Game of Thrones season 3

Budgie.

I take it my post was removed as it referred to Budgie's failed spolier.

I can't unread what I've read though :sob:

Sorry Gav. :(

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least you didn't post that;

:spoiler: Daenerys has Tyrion killed and marries Joffrey ;/spoiler:

Gavsy Van Gaverson

At least you didn't post that;

:spoiler: Daenerys has Tyrion killed and marries Joffrey ;/spoiler:

:wtf:

:wtf:

:rofl:

He's pulling your leg mate.

She actually murders Littlefinger and joins Caetlyn in a Civil Partnership! ;)

Valar Morghulis

:)

I decided to go with Roose Bolton. Going to be a big season forhim and if they stick to the books then it's him that stabs Robb through the heart.

Knowing the producers though, they'll probably change it to someone else!

I think he's one of the most interesting characters in the series, tbh. Very much like Tywin Lannister, but more dangerous, and without the wealth and status.

PaulHartley10

I didn't know Seth McFarlane has been pumping Emilia Clarke...

Where is that Mark McGhee smilie!

Craig Gordons Gloves

Just watched second episode. Jesus, it's boring. Too much going around and around, not enough action.

Valar Morghulis

Just watched second episode. Jesus, it's boring. Too much going around and around, not enough action.

There's a ton of action to come, though. It's going to gain momentum soon. Almost pissed myself at Jaime's one-liner about Renly and the Irone Throne!!

Chad Sexington

Trust me, this is the calm before the storm. I've read the books. Shit is going to go DOWN!! ;)

Valar Morghulis

Am I imagining things, or did I just see Mackenzie Crook?!?

Aye, that was him.

Aye, that was him.

And Dennis Pennis?!?

Classic episode for cameos.

Not to mention Boris Johnson in his ongoing role looking after Jaime Lannister.

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

2nd episode much like the 1st just re-introducing characters they couldnt fit in last week

the 1st half of book 3 was quite slow to be honest but the second half was immense so it should pick up soon

wasnt sure about the Catelyn remorse scene over Jon Snow.. think the producers asked for that to be added in to soften Catelyns stance over him a wee bit in eyes of viewers

nb dont open spoiler if havent read books

Jaime and Brienne taken by Bolton men and presumably onto Harrenhal: wonder if they are cutting out the Goat and the Brave Companions (although Qyeburn was at HH last week).. if so wonder who will cut Jaime's hand off

Starting to build up to the red wedding/stark downfall with dissent being muttered by karstark.

what is a shame on the show is that Robb's marriage/betrayal of the Freys doesnt have any real explanation other than him fancying a fit burd, whereas in the books he finds out Bran and Rickon are (supposedly) dead and seeks comfort in Jeyne, then marries her to save her honour

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

Am I imagining things, or did I just see Mackenzie Crook?!?

as Varamyr the warg? think so

Valar Morghulis

2nd episode much like the 1st just re-introducing characters they couldnt fit in last week

the 1st half of book 3 was quite slow to be honest but the second half was immense so it should pick up soon

wasnt sure about the Catelyn remorse scene over Jon Snow.. think the producers asked for that to be added in to soften Catelyns stance over him a wee bit in eyes of viewers

nb dont open spoiler if havent read books

Jaime and Brienne taken by Bolton men and presumably onto Harrenhal: wonder if they are cutting out the Goat and the Brave Companions (although Qyeburn was at HH last week).. if so wonder who will cut Jaime's hand off

Starting to build up to the red wedding/stark downfall with dissent being muttered by karstark.

what is a shame on the show is that Robb's marriage/betrayal of the Freys doesnt have any real explanation other than him fancying a fit burd, whereas in the books he finds out Bran and Rickon are (supposedly) dead and seeks comfort in Jeyne, then marries her to save her honour

Yeah, the Catelyn scene was a bit odd, but I think you're right that they needed something to make her more appealing. It's around this point in the books that she becomes aggravatingly depressing to read (Yes, her grief is understandable, but reading her POV chafes the balls, so to speak !).

The whole Robb/marriage fiasco was never adequately explained in the books imo (We were left to see it as somewhat of an immature decision made on the basis of honor, while at the same time dishonoring a sworn promise!), but potential consequences of his broken vows to the Freys were highlighted time and again. The show portrays the marriage similarly, but hasn't yet done enough to stress how big of a slight this is.

Valar Morghulis

as Varamyr the warg? think so

I think he's Orell. I'm pretty sure that's what Mance called him.

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

I think he's Orell. I'm pretty sure that's what Mance called him.

yeah think youre right. got confused as Jon kills orell in the book before he takes ygritte captive (IIRC) whilst orell is skinchanging, and thats why the eagle later attackes jon unprovoked despite then being controlled by Varamyr

ps youre right about Catelyns POV chapters in book 3 they are pretty depressing. A lot of Arya and Brans chapters are downright boring I'm glad they're skipping through a lot of it at the rate theyre going

Sergio Garcia

Episode 2 very similar to episode 1 more of a character catch up and scene setting than moving the story on, hoping it gathers pace soon and we start getting a bit more action and story progression.

Finally managed to catch episode 2.

Great new characters introduced. Meera and Jojen are exactly as I pictured them when reading the book, as was Granny Tyrell.

Thoros of Myr I pictured totally differently but absolutely love the way Pennis is portraying. Very different from the mystical, calculating character from the book.

Couple of wee things which stood out:

1. Loved the way they had Winterfell burning in the opening credits. Fantastic attention to detail.

2. Didn't like how the Hound called Arya a bitch. He's always been very defensive of and respectful towards the Stark girls so it seemed very out of character.

Don't know how anyone could find these first two episodes boring. This is top drawer TV, fine writing and excellent character acting all rolled into one.

The 2nd episode was better than the first, but like the entire series since the end of season 1 - highly disappointing.

I understand that things have to be trimmed to fit into 10 hour episodes but it just loses way too much for me.

Thoros of Myr is just completely wrong. I like the Dennis Pennis character incidentally but he's not the same.

I think Roose Bolton is all wrong as well. That actor is just nothing like what I imagined he'd be.

It's just ok but leaves me frustrated and disappointed.

I wonder why they didn't go for 13 x 1hr episodes like Sopranos / Wire? They would have been able to explain things better and actually portray the reasons that characters act in a certain way rather than "they just do".

It reminds me of the Golden Compass film. Characters just say and do certain things because they have to in order to complete the plot. There is not enough time or detail to explain why or for what motivation so it just renders parts of the plot as pointless or poorly explained. If you've read the books, you'll know why people do / say things and behave in certain ways. If you haven't, I just don't think people will understand what lies behind the immediately obvious.

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

The 2nd episode was better than the first, but like the entire series since the end of season 1 - highly disappointing.

I understand that things have to be trimmed to fit into 10 hour episodes but it just loses way too much for me.

Thoros of Myr is just completely wrong. I like the Dennis Pennis character incidentally but he's not the same.

I think Roose Bolton is all wrong as well. That actor is just nothing like what I imagined he'd be.

I wonder why they didn't go for 13 x 1hr episodes like Sopranos / Wire? They would have been able to explain things better and actually portray the reasons that characters act in a certain way rather than "they just do".

It reminds me of the Golden Compass film. Characters just say and do certain things because they have to in order to complete the plot. There is not enough time or detail to explain why or for what motivation so it just renders parts of the plot as pointless or poorly explained. If you've read the books, you'll know why people do / say things and behave in certain ways. If you haven't, I just don't think people will understand what lies behind the immediately obvious.

something I think will get harder as the series goes on unless they cut out a hell of a lot of characters. Martin introduces more and more POV characters in books 4 and 5, some for only a couple of chapters- so producers have choice of cutting out characters people have taken a liking too or trying to squeeze in more characters without much explanation for their background story etc..

something I think will get harder as the series goes on unless they cut out a hell of a lot of characters. Martin introduces more and more POV characters in books 4 and 5, some for only a couple of chapters- so producers have choice of cutting out characters people have taken a liking too or trying to squeeze in more characters without much explanation for their background story etc..

The reasons for this are crystal clear, it just leads to disappointment and the nagging feeling that it's "all wrong" and "not as good as the book".

I actually wish I hadn't read the books now as I think i'd be loving the TV series.

Chad Sexington

The reasons for this are crystal clear, it just leads to disappointment and the nagging feeling that it's "all wrong" and "not as good as the book".

I actually wish I hadn't read the books now as I think i'd be loving the TV series.

My Mrs actually gave that as a reason for not reading the books. She reckons it would ruin the TV show for her.

The TV show could never properly convey the complicated plot lines and sheer volume of characters in the books. If you make your peace with that you might start enjoying it more. I see it more as it a comic strip version of the books and still manage to enjoy it hugely. :)

I remember thinking when I was reading the books that there were long periods of 'calm' before the 'storms' all seemed to gather at once. The calm allowed for really good character development, cloak and dagger politics and the reveal of some of the history of the Kingdoms. I think to an extent they are finding it difficult to translate these calm parts to the screen.

I think in order to keep the audience interested they are trying to bring some of the newer characters in as comic relief (Pennis as Myr, Crook as Orell and the comedic scene with the Astapor translator) This means distancing themselves more from the book but it maybe a sacrifice that needs to be made.

In terms of Bolton, I think we will see his character emerge over the series. I think he is keeping his evil side (flaying prisoners etc) under control in a Jekyll and Hyde style.

My Mrs actually gave that as a reason for not reading the books. She reckons it would ruin the TV show for her.

The TV show could never properly convey the complicated plot lines and sheer volume of characters in the books. If you make your peace with that you might start enjoying it more. I see it more as it a comic strip version of the books and still manage to enjoy it hugely. :)

Agree with this. :thumbsup:

I've started seeing them as two completely different things now Cosa and I'm actually pleased with each new scene, plot change and character they do.

It's a bit like a reboot in some senses and I don't have the same sense of "that's not how it should be" as I did with the film adaptation of LOTR.

Valar Morghulis

This would be ideal, but I think this is a budget issue more than anything else. They're filming in several different countries, and have to incorporate CGI, etc.

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

thought this w/e's episode was alright, theres just so much going on and so many characters it hard for them to fit it all in and it feels like none of the characters (other than the main 5/6) get enough space to develop or have their story understood by non book readers

bit of light relief with the slavers again and also the small council chair arrangement

(its a shame they cut the book scene where twyin, to Cerseis' shock and Tyrions pleasure, starts listing potential suitors for her like Balon Greyjoy)

the whore scene was great and even better Tyrion and Bron getting Pod to give them tips after

the stream I used didnt have dialogue for when Jaime's hand was cut off (who was that guy supposed to be just a random Bolton bannerman) some random song came on :lol: so I'll watch that back on sky+ tomorrow given its the main scene of the episode

Valar Morghulis

thought this w/e's episode was alright, theres just so much going on and so many characters it hard for them to fit it all in and it feels like none of the characters (other than the main 5/6) get enough space to develop or have their story understood by non book readers

bit of light relief with the slavers again and also the small council chair arrangement

(its a shame they cut the book scene where twyin, to Cerseis' shock and Tyrions pleasure, starts listing potential suitors for her like Balon Greyjoy)

the whore scene was great and even better Tyrion and Bron getting Pod to give them tips after

the stream I used didnt have dialogue for when Jaime's hand was cut off (who was that guy supposed to be just a random Bolton bannerman) some random song came on :lol: so I'll watch that back on sky+ tomorrow given its the main scene of the episode

The song was some rocked out version of 'The Bear and the Maiden Fair.'

I've no idea who the bearded bloke's supposed to be. I've not heard him referred to by name. He's obviously not Vargo Hoat, or if he is, they've decided he doesnae need a daft lisp.

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

The song was some rocked out version of 'The Bear and the Maiden Fair.'

I've no idea who the bearded bloke's supposed to be. I've not heard him referred to by name. He's obviously not Vargo Hoat, or if he is, they've decided he doesnae need a daft lisp.

thanks in the first stream I watched it kicked in halfway through the Jaime scene as opposed to the end credits, found a better stream for those last 30 secs though :lol:

they had Bolton banners last two episodes so I think theyve just cut out the bloody mummers altogether.

amsterjambo

Only thing that annoys me is the characters having completely normal 'earth' names, but with kewl phantazie spelling, such as Robb and Petyr.

I just imagine Rob is spelled with one b and everything's fine though.

Only thing that annoys me is the characters having completely normal 'earth' names, but with kewl phantazie spelling, such as Robb and Petyr.

I just imagine Rob is spelled with one b and everything's fine though.

At least there's not random apostrophes scattered throughout the names.

Valar Morghulis

That's more like it!!!! Best episode of the season and one of the best episodes overall, imo! Lots of talking points, but I will wait for everyone to catch up.

Archived