final now it's just a case of getting to summer and rebuilding and Locke has a huge summer on his hands. I still think irrespective of contract length takeover would maybe reevaluate whole management team. Locke deserved his chance as earned his stripes for me and we creating look a bit better for what it's worth. Wish season would end tomorrow. Derby game only thing worth liking fwd too.

winston churchill

The tea boys record as manager is shan.He was a blind linesman's help away from four pumpings from five games.

Fermit the Krog

The tea boys record as manager is shan.He was a blind linesman's help away from four pumpings from five games.

True tbh.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I reckon Wilson will stay and we will probably sign maybe 2 experienced players as well in the summer

Then we are fecked!

Don't agree with the JM fall guy line. He had a much better squad available to him that Gary has had. JM was awful.

Fermit the Krog

Don't agree with the JM fall guy line. He had a much better squad available to him that Gary has had. JM was awful.

JM got us to the final that Gary lost.

Francis Albert

FFS give it a rest with your 4-5-1, it didn't work earlier in the season, and it sure as hell isn't going to work now. Do you not remember McGlynn persisting with that formation and us not creating ANY chances for about 3 games in a row!? Our main problem today was our forwards not taking any of several chances that they had, as compared to Aberdeen. Our defence, earlier this season the strength of the team, now a joke.

No. Which three games? Whatever our faults this season failure to create chances hasn't been one of them.

No. Which three games? Whatever our faults this season failure to create chances hasn't been one of them.

Agree. We were absolutely dire today, but still could have got something from the game had Sutton not missed a sitter at 1-0, and had Ngoo not been honking all game.

Francis Albert

Much better? I'll give you the loss of Zal and Ryan, but on the other hand Gary has had Ngoo and Wilson from day one. Hardly night and day in terms of squad available.

As soon as he was appointed I knew it would be a bad decision, job is to big for him

What mistakes has Gary made?

In my book he has done well and looks like he has what it takes to be a great manager.

It's not his fault we have a huge injury list. Any manager would struggle to get results.

Time to judge him is next season.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Agree. We were absolutely dire today, but still could have got something from the game had Sutton not missed a sitter at 1-0, and had Ngoo not been honking all game.

Ngoo missed a sitter with a one-on-one as well. Both of them were garbage.

Fermit the Krog

In my book he has done well and looks like he has what it takes to be a great manager.

It's not his fault we have a huge injury list. Any manager would struggle to get results.

JM got us to the cup final that Gary lost.

Danny ****ing Lennon out thought him ffs.

Much better? I'll give you the loss of Zal and Ryan, but on the other hand Gary has had Ngoo and Wilson from day one. Hardly night and day in terms of squad available.

In fairness JM had Temps, Grainger, Paterson, Robinson, Mullen, Zaliukas, Gowser etc.

JM got us to the final that Gary lost.

Are you seriously suggesting JM is a better manager than Gary. Have you not noticed the change in how we play since Gary took over?

Blaming Gary for the current team position is like blaming the medics at a road crash for the mess the victims are in.

What absurd nonsense. Danny Lennon did have players who could strike a ball in front of goal though whereas we only had Stevo who could do that. We could and should have had the trophy won after 30mins but the players did not take the glorious chances they had.

But you bash on and blame Lockie.

Geoff Kilpatrick

For starters, failing to adjust to a St Bribery tactical switch in the final.

What are your criteria for a great manager please?

The defence has been awful since Zaliukas went out. No argument there. No one seems to be working on fixing it though.

I look forward to your "systemic" analysis.

The players we had available on the day were not good enough. Nothing to do with Gary.

Fermit the Krog

Are you seriously suggesting JM is a better manager than Gary. Have you not noticed the change in how we play since Gary took over?

Blaming Gary for the current team position is like blaming the medics at a road crash for the mess the victims are in.

You're away wi it.

But to answer your (only) question, yes, I have. He prefers two up top. It produces few goals and we concede lots.

How did Gary react to St Mirrens change at half time at Hampden, btw?

For starters, failing to adjust to a St Bribery tactical switch in the final.

What are your criteria for a great manager please?

The defence has been awful since Zaliukas went out. No argument there. No one seems to be working on fixing it though.

I look forward to your "systemic" analysis.

We could hardly put a team together for the final. What changes could he have made to win the game. We had very limited options available on the bench.

Fermit the Krog

What absurd nonsense. Danny Lennon did have players who could strike a ball in front of goal though whereas we only had Stevo who could do that. We could and should have had the trophy won after 30mins but the players did not take the glorious chances they had.

But you bash on and blame Lockie.

Ok, I will.

Geoff Kilpatrick

We could hardly put a team together for the final. What changes could he have made to win the game. We had very limited options available on the bench.

We could have switched to a 4-2-3-1 to counter McGowan, who was given the run of the park when they switched.

Geoff Kilpatrick

You're away wi it.

But to answer your (only) question, yes, I have. He prefers two up top. It produces few goals and we concede lots.

Igor, McCrae was McGlynn's biggest critic on here. For that reason, he is forcing himself to talk up anyone who followed McGlynn into the hot seat.

You're away wi it.

Did you really expect us to win this game? I didn't because I appreciated how weak our squad has become over the weeks heading up to the final.

With the players we currently have available I don't expect to win anymore games this season.

winston churchill

Taking Walker and Taouil off.

Fermit the Krog

Did you really expect us to win this game? I didn't because I appreciated how weak our squad has become over the weeks heading up to the final.

With the players we currently have available I don't expect to win anymore games this season.

Considering the position you've made for yourself on here, that's handy!

Night night.

Igor, McCrae was McGlynn's biggest critic on here. For that reason, he is forcing himself to talk up anyone who followed McGlynn into the hot seat.

Do you really think that Gary has the same quality of players available to him that JM had?

IMO JM didn't get the best out of the squad available to him.

I think Gary is doing well in much more difficult circumstances. Can't find fault in his team selections or tactics.

Considering the position you've made for yourself on here, that's handy!

Night night.

Our team is rank rotten just now... How is that Gary's fault?

Fermit the Krog

Do you really think that Gary has the same quality of players available to him that JM had?

I think Gary is doing well in much more difficult circumstances. Can't find fault in his team selections or tactics.

How did he react to St Mirrens change?

Before I go to bed.

Fermit the Krog

It's been rank for some time now McCrae.

You're seethe was directed somewhere else though, funnily enough.

Geoff Kilpatrick

At the start of the season, no.

At the time of the semi-final win, yes. The main difference being that Zal got injured and the defence has collapsed.

So by that logic, was McGlynn unlucky at the end of his tenure?

Franklin Delano Bluth

Gary Locke gets away with it because he is 'Hertz through and through'. McGlynn got it in the neck because he looks and talks funny.

It's essentially the way the club sell Locke's appointment to the brain dead section of the support and they lap it up. Locke isn't qualified enough for the top job, he doesn't have anywhere near enough experience and he doesn't have the ideas. Of course his team are shite as well, but he isn't good himself.

shaun.lawson

Our team's been rank rotten since August. How was that McGlynn's fault?

You and another poster were right about McGlynn, incidentally: spot on. Kudos. Except that you then made a classic, schoolboy error: as in your mind, anyone would be better than McGlynn, you hilariously rushed to hail Locke and acclaim him as a great manager in the making based on, well, nothing. Oops.

Truth is, Locke - with zero managerial experience whatsoever - represents a clear downgrade from McGlynn. He did what you'd been demanding: he went 4-4-2. Didn't and hasn't worked. He was completely out-thought by Danny Lennon in the final: not that I'm blaming him for that or anything, as Danny Lennon's got years on him in the management game. Locke's a total novice, and his appointment is an even more desperate move than McGlynn's was.

But KB being KB, posters invariably feel forced to stick to their positions in the face of reality - and this often goes on for months and months. Meaning I've no doubt you'll keep telling yourself that Locke is a great manager - when in fact, his school report would presently read: "Can't evaluate him - because to date, I've seen no work from him".

The team hasn't been rank Rotten since August.

Look at the players we have lost since then. Pretty pish now though.

Young managers are inexperienced.

Inexperienced managers make mistakes. What makes good managers is the ability to learn from their mistakes and progressively and continually improve.

What would be a significant help to Locke would be to have someone very experienced as a mentor.

Archived